Thread: Do all voting machines have anti-virus installed now?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    there is no way to make electronic voting hackproof, just got to use paper ballots.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by Warrior_of_Freedom View Post
    there is no way to make electronic voting hackproof, just got to use paper ballots.
    It's simply impossible. You have to have to have a paper trail. Either one by itself is subject to manipulation. It becomes very difficult when you have both, if done correctly.

it won't be lol the election is rigged, but not everywhere, only the key states the chosen one needs to win will have the machines tampered with. For god's sake,t hey have senile old men and women running most of these polling booths. They don't even know the first step of how a magic toaster works.
    A savage barbaric tribal society where thugs parade the streets and illegally assault and murder innocent civilians, yeah that is the alternative to having police. Oh wait, that is the police

We cannot defend freedom abroad by deserting it at home.
    - Edward R. Murrow

...I think we have moral obligations to disobey unjust laws, because non-cooperation with evil is as much as a moral obligation as cooperation with good. - MLK Jr.

How to trigger a liberal: "I didn't get vaccinated."

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    how would anti virus help?
    Programed errors would not be affected.

I don't use any anti virus on my laptop.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post

Smart man. Who needs a resident snitch anyway?

Voting machines are not connected to the internet so to hack them you need physically access to a machine. 75% are still using paper ballots.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    how would anti virus help?
    Programed errors would not be affected.

Used the term AV too broadly.. should have used term security protections against voting machines tempering.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Voting machines are not connected to the internet so to hack them you need physically access to a machine. 75% are still using paper ballots.
    The concern expressed was manipulation, your comment does not address that and only points to a subset of potential threats.
    While most virus infections of electronic devices these days occur over internet, that is not the only way for machines to get infected. Do you recall news how Israel infected Iran's computers that were not on internet.

Andrew Appel and a Sequoia AVC Advantage voting machine. | Alex Halderman
    The Friday Cover

How to Hack an Election in 7 Minutes

With Russia already meddling in 2016, a ragtag group of obsessive tech experts is warning that stealing the ultimate prize—victory on Nov. 8—would be child’s play.
    By Ben Wofford
    August 05, 2016

Trump on Weiner email bombshell: 'Boy, did I call that'
    When Princeton professor Andrew Appel decided to hack into a voting machine, he didn’t try to mimic the Russian attackers who hacked into the Democratic National Committee's database last month. He didn’t write malicious code, or linger near a polling place where the machines can go unguarded for days.

Instead, he bought one online.

With a few cursory clicks of a mouse, Appel parted with $82 and became the owner of an ungainly metallic giant called the Sequoia AVC Advantage, one of the oldest and vulnerable, electronic voting machines in the United States (among other places it’s deployed in Louisiana, New Jersey, Virginia and Pennsylvania). No sooner did a team of bewildered deliverymen roll the 250-pound device into a conference room near Appel’s cramped, third-floor office than the professor set to work. He summoned a graduate student named Alex Halderman, who could pick the machine’s lock in seven seconds. Clutching a screwdriver, he deftly wedged out the four ROM chips—they weren’t soldered into the circuit board, as sense might dictate—making it simple to replace them with one of his own: A version of modified firmware that could throw off the machine’s results, subtly altering the tally of votes, never to betray a hint to the voter. The attack was concluded in minutes. To mark the achievement, his student snapped a photo of Appel—oblong features, messy black locks and a salt-and-pepper beard—grinning for the camera, fists still on the circuit board, as if to look directly into the eyes of the American taxpayer: Don’t look at me—you’re the one who paid for this thing.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...minutes-214144

Yep, the vans full of paper ballots "get lost" on the way to being counted.
    I am the spoon.

it won't be lol the election is rigged, but not everywhere, only the key states the chosen one needs to win will have the machines tampered with. For god's sake,t hey have senile old men and women running most of these polling booths. They don't even know the first step of how a magic toaster works.
    What the $#@! is a magic toaster?
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Yep, the vans full of paper ballots "get lost" on the way to being counted.
    Must have been the same drivers that the RNC convention used for the Ron Paul people last time around
    “…let us teach them that all who draw breath are of equal worth, and that those who seek to press heel upon the throat of liberty, will fall to the cry of FREEDOM!!!” – Spartacus, War of the Damned

BTC: 1AFbCLYU3G1dkbsSJnk3spWeEwpqYVC2Pq

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    The concern expressed was manipulation, your comment does not address that and only points to a subset of potential threats.
    While most virus infections of electronic devices these days occur over internet, that is not the only way for machines to get infected. Do you recall news how Israel infected Iran's computers that were not on internet.

Andrew Appel and a Sequoia AVC Advantage voting machine. | Alex Halderman
    The Friday Cover

How to Hack an Election in 7 Minutes

With Russia already meddling in 2016, a ragtag group of obsessive tech experts is warning that stealing the ultimate prize—victory on Nov. 8—would be child’s play.
    By Ben Wofford
    August 05, 2016

Trump on Weiner email bombshell: 'Boy, did I call that'
    When Princeton professor Andrew Appel decided to hack into a voting machine, he didn’t try to mimic the Russian attackers who hacked into the Democratic National Committee's database last month. He didn’t write malicious code, or linger near a polling place where the machines can go unguarded for days.

Instead, he bought one online.

With a few cursory clicks of a mouse, Appel parted with $82 and became the owner of an ungainly metallic giant called the Sequoia AVC Advantage, one of the oldest and vulnerable, electronic voting machines in the United States (among other places it’s deployed in Louisiana, New Jersey, Virginia and Pennsylvania). No sooner did a team of bewildered deliverymen roll the 250-pound device into a conference room near Appel’s cramped, third-floor office than the professor set to work. He summoned a graduate student named Alex Halderman, who could pick the machine’s lock in seven seconds. Clutching a screwdriver, he deftly wedged out the four ROM chips—they weren’t soldered into the circuit board, as sense might dictate—making it simple to replace them with one of his own: A version of modified firmware that could throw off the machine’s results, subtly altering the tally of votes, never to betray a hint to the voter. The attack was concluded in minutes. To mark the achievement, his student snapped a photo of Appel—oblong features, messy black locks and a salt-and-pepper beard—grinning for the camera, fists still on the circuit board, as if to look directly into the eyes of the American taxpayer: Don’t look at me—you’re the one who paid for this thing.

http://www.politico.com/magazine/sto...minutes-214144
    In your example, he had to physically alter the machine. Supports my statement. For the Iranian example, it is believed that a USB drive plugged into one of their computers (again, physical access to a machine) was the source of infection.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-30-2016 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by kpitcher View Post
    Must have been the same drivers that the RNC convention used for the Ron Paul people last time around
    That's what I was referencing.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    In your example, he had to physically alter the machine. Supports my statement.
    Ok, remote vs physically local threat are factors but even 25% of voting machines with risk of vote manipulation would cause risk of election manipulation/rigging in a close race, right? Even 5% or fewer tempered machines could.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    It's simply impossible. You have to have to have a paper trail. Either one by itself is subject to manipulation. It becomes very difficult when you have both, if done correctly.
    That seems by far the best way to me. Electrons + paper. If the totals don't add up for each you have a problem.