Thread: 2016 Has Been an Ugly Year For Tech Layoffs, and It's Going To Get Worse

2016 Has Been an Ugly Year For Tech Layoffs, and It's Going To Get Worse

https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/1...e-says-analyst

IEEE Spectrum writer Tekla Perry writes:

Early this year, analyst Trip Chowdhry from Global Equities Research predicted that the tech world was going to see big layoffs in 2016 -- some 330,000 in all at major tech companies. At the time, these numbers seemed way over the top. Then IBM started slashing jobs in March -- and continued to wield the ax over and over as the year progressed. Yahoo began layoffs of some 15 percent of its employees in February. Intel announced in April that it would lay off 12,000 this year. So, was Chowdhry right? "Yes," he told me when I asked him this week. "The layoffs I predicted have been occurring." And worse, he says, these laid-off workers are never again going to find tech jobs: "They will always remain unemployed," at least in tech, he said. "Their skills will be obsolete." Some of these layoffs are due to a sea change in the industry, as it transforms to the world of mobile and cloud. But some are signs of a bubble about to pop. It's all going to get worse in 2017, he predicts, because that's when the tech bubble will burst. Chowdhry, someone who has never been reluctant to go out on a limb, is predicting that'll happen in March.
    There is almost zero IT work where I live and has not been any for quite a while.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I dont understand. Is he referring to old school IT or just tech in general? Because I feel there are a lot of firms out there hiring/looking for tech people.

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Liberty90 View Post
    I dont understand. Is he referring to old school IT or just tech in general? Because I feel there are a lot of firms out there hiring/looking for tech people.
    Finding IT jobs is hard tho. My valuable excel and word skills noone seems to want.

I hear powerpoint skills still running strong tho
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Finding IT jobs is hard tho. My valuable excel and word skills noone seems to want.

Nothing more productive than PowerPoint. Every employee should spend at least 75% of their time using it. Productivity will soar.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    https://news.slashdot.org/story/16/1...e-says-analyst

There is almost zero IT work where I live and has not been any for quite a while.
    H1Bs. We need more H1Bs.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Zippy we need you come here with your charts and pointer and inform us of the reality of the situation.

The current loss and incoming drought in tech jobs combined with either under or over-paying tech people is ready to be explained away by Marxist Economic theory backed up by studies and charts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

I always used excel for my spread sheets for production , attendance and payroll records when I managed in Mnfg. Only thing I ever used word for was notices and memos and those I would just keep on file and re use them .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    H1Bs. We need more H1Bs.
    If they just run it all out of India then no need for visas.
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Nothing more productive than PowerPoint. Every employee should spend at least 75% of their time using it. Productivity will soar.
    I never tried it , I figured it was like playing golf , something else I managed to avoid .
    Do something Danke

Oh yeah and $#@! Powerpoint.

Flashcards for days.
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by Spikender View Post
    Oh yeah and $#@! Powerpoint.

Flashcards for days.
    Powerpoint is a good skill to have cus then you can get a job with McKinsey

It's a valuable skill
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Powerpoint is a good skill to have cus then you can get a job with McKinsey

It's a valuable skill
    People have complimented my use of Powerpoint because all I do is throw a title and then a few bullet points. AKA gussied up flashcards.

It's still a crutch tool that many people have to wean themselves off of. I'm sure we're all familiar with people who information overload their presentations to the point of hilarity.
    We Must Dissent.