Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What's going on in your shop?

Cap, post a contact where we can buy these from you.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    All you do to get the look is router two lines in all the drawers. I should be able to handle that with supervision. More than likely, I'll pull everything out and Mr Animal will do it for me if I promise to keep him company and not stick anything in his butt hole whilst he's trying to work. I think I can control myself, he can't concentrate while he's clenched and I want my tables to look nice.
    LOL...

Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    I built a propane forge a few years back and bought a knife grinder.
    I would very much like to see pics of both! What kind of knife grinder? Was it a kit, or did you just buy outright? One of the things I am going to do eventually with these treadmill motors is build a speed adjustable 2x72, so it's not like I'm just spinning my wheels (lol) on this motor controller project.

This is my buddy's propane forge, which we were playing with making fence uprights last fall.

Here we are playing with his "little" hammer, the 65 pounder....

https://goo.gl/photos/4rEDBShDqKnnNex1A

This one is my forge - I don't have room in my shop for giant hammers and do everything by hand....

What you can't see from this pic, that I'm most proud of, is that I made the body and all the hinges and hardware from scratch.

I think here I was heat treating some 410 to send to a guy who can do Rockwell testing on pieces, so we could get data on pieces that were heat treated using low-tech methods, but he changed jobs and we never got it done.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

I want a shop, damn it.
    "Your mother's dead, before long I'll be dead, and you...and your brother and your sister and all of her children, all of us dead, all of us..rotting in the ground. It's the family name that lives on. It's all that lives on. Not your personal glory, not your honor, but family." - Tywin Lannister

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    PM me AF.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

Not much at the moment. Although, I must say, I love my new job.

Last thing I made was some heavy duty shelving to store my tools and consumables, paints and other stuff that has to be stored. It fits pretty much everything I had stored in separate cabinets, opening up some much wanted space...

Now I need some time to work in that space.
    "I am a bird"

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    I want a shop, damn it.
    Mine is a great place to drink beer , hang tools and smoke fine cigars while I admire my duck decoys or open the door and shoot the archery target . I added a 21 x 14 lean to on the side last summer and put muh plow , tractor , trailer and woodsplitter in there.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    I want a shop, damn it.
    Shop project #1: Build a shop.

I want this so bad. We have a few trees to cut down this winter, I think I'll spring it on Mr Animal for Valentines day.

Of course, mine will have to be bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Not sure what I have I could get that hole in there , my largest Hole saw is not big enough......
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Not sure what I have I could get that hole in there , my largest Hole saw is not big enough......
    Lennox has 4-1/2" self-feed bits...

http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/bi-m...rill-bits.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    Lennox has 4-1/2" self-feed bits...

http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/bi-m...rill-bits.aspx
    Thanks, tod!!! I was wondering how to get that hole. I was planning on (having Mr Animal) drilling a bunch of holes, chiseling them out and sanding. Mr A may get one of those bits for his birthday in March.

I also want this table for next to the fire pit. I love the hangers for extra glasses because when we get a big ass bonfire going, it tends to draw people. Right before our property gets wooded, we had the bobcat guy (actually, it was bigger than a bobcat. We hired a bobcat guy but the hill we terraced turned out to be rock and ended up having to get a big equipment guy) move the big rocks into a fire pit shape and we built stairs going up to it (it's at the top of the terraces). I keep a few broke ass chairs up there but a table would be nice and having extra cup storage on the table would be nice, too. I wouldn't take glasses up there but I have a ton of plastic wine glasses because I don't let people take glass around the pool. It pisses me off because my lib sister-in-law can't seem to $#@!ing understand that glass around a pool is a very bad idea. Not only could it $#@! up our liner if any gets in the pool (a pain in the ass and an expense she can't afford to reimburse us for but it goes everywhere and is impossible to find - unless you step on it.) The kids understand this rule but my 60 year old sister in law doesn't get it - liberalism is a mental disorder. She thinks she's going to get cancer from drinking out of my plastic wine glasses a few times a summer. I told her the arsenic in the Franzia will kill all the cancer in the cups.

Dang it

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tod evans again.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

15. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thanks, tod!!! I was wondering how to get that hole. I was planning on (having Mr Animal) drilling a bunch of holes, chiseling them out and sanding. Mr A may get one of those bits for his birthday in March.

I also want this table for next to the fire pit. I love the hangers for extra glasses because when we get a big ass bonfire going, it tends to draw people. Right before our property gets wooded, we had the bobcat guy (actually, it was bigger than a bobcat. We hired a bobcat guy but the hill we terraced turned out to be rock and ended up having to get a big equipment guy) move the big rocks into a fire pit shape and we built stairs going up to it (it's at the top of the terraces). I keep a few broke ass chairs up there but a table would be nice and having extra cup storage on the table would be nice, too. I wouldn't take glasses up there but I have a ton of plastic wine glasses because I don't let people take glass around the pool. It pisses me off because my lib sister-in-law can't seem to $#@!ing understand that glass around a pool is a very bad idea. Not only could it $#@! up our liner if any gets in the pool (a pain in the ass and an expense she can't afford to reimburse us for but it goes everywhere and is impossible to find - unless you step on it.) The kids understand this rule but my 60 year old sister in law doesn't get it - liberalism is a mental disorder. She thinks she's going to get cancer from drinking out of my plastic wine glasses a few times a summer. I told her the arsenic in the Franzia will kill all the cancer in the cups.

Dang it

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to tod evans again.
    Don't forget the chairs;

What's going on in your Mr Animal's shop?
    He thinks he's going to tinker with the Beemer (I think he's in love with that stupid car) next week but I plan on having him install two shelves under a window in my sun room. I have some ghetto looking wire shelf units out there now but I think some built in looking shelves would not only look nicer but be stable. the crappy wire shelves are top heavy with potted plants on top and wobble like crazy when people bump them.

Don't forget the chairs;

AWESOME!!! Stumps take forever to burn and that's an ingenious idea.

I'm really diggin' them with backs on them. At this rate, I'm not going to have anything to burn.

4-1/2" self-feed bits...
    plumber pro tip, that drill bit won't help if you don't have variable speed + reverse 300 RPM hole hog behind it

https://www.google.com/search?q=hole+hog

Of course, mine will have to be bigger.
    carpenter pro tip, you'll want to drill those holes in green wood; preferably a conifer.... avoid knots... a helper applying soapy water to the bore goes a long way
    Last edited by presence; 12-31-2016 at 08:32 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    plumber pro tip, that drill bit won't help if you don't have variable speed + reverse 300 RPM hole hog behind it

https://www.google.com/search?q=hole+hog

carpenter pro tip, you'll want to drill those holes in green wood; preferably a conifer.... a helper applying soapy water to the bore goes a long way
    Hole Hawg's will spin me and a ladder at 300 RPM's....

Hole Hawg's will spin me and a ladder at 300 RPM's....
    best is when you're on a ladder with one of the old aluminium non grounded one's and you hit an electric wire

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    best is when you're on a ladder with one of the old aluminium non grounded one's and you hit an electric wire
    As long as you keep spinnin' you shouldn't ground out...

Seems like a 25' cord is about half a mile long when you're waiting on it to rip out of the wall...

24. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    installed break beam at base of my driveway w/ 75db buzzer in house

dug a shallow trench w/ my new (to me) hilti through the frozen gravel 40' across my driveway...
    laid salvaged 1.5 pvc
    salvaged a bunch of 14 gauge extension cords, pieced together w/ solder/seal molex and shrink tube 400' round trip

given the terrain there's pretty much no other reasonable way onto my land except my driveway...

so now I get a little warning when I have visitors

I finally broke down and bought a cart for my Kitchen so I don't look ghetto. A few years ago, I needed some extra counter space for a party and drug my potting bench in the kitchen. I liked having a cart in there so much, it didn't make it back outside. I got a good deal on one at Overstock and it was delivered today so I decided to put it together. I would normally wait for Mr Animal but I figured it wasn't rocket science and gave it a shot. Whew! It wasn't as easy as I thought but I got it done ALL BY MYSELF. Mr Animal is going to be so happy he doesn't have to do it - he hates this kind of crap.

Btw, I started on it at 11am and finished around 4. I took a few breaks here and there but I was working most of the time. It probably would've gone faster if I were more fluent in Chinese.

Right now, I'm enjoying my victory wine.
    *pat's self on back*

I had some polka going on in my shop last night as I swept.

I have 12 original water colors that I got many years ago. They needed to be framed. Decided to purchase frames that were too big and modify them.

That reminds me, here's something I got done really recently that was one of the more successful things I've done with just crap lying around.
    Pegboard doors for the wire shelves in the basement.

I have been doing so much woodworking recently I forgot how much I like metal. Here's one of the hinges I fabbed up for the doors.

Mrs fisharmor decided she much prefers the way I smell after a night of woodworking, though.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Oh yeah I gotta share one more - credit for this idea goes to my smithing buddy behind enemy lines in Maryland. He somehow scored like a dozen cast off portabands, scrounged parts between them, and gave me one of the working ones.
    He's the one who came up with the idea of making a big table, making it mountable in the leg vise, hose clamping the trigger, and wiring up a light switch on it.
    It's not going to be much use with wood but damn it's been handy so far! I've been doing an awful lot with a sawzall for the last 20 years, and I haven't touched the thing since the portaband showed up.

My father had given me his old dewalt radial arm saw, but wasn't running. Had to do a little troubleshooting... wound up needing a reset button is all, an inexpensive fix... running ok now & has been an indispensable component of my shop.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here are a couple of daggers I made for a charity auction next month.

The one above is a Kunai-style dagger.

I've got more pictures of some of my work if anyone is interested, I post them.
    On Trump:
    How conservative Republicans can continue to support this arrogant imposter—the man who brags about inflicting the world with the Covid mark of the beast; the man who said, “Take the guns first, go through due process second”; and the man who deliberately played and then set up Stewart Rhodes (of course, Stewart was all too eager to be Trump’s patsy) for an 18-year prison sentence—is truly beyond my comprehension.” Chuck Baldwin

33. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cap View Post
    Here are a couple of daggers I made for a charity auction next month.

I've got more pictures of some of my work if anyone is interested, I post them.
    Sweet!

Hell yeah post more pics please...

Son would really like to get into knife making... (He's 12)

Sweet!

Hell yeah post more pics please...

Son would really like to get into knife making... (He's 12)
    These are a couple from the Snake-Series I do.

Cobra

Mamba
    On Trump:

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast