Thread: Amy Goodman of Democracy Now to turn herself in for illegal journalism Monday

Amy Goodman of Democracy Now to turn herself in for illegal journalism Monday

Main menu

North Dakota needs to immediately drop its outrageous charges against journalist Amy Goodman

October 13, 2016

By Trevor Timm

Award-winning journalist and the host of Democracy Now, Amy Goodman, has been facing an outrageous arrest warrant in North Dakota for “criminal trespass” since early September—the result of her merely doing her job as a reporter and covering police violence against oil pipeline protesters in North Dakota.
    Today, she announced she would return to the state in order to turn herself in and contest the charges on Monday.
    "I will go back to North Dakota to fight this charge,” she said. “It is a clear violation of the First Amendment," said Goodman. "I was doing my job as a journalist, covering a violent attack on Native American protesters."
    It couldn’t be more obvious that Ms. Goodman is being charged solely for her journalism and the impact it had on the oil pipeline debate. Here’s how Democracy Now described its news coverage that led to the charges against Ms. Goodman:
    On Saturday, September 3, Democracy Now! filmed security guards working for the pipeline company attacking protesters. The report showed guards unleashing dogs and using pepper spray and featured people with bite injuries and a dog with blood on its mouth and nose.
    Democracy Now!’s report went viral online, was viewed more than 14 million times on Facebook and was rebroadcast on many outlets, including CBS, NBC, NPR, CNN, MSNBCand the Huffington Post.
    Rolling Stone’s Matt Tiabbi detailed what happened as a result of the segment Democracy Now aired:
    Shortly thereafter, the Obama administration intervened, stopping pipeline construction on Army Corps land and asking the company to "voluntarily pause all construction activity" in the area.
    This victory for the Standing Rock Sioux would likely not have been possible without the aggressive independent reporting of Democracy Now!, whose pictures created significant public pressure.
    Yet because, in the words of the prosecutor,

“Everything she reported on was from the position of justifying the protest actions,"

she now faces criminal charges. Read that sentence again. The state is literally charging her for nothing else beyond exercising her rights as a journalist.
    We fully support Ms. Goodman for taking this incredibly brave stance and being willing to return North Dakota to fight these charges directly, but make no mistake: North Dakota authorities should have dropped these obviously illegal charges as soon as they were issued.
    How North Dakota did not immediately realize this was all a horrible mistake on their part is beyond reason. The only explanation seems to be that they want to silence First Amendment-protected speech and intimidate other journalists into not covering the protests. Since the charges were issued a month ago, their actions have been universally condemned by press freedom advocates, and there is simply no justification for letting it stand.
    Not only are they flagrantly violating the Constitution, they are giving every two bit dictator and corrupt police establishment around the world every excuse to point to this episode and arrest journalists abroad, while making a mockery of our own press freedom protections at home.
    Goodman is not a stranger to unconstitutional actions by local police. She was arrested in Minnesota in 2008 for covering the protests around the Republican National Convention. She later sued and won $100,000 from the state for infringing her First Amendment rights.
    We hope and expect similar accountability for the authorities here when the dust clears. But in the meantime, North Dakota should stop embarrassing itself and drop all charges against Amy Goodman, and any other journalist who may be suffering the same fate, immediately.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Best of Luck to her.

and it may have an affect on other ongoing cases. (Pete Santilli, Jason Patrick)
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

"Illegal Journalism"... soon, speaking above your breath in condemnation of our government will result in jail time.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

This is despite her being in the tank for DNC?

The state is literally charging her for nothing else beyond exercising her rights as a journalist.
    She's charge with trespassing.

...and she was on private property without the permission of its owner, wasn't she?

If so, she's guilty.

The 1st amendment doesn't give journalists a pass to commit crimes, so long as the crimes are committed in the course of doing journalism.

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post

...and she was on private property without the permission of its owner, wasn't she?

If so, she's guilty.

The 1st amendment doesn't give journalists a pass to commit crimes, so long as the crimes are committed in the course of doing journalism.
    I believe property rights are also in question.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I believe property rights are also in question.
    Maybe so, I didn't follow the case closely...

I'm just making the general point that trespassing, or any other crime, shouldn't be excused just because it was committed by a journalist.

Journalists shouldn't have any special rights beyond what you and I have.

I'm just making the general point that trespassing, or any other crime, shouldn't be excused just because it was committed by a journalist.

Not saying they should. But A Free Press has been a defining point of Liberty.
    If she is in fact targeted because of her coverage of an event,, regardless of the events location,, it is a free Press issue.

and if the pipeline is violating property rights,, that is another issue.

were any other journalists there? (MSM ) are they charged as well?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.

What private property?

The Indians? The ones she's defending? The property that .gov keeps taking away whenever it suits them?

Yes, it is about private property rights; it's about the gov taking private property and then trying to kill those that object.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    What private property?

The Indians? The ones she's defending? The property that .gov keeps taking away whenever it suits them?

Yes, it is about private property rights; it's about the gov taking private property and then trying to kill those that object.
    "Army Corps land" ?,, or other lands taken under eminent domain and handed to political pals.?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

What private property?

That's all well and good (you can imagine where I stand on the state stealing private property), but beside the point.

I'm not commenting on the pipeline issue.

I'm commenting on the idea (implied in the OP article) that journalists should be immune from liability for crimes committing while practicing journalism. This kind of thinking is common on the left; you see it also in their disingenuous whining about "attacks on protestors" (when the protestors are actually arrested for trespassing, or vandalism, etc). 1st amendment rights don't supersede property rights, they're just a subset of property rights.

Not saying they should. But A Free Press has been a defining point of Liberty.
    If she is in fact targeted because of her coverage of an event,, regardless of the events location,, it is a free Press issue.

and if the pipeline is violating property rights,, that is another issue.

were any other journalists there? (MSM ) are they charged as well?
    Don't know, don't care.

If she was trespassing, she should have been charged.

Whether anyone else was charged, or whether she was singled out for her politics, is immaterial.

That's all well and good (you can imagine where I stand on the state stealing private property), but beside the point.

I'm commenting on the idea (implied in the OP article) that journalists should be immune from liability for crimes committing while practicing journalism. This kind of thinking is common on the left; you see it also in their disingenuous whining about "attacks on protestors" (when the protestors are actually arrested for trespassing, or vandalism, etc). 1st amendment rights don't supersede property rights, they're just a subset of property rights.

Don't know, don't care.

Whether anyone else was charged, or whether she was singled out for her politics, is immaterial.
    I have seen no proof,, beyond a vague allegation that she trespassed anywhere.

She (her reporting) did have an impact on some powerful interests though. and at least temporally stopped a pipeline the people of the area did not want.

I am guessing the State will not want this trial.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Don't know, don't care.

Whose property are we talking about? She was on Indian property- it's the gov that should be charged.
    There is no spoon.

Whose property are we talking about? She was on Indian property- it's the gov that should be charged.
    If that's true, and she had their permission, then obviously she didn't trespass.

Like I said, I didn't follow the details of the case, and don't really care: just using it to make a general point about "freedom of the press."

From my understanding the pipeline is *near* the reservation and not in or through it. Going from memory, I think eminent domain is being used further south, in Iowa?

It raises the issue...if I sneak into your house, and videotape you beating your wife or children, is the issue of my violation of your property really important?

I feel like that is the tradeoff. For example, when journalists go into big-agra farms are videotape, they are often considered in violation of property rights (ie, ag-gag laws). I would argue that if they go in, and find nothing, then slap them with a crime for violating property. But if they do find something, then you could argue that their invasion of the property was justified.

It is tough either way.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If that's true, and she had their permission, then obviously she didn't trespass.

Like I said, I didn't follow the details of the case, and don't really care: just using it to make a general point about "freedom of the press."
    Yeah, you said that 9 times, but he didn't really care.

I agree with you. Trespassing journalist should be held accountable just as assaulting police officers should. The nature of one's job does not grant them special privileges...at least it shouldn't.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    Yeah, you said that 9 times, but he didn't really care.

I agree with you. Trespassing journalist should be held accountable just as assaulting police officers should. The nature of one's job does not grant them special privileges...at least it shouldn't.
    So was Pete Santilli trespassing when he covered the Refuge standoff?
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Funny how the left doesn't give a $#@! about the 1st Amendment until it's needed to help one of them.
    I am the spoon.

Ms Goodman simply needs to get with the program. The media talking points have all been arranged and she could simply email the Hilary campaign to get up to speed.

Why would she try to create divide and rock the boat? That's just asking for trouble.
    No - No - No - No

If so, she's guilty.
    It's because she is a poor journalist.

When these powerful suits trespassed without permission in other peoples countries, no one arrested them.

[IMG]https://static01.********/images/2008/03/19/us/19mccain.600.jpg[/IMG]
    Iraqi Freedom Files

Don't tell me they had permission when Iraqi oil pipelines were tresspassed. They had guns and bombs but no permission from Iraqi people.

Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    It's because she is a poor journalist.

When these powerful suits trespassed without permission in other peoples countries, no one arrested them.

[IMG]https://static01.********/images/2008/03/19/us/19mccain.600.jpg[/IMG]
    Iraqi Freedom Files

Don't tell me they had permission. They had guns and bombs but no permission from Iraqi people.
    And I suppose the fact that other minority classes are granted special privileges means that homosexuals should be granted them too?

Not sure what the connection was but I have not read all the posts or even full OP news.
    That said, Lindsey Graham pictured above is a straight christian.
    Just because the elite sample on property rights does not mean it is right for us or anyone to do so.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

lol. Like violating a curfew?
    All modern revolutions have ended in a reinforcement of the power of the State.
    -Albert Camus

So was Pete Santilli trespassing when he covered the Refuge standoff?
    ^^ good question. The existence of public property throws me through a loop.

That said, Lindsey Graham pictured above is a straight christian.
    alleged.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/democr...143230491.html

Judge drops charge against 'Democracy Now' reporter
    MANDAN, N.D. (AP) — "Democracy Now!" reporter Amy Goodman won't face a riot charge stemming from her coverage of a protest against construction of the Dakota Access oil pipeline in North Dakota, with a judge saying Monday that there was no cause for it.

Judge John Grinsteiner refused to sign off on the misdemeanor riot charge, which prosecutor Ladd Erickson had pursued after dismissing a misdemeanor criminal trespass charge against the journalist on Friday. However, authorities would not rule out the possibility Goodman could face other charges.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom