Thread: ‘We Care Deeply About Diversity’: Zuckerberg Defends Facebook Board Member Peter Thiel’s Ties

‘We Care Deeply About Diversity’: Zuckerberg Defends Facebook Board Member Peter Thiel’s Ties

http://www.mediaite.com/online/we-ca...ties-to-trump/

October 19th, 2016

Mark Zuckerberg defended Facebook board member Peter Thiel‘s ties to Trump in a private internal post to employees.

Thiel, an early investor in and current board member of Facebook, has emerged as one of Trump’s most prominent Silicon Valley supporters. He spoke at the Republican National Convention and recently announced that he was donating $1.25 million to Trump’s campaign — a move that inspired widespread ire from the largely liberal-leaning California tech industry and moved some to sever ties with him.

A photograph of the post, apparently written by Zuckerberg to Facebook employees, appeared on BoingBoing and Hacker News on Tuesday night. Facebook confirmed the post’s authenticity to Mediaite.

“There are many reasons a person might support Trump that do not involve racism, sexism, xenophobia or accepting sexual assault,” Zuckerberg writes in part.

The post reads in full:

I want to quickly address the questions and concerns about Peter Thiel as a board member and Trump supporter.

We care deeply about diversity. That’s easy to say when it means standing up for ideas you agree with. It’s a lot harder when it means standing up for the rights of people with different viewpoints to say what they care about. That’s even more important.

We can’t create a culture that says it cares about diversity and then excludes almost half the country because they back a political candidate. There are many reasons a person might support Trump that do not involve racism, sexism, xenophobia or accepting sexual assault. it may be because they believe strongly in smaller government, a different tax policy, health care system, religious issues, gun rights or any other issue where he disagrees with Hillary.

I know there are strong views on the election this year both in the US and around the world. We see them play out on Facebook every day. Our community will be stronger for all our differences — not only in areas like race and gender, but also in areas like political ideology and religion.

That’s ultimately what Facebook is about: giving everyone the power to share our experiences, so we can understand each other a bit better and connect us a little closer together.

Facebook’s continued association with Thiel previously came under scrutiny when it was revealed that the tech mogul had been secretly bankrolling lawsuits against Gawker. Critics noted the site’s professed embrace of the marketplace of ideas seemed at odds with Thiel’s assault on the free press.

In a volatile political season, Zuckerberg has sometimes struggled to stay neutral. He was chided by conservatives after he made public remarks that appeared to be veiled criticisms of Republicans and, specifically, Trump. “I hear fearful voices calling for building walls and distancing people they label as others, for blocking free expression, for slowing immigration, reducing trade, and in some case even cutting access to the Internet,” Zuckerberg said.

Facebook subsequently fielded accusations that its news curation system was blacklisting conservative viewpoints. Zuckerberg said in a public post that the company did not support the “suppression of political perspectives.”

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am not clear on what it is I am supposed to take away from this one.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    That happens to me a lot these days.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The tone-n-timbre I heard is Zuk patting himself on the back for being big enough to tolerate Thiel...

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    The tone-n-timbre I heard is Zuk patting himself on the back for being big enough to tolerate Thiel...
    This could also mean Hillary win is not 100% guaranteed. It is time to make contingency plans and stop pouring gasoline into the fire.
    Last edited by timosman; 10-21-2016 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    I was wondering that, myself. It certainly would fit.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

There are many reasons a person might support Trump that do not involve racism, sexism, xenophobia or accepting sexual assault. it may be because they believe strongly in smaller government, a different tax policy, health care system, religious issues, gun rights or any other issue where he disagrees with Hillary.
    What does it say about the left that they must be reminded that "it's possible" Trump supporters don't support Trump because he is "immoral like them", and also that in Mark's long list of differences war is not even mentioned?

Two things seem to escape the rabid leftist. One, that they aren't any more moral than the other side. Two, that Hillary's biggest problem is that she's a war hawk who thinks being a cold-blooded murderer is a sign of strength and maturity.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

Quote Originally Posted by wizardwatson View Post
    What does it say about the left that they must be reminded that "it's possible" Trump supporters don't support Trump because he is "immoral like them", and also that in Mark's long list of differences war is not even mentioned?
    Clever move by Zuckerberg. He basically accused Trump supporters of "racism, sexism, xenophobia or accepting sexual assault", with a caveat of but not every single one of them, Peter for example, is OK.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Our community will be stronger for all our differences..."

I've seen this bull$#@! assertion that "diversity makes us stronger" my whole life and I haven't seen one piece of evidence that this is the case. If the left truly believed in the "diversity" they are so obsessed with, they wouldn't be trying to punish everyone for committing "wrong thinking."

Quote Originally Posted by LibertyExtremist View Post
    "Our community will be stronger for all our differences..."

I've seen this bull$#@! assertion that "diversity makes us stronger" my whole life and I haven't seen one piece of evidence that this is the case. If the left truly believed in the "diversity" they are so obsessed with, they wouldn't be trying to punish everyone for committing "wrong thinking."
    Diversity equates to a broader tax and voter base so depending on who is speaking it could very well make them stronger..