• 21-25

1 5.56%
  • 26-30

1 5.56%
  • 30+

0 0%
  • I don't play

16 88.89%

Thread: What Is Your Pokemon Go Trainer Level??

What Is Your Pokemon Go Trainer Level??

I am addicted to this game. I haven't been addicted to a game in almost 20 years.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-10-2016 at 12:57 AM.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    bump
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I voted
    Do something Danke

There was the whole thing about the "AR" taking pictures of stuff when you catch a Pokemon, lots of threads on it here when the game came out, but it's a lot easier just to turn it off..

There were players who were spoofing their GPS coordinates, but they banned most of them because the GPS spoofers also relay an altitude coordinate and so it was pretty easy to tell who they were.

The game play itself is great, there are so many different goals and things to constantly be working on, territory to take over, etc.. there have only been a few games where you go out into the real world to do stuff with other players also out in the real world. One of them was used sorta as a sandbox to eventually create the Pokemon world.

The yellow team is the weakest team in my area, but they literally started coordinating with each other via txt msg and such and have taken over a few swaths of gyms and have been holding down about 5 gyms near a large park in my town for a couple weeks now.

If you don't live near any population centers, and don't travel to any often, then unfortunately it makes the gameplay a little tough. The more densely populated the area, the better the gameplay.. that is one downside, it would be really fun to play this sorta game out in the wilderness but it is sorta the nature of this type of game where you are competing with others in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I voted
    I voted harder.

Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    I voted harder.
    I voted THE hardest.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I voted THE hardest.
    You are a true patriot.

I have this weird vision of Bubbles wandering around in the street waving his cell phone around.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I don't do the game, but a radio host was talking about it one day. A lady called in to suggest that people throw out lures near children's hospitals because the game is getting sick children to get up and come out of their rooms. It seems to be helping them.

I'm a tour guide, and I hate it when people on my tours can't put down their frickety frackety phones long enough to listen to the tour. I get paid either way, but it's rude to play games when you have paid money to hear someone else talk.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I'm a tour guide, and I hate it when people on my tours can't put down their frickety frackety phones long enough to listen to the tour. I get paid either way, but it's rude to play games when you have paid money to hear someone else talk.
    How fast are the busses moving? If it's slow enough, they are hatching eggs and collecting candy for their 'buddy' as well as catching pokemon. You're definitely moving too fast to battle and train at gyms, but I'm sure either way they can catch a lot of Pokemon.

My dog likes the game a lot, he gets to go on extra long hikes, unfortunately he's only good at finding diglets I have yet to find a Snorlax.

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    How fast are the busses moving? If it's slow enough, they are hatching eggs and collecting candy for their 'buddy' as well as catching pokemon. You're definitely moving too fast to battle and train at gyms, but I'm sure either way they can catch a lot of Pokemon.

My dog likes the game a lot, he gets to go on extra long hikes, unfortunately he's only good at finding diglets I have yet to find a Snorlax.
    I'm not on a bus. I'm on a boat. Put the phone down for 15 minutes before I snatch it and throw it in the water.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

I like it cuz my wife will go to the disc golf course with me. She plays pokemon go while I golf. Every single hole has at least one poke stop and there are 2 gyms on the course. I guess the little bastards are all over the place there, I havent' been able to hit one with my disc yet though.

I bet Danno is about near 30 trainer lev.
    Do something Danke

when i was a kid I liked the main-series pokemon games; never understood the attraction to this pokemon go thing

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    when i was a kid I liked the main-series pokemon games; never understood the attraction to this pokemon go thing
    Not my kind of thing , but I can picture Danno all high , walking his dog in the hood finding Pokemon . I am glad he is having fun . Cheaper than a movie and more exercise .
    Do something Danke

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Me personally, I'm not interested in helping the CIA with their experiments.

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    For me it was the opposite.. I sat there walking my character around holding the gameboy thinking, wtf?? Just pressing a button going around looking for them on the screen wasn't much fun, took forever to find one..

Now you're in a virtual world, in the real world, actually going places and taking over gyms, finding areas to conquer and maintain all interactively with other people.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-11-2016 at 10:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I like it cuz my wife will go to the disc golf course with me. She plays pokemon go while I golf. Every single hole has at least one poke stop and there are 2 gyms on the course. I guess the little bastards are all over the place there, I havent' been able to hit one with my disc yet though.
    There are only two stops and one gym on my course.. have to be careful not to get in the way of the disc golfers. I was going to take disc golf back up when I moved here.. went out the first time and threw my best driver into an area with giant patches of poison oak, couldn't find the disc, got some poison oak and remembered the ONE reason why that course is really freaking frustrating.. other than that it is an awesome course, if they got rid of all the poison oak I'd be playing a lot more.

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    Maybe they will become fixated on Danno and want to be like him .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by scm View Post
    What do you think they are studying that they don't already have data on, if AR mode is switched off?

What do you think they are studying that they don't already have data on, if AR mode is switched off?
    Zombie crowd control.

I'm a gamer. I love games.

but I can't for the life of me figure out why poke has become such a big hit. I mean, if you are into the real world aspect, there are tons of things you can do in the real world. If you like team work, there are many games that employ benefits to people working in teams.

What is the thing that makes this game initially attractive, and secondly, what makes it so darn addictive?
    No - No - No - No

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post

but I can't for the life of me figure out why poke has become such a big hit. I mean, if you are into the real world aspect, there are tons of things you can do in the real world. If you like team work, there are many games that employ benefits to people working in teams.

What is the thing that makes this game initially attractive, and secondly, what makes it so darn addictive?
    No, augmented reality is actually a really cool thing. Pokemon Go was just the first one to make it work well enough to attract a mass audience, and then target it at the correct age group to generate massive uptake. Kudos to them for that. I think a few years down the road when augmented reality is a lot more common, it will be a lot easier to see why Pokemon Go was so popular.

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    There's my cat. Been looking for her.

I don't play, but it was strange to see 45 year old men and women at my workplace playing it and taking it seriously.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

Quote Originally Posted by asurfaholic View Post

Well there are three ways to play the game. Actively, semi-passively, and totally passively. This allows people with different time investment strategies in their lives to all be able to play, and make whatever time investments into the game they want, including practically zero time investment. Let me explain.

Actively playing pokemon go would entail going out and walking around, biking or skating for the sole purpose just to play the game. There is nothing wrong with that, imo, I mean it's a lot better exercise than sitting on your couch or in your computer chair playing a game. It's not for everyone, but people with spare time who enjoy that can do that.

Other people like playing the game totally passively, which entails going where you need to go and doing what you need to do and just whipping out your phone to play during your spare time while engaged in these activities. Could be going to the store, eating at a cafe, drinking at a bar, commuting to and from work, at the (real) gym, on your lunch break at work, etc, whatever you do during the day. So it isn't much of an interruption for these people at all. They might stop at a gym to train or battle that is on their route, but it would preclude going out of their way to go to a gym.

Semi-passively would be you go out to do something, or on your way home and you might spend some time while you're out dedicated to playing. So you might go a little out of your way to where there are some pokestops to stock up on resources, maybe catch a few pokemon and maybe hit up a few gyms. It might add 10 or 20 minutes to your errand or whatever, so it has some aspects that are similar to playing it actively and some aspects that are similar to playing it passively. The fact that it can attract all three of these types of players, and then luring the more passive players into playing semi-passively or even actively on some occasions maybe if they have some spare time.

What trainer level have you reached?

The first 5 levels, you can't even enter a gym. You're essentially just going around catching and hatching pokemon.... you might evolve a few of the more common pokemon like ratata and pidgey, hopefully an evee but not much else. If that is all the game was, nobody would play. It's actually very complex and this is all just to create a base because you're going to be catching a lot of pokemon. It's actually pretty difficult to take over a gym until around level 12 or 14. In some cases, you might be able to train and put a player in a gym before this time if you know what you're doing.

The point is to catch and evolve the best pokemon to train at and take over gyms. When you have a pokemon defending a gym, you can't use that pokemon to take over other gyms.. but you want to hold down the gym, so in general you put your best in to defend gyms, but this drains you of resources to take over and train at other gyms. Some pokemon are better at defending gyms, others are better on offense. The best pokemon are often, but not always, difficult to obtain. When you have protected a gym and your 24 hour timer ends, you collect 10 pokecoins per gym you are defending, max 100 (10 pokemon defending gyms) (pokecoins can be used to buy incense, lures, lucky eggs, egg incubators, bag upgrade to increase your resource storage and pokemon storage upgrade so you can hold more pokemon) and you get some stardust (to power up pokemon).

There are 12 different 'types' of Pokemon, so battles are sort of like a complex game of rock/paper/scissors. Water pokemon (like Vaporeon) are extra-effective against fire pokemon, but fire pokemon are not good at all against water pokemon. Fire pokemon are great against ice pokemon, however. Psychic pokemon (like Exeggutor) are extra-effective against fighting Pokemon, dark Pokemon are extra-effective against psychic pokemon.. Fighting pokemon and fairy pokemon are good against dark pokemon, dragons are effective against almost everything except fairy pokemon. There are rock, flying, ground, electric, normal, ghost, steel, bug and grass pokemon. To make things more complicated, Pokemon can be two different types and they all have two offensive moves which can be the same or different, and the offensive moveset can change during evolution and can be different from others of the very same type of pokemon. A Rhydon can have a fighting/ground, fighting/bug or Rock/Ground moveset, and there are probably more. So you don't always know what you are going to be facing up against.

There are three teams, red, blue and yellow. You fight to take gyms over, sometimes whole territories of several gyms.

When someone takes a gym, it's at level 1. When somebody else from the same team adds their player to a gym, it goes to level 2. When somebody from the same team comes and trains and gets enough points by picking a single pokemon to take on the gym and beat enough of the current pokemon in battle, it goes to level 3. As the levels increase, more points are required to increase to the next level and add yourself into the gym.

To take over a gym, you essentially have to pick 6 pokemon, beat all the players at the gym with them, then the bottom player drops out. Then you have to revive any fainted pokemon, use healing potions on your hurt pokemon, and do it all over again. Then the bottom pokemon drops off, and you have to do it all over again. So it is very resource intensive to take over a gym at level 9 or 10, and if there are any pokemon in the gym you can't beat then you are dead in the water.

But ya as far as maximizing resources, figuring out which are the best pokemon to fight in gym battles, all this stuff is very complex and makes the gameplay really fun. I've never gotten into any RPGs before, I've tried, this is the first one that has me hooked.
    Last edited by dannno; 10-13-2016 at 01:18 PM.