Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trump: We’ll Be Paying for the Wall But Mexico Will ‘Reimburse’ Us

Trump: We’ll Be Paying for the Wall But Mexico Will ‘Reimburse’ Us

SURPRISE

http://www.mediaite.com/tv/trump-wel...-reimburse-us/

Donald Trump today indicated, maybe for the first time, that the United States would pay for the border wall with the understanding that Mexico will “reimburse” us for it.

When he mentioned he would set up something that “fully funds” the wall’s construction today, Trump told the crowd, “Don’t worry about it. Remember, I said Mexico’s paying for the wall.”

He added, “With the full understanding that the country of Mexico will be reimbursing the United States for the full cost of such a wall.”
    Support Justin Amash for Congress
    Michigan Congressional District 3

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think he should just drop the "Mexico will pay us" gimmick. I am sure he can raise enough money by asking people to voluntarily donate (not tax) for the wall. Many people are anxious for more border security. so if it is indeed a popular idea, then he should raise money in no time.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    I think he should just drop the "Mexico will pay us" gimmick. I am sure he can raise enough money by asking people to voluntarily donate (not tax) for the wall. Many people are anxious for more border security. so if it is indeed a popular idea, then he should raise money in no time.
    muh free wall

Mexico will end up paying for it in tariffs, lost remissions, etc.. He never meant that Mexico is just going to write us a check for so many billions.

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    Mexico will end up paying for it in tariffs, lost remissions, etc.. He never meant that Mexico is just going to write us a check for so many billions.
    Here's to big government, the cause and solution to all government problems.

Quote Originally Posted by nikcers View Post
    Here's to big government, the cause and solution to all government problems.
    Except defending the border is one job that the constitution actually requires the government to do.

http://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2016...er-pay-n641736

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto to Trump: We 'Will Never Pay for a Wall'

Mexican President Enrique Peña Nieto has doubled down on his assertion that he told Donald Trump that his country would not pay for the Republican presidential nominee's proposed border wall.

"I repeat what I told him personally, Mr. Trump: Mexico will never pay for a wall," Peña Nieto said in Spanish on his official Twitter account on Thursday, responding to an earlier tweet from Trump saying "Mexico will pay for the wall."
    Trump promises everything will be free. And awesome.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-25-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    Right. But we can build an even bigger wall if we make everyone pay for it.

Its gonna be huge
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mexico will pay for that wall.

If its the last thing they do.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

We just may need to build the wall slightly more South than originally planned.
    - Kim Kardashian

I don't understand why anti-Trump folks like to take two totally congruent statements from Trump and try to turn them into something contradictory. Mexico will pay for it and Mexico will reimburse us for it are the same thing. Whether that happens, I dunno, should it happen, I dunno, but that isn't really the point.

It's exactly what the mainstream media does, it is manipulative, unproductive and just causes more people to like Trump because of the BS narrative coming from the left.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Mexico will pay for that wall.

If its the last thing they do.
    I'm guessing with cheap labor.
    It will be fantastic. 'Ugely FANTASTIC.

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

Banned

Blog Entries
    Oh no, trump lied! He is clearly a liar!
    Seriously folks, remember when Vincente fox said he is not going to pay for the $#@!ing wall? On Camera?
    Do you really think trump is rich because he doesn't have any friends? Do you think its because he has no idea how to make a deal? a good deal? where both sides benefit? the capitalists here dont see a champion of their philosophy. They still see a used car salesman. They think they got him figured out. It's hilarious.
    And I love how media yet again frames "reimburse" ooh, trump lied!
    I'm seriously laughing.

What the $#@! do you think building something, and someone else paying you for it is?
    Look up the definition of "pay for" you $#@!s.

LOLOLOLOLOL

Trump trolls media again.

OMG I hope the media rolls with this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3Ucv2j8QzI
    Last edited by UWDude; 10-25-2016 at 06:37 PM.

If it were to hypothetically happen, I assumed that the game plan was to finance it through tariffs, etc. I don't know why people thought that the Mexican government would directly finance it.
    "I shall bring justice to Westeros. Every man shall reap what he has sown, from the highest lord to the lowest gutter rat. They have made my kingdom bleed, and I do not forget that."
    -Stannis Baratheon

Banned

Blog Entries
    Look how easily manipulated you people are, simply by a head line and some quote marks.
    It's really pathetic. You really need to open your eyes, and see your bias.
    And why do you think trump said it that way?

We could build it on top of their southern border wall.
    I am the spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Taxes (tarrifs) are passed through to the consumer, which means Americans will be paying for it. What Trump is suggesting is to tax us once to build it, and then a second time so the feds can have their play money. It is possible they use the tarrifs to rebate the money to taxpayers or to retire the debt in which case we'd only be paying for it once, call me skeptical though.

Unlike the US, I don't think the Mexican government has a habit of spending its money in other countries.
    Stop believing stupid things

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Taxes (tarrifs) are passed through to the consumer, which means Americans will be paying for it. What Trump is suggesting is to tax us once to build it, and then a second time so the feds can have their play money. It is possible they use the tarrifs to rebate the money to taxpayers or to retire the debt in which case we'd only be paying for it once, call me skeptical though.
    Tariffs also make it more expensive to ship into the country, giving home made goods a better shot at being competitive. They are a fairly good way to boost production at home.

They make US producers more competitive by bringing the price of the good up. Meaning the consumer spends more on that good and has less available for other goods.

We're already doing that.
    http://www.zerohedge.com/news/2016-0...ss-who-paid-it

Another example of why a wall won't stop drugs or immigrants from entering the country (despite costing billions in tax dollars): they will go over, under, or around them.

http://fox5sandiego.com/2016/10/25/n...a-drug-tunnel/

New pictures show inside Otay Mesa drug tunnel

SAN DIEGO – Five days after federal authorities found of a cross-border tunnel between Tijuana and Otay Mesa, pictures of what it looked like surfaced.

Pictures showed the sophisticated operation found inside the 600-yard tunnel, including a rail system, lighting and ventilation.

ICE and Homeland Security confirmed a tunnel opening was found at a business park in Otay Mesa and the entrance was at a Mexican business about a mile away from the Tijuana airport.

The San Diego Union-Tribune reported five tons of marijuana were located in the tunnel.

Published reports in Tijuana say a neighbor complained about noise coming from the property where the ice factory was located and that led police to the tunnel, which reportedly belongs to the Sinaloa Cartel owned by the infamous "Chapo" Guzman.

In April, agents found the longest drug-smuggling tunnel ever found underneath the U.S.-Mexico line in California. It was a narrow, nearly half-mile passage between Otay Mesa and Tijuana outfitted with lights, a ventilation system and an elevator.
    Pictures at link.

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    By that reasoning, we Americans are going to pay for it twice.

First we'll pay for it when we actually pay for it, and then we'll pay for it again with the money we lose from Trump's trade policies.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    Tariffs are protectionist policies which benefit particular corporations. They reduce choice and raise prices for consumers. Government welfare to companies that you and I pay for. They don't necessarily lead to more jobs.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post

First we'll pay for it when we actually pay for it, and then we'll pay for it again with the money we lose from Trump's trade policies.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post

That's not actually how it is done. First we will actually pay for it. Through debt. Then what we make in tariffs, lost remissions, will be put towards the general fund. Then it will be spent elsewhere. And then we will pay it backwards through the debt again. But, a hell of a lot of Trumps construction connections are gonna be making bank. Then funnel that windfall back to him. 'Murika!
    Last edited by phill4paul; 10-26-2016 at 05:36 PM.

Banned

Blog Entries
    The wall is not going to stop immigration, that is for sure.
    It's a hair-brained scheme.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    The wall is not going to stop immigration, that is for sure.
    It's a hair-brained scheme.
    We could hire the East Germans to construct it.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Tariffs are protectionist policies which benefit particular corporations. They reduce choice and raise prices for consumers. Government welfare to companies that you and I pay for.
    I agree, at least that is how they are typically used. I find Trump a little different in this regard though, although all the same is true. He seems to think it is good economic policy instead of a 'good' way to benefit a particular industry. Meaning that typically it is done in spite of knowing that it is detrimental to the allocation of resources, whereas Trump does not have this understanding and instead wants to expand the inefficiencies thinking it will raise living standards.

They don't necessarily lead to more jobs.
    Tariffs can only destroy jobs. By increasing the prices of one good or a number of goods the consumer will have less money to buy other goods. Which means there will be less goods getting produced and less jobs doing the producing. And with less jobs again comes less consumption. It makes the overall pie smaller. The entrepreneur has less opportunity and the consumer a lower standard of living.

And that is without taking into consideration that in this day and age it is reasonable to assume the tariffs will be reciprocated.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    That's not actually how it is done. First we will actually pay for it. Through debt. Then what we make in tariffs, lost remissions, will be put towards the general fund. Then it will be spent elsewhere. And then we will pay it backwards through the debt again. But, a hell of a lot of Trumps construction connections are gonna be making bank. Then funnel that windfall back to him. 'Murika!
    The thing is, we don't make anything. We do pay for it though in the form of higher consumer goods. In the cases where Trump's tariffs don't have their intended effect and the good produced in Mexico is still the desired good a 33% tariff is no different than a 33% national sales tax. Only in rare cases- that being when the market won't support the increase in prices of a good (the good in question is a lower priority good then others and will be the 'sacrificed' good in the case of rising prices) and the producer is willing and able to shoulder the burden of the new tax- are new taxes not passed down to the consumer. I think what Superfluous said was pretty spot on.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast