Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Justin Amash going to run for president in 2020?

Is Justin Amash going to run for president in 2020?

He's dropped a few subtle clues.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    He might.. I'm not sure if he can garner enough support though. I'd support his candidacy if he were to run.
    I hope we won't get another situation where there's spoiler for our candidate such as Cruz this time. He really screwed us over, we should never forget that! Once a traitor, always a traitor. I don't think Amash would be in that camp, even though he's a lawyer, he's actually a decent human being... I like him.
    "I am a bird"

I would vote for Justin Amash for president in a heart beat.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Running against Trump in 2020 would be a bad idea and I would guess he would wait until 2024.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Cleaner44 View Post
    Running against Trump in 2020 would be a bad idea and I would guess he would wait until 2024.
    Do you actually believe that Trump is going to win?
    Stop believing stupid things

Wonder if he has considered running for Governor?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    Do you actually believe that Trump is going to win?
    Yes.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Last edited by Brett85; 10-26-2016 at 07:22 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It seems pretty likely that he is thinking about it and I would bet he will run. Being able to defend his House seat and raising funds would be the only things that would be hang ups.

I'd support him no problem, but his best path may be through the VP. If the GOP wants to rebuild long term, the Executive branch needs good VPs who go on to run for P.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

AMASH/Judge NAP 2016
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I would hope not, that would be the dumbest thing he could do.
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    I would hope not, that would be the dumbest thing he could do.
    Why is that?

He might run. I don't see how he could pull it off. libertarians are a minority in the party even though others can be sold on a candidate. You need a coalition to pull it off, I don't see Justin appealing to social cons, or other groups enough to win. Especially with Ted Cruz in the race.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Last edited by Brett85; 10-26-2016 at 07:22 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Brett85 View Post
    Why is that?
    Because he doesn't have the gravity for that. Because the chances of him getting elected are minuscule. Because he doesn't have a machine and network that can get him there. Because he won't be taken seriously. Because Members of the House do not run for President and win. Because he would need to become more established in the eyes of the voting public before announcing a run.

If he were to announce a run for US Senate, then hell yeah, that might be a smart thing he could do (he risks losing his House seat though) assuming it were possible for a Republican to win a seat from Michigan. Otherwise he should stay put because he is in the best place he can be for a while.
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If Trump gets trounced like I think he will, maybe Republicans would want to nominate someone who's basically the exact opposite of Trump next time, which would be someone like Amash.
    That would be nice. But most people think Paul Ryan is the opposite of Trump.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Collins View Post
    Because he doesn't have the gravity for that. Because the chances of him getting elected are minuscule. Because he doesn't have a machine and network that can get him there. Because he won't be taken seriously. Because Members of the House do not run for President and win. Because he would need to become more established in the eyes of the voting public before announcing a run.

If he were to announce a run for US Senate, then hell yeah, that might be a smart thing he could do (he risks losing his House seat though) assuming it were possible for a Republican to win a seat from Michigan. Otherwise he should stay put because he is in the best place he can be for a while.
    Well, either him or Rand needs to run in 2020. We need to have a voice for liberty in the debates.

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    That would be nice. But most people think Paul Ryan is the opposite of Trump.
    Well, Paul Ryan is less authoritarian than Trump. But I think either Rand or Amash could make the case in 2020 that the GOP needs to go in a completely different direction and actually nominate someone who appeals to younger people and minorities.

Well, either him or Rand needs to run in 2020. We need to have a voice for liberty in the debates.
    Yeah we need someone. I just don't think Amash giving up his house seat is the answer.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

I give it a 50-50 chance.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

I'm 99.9% sure one of Rand, Massie or Amash will run, I just am debating with myself which one

under what party? Libertarian is now a viable choice. and anyone running for president must win statewide office. Congressmen don't win. only Lincoln had been a congressman as his highest office. Ron tried, Kemp tried. Governor of MI is open in 2018. serve one term, and then step down and run in 2024. Jimmy Carter did this. so did Reagan.

Quote Originally Posted by CPUd View Post
    I'd support him no problem, but his best path may be through the VP. If the GOP wants to rebuild long term, the Executive branch needs good VPs who go on to run for P.
    Why would Bill Kristol choose Amash for VP?
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'm 99.9% sure one of Rand, Massie or Amash will run, I just am debating with myself which one
    Have all three run. All three have compelling stories, and can bring up the positive attributes of the other if asked to attack one of said others.

Additionally, unlike Gary Johnson in 2012, each of the three can reasonably articulate a libertarian message. For further bonus points, it may push Rand towards libertarianism rather than the GOP establishment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

Uh no.... Rand will not be successful next time either without taking a massive turn to mimic his father in certain ways. And knowing Rand, I am betting that he has no intentions to ever run for President again.

Quote Originally Posted by Feeding the Abscess View Post
    Have all three run. All three have compelling stories, and can bring up the positive attributes of the other if asked to attack one of said others.

Additionally, unlike Gary Johnson in 2012, each of the three can reasonably articulate a libertarian message. For further bonus points, it may push Rand towards libertarianism rather than the GOP establishment.
    Agreed. Get all three into the race. They can create a coalition at debates and then, as polls dictate, throw their support to one or the other.

He needs to run for Senate or Governor first. Congressmen don't have a high enough profile to win primaries.

As others have said, Amash is too green to run for POTUS.

Rand is the only viable option for 2020.

And I hope he's willing to run, after the backstabbing he received this cycle from supposed allies.

If not, we'll have to more or less sit out 2020 and focus on Senate and Gubernatorial races.

...which should get more attention than they do, in any event.
    Last edited by r3volution 3.0; 10-14-2016 at 09:05 PM.

Amash has more experience than Rand, as he was in the state legislature before the house. he is also a veteran and a lawyer, but he needs statewide win. as would Massie. Rand has the name, but I don't think his heart is in it. he pulled the plug early this time.

whoever tuns has to seek both the GOP and Libertarian nomination , ideally getting 2 lines, but also to use the Libertarian line as a threat, that would make it impossible for any other GOP candidate to win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast