Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where would you settle, if at all

LibForestPaul

Where would you settle, if at all

If you had $X amt of savings, would you pack up (give up US citizenship) to another country, and which country would you settle on?

If you could live/retire in any state, which would you pick, and why? And, which state do you believe is currently the "free-est" based on(in order) - schooling laws, property laws(castle doctrine), pensions (lack of or fully funded), taxes (property/income/sales), pro 2nd amendment, many recognition of common laws (marriage)

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think Texas is but I'm sure there is one that is more free. I will probably always stay in Texas. I wouldn't want to leave the United States unless it was absolutely necessary

I would buy my own island and live out my days drinking wine and laying on my beach.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

At this point, a whole other planet might be nice.

Quote Originally Posted by LibForestPaul View Post
    If you had $X amt of savings, would you pack up (give up US citizenship) to another country, and which country would you settle on?

If you could live/retire in any state, which would you pick, and why? And, which state do you believe is currently the "free-est" based on(in order) - schooling laws, property laws(castle doctrine), pensions (lack of or fully funded), taxes (property/income/sales), pro 2nd amendment, many recognition of common laws (marriage)

Mars. Yes, Mars.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Switzerland. The taxes can be pretty high in the city, but if you live in the countryside the state leave you pretty much alone. Not perfect but better than this.

I like Tennessee. Weather is nice, taxes are fairly low compared to other places. The growing season is very long for people who want to have a sustainable lifestyle. Plenty of water.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Idaho has been looking more and more appealing to me. It's probably where I'll eventually go.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I ain't picky, as long as the road out front is dirt; pretty much anywhere where population density is 10-50 per square mile works for me.

You can't run away from trouble, ain't no place that far.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

I don't want to leave. I still think there's hope for the United States in the future.

If I had unlimited money, though? I would definitely find a place someplace up in Washington, or Oregon. All that woodland area, I'd find a nice quiet place that's still a close distance I can hike to a decent sized town if I need to, but far enough away it's nice and quiet. I'd set up solar panels, clean water irrigation systems for crops, a clean well. About 10 acres to grow food on me to keep me busy. I'd also use the money to hire someone I can trust to come out about once a week to help with the crops, animals, drop off some other nonperishables, and make sure I'm not dead.

It would be my own little rough living paradise. With enough money set back for when I do want to take a vacation (Maybe in the winter months) and just go someplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Suitandtie View Post
    I don't want to leave. I still think there's hope for the United States in the future.

If I had unlimited money, though? I would definitely find a place someplace up in Washington, or Oregon. All that woodland area, I'd find a nice quiet place that's still a close distance I can hike to a decent sized town if I need to, but far enough away it's nice and quiet. I'd set up solar panels, clean water irrigation systems for crops, a clean well. About 10 acres to grow food on me to keep me busy. I'd also use the money to hire someone I can trust to come out about once a week to help with the crops, animals, drop off some other nonperishables, and make sure I'm not dead.

It would be my own little rough living paradise. With enough money set back for when I do want to take a vacation (Maybe in the winter months) and just go someplace.
    In a suit and tie? You shootin' to be the best dressed Grizzly Adams? Welcome to the forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Is Alaska nice?

I like Idaho.... along the rivers... places like Clarke Fork, etc. I also like places in Kansas, Tonganoxie (NW of Kansas City)... I will most likely ride out my career in Kansas and move to a place like Idaho for retirement... or maybe in the White Mountains in Arizona... far from population centers but not so rural that I would be alone in the woods so to speak.
    There are only two things we should fight for. One is the defense of our homes and the other is the Bill of Rights. War for any other reason is simply a racket.
    -Major General Smedley Butler, USMC,
    Two-Time Congressional Medal of Honor Winner
    Author of, War is a Racket!

It is not that I am mad, it is only that my head is different from yours.
    - Diogenes of Sinope

I need smewhere cooler. 80 degrees here in January.

New Hampshire.

Switzerland, Finland or Norway if outside the US.

Very southern tip of South America.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 01-13-2017 at 04:20 PM.

Supporting Member
    North Korea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Finland or Norway if outside the US.
    tsk tsk

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I already did it. Been here in Maine for 3 years now. In that time we have gotten constitutional carry and legal dope. So apparently I chose well. We also have the lowest crime rate in the nation. The rest of the country could go to $#@! and life wouldn't change a whole lot here.

I am good where I am . Plenty of ammo .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am good where I am . Plenty of ammo .
    Which state?

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    Which state?
    South of Indianapolis , North of Louisville .In Indiana .My Mothers people were originally from what would now be called the Upstate NY area. They came here immediately after the Revolutionary War to avoid people .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I like Tennessee. Weather is nice, taxes are fairly low compared to other places. The growing season is very long for people who want to have a sustainable lifestyle. Plenty of water.
    From what I see on the internet, Tennessee interstates are the worse for civil forfeiture.

Quote Originally Posted by dean.engelhardt View Post
    From what I see on the internet, Tennessee interstates are the worse for civil forfeiture.
    I think the sales tax is too high there . Property tax and sales tax are the two hardest to avoid taxes .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by youngbuck View Post
    Idaho has been looking more and more appealing to me. It's probably where I'll eventually go.
    Idaho has many pluses .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    New Hampshire.

Switzerland, Finland or Norway if outside the US.

Very southern tip of South America.
    Patagonia , Land of Giants ?
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd settle in the Live Free or Die state of New Hampshire. Really, it has the most going for it now and certainly the most potential to improve.

There is only one major comprehensive report comparing freedom in the 50 states. That report, Freedom in the 50 States, claims that New Hampshire is the freest state in the nation. https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
    "New Hampshire is overall the freest state in the Union, combining relatively high scores on both personal and economic freedom."

There is only one major report that compares economic freedom in North America. That report, Economic Freedom of North America, claims that New Hampshire has the most economic freedom in the nation. https://www.fraserinstitute.org/stud...h-america-2016
    "New Hampshire leads U.S. in economic freedom two years running; New York still the least-free state"

The future looks bright in New Hampshire. New Hampshire has one of the least bad governors in the nation, and is expected to expand on cannabis freedom, school choice, reduce corporate taxes, eliminate some regulations, and more over the next two years. Plus, back several years ago, the top liberty activists in the nation got together and voted on which state makes the most sense to encourage 20,000 liberty activists to move to, to create a society with liberty in their lifetime. New Hampshire won that vote by the top liberty activists. Since then, 20,000 liberty activists signed up, triggering the 5 year move period, and already, 1,000s of liberty activists have made the move to New Hampshire, with 1,000s more expected.

So if you want some freedom now, overall, NH is your best bet. For example, there are some communities in NH without personal income, general sales, or even property taxes. The same types of very rural communities are also found in Alaska, but those communities are substantially more isolated. Not to mention NH has the lowest unemployment rate, nearly the highest median household income, nearly the lowest crime rate, and the lowest poverty rate.

If you want a lot of freedom in the future, NH is your best bet. There is no telling how free NH will become. However, it is clear, not only is NH going to remain the freest place in the Eastern United States for decades to come, it could well become a truly free place if another 10,000 - 20,000 liberty activists move there.
    Last edited by Keith and stuff; 01-27-2017 at 02:19 PM.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

If I was already in the East , NH would get consideration .I would not though leave from further West to move that close to the huge population centers of commies in the East that would be close by just across state lines. I would consider other places , Alaska is too cold unless you are young . I would consider other places like Southern In, The Indian Territory or Idaho .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Keith and stuff View Post
    I'd settle in the Live Free or Die state of New Hampshire. Really, it has the most going for it now and certainly the most potential to improve.

There is only one major comprehensive report comparing freedom in the 50 states. That report, Freedom in the 50 States, claims that New Hampshire is the freest state in the nation. https://www.freedominthe50states.org/
    "New Hampshire is overall the freest state in the Union, combining relatively high scores on both personal and economic freedom."

There is only one major report that compares economic freedom in North America. That report, Economic Freedom of North America, claims that New Hampshire has the most economic freedom in the nation. https://www.fraserinstitute.org/stud...h-america-2016
    "New Hampshire leads U.S. in economic freedom two years running; New York still the least-free state"

The future looks bright in New Hampshire. New Hampshire has one of the least bad governors in the nation, and is expected to expand on cannabis freedom, school choice, reduce corporate taxes, eliminate some regulations, and more over the next two years. Plus, back several years ago, the top liberty activists in the nation got together and voted on which state makes the most sense to encourage 20,000 liberty activists to move to, to create a society with liberty in their lifetime. New Hampshire won that vote by the top liberty activists. Since then, 20,000 liberty activists signed up, triggering the 5 year move period, and already, 1,000s of liberty activists have made the move to New Hampshire, with 1,000s more expected.

So if you want some freedom now, overall, NH is your best bet. For example, there are some communities in NH without personal income, general sales, or even property taxes. The same types of very rural communities are also found in Alaska, but those communities are substantially more isolated. Not to mention NH has the lowest unemployment rate, nearly the highest median household income, nearly the lowest crime rate, and the lowest poverty rate.

If you want a lot of freedom in the future, NH is your best bet. There is no telling how free NH will become. However, it is clear, not only is NH going to remain the freest place in the Eastern United States for decades to come, it could well become a truly free place in another 10,000 - 20,000k liberty activists move there.

but but.. NH's growing season is what? June, July, August and part of September? Then it's frosty white, right?
    Disclaimer: any post made after midnight and before 8AM is made before the coffee dip stick has come up to optomim level - expect some level of silliness,

The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are out numbered by those who vote for a living !!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by opal View Post
    but but.. NH's growing season is what? June, July, August and part of September? Then it's frosty white, right?
    That's a problem in my book.

Im'ma stay right here.http://www.embassyofheaven.com/
    “[T]he enshrinement of constitutional rights necessarily takes certain policy choices off the table.” (Heller, 554 U.S., at ___, 128 S.Ct., at 2822.)

How long before "going liberal" replaces "going postal"?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast