Thread: Zika SHRINKS BALLS 90%, Permanent Male Infertility

Zika SHRINKS BALLS 90%, Permanent Male Infertility

shrunken baby heads... meh
    shrunken man balls? now I'm scared.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...hers-warn.html
    Zika may cause men's testicles to SHRINK by up to 90 per cent and permanently reduce fertility, medical researchers warn

• ZIKA infection could cause lasting infertility in men, experts in the US warn
    • Doctors found infection in mice caused their testicles to shrink by 90%
    • If findings apply to humans, it could spark an infertility epidemic caused be the disease, experts say

By Colin Fernandez for the Daily Mail
    Published: 12:00 EDT, 31 October 2016 | Updated: 16:07 EDT, 31 October 2016

923 shares
    View comments

ZIKA infection could cause lasting infertility and lead to men's testicles shrinking, medical researchers warn.
    Doctors warn that if the 'dramatic' findings, in mice, apply to humans it could lead to an epidemic of infertility caused by the disease.
    It is not yet known whether the 90 per cent shrinkage in mice would apply to humans – but doctors believe at the very least the virus is likely to reduce sperm counts and testosterone levels in affected men.
    +3

ZIKA infection could cause lasting infertility and lead to men's testicles shrinking, medical researchers warn (stock image)

The virus is already known to leads to shrunken heads in babies whose mothers catch the infection, which is carried in tropical countries and has recently been found in the tourist hotspot of Florida.
    The virus has the unusual ability to cross the barrier that separates the male reproductive organs from the blood stream.
    Michael Diamond, of Washington University School of Medicine said: 'We undertook this study to understand the consequences of Zika virus infection in males.
    RELATED ARTICLES

'While our study was in mice -and with the caveat that we don't yet know whether Zika has the same effect in men – it does suggest that men might face low testosterone levels and low sperm counts after Zika infection, affecting their infertility.'
    The virus was already known to persist in semen for months – but it was not known what impact this could have on an infected man.
    Research published in Nature Genetics, Professor Diamond and colleagues infected mice with Zika.
    After two weeks the testicles had shrunken significantly, their 'internal structure collapsing' with many dead or dying cells, the researchers said.
    And after three weeks, the mices' testicles had shrunk to a tenth of their normal size.
    Their testicles did not heal even after six weeks, when the virus had cleared from their bodies.
    +3

Doctors warn that if the 'dramatic' findings, in mice, apply to humans it could lead to an epidemic of infertility caused by the disease

Professor Diamond said: 'We don't know for certain if the damage is irreversible, but I expect so, because the cells that hold the internal structure in place have been infected and destroyed.'
    The Zika virus was found to attack Sertoli cells, which do not regenerate, and which nourish growing sperm cells.
    Infected mice were four times less likely to get a female mouse pregnant, their sperm numbers fell tenfold, and their testosterone levels were very low.
    Co-author Kelle Moley said: 'This is the only virus I know of that causes such severe symptoms of infertility. There are very few microbes that can cross the barrier that seprates the testes from the bloodstream to infect the testes directly.
    Because the study of Zika is relatively new, no studies have been published linking infertility to men with Zika.
    'People often don't find out they're infertile until they try to have children, and that could be years or decades after infection.
    'I think it is more likely doctors will start seeing men with symptoms of low testosterone, and they will work backward to make the connection to Zika.'

+3

It is not yet known whether the 90 per cent shrinkage in mice would apply to humans – but doctors believe at the very least the virus will reduce sperm counts and testosterone levels in affected men (file picture)

The effects of low testosterone, which can be diagnosed with a simple blood test, include low sex drive, erectile dysfunction, fatigue and loss of body hair and muscle.
    'If testosterone levels drop in men like they did in the mice, I think we'll start to see men coming forward saying, 'I don't feel like myself,' and we'll find out about it that way.
    'You might also ask 'Wouldn't a man notice if his testicles shrank?' Well, probably.
    But we don't really know how the severity in men might compare with the severity in mice. I assume that something is happening to the testes of men, but whether it's as dramatic as in the mice is hard to say.'
    As of 26 October 2016, there have been 244 diagnosed cases of Zika caught by travellers returning home to the UK since 2015.
    British experts not involved in the research said the findings may mean humans could be affected.
    Dr Peter Barlow, British Society for Immunology spokesperson and Reader in Immunology & Infection at Edinburgh Napier University said: 'While it is currently unclear if Zika virus infection would cause reduced testes size and fertility in man, this study does raise concerns that Zika virus could potentially have direct effects on male fertility. Therefore, more work is needed to determine if these observations in mice would translate to men.'
    Dr Derek Gatherer, Lecturer in the Division of Biomedical and Life Sciences, Lancaster University, said: 'It's been known for a while that Zika virus in men can find its way into the reproductive organs and may then go on to be sexually transmitted, but this study in mice is the first suggestion that this passage through the reproductive tract may actually be damaging.'
    Prof Richard Sharpe, Honorary Professor, MRC Centre for Reproductive Health, and expert in male reproductive health, University of Edinburgh, said there were already anecdotal reports of testicular and groin pain in infected men, but some virus effects could be 'species specific'.
    But he said: 'the reality is that we do not know yet if effects shown here in the mouse can or will occur in humans.'

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    shrunken man balls? now I'm scared.
    You like big balls and you cannot lie

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

And you thought "environment" was the ultimate buzz word for getting things funded.

Save the ball$!!!

This article is ridiculous. Humans have been infected with Zika. No need for mouse studies to find out if testicles shrink or fertility is effected. Just look at the humans who have had it.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Zika virus may cause men's testicles to SHRINK by up to 90 per cent

Daily Mail-Oct 31, 2016
    ZIKA infection could cause lasting infertility and lead to men's testicles ... After two weeks the testicles had shrunken significantly, their 'internal ...

Concern for men's health mounts as Zika batters testicles of mice in ...
    Ars Technica-1 hour ago

The Zika virus 'could SHRINK a man's balls, lower his testosterone ...

The Sun-Oct 31, 2016

Zika causes testicles to shrink & infertility in mice, alarming sign for ...

RT-15 hours ago

Zika shrinks mice testicles, damaging fertility

In-Depth-CNN-22 hours ago

Zika Infection Causes Reduced Fertility in Mice

In-Depth-Science Daily-22 hours ago

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Those poor mice.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

muh grants
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Good news for the Zero Population Growth types...
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by bunklocoempire View Post
    muh grants
    muh scrote

I'm 60.

not an issue.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom