Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Should panhandlers be required to have permits? (not The Onion)

I don't mind them unless they get aggressive. I've been known to give if think they are truly needy. There used to be a guy that hung out near our corner store who was homeless and a severe diabetic. I always tried to give him a few bucks when I could. He wasn't a drinker or druggie, just ill and incapable of helping himself. But for the grace of God, go I. Some though are just professionals and lately we've also had a bunch of gypsies coming up to the car.

As some of you know, I found myself having to do a fundraiser this year to help get my son some medical care that went above and beyond my resources. I never thought of it as begging even though it was mortifying having to do it, but I guess some see it that way. I would hope most people would do whatever they had to to help their children. I did and now am working 60 hours a week which will probably kill me sooner rather than later but you do what you have to do.
    Last edited by Carlybee; 10-29-2016 at 06:09 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    I don't mind them unless they get aggressive. I've been known to give if think they are truly needy. There used to be a guy that hung out near our corner store who was homeless and a severe diabetic. I always tried to give him a few bucks when I could. He wasn't a drinker or druggie, just ill and incapable of helping himself. But for the grace of God, go I. Some though are just professionals and lately we've also had a bunch of gypsies coming up to the car.

As some of you know, I found myself having to do a fundraiser this year to help get my son some medical care that went above and beyond my resources. I never thought of it as begging even though it was mortifying having to do it, but I guess some see it that way. I would hope most people would do whatever they had to to help their children. I did and now am working 60 hours a week which will probably kill me sooner rather than later but you do what you have to do.
    My comment earlier came off as rather $#@!ty and I didn't mean for it to. I'm sorry, Carly. I would do anything to help my kid, too. I hope your son gets the help he needs.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    You know what, presence and Ender, you can tell a lot about a person by who they respect, defend, and care about.

You guys feel that way for the man-shaped detritus you find lying all over the pavement.

I, in contrast, have more sympathy for the productive working people they harass and pickpocket.

To each his own.

And presence, thank you for your condescending cut-and-paste poem. I generally agree with it. By stating that one shouldn't fill one's house with cats, I was merely stating the obvious, a thing everyone already knows and agrees with, for the purpose of demonstrating a point via parallelism. I don't go around advising cat ladies to change their ways.

I've always been good to you, presence. Polite. Helpful. Now you won't even answer a simple question I've asked you twice. And you're going to try to make me out as if I'm any more censorious than you or any other human? Just because I guess you love and admire beggars and cat ladies, and I (decidedly) do not? Come on, presence.
    Hebrews 13:16 Do not neglect to do good and to share what you have, for such sacrifices are pleasing to God.

Luke 3:10-11 And the people asked him, saying, What shall we do then? He answereth and saith unto them, He that hath two coats, let him impart to him that hath none; and he that hath meat, let him do likewise.

Matthew 5:42 Give to everyone who asks you for something. Don’t turn anyone away who wants to borrow something from you.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My comment earlier came off as rather $#@!ty and I didn't mean for it to. I'm sorry, Carly. I would do anything to help my kid, too. I hope your son gets the help he needs.
    He is, thank you but brain injuries are a lifetime thing unfortunately. I get annoyed myself with frivolous fundraisers and professional panhandlers.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    professional panhandlers.
    Exactly! These people are professionals, and it's sad that the squishy-hearted rubes fall for it. Marks. Just sad.

Exactly! These people are professionals, and it's sad that the squishy-hearted rubes fall for it. Marks. Just sad.
    Hmmm......

I think you might be familiar with these verses:

16 And also, ye yourselves will succor those that stand in need of your succor; ye will administer of your substance unto him that standeth in need; and ye will not suffer that the beggar putteth up his petition to you in vain, and turn him out to perish.

17 Perhaps thou shalt say: The man has brought upon himself his misery; therefore I will stay my hand, and will not give unto him of my food, nor impart unto him of my substance that he may not suffer, for his punishments are just—

18 But I say unto you, O man, whosoever doeth this the same hath great cause to repent; and except he repenteth of that which he hath done he perisheth forever, and hath no interest in the kingdom of God.

19 For behold, are we not all beggars? Do we not all depend upon the same Being, even God, for all the substance which we have, for both food and raiment, and for gold, and for silver, and for all the riches which we have of every kind?
    There is no spoon.

Ender, you're so holy! You're so holy!

I'm not worthy of your presence. What more can I say? What can any of us?

I know! Since I have your ear for a moment, I'll ask what so many of us have been wondering: When will you be staging your Second Coming?

Ender, you're so holy! You're so holy!

I'm not worthy of your presence. What more can I say? What can any of us?

I know! Since I have your ear for a moment, I'll ask what so many of us have been wondering: When will you be staging your Second Coming?
    Soon, my friend, soon.
    There is no spoon.

What Ender-Jesus Wants for Us?

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    No one is safe from the chattering mass of legal thieves, not even hobos.

Next they will require stray cats to have permits to walk down the street.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

What Ender-Jesus Wants for Us?

What I want for all:

There is no spoon.

And yet, you keep voting with your wallet for this (actually, I don't think you yourself probably give very much nor very often to beggars. You just like berating me for daring to criticize them for being horrible. ):

[IMG]https://********************************/2015/09/150902_homeless_jcrice_103.jpg?quality=90&strip=al l&w=664&h=441&crop=1[/IMG]

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    And yet, you keep voting with your wallet for this (actually, I don't think you yourself probably give very much nor very often to beggars. You just like berating me for daring to criticize them for being horrible. ):

[IMG]https://********************************/2015/09/150902_homeless_jcrice_103.jpg?quality=90&strip=al l&w=664&h=441&crop=1[/IMG]

I'm a Minister Under a Vow of Poverty.

My life is dedicated to helping the poor, neglected, hungry, and needy. I have helped many homeless and found them to be good and trustworthy when treated humanly.
    Last edited by Ender; 11-03-2016 at 04:37 PM.
    There is no spoon.

This is my Jesus:

There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    This is my Jesus:

Love others. Don't ever judge or criticize them.
    Oh please. You judge and criticize others all the time. You are (fairly harshly) criticizing me in this very thread, for example.

You prefer to criticize everyday Americans who actually work for a living. "Boobus," "the Haters," -- yes, you are ever battling the "hate of the American people."

I, on the other hand, am, yes, willing to criticize those who are bums. Yes, I see them as more deserving of criticism.

You look down on and despise normal, successful, prosperous people -- the "spoiled brats" as you see them.

I, on the other hand, am merely willing to tell the truth about street people: they have totally messed up their lives, just ripped them to shreds, destroyed their lives, betrayed their families, and ruined their minds on drugs and alcohol. That's why they are on the street in a nation full of homeless shelters and government handout programs. And that's the real street people (who I actually have at least some sympathy for, even though I do not believe giving them money will help them). The beggars I've mostly been criticizing in this thread, that I've been saying it's stupid to give to, and destructive to allow to occupy your property, are the scammers, the professionals. They deserve criticism, and exposure, so good-hearted but naive people are not exploited by them.

Your response to the fact that "These people are professionals! They are not really poor!" is not to address that fact at all, but to quote scripture at me to prove how holy you are, how deplorable and wicked I am, and how I should give everything I own to anyone who asks for it. Apparently facts don't matter, reality doesn't matter. All that matters is that we accept your particular wresting of a few particular verses in the Bible and, quote:

"Give to everyone who asks you for something. Don’t turn anyone away"

I'm half-tempted to ask you to give me your computer, just to see what would happen. But only half. I don't actually want any handouts. Don't believe in them. Recently noticed a spam email asking me "Don't You like Free Stuff?!" and I am forced to admit that actually, I don't.

Oh please. You judge and criticize others all the time. You are (fairly harshly) criticizing me in this very thread, for example.

You prefer to criticize everyday Americans who actually work for a living. "Boobus," "the Haters," -- yes, you are ever battling the "hate of the American people."

I, on the other hand, am, yes, willing to criticize those who are bums. Yes, I see them as more deserving of criticism.

You look down on and despise normal, successful, prosperous people -- the "spoiled brats" as you see them.

I, on the other hand, am merely willing to tell the truth about street people: they have totally messed up their lives, just ripped them to shreds, destroyed their lives, betrayed their families, and ruined their minds on drugs and alcohol. That's why they are on the street in a nation full of homeless shelters and government handout programs. And that's the real street people (who I actually have at least some sympathy for, even though I do not believe giving them money will help them). The beggars I've mostly been criticizing in this thread, that I've been saying it's stupid to give to, and destructive to allow to occupy your property, are the scammers, the professionals. They deserve criticism, and exposure, so good-hearted but naive people are not exploited by them.

Your response to the fact that "These people are professionals! They are not really poor!" is not to address that fact at all, but to quote scripture at me to prove how holy you are, how deplorable and wicked I am, and how I should give everything I own to anyone who asks for it. Apparently facts don't matter, reality doesn't matter. All that matters is that we accept your particular wresting of a few particular verses in the Bible and, quote:

"Give to everyone who asks you for something. Don’t turn anyone away"

I'm half-tempted to ask you to give me your computer, just to see what would happen. But only half. I don't actually want any handouts. Don't believe in them. Recently noticed a spam email asking me "Don't You like Free Stuff?!" and I am forced to admit that actually, I don't.
    You certainly are an ASSumer.

I never said you were deplorable or wicked- but you do LOVE to call names and make false accusations.

Sorry life is so boring for you- maybe you need a good hobby?
    There is no spoon.

I see a lot of the Indian women with babies who are out begging (with a sign), often at more exclusive areas. They walk from person to person, and almost everyone gives them money. I've heard that it is an organized scam. Maybe they should be licensed and taxed.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

I never said you were deplorable or wicked
    And I never said that you said that. I said that communicating that message was the point of hurling those scripture verses at me like a weapon, in that way, in that context.

but you do LOVE to call names
    Like "spoiled brats". And "Haters." And donkey / rear-end. Right? Name-calling like that? That name-calling is what you're referring to, right?

make false accusations.
    Well, now you are accusing me of making false accusations (in addition to calling me a name-caller ). Ahh, round and round and round. But in all seriousness, I actually do care about the truth and am also eternally amiable and fair-minded, ever-ready to issue a correction and retraction if any errors are brought to my attention. And so, in all sincerity: what accusation(s?) did I make, and which of them were false? Please let me know. Thank you!

Sorry life is so boring for you- maybe you need a good hobby?
    Judge not that ye be not judged, oh Divine and Holy One. Right? We would never, ever judge people and make mean-spirited and unfair accusations, right? That's not the Ender way! Or is it, now?

And I never said that you said that. I said that communicating that message was the point of hurling those scripture verses at me like a weapon, in that way, in that context.

Like "spoiled brats". And "Haters." And donkey / rear-end. Right? Name-calling like that? That name-calling is what you're referring to, right?

Well, now you are accusing me of making false accusations (in addition to calling me a name-caller ). Ahh, round and round and round. But in all seriousness, I actually do care about the truth and am also eternally amiable and fair-minded, ever-ready to issue a correction and retraction if any errors are brought to my attention. And so, in all sincerity: what accusation(s?) did I make, and which of them were false? Please let me know. Thank you!

Judge not that ye be not judged, oh Divine and Holy One. Right? We would never, ever judge people and make mean-spirited and unfair accusations, right? That's not the Ender way! Or is it, now?
    Let's try it this way: Wisdom from the ancient Toltecs.

THE FIVE AGREEMENTS

BE IMPECCABLE WITH YOUR WORD
    Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.

DON’T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
    Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.

DON’T MAKE ASSUMPTIONS
    Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.

ALWAYS DO YOUR BEST
    Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best, and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.

BE SKEPTICAL, BUT LEARN TO LISTEN
    Don’t believe yourself or anybody else. Use the power of doubt to question everything you hear: Is it really the truth? Listen to the intent behind the words, and you will understand the real message.
    There is no spoon.

I actually do care about the truth and am also eternally amiable and fair-minded, ever-ready to issue a correction and retraction if any errors are brought to my attention. And so, in all sincerity: what accusation(s?) did I make, and which of them were false? Please let me know. Thank you!

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I see a lot of the Indian women with babies who are out begging (with a sign), often at more exclusive areas. They walk from person to person, and almost everyone gives them money. I've heard that it is an organized scam. Maybe they should be licensed and taxed.
    Well , in an affluent area , I am guessing the person who earned it has already been heavily taxed before they gifted it to the slackers . LOL
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Well , in an affluent area , I am guessing the person who earned it has already been heavily taxed before they gifted it to the slackers . LOL
    Ay, yes kemosabe, no doubt their folding money is post-tax. And I should have qualified that as East-Indian.

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Ay, yes kemosabe, no doubt their folding money is post-tax. And I should have qualified that as East-Indian.

I figured East Indies , now if I give someone a Buck , chances are Uncle did not get a cut .
    Do something Danke

Let's try it this way:

LEARN TO LISTEN
    I actually do care about the truth and am also eternally amiable and fair-minded, ever-ready to issue a correction and retraction if any errors are brought to my attention. And so, in all sincerity: what accusation(s?) did I make, and which of them were false? Please let me know. Thank you!

Let's try it this way:

LEARN TO LISTEN
    Hey @Ender, I actually do care about the truth and am also eternally amiable and fair-minded, ever-ready to issue a correction and retraction if any errors are brought to my attention. And so, in all sincerity: what accusation(s?) did I make, and which of them were false? Please let me know. Thank you!

Panhandlers Caught Driving Rental Car, Traveling Around Town To Solicit Cash

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2016/...-solicit-cash/

From the San Fernando Valley to the Santa Clarita Valley, CBS2’s David Goldstein’s undercover cameras captured similar looking groups of panhandlers with children.

Some were holding kids small enough to even be breastfeeding, and all were holding signs claiming to be down and out.

But are they as needy as they seem?

Goldstein watched them outside shopping areas all over town, with similar signs reading “Please help,”, “Lost my job,” “I have 3 kids” and the like.

Residents believe they’re all working together, and they’re fed up.

“It’s a well-organized group, no question about it,” said one local.

Over a series of weeks during the summer, Goldstein’s undercover cameras followed the panhandlers sometimes trying to get people’s attention but mostly getting their sympathy and their money.

Goldstein soon saw a pattern develop, such as one family finishing their panhandling and then getting into a late-model SUV. A young girl with them made sure they didn’t leave their sign behind.

Or another group that panhandled outside the Fallbrook Center, only to later drive to another mall a few miles away.

One of CBS2’s undercover producers approached a woman and daughter who admitted she’s a regular panhandler who’s homeless and looking for cleaning work.

“I’m here three days in the week,” she said.

The woman told Goldstein’s crew she didn’t have a phone to get in touch with her, nor did she own any transportation but relies on the bus to get around.

But a few minutes later, that same woman was spotted walking with a man and got into a car with him, not a bus.

She ended up outside a Ralphs supermarket around the corner, sign in hand, when Goldstein approached her.

“We’ve seen these signs all over town. Are you guys part of some organized ring?” he asked.

“No, no, no” she replied.

“Are you really homeless? Are you really out of work?”

“Yes, I’m homeless,” she said before she hustled away from the scene.

Another panhandling couple – a mother and son – were spotted outside a Walmart, only to get into a car that came back registered to Enterprise Rent-A-Car.

“Is that right, really, to be out there asking for money? And you’re driving a rental car? I mean, you’re driving a 2016 new car and you’re out asking for money,” said Goldstein.

LAPD detective Gil Escontrias, who used to work the Bunco Forgery Division, looked at the undercover photos.

“It’s almost to the point of being called a ‘disorganized organization’, if you will, where they probably sometimes, like any type of organized theft group, will coordinate with each other as to who’s going to take what position and what spot,” said Escontrias.

He says it appears they’re one of a number of groups who travel around the country preying on the heartstrings of people to make money, and he has doubts about their unemployment status.

“For many people, this is their job,” Escontrias said. “They wake up in the morning, this is what they’re going to do, and they have a goal, a certain amount of money to continue with their lifestyle.”

“But in many instances, you found they’re not necessarily out of work,” Goldstein added.

“No, because this is their work,” replied Escontrias. “This is their work.”

Police say the panhandlers aren’t breaking any laws. It’s not illegal to ask people for money. But they say if you’re in the spirit of giving, it might be best to give to a legitimate charity.

LEARN TO LISTEN
    And just how listened-to do you think I feel, Ender? I told you explicitly and repeatedly I was aiming my remarks in this thread towards the fake, cynical, predatory pan-handlers who are scammers. Did you ever once acknowledge this fact? Show any signs admitting understanding? Or did you instead intentionally ignore this to pretend instead that I was somehow being hateful to all poor people? And use it as an opportunity to lecture me about how hateful I am and how loving you are? Now does that seem fair?

And then you accuse me of making a false accusation. I ask nicely, repeatedly, just what you are talking about. Do you listen to me and reply politely?

This is irony upon irony. You criticize me for my criticism (of scammers). You accuse me of making accusations. And in reply to a simple, honest question, you post a sanctimonious, holier-than-thou all-caps call to LISTEN!11!, intentionally ignoring the question.

So how listened-to by you do you think I feel right now?

No, Casey! Stop! We must not ever, ever seem to be criticizing these despicable scammers. Otherwise Ender (who admittedly thinks he is Jesus) will come criticize us. Because Ender-Jesus doesn't believe in criticism. It wouldn't be loving.

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    No, Casey! Stop! We must not ever, ever seem to be criticizing these despicable scammers. Otherwise Ender (who admittedly thinks he is Jesus) will come criticize us. Because Ender-Jesus doesn't believe in criticism. It wouldn't be loving.
    LOL- you start the fight and then you call the names- then you say I'm Jesus, then you complain.

Just go with that 2nd Agreement- granted, it's the hardest, but it does make life easier in the long run.

And, I have nothing against YOU personally, @helmuth_hubner; I just know that for ME, I am blessed when I give.
    There is no spoon.

2nd Agreement

DON’T TAKE ANYTHING PERSONALLY
    Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.
    There is no spoon.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast