Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 11 Reasons Your ‘Concern’ for Fat People’s Health Isn’t Helping Anyone

11 Reasons Your ‘Concern’ for Fat People’s Health Isn’t Helping Anyone

11 Reasons Your ‘Concern’ for Fat People’s Health Isn’t Helping Anyone

http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01/...g-is-bull$#@!/

1. Because Stereotyped Assumptions About Someone’s Weight Are Oppressive

You claim to be worried about a fat person, and the first thing you think about is diabetes.
    Okay.

What about the negative judgment that they’re subjected to from people – both from individuals and society as a whole – and the impact that has on their lives?

Think about what it must be like for larger people – that is, most people living in the United States – to confront daily in the papers, magazines, television shows, and commercials that their bodies are unattractive and constitute a horrifying public health crisis.
    To hear assumptions from dietitians and other healthcare practitioners that because of a physical characteristic, their weight, they must be unhealthy and engaging in poor self-care.

To then have people on the Internet dedicating entire comment threads to berating them.

Everyone – fat or thin – is severely harmed by this message. And as social justice activists, it’s first and foremost your job to show empathy to marginalized folks – and then look inward to examine your unchallenged assumptions.

As Marilyn Wann famously says in her weight diversity talks, “The only thing anyone can accurately diagnose when looking at a fat person is their own level of weight prejudice.”

2. Because Fat Doesn’t Kill

There is a commonly quoted statistic that people allow to fuel the fat-shaming fire, and that is this: that “obesity” is the second leading cause of preventable death in the US.

Let’s burst that bubble right here: It’s not true.

And yes, of course if you Google it, a bunch of health organizations will come up, quoting it as fact. But here’s why: because a 2004 CDC-sponsored study stated that approximately 350,000 deaths per year are related to being “overweight” or “obese,” second only to smoking.

But in 2005, the same journal published a re-analysis with more scientifically accurate results, putting the number closer to 25,000 – a 94% difference.

But because it’s much easier to fear-monger by telling people they’re likely to die, the fact that it was a mistake and that you have more or less equal chances of dying in a car accident and dying from disease related to “obesity” isn’t widely publicized to the American people.

So if you used to think that fat was deadly and that’s what you were using to help “motivate” people to thinness, you can stop doing that now.

In reality, if you want to use the oft-quoted BMI scale (more on that later), scientific evidence actually indicates that people categorized as “overweight” live longer than those categorized as “normal,” and most “obese” people live similarly long lives as their “normal” counterparts.

3. Because Fat Doesn’t Cause Disease Either

Right. So if fat itself isn’t the problem, then what about diabetes and heart disease, which we’ve been socialized to believe are “obesity-related” illnesses? Don’t those lead to death?

Well, yes.

And it makes sense that people think that fat, then, is the problem. After all, there are, indeed, diseases (like diabetes and heart disease) that are more common in heavier people.

But there are also higher incidences of death by drowning in places where there are more ice cream sales.

So, let’s have a quick lesson in stats, shall we?

Correlation does not equal causation.
    Just because some factors, on the surface, seem related doesn’t mean that they have a causal relationship. It’s not an easy cause-and-effect equation, where situation A results in situation B.

Take the drowning-and-ice-cream scenario. People aren’t drowning because of ice cream, although it might seem that way on the surface. Rather, both drowning and the sale of ice cream are more likely to happen at the beach. The beach, in this case, is what we might call a confounding factor.

Similarly, there are confounding factors that complicate the relationship between fat and disease.
    For example, one hugely important factor is that of dieting. And not that those who diet are more likely to be healthy – quite the opposite, actually.

Both dieting and weight cycling – that is, the process of going on a diet, losing weight, regaining the weight (and sometimes more), then going on another diet, losing weight, regaining the weight, and on and on and on – increase inflammation.
    And inflammation itself is actually a risk factor for many diseases that are typically blamed on “obesity,” like diabetes and heart disease.
    And who do you think is more likely to have lived a life of constant dieting and weight cycling? People of size.
    Correlation. But no causation.

That is to say, it’s not as simple as it seems on the surface. And just because both fat and disease are present does not mean that the former caused the latter.

4. Because, If Anything, Fatphobia Causes Adverse Health Effects

Continue reading: http://everydayfeminism.com/2016/01/...g-is-bull$#@!/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Oh for Pete's sake........

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Oh for Pete's sake........
    You're not helping Pete's self esteem and mental health. We need to promote a healthy body image in order to promote mental health.

Quote Originally Posted by PositiveBodyImage View Post
    You're not helping Pete's self esteem and mental health. We need to promote a healthy body image in order to promote mental health.
    "We" don't need to support $#@!......

Take that mouse in your pocket and put it on your next sammich......

"We" don't need to support $#@!......

Take that mouse in your pocket and put it on your next sammich......
    We, as a collective society, must end fat shaming and fatphobia.

We, as a collective society, must end fat shaming and fatphobia.
    I'm not part of "your" society.....

Not now, not ever.

I'm not part of "your" society.....

Not now, not ever.
    This is the society you and your fellow cis-male whites created. Now it is your duty to replace your oppressive patriarchy with an inclusive society based on tolerance and equality for all.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This is the society you and your fellow cis-male whites created. Now it is your duty to replace your oppressive patriarchy with an inclusive society based on tolerance and equality for all.
    No it's not.

Best you can hope for is a bad aim........

No it's not.

Best you can hope for is a bad aim........
    And this is why we need to disarm white males!

Troll level: expert.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Hah, I know the OP is trolling here but for those who don't know the OP is total BS

Science Proves It: Fat-Shaming Works
    http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/0...-good-science/

Milo: ‘100% Of Fat People Are F**ing Gross’
    http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/0...-shaming-good/
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Hah, I know the OP is trolling here but for those who don't know the OP is total BS

Science Proves It: Fat-Shaming Works
    http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/0...-good-science/

Milo: ‘100% Of Fat People Are F**ing Gross’
    http://www.breitbart.com/milo/2016/0...-shaming-good/
    I'm not surprised someone posted that self-hating, white nationalist transphobic, fatphobic, misogynist racist and his radical right-wing website.

LOL. Well played. You fat $#@!.

I don't give a crap if someone's fat as long as I don't have to buy their food.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't give a crap if someone's fat
    Well you should. And you should celebrate their body.

I watch Oprah.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

I watch Oprah.
    The Oprah Winfrey Show has been off he air for 5 years!

I'm starting to think this isn't the forum for me.

The Oprah Winfrey Show has been off he air for 5 years!
    Well, The View was on at the gym today but I think Whoopi had the day off.

I'm starting to think this isn't the forum for me.

I ate a piece of Halloween candy in solidarity with fat people. I'm such a good person.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I ate a piece of Halloween candy in solidarity with fat people. I'm such a good person.
    You should ask Sola_Fide if you really are good.

It isn't solidarity. You are just offending them again. If you want to sympathize with them, you need to eat a garbage bag full of candy every day until you weigh as much as they do.

Is he fat?

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    It isn't solidarity. You are just offending them again. If you want to sympathize with them, you need to eat a garbage bag full of candy every day until you weigh as much as they do.
    Next time, I will buy King sized candy bars.

I ate two mini Baby Ruth bars. They looked like little turds but they were good. Do you think SF can suggest a gooder candy bar?

Next time, I will buy King sized candy bars.
    That's a start. As long as you understand that you won't be a good person until you put on a few hundred pounds.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast