Thread: Cyberattack Knocks Out Access to Websites

Cyberattack Knocks Out Access to Websites

http://www.wsj.com/articles/denial-o...ers-1477056080

Retaliation for cutting off Assange's internet access?

Several websites including Twitter and Tumblr were unreachable during an extended period for many U.S. internet users Friday following repeated online attacks.

Web-technology provider Dynamic Network Services Inc., known as Dyn, said its domain name system, or DNS, service was subject to a massive distributed denial-of-service attack starting at 7:10 a.m. on Friday. After the first attack was resolved, Dyn reported a second one around midday.

Denial-of-service attacks can knock websites offline by flooding them with junk data, blocking the way for legitimate users. Dyn’s DNS services are a key part of the digital supply chain that allows web addresses—Twitter.com, for instance—to take users to the infrastructure that hosts them.

Dyn didn’t disclose the source of the attack.

Dyn said access to Spotify was also interrupted, and other sites, such as GitHub and Fastly, said they were affected. The Wall Street Journal’s website also was down for periods Friday morning.

“We’re still digging into root cause, but ultimately it was limited to the East Coast of the U.S.,” Dyn spokesman Adam Coughlin said.

Security experts say denial of service attacks have grown more powerful over the past year. A sustained assault on the website of security researcher Brian Krebs last month broke records partly because the network that launched it used hundreds of thousands of connected cameras, digital-video recorders and other “smart” devices, according to website defender Akamai Technologies Inc.

The U.S. Department of Homeland Security is aware of the attacks and is “investigating every potential cause,” said spokesman Todd Breasseale.
    Airbnb Inc. was hit by the outage, making the home-rental company’s website “intermittently available” for a short period Friday morning, spokesman Nick Shapiro said, adding that the site was back to running normally.

Amazon.com Inc. said it had found the root cause of DNS problems affecting its East Coast cloud customers and resolved the issue, though it didn’t disclose the cause. Amazon had said it was looking into an elevated number of errors related to accessing its cloud services in a main East Coast server hub because of DNS issues. Amazon Web Services runs a broad array of websites.

Amazon said the problems occurred between 7:31 a.m. and 9:10 a.m. Eastern time.

Cloud-services provider Heroku Inc. also said it saw “widespread” DNS issues related to a denial of service attacks against one of its DNS providers, but it had resolved the issue.

A spokeswoman for GitHub Inc., a service used by programmers and major tech firms world-wide to create software, acknowledged that the company was “one of the sites affected.” She declined to elaborate on the impact or the steps GitHub took to address the problem.

Alphabet Inc.’s Google Cloud Platform, a much smaller competitor to Amazon Web Services, didn’t experience any service disruptions Friday, said spokesman Michael Moeschler.
    Outage map:
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 10-21-2016 at 12:46 PM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    http://www.wsj.com/articles/denial-o...ers-1477056080

Retaliation for cutting off Assange's internet access?
    I'm sure it's this guy, trying to keep you from seeing State Department tweets and watching Red Dawn on Netflix.

Still waiting on official confirmation that this was definitely Russia, but I'm sure it's Russia.

When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Banned

Blog Entries
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0AX4ffTiBM

Bum Bump buh dah doooh...

Now The DHS wants to take over the voting machines. Because fixing the elections is almost impossible, says Obama.

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    I'm sure it's this guy, trying to keep you from seeing State Department tweets and watching Red Dawn on Netflix.

Still waiting on official confirmation that this was definitely Russia, but I'm sure it's Russia.

In the morning!

Maybe this is what Joe Biden was talking about when he threatened Russia.

"Wait till we take away boobus' Netflix and Twitter and blame it on you. Then you'll see the true extent of our power!"

I have to admit, kind of missing my Twitter already. Makes me want to punch a Russian.

Banned

Blog Entries
    See that video I posted?

Here is the video from 12 hours ago, discussing the hypothetical attack, that might happen in a couple hours (and did) and who might be behind it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_WhoypDLQ
    Last edited by UWDude; 10-21-2016 at 01:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by UWDude View Post
    See that video I posted?

Here is the video from 12 hours ago, discussing the hypothetical attack, that might happen in a couple hours (and did) and who might be behind it.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZ_WhoypDLQ
    I watched them just now.

Thought the eyewash thing was funny.

Not hard to guess this is a possible agenda though. All this was publicly telegraphed.

Ah no wonder twitter is down. haha. Was checking what kinda SJW attacks I was getting.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This seems unwise to tweet:

@wikileaks 4:11pm Central Time

"Mr. Assange is still alive and WikiLeaks is still publishing. We ask supporters to stop taking down the US internet. You proved your point."

Unwise considering policy U.S. now has on cyberattacks. This could be framed as collusion and prior knowledge with "cyber terror".

EDIT: Twitter working again btw, seems it was out for me for 2-3 hours.

It's Russia and Julian Assange working in concert with Edward Snowden. <s>
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Trumpkins

Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

I rate this thread one star for terrible, and because ZippyJuan posting as a Hillary Clinton supporter.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I rate this thread one star for terrible, and because ZippyJuan posting as a Hillary Clinton supporter.
    I do not understand why Zippy does not hang out on Democratic Underground?

used hundreds of thousands of connected cameras, digital-video recorders and other “smart” devices
    Amazing. For those that miss the significance of this tidbit, it means that hackers are hacking any and all connected devices. Most importantly, it means the latest home security systems that people have installed are being hacked. Your security cameras, your wifi enabled camera, your cell phone, those camera doorbells, home environment controls, internet enabled coffee makers, all being hacked.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Amazing. For those that miss the significance of this tidbit, it means that hackers are hacking any and all connected devices. Most importantly, it means the latest home security systems that people have installed are being hacked. Your security cameras, your wifi enabled camera, your cell phone, those camera doorbells, home environment controls, internet enabled coffee makers, all being hacked.
    Who will your toaster vote for? It's not too difficult to imagine an army of hacked home devices hijacking the voting system.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

This probably has to do with the release of Mirai - the IoT Botnet - https://krebsonsecurity.com/2016/10/...irai-released/

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    F'n Al Gore...

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Third wave of denial this afternoon.

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/10/21/major...os-attack.html

A senior U.S. intelligence official told NBC News the current assessment is that this is a classic case of internet vandalism. The official said it does not appear at this point to be any kind of state-sponsored or directed attack. Impossible to say how long it will take to say who's responsible, the official added.

Dyn told CNBC that one of the sources of the attack is coming from devices known as the "Internet of Things" devices such as DVRs, Printers, and appliances connected to the internet.

The company said in a conference call Friday afternoon that the attack is being waged from devices infected with a malware code that was released on the web in recent weeks.

Dyn said it has not heard from attackers and does not know who they are.

"What they're actually doing is moving around the world with each attack," Dyn Chief Strategy Officer Kyle York said in a conference call Friday afternoon.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Banned

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    This seems unwise to tweet:

@wikileaks 4:11pm Central Time

"Mr. Assange is still alive and WikiLeaks is still publishing. We ask supporters to stop taking down the US internet. You proved your point."

Unwise considering policy U.S. now has on cyberattacks. This could be framed as collusion and prior knowledge with "cyber terror".

EDIT: Twitter working again btw, seems it was out for me for 2-3 hours.

No proof Assange is still alive.
    And I linked to the Youtube of a guy who talked about a hypothetical widescale DDOS attack about 5 hours before it happened, and this guy says he is dead. I am starting to think he is right. This guy mind you called himself a "CIA troll", and said he is "declaring a cyber war emergency".

Correct, the "Internet of Things" may be a good advancement, but when manufacturers produce these internet "things" with zero in the way of proper security, they become dangerous as all get out. I was reading where one of the IP camera/DVR brands (don't recall which) that was particularly badly hit by the trojan bot assault that preceded the DDoS, has it's password hard coded on an ASIC and security cannot be adjusted by the end user at all.

Seriously, what? Home security IP cameras, with NO WAY to change the password or security settings? That's just ASKING to get hacked and pwned. Why would ANYBODY produce IP security cameras without adequate security?? SMDH

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Correct, the "Internet of Things" may be a good advancement, but when manufacturers produce these internet "things" with zero in the way of proper security, they become dangerous as all get out. I was reading where one of the IP camera/DVR brands (don't recall which) that was particularly badly hit by the trojan bot assault that preceded the DDoS, has it's password hard coded on an ASIC and security cannot be adjusted by the end user at all.

Seriously, what? Home security IP cameras, with NO WAY to change the password or security settings? That's just ASKING to get hacked and pwned. Why would ANYBODY produce IP security cameras without adequate security?? SMDH
    It's because the users slam their support lines when a device doesn't work straight out of the box. It was the same way with WAPs, but enough people now have mobile devices and are used to having passwords, it's not as much an issue with those. The WAPs that are built into cable modems and provided by the cable company, I have seen passwords printed on stickers attached.

I would be surprised if more than 10% of users are aware of their IP cams having http interfaces that are accessible to the world.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...=1#post6291728

The net will be shut down at some point. The signs are obvious. It's not Russians, Wikileaks or any of those scapegoats. It'll be our own intel agencies pulling the plug.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing."-Ron Paul

"We have set them on the hobby-horse of an idea about the absorption of individuality by the symbolic unit of COLLECTIVISM. They have never yet and they never will have the sense to reflect that this hobby-horse is a manifest violation of the most important law of nature, which has established from the very creation of the world one unit unlike another and precisely for the purpose of instituting individuality."- A Quote From Some Old Book

WikiLeaks To Its Supporters: 'Stop Taking Down the US Internet, You Proved Your Point
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/1...ved-your-point

Apparently the whole thing is motivated by WikiLeaks supporters for cutting off Assange interwebz.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    How about this theory? Say, I'm a country who makes a LOT of electronics and exports them around the world. What if I could make devices really cheap, get consumers to pay for them and help me distribute them around the world, then some time on down the road I can use them for DDOS attacks against my target. What is my target to do? Turn off everyone's internet access? Contact every user around the world who has one of these devices and tell them they can't use it anymore?

The site being DDOS'd or the company mitigating it for them can do very little to stop it other than null routing the source addresses.

THIS IS WHY THE INTERNET NEEDS A CUSTODIAN

All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus