Thread: These Wine Grapes Listened to Mozart, to Their Benefit

These Wine Grapes Listened to Mozart, to Their Benefit

My dad used to swear by music in the garden. I've got a photo of him playing his banjo in the fields when he was a teenager around here somewhere.

(Newser) – A taste of black cherry, leather, and just a hint of G minor? In the hills of Montalcino in Tuscany, winemaker Giancarlo Cignozzi has, for more than a decade, been playing Mozart 24 hours a day to a section of Sangiovese grapes growing in his vineyard, reports CBS News. At first, plant scientist Stefano Mancuso thought Cignozzi was just another "crazy guy," but the higher sugar content and robustness of the grapes growing closest to the music intrigued him, and he set about conducting scientific experiments. Bose heard of the studies and in 2008 donated speakers and funding for more research.

Mancuso says that the most "impressive" findings are that "sound is able to reduce dramatically the number of insect attacks," possibly because the frequencies confuse bugs enough to prevent breeding. This means the vineyard no longer uses pesticides and even gets away with minimal fertilizer. Another intriguing theory: that because the frequencies are akin to those of running water, the grapes grow toward the music's source. And while Cignozzi likes to play Mozart—another award-winning vineyard in South Africa is also set on playing classical music to its grapes, even in its cellars, reports the Australian Financial Review—Mancuso says it is the frequencies, not the composer, that matter, and that even heavy metal would produce the effects. Cignozzi isn't about to change his mind, though: "Sorry, but I’m very romantic!"
    http://www.newser.com/story/232466/t...th-mozart.html
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    My dad used to swear by music in the garden. I've got a photo of him playing his banjo in the fields when he was a teenager around here somewhere.

http://www.newser.com/story/232466/t...th-mozart.html
    The Mozart Effect

http://www.mozarteffect.com/
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    I find this very true.

When all else fails, Mozart will calm and soothe and focus my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I find this very true.

When all else fails, Mozart will calm and soothe and focus my mind.
    Yep- Bach is also very calming.
    There is no spoon.

What can't classical music do? It makes our babies smart. Makes our wine taste better. Makes our animals fall asleep. Focuses our minds, etc.

I wonder if scientists will be using the effect of GWAR on grapes,and babies and stuff in 500 years.