Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WWJE?

WWJE?

There has been a lot of diet drama here lately. So let's go to the ultimate source for diet advice, Jesus Christ!
    We know Jesus liked eating figs.

Mark 11
    12 And on the morrow, when they were come from Bethany, he was hungry:

13 And seeing a fig tree afar off having leaves, he came, if haply he might find any thing thereon: and when he came to it, he found nothing but leaves; for the time of figs was not yet.
    14 And Jesus answered and said unto it, No man eat fruit of thee hereafter for ever. And his disciples heard it.
    We also know he ate meat, far from a vegan, Jesus Christ consumed fish and lamb.

Mark 14
    12 And the first day of unleavened bread, when they killed the passover, his disciples said unto him, Where wilt thou that we go and prepare that thou mayest eat the passover?
    13 And he sendeth forth two of his disciples, and saith unto them, Go ye into the city, and there shall meet you a man bearing a pitcher of water: follow him.
    Notably he ate flesh and animal products at least twice after his resurrection. He loved some broiled fish, a strong manly meal.

Luke:24:
    And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?
    42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.
    John 21
    7 Therefore that disciple whom Jesus loved saith unto Peter, It is the Lord. Now when Simon Peter heard that it was the Lord, he girt his fisher's coat unto him, (for he was naked,) and did cast himself into the sea.
    8 And the other disciples came in a little ship; (for they were not far from land, but as it were two hundred cubits,) dragging the net with fishes.
    9 As soon then as they were come to land, they saw a fire of coals there, and fish laid thereon, and bread.
    10 Jesus saith unto them, Bring of the fish which ye have now caught.
    There are many other passages in the bible about food. Feel free to post any that come to mind, these were the references to what Jesus actually ate that I remember.
    Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I suspect He ate what was provided.
    "Pray then like this: 'Our Father in heaven, hallowed be your name. Your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread, and forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors. And lead us not into temptation, but deliver us from evil.'"
    As we are each individuals and needs vary,, I would trust that to Him.

Ask Him.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Paul on veggies and meat.
    Romans 14
    14 Accept the one whose faith is weak, without quarreling over disputable matters. 2 One person’s faith allows them to eat anything, but another, whose faith is weak, eats only vegetables.
    It's a balance between appeasing his supporters, appeasing the deep state and reaching his own goals.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by William Tell View Post
    You will get no disagreements from the vast majority of Christians regarding the question of diet, there's only a few extremely loud sectarians that tend to make up most of the noise on most of this issue, and sadly their nonsense is given way too much consideration.

He ate a normal kosher diet of Torah observant Israelites. He avoided all the unclean animals listed in Leviticus.

He definitely wasn't a vegetarian. But I think fruit and vegetable based foods likely made up a large bulk of his diet. At the center of this were the species of fruits and vegetables that are sometimes called the seven biblical species: wheat, barley, grape (esp. wine and raisins), fig, pomegranate, olive (esp. oil), and date.

In his time living around the Sea of Galilee, he at a lot of fish. Otherwise, lamb was probably his main meat, but probably something he only ate occasionally. Beef and poultry would also have been in his diet to some degree, along with milk and honey.

Quote Originally Posted by hells_unicorn View Post
    You will get no disagreements from the vast majority of Christians regarding the question of diet, there's only a few extremely loud sectarians that tend to make up most of the noise on most of this issue, and sadly their nonsense is given way too much consideration.
    Seems like Jesus ate animal products more than pretty much anything. I respect the disagreements those who disagree, but nobody seems to want to engage in this conversation with actual bible verses relating to Jesus Christ himself. Maybe because the Bible is crystal clear on this.
    Last edited by William Tell; 09-12-2017 at 08:32 AM.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Jesus lived in a Fallen world.

Any self-described Bible scholar worth his weight knows that much.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-12-2017 at 08:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post

So do we, but we aren't divine. He is.
    "The Patriarch"

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    So do we, but we aren't divine. He is.
    Yeah. He is. But look what 'Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's' turned into. It turned into what it turned into because Man has a curious tendency to twist the Word into however he wants it to conform to his personal indulgences. Entire civilizations have been burned down in the name of God's Good Will. Their libraries burned to the ground, and their women and children raped. Again, all in the name of God's Good Will.

I still don't buy that Jesus drank alcohol either but because people like to get sloshed, then, by God Jesus drank alcoholic wine.

How do we know some 1st century scribe didn't confuse the meat of some nut with his own tendency to relate fish with meat? And alternatively in terms of wine. How do we know some other scribe wasn't just earning his couple of pieces of silver from the king by writing down exactly the linguistic tenor that the king authorized him to write?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-12-2017 at 08:51 PM.

Every Bible within arms reach is authorized by Man and written in whatever language and tenor suits the tendencies, politics, and economic structure of the given time in history. And the winners always get to write it.

Not only that, but the Bible is about 6 linguistics apart from what we think we might contend maybe might be the original translation left for us to pick apart by some other tyrant a couple of linguistics even before that.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-12-2017 at 08:52 PM.

Well, I'm no self-described Bible scholar and even I know that. But the guy called Jesus was perfect and without sin, seems to me he'd be a good diet coach too. I have a hunch if we eat exactly what the bible says he ate we'd be healthy, but I'm no expert myself.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Right. Peter and his followers were vegetarians. The Roman Catholics took in Paul and his followers and then the killed all of of Peter's.

And that's why Paul gets inserted into this stuff.

Like I said. The winners get to write how everthing was and is according to their own whims.

Well, I'm no self-described Bible scholar and even I know that. But the guy called Jesus was perfect and without sin, seems to me he'd be a good diet coach too. I have a hunch if we eat exactly what the bible says he ate we'd be healthy, but I'm no expert myself.
    Well. Meat can mean a lot of things depending on the linguistics of any given time in history which one lives. That's all I'm saying.

I used to crack walnuts off the tree in my front yard when I was a kid. My grandema used to say there was meat inside there. And she was right.

Yeah. He is. But look what 'Give unto Ceasar what is Ceasar's' turned into. It turned into what it turned into because Man has a curious tendency to twist the Word into however he wants it to conform to his personal indulgences. Entire civilizations have been burned down in the name of God's Good Will. Their libraries burned to the ground, and their women and children raped. Again, all in the name of God's Good Will.
    Well, the give unto Caesar thing started by Peter bragging that Jesus paid lots of taxes, so Jesus said Peter go spend some time fishing and when you catch a fish with gold in it pay our taxes. I guess some people might think Jesus was cruel for hanging out with people who killed fish but that's another matter.

I still don't buy that Jesus drank alcohol either but because people like to get sloshed, then, by God Jesus drank alcoholic wine.
    Jesus said that the establishment bad mouthed John as having a devil because he didn't drink, and they bad mouthed Jesus because he did and called him a glutton and a drunkard. I don't see how that even makes sense if he was a teetotaler like John the Baptist but that's another discussion I guess.

How do we know some 1st century scribe didn't confuse the meat of some nut with his own tendency to relate fish with meat? And alternatively in terms of wine. How do we know some other scribe wasn't just earning his couple of pieces of silver from the king by writing down exactly the linguistic tenor that the king authorized him to write?
    Well, like you said people twist the bible all kinds of ways to fit with what they think. Some people even use translation as an excuse to say he wasn't divine. I try to take it pretty simply if it says Jesus ate fish and lamb and drank wine I tend to think he did. If you can give a good reason why I shouldn't trust what the bible says about his diet I'll be happy to hear it out but I've always found it to be spot on, hard to understand sometimes maybe but a good book.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Right. Peter and his followers were vegetarians. The Roman Catholics took in Paul and his followers and then the killed all of of Peter's.

And that's why Paul gets inserted into this stuff.
    Wait so Peter was killed for being a vegetarian and Paul was spared to preach the gospel of cooked flesh? Intriguing never heard that before.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Wait so Peter was killed for being a vegetarian and Paul was spared to preach the gospel of cooked flesh? Intriguing never heard that before.
    It's all in the translation.
    "The Patriarch"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's all in the translation.
    I'm learning a lot. It sure is different to read what students of the word and history say rather than just the raw text. I will continue to pray for wisdom.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Well, the give unto Caesar thing started by Peter bragging that Jesus paid lots of taxes, so Jesus said Peter go spend some time fishing and when you catch a fish with gold in it pay our taxes. I guess some people might think Jesus was cruel for hanging out with people who killed fish but that's another matter.

Jesus said that the establishment bad mouthed John as having a devil because he didn't drink, and they bad mouthed Jesus because he did and called him a glutton and a drunkard. I don't see how that even makes sense if he was a teetotaler like John the Baptist but that's another discussion I guess.

Well, like you said people twist the bible all kinds of ways to fit with what they think. Some people even use translation as an excuse to say he wasn't divine. I try to take it pretty simply if it says Jesus ate fish and lamb and drank wine I tend to think he did. If you can give a good reason why I shouldn't trust what the bible says about his diet I'll be happy to hear it out but I've always found it to be spot on, hard to understand sometimes maybe but a good book.
    You know what I think is simple, wil? Just act right. I grew up in the hills. We didn't have stores around. I learned to hunt because I had to. I didn't hang out in a tree with a plinker scoped at a thousand yards just for sport either. I snuck up on those mofos on their own territory in the middle of winter because I was hungry and I put an arrow in their heart from about 10 yrds out behind a tree. I even got chased away a couple times, I almost got trampled and gored.

But whenever I did get one, I did not kick it. I did not punch it. I did not torture it. I did not direspect it in any way.

That right there is the only problem I have with it. That is not Biblical.

If people want to recite Paul, then I'd say try living like he did. And walking through the meat section at Walmart ain't it. That stuff is so pumped full of chemicals and drugs and then tortured it's whole life just because some fat bastard won't get out from behind the football game on tv and go out in the woods and be Paul-like.

I don't really care what people eat. Do what you want. But if we're gonna be Biblical, then go kill that thing on your own and on his terms and on his turf and then get back to us.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-12-2017 at 09:30 PM.

Don't spin my words.

Don't spin my words.
    So I misunderstood you? I wasn't trying to spin your words I was looking for clarification.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Those SOB's are not Biblical.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Those SOB's are not Biblical.
    They just got translated out.
    "The Patriarch"

They just got translated out.
    Or maybe the Nephilim look like that. They used to talk about them on Coast to Coast.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Now I'm really confused. Was Peter a fisherman or did he collect nuts?

You know what I think is simple, wil? Just act right. I grew up in the hills. We didn't have stores around. I learned to hunt because I had to. I didn't hang out in a tree with a plinker scoped at a thousand yards just for sport either. I snuck up on those mofos on their own territory in the middle of winter because I was hungry and I put an arrow in their heart from about 10 yrds out behind a tree. I even got chased away a couple times, I almost got trampled and gored.

But whenever I did get one, I did not kick it. I did not punch it. I did not torture it. I did not direspect it in any way.

That right there is the only problem I have with it. That is not Biblical.

If people want to recite Paul, then I'd say try living like he did. And walking through the meat section at Walmart ain't it. That stuff is so pumped full of chemicals and drugs and then tortured it's whole life just because some fat bastard won't get out from behind the football game on tv and go out in the woods and be Paul-like.

I don't really care what people eat. Do what you want. But if we're gonna be Biblical, then go kill that thing on your own and on his terms and on his turf and then get back to us.
    Well, first of all this thread is about what Jesus would eat, Paul was a flawed human like us. Secondly, I think they had meat markets back in those days too and there's no shame in buying a stalk of corn you didn't grow or a burger you didn't harvest yourself. Thirdly I have been out there and killed my own meat. I didn't torture or kick it either, but I've shot it and cut it myself. So I don't see how we're any different on that. I'm not sure if Jesus killed his own meat, it's possible he did but it seems pretty clear he ate it anyway.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Now I'm really confused. Was Peter a fisherman or did he collect nuts?
    Apparently he was a vegetarian fisherman.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Apparently he was a vegetarian fisherman.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    Why so confused? He caught fishweed.
    ~Resident Badgiraffe

Why so confused? He caught fishweed.
    Oh, okay... ya got me convinced.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast