Thread: California Becomes the Sixth State to Legalize Marijuana

California Becomes the Sixth State to Legalize Marijuana

California Legalizes Marijuana
    Six states have now decided to tolerate cannabis consumption without a doctor's note.

Jacob Sullum
    Nov. 8, 2016

Today, two decades after California became the first state to legalize marijuana for medical use, voters in that state finally got around to letting people consume cannabis for fun. With 16 percent of precincts reporting, California's legalization initiative, Proposition 64, was favored by 56 percent of voters, and A.P. is calling the race.

California is by far the most populous state to legalize marijuana. Approval of Proposition 64, which creates an uninterrupted pot-friendly zone along the West Coast, by itself more than triples the number of Americans who live in jurisdictions that see fit to tolerate cannabis consumption without a doctor's note. That development will dramatically increase pressure on Congress to accommodate states' rejection of marijuana prohibition.

Proposition 64 lets adults 21 or older possess up to an ounce of marijuana in public, share up to an ounce at a time with other adults, and grow up to six plants at home, where they may keep the produce of those plants. Those provisions take effect right away.

The initiative charges the California Department of Food and Agriculture with overseeing marijuana growers, the Department of Public Health with overseeing manufacturers and testing facilities, and the Department of Consumer Affairs with overseeing distributors and retailers. The departments are supposed to begin issuing licenses in 2018.

read more:
    http://reason.com/blog/2016/11/08/ca...izes-marijuana

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

I believe the downside of this for cannabis users is that it raised the age from 18 to 21. Prior to this new law, it was easy for 18-21 years olds to get medical marijuana cards. Penalties are now greater for underage use. And it makes many edibles illegal now too.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I believe the downside of this for cannabis users is that it raised the age from 18 to 21. Prior to this new law, it was easy for 18-21 years olds to get medical marijuana cards. Penalties are now greater for underage use. And it makes many edibles illegal now too.
    it
    also added bunch of taxes that will likely make it more expensive. I would have voted no if I lived in Cali (and I'm smoking a bowl right now. )

New era opens in California with first sales of recreational marijuana

By Jill Tucker and David Downs
    January 1, 2018

Before sunrise on New Year’s Day, cashiers welcomed the first legal sales of recreational marijuana in California, launching a new industry expected to bring in billions of dollars while accepting new regulations and taxes.

The day has been long anticipated by cannabis advocates who pushed for voters to pass Proposition 64 in November 2016, largely decriminalizing marijuana and allowing — starting Monday — for the commercial sale of products to adults 21 or older.

In Berkeley, Mayor Jesse Arreguin and Democratic state Sen. Nancy Skinner joined a couple dozen people outside the Berkeley Patients Group for the first sales.

“I’m stoked about this historic moment not just for Berkeley but for the state of California.” Arreguin said. “This is a long time coming.”

The first sale happened at 6 a.m. Chris Conrad and Mikki Norris, longtime marijuana advocates, bought three joints as the crowd cheered “Happy New Year!”

http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/articl...f-12464823.php

Now lets get it legalized in the other 44 states.

At least I can still order a happy meal in my state. Suck it, San Francisco.
    Quote Originally Posted by timosman View Post
    This is getting silly.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    It started silly.
    T.S. Eliot's The Hollow Men

"One of the penalties for refusing to participate in politics is that you end up being governed by your inferiors." - Plato

We Are Running Out of Time - Mini Me

Quote Originally Posted by Philhelm
    I part ways with "libertarianism" when it transitions from ideology grounded in logic into self-defeating autism for the sake of ideological purity.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.