Thread: Dutch may allow assisted suicide for those who feel they have 'completed life'

Dutch may allow assisted suicide for those who feel they have 'completed life'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016...-they-have-co/

12 OCTOBER 2016

The Dutch government intends to draft a law that would legalise assisted suicide for people who feel they have "completed life", but are not necessarily terminally ill, it said on Wednesday.

The Netherlands was the first country to legalise euthanasia, in 2002, but only for patients who were considered to be suffering unbearable pain with no hope of a cure.

In a letter to parliament, the health and justice ministers said details remain to be worked out but that people who "have a well-considered opinion that their life is complete, must, under strict and careful criteria, be allowed to finish that life in a manner dignified for them".

The proposal is likely to provoke critics who say Dutch euthanasia practice has already expanded beyond the borders originally envisioned for it, with "unbearable suffering" not only applying to people with terminal diseases, but also to some with mental illnesses and dementia.

The euthanasia policy has widespread backing in Dutch society, and cases have risen by double digits every year for more than a decade as more patients request it and more doctors are willing to carry it out. Euthanasia accounted for 5,516 deaths in the Netherlands in 2015, or 3.9 percent of all deaths nationwide.

Edith Schippers, health minister, wrote in the letter that "because the wish for a self-chosen end of life primarily occurs in the elderly, the new system will be limited to" them.

She did not define a threshold age.

The new law will require "careful guidance and vetting ahead of time with a 'death assistance provider' with a medical background, who has also been given additional training".

Other aspects of the law as she envisions it will include safety mechanisms including third-party checks, reviews and supervision.

The proposal comes as a surprise, as a commission enlisted to study the idea of allowing a "completed life" extension to current policy concluded there was no need for it.

The ministers disagreed. "The Cabinet is of the opinion that a request for help (in dying) from people who suffer unbearably and have no hope without an underlying medical reason can be a legitimate request".

They hope to draft a law, in consultation with doctors, ethicists and other experts, by the end of 2017.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Maybe that's why the pizza oven remains incomplete.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I feel that many politicians have completed their life's work

Time to get into the assisted suicide/crematorium vending machine. Think about it. Tired of life? Enter a coffin sized cubicle. Get euthanized. Get cremated. Ashes go into a container that is shipped to the person/institute of your choice.

Kevorkian would be proud. SMDH.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

The scoops are on the way.

Run by autonomous robots.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    The scoops are on the way.

Run by autonomous robots.

Rep for having watched more than the punchline.
    It's actually quite an engaging film that says a lot of different things.

Soylent Green, for the kids out there.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

Much better than the book it was loosely based on, which was typical Malthusian claptrap.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I am not yet complete .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am not yet complete .
    What will it take?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    What will it take?
    Well its always a big list but I just recently started a new project and I do not like to leave things undone . I wanted to get up there with Lavere Redfield but I am not going to make it.
    Do something Danke

Well its always a big list but I just recently started a new project and I do not like to leave things undone . I wanted to get up there with Lavere Redfield but I am not going to make it.
    Let me know when you're leaving earth in a giant, flaming blaze of glory, uncle Oyarde. I haven't seen that sort of thing yet, and I've heard it's a marvel to behold.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Can you take HB with you?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Do the Dutch know they don't get a do over with a law like that?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Can you take HB with you?
    Maybe you could earn one of my sacred arrows and become invincible for awhile .....
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Time to get into the assisted suicide/crematorium vending machine. Think about it. Tired of life? Enter a coffin sized cubicle. Get euthanized. Get cremated. Ashes go into a container that is shipped to the person/institute of your choice.
    You're a genius.

I'm in... the idea, that is; not the vending machine itself...
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post

Agreed. The production, while a bit cheesy in some respects, comes off well in terms of story and the subsurface messages.

I believe it was Robinson's last film. Couldn't let a man like that go out on a groaner.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.