Thread: AI creates Beatles-esque pop song

Exclamation AI creates Beatles-esque pop song

One step closer to the versificators.

If you do not know what those are: they were machines, run by the Ministry of Truth, designed to turn out mindless pop music, films, magazines and so on, for consumption by the proles, in 1984.

Only a matter of time...humanity rapidly building a future where it will not be needed.

Robo Rocker: How Artificial Intelligence Wrote Beatles-Esque Pop Song

http://www.livescience.com/56328-how...-pop-song.html

By Jesse Emspak, Live Science Contributor | September 30, 2016 06:17am ET

When researchers recently unveiled the first pop song composed by an artificial intelligence (AI) system, some creative types may have been nervous about the idea of robots taking over their jobs. But how exactly was AI used to write a song?

A team from the Sony CSL Research Lab used a system called Flow Machines to compose the new record, titled "Daddy's Car."

The song sounds like a lost Beatles track from the late 1960s, or perhaps a composition by Brian Wilson of the Beach Boys. François Pachet, the project's lead researcher, told Live Science that the song wasn't created by an AI entirely from scratch, so composers can breathe easy — at least for now.

The song's lyrics, surreal as they sound, were written by a human, French composer Benoît Carré. The team also put together a second track, called "Mr. Shadow," designed to incorporate the styles of Irving Berlin, Duke Ellington, George Gershwin and Cole Porter.

The parts that were written by the computer are known as the "lead sheet," which defines the song's melody, part of the orchestration and part of the mix (which ordinarily audio engineers would then complete). The user, in this case Carré, first chose a style of orchestration. A piece of software called Flow Composer used a database of 13,000 lead sheets to map the style to the lead sheet — that is, take the melody and make it fit the style of music.

"The user has to select the orchestration style from a palette of styles — actually styles here, are human recordings of existing single songs. For instance, a Brazilian guitarist has recorded 'Girl from Ipanema,' [and] we can select this recording, and it is mapped onto the lead sheet," Pachet told Live Science in an email.

The software can then fit the style of the base song — for example, an old Beatles track — to the melody. "If there are chords in the lead sheets that were not played in the audio, the system can still use chord substitutions and audio transformations so that it still 'fits,'" Pachet said. What this means is the artificial intelligence can substitute in music if the specific chords weren't in the song used as a base — the Beatles in this example

Final choices are still left up to the user — for example if the user doesn't like the accompaniments that the AI came up with — but Pachet said in the future, these decisions could be automated as the researchers build a bigger database of which accompaniments "work" better with certain types of melodies. The machines could be taught this, via a kind of reinforcement learning; greater weights would be assigned to the "right" kinds of answers, and eventually an AI could learn what choices sound better to human ears.

Still, there are things that the system does not do well, Pachet said. "The hard part is now high-level 'structure,' or what I call "sense of direction" — i.e., the capacity to establish long-term correlations between elements of the piece (sequence). That is the thing we (and others) are working on currently," he said.

Teaching an AI the "global timbre" of a song is also difficult, Pachet said. A human can say "this song sounds like X," but computers are not good at that kind of holistic thinking, he said.

Lyrics, as it happens, could be written by machine, he added, but the technology isn't yet integrated into Flow Machine.

That said, the individual pieces that will give AI the ability to compose might come together in the future, he added. "Basically, all the basic ingredients are out there, and the trick is to put the pieces together," Pachet said.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    crummy song is crummy lol

computers only do what humans tell them to do. they can't create a song out of whole cloth.

all good music has structure, including pop music. 8-bar intro, 8-bar verse, 8-bar verse, 4-bar chorus. Lather, rinse, repeat. 8-bar break, 4-bar chorus, 16-bar out.

Pop chord progressions are standard, also... whether major or minor.

just sayin.... this doesn't seem like much of a stretch.

G

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Not impressed. Would not buy.

Sounds more like The Monkees to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I like 8 Days A Week and Love Me do better. Then there are All My Loving , Any Time At All , Can't Buy Me Love , Taxman , Carol ( Berry) , Don't Let Me Down , Don't Pass Me By , From Me To You , Get Back , Honey Don't ( Perkins ) , I'm Looking Through You , I'm Talking About You ( Berry ) , Nowhere Man , Yer Blues , While My Guitar Gently Weeps ( Harrison ) etc
    Last edited by oyarde; 09-30-2016 at 11:12 PM.
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I like 8 Days A Week and Love Me do better. Then there are All My Loving , Any Time At All , Can't Buy Me Love , Taxman , Carol ( Berry) , Don't Let Me Down , Don't Pass Me By , From Me To You , Get Back , Honey Don't ( Perkins ) , I;m Looking Through You , I'm Talking About You ( Berry ) , Nowhere Man , Yer Blues , While My Guitar Gently Weeps ( Harrison ) etc
    No comparison to this classic.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I raise you:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    No comparison to this classic.

In order to compete with that you need to get to Red House by Hendrix , Zeppelin - Black Country Woman , Boogie With Stu , Bring It On Home , Trampled Under Foot , Gallows Pole , Hot Dog , Nobodys Fault But Mine , Hey , Hey What Can I Do.....
    Do something Danke

Double down.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

In order to compete with that you need to get to Red House by Hendrix , Zeppelin - Black Country Woman , Boogie With Stu , Bring It On Home , Trampled Under Foot , Gallows Pole , Hot Dog , Nobodys Fault But Mine , Hey , Hey What Can I Do.....
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to oyarde again. Someone help a friend out...

Did someone say Beatles-esque?

"Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

WOW, that sounds exactly like the Beatles.... except for the Ringo better drum machine
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

I like 8 Days A Week and Love Me do better. Then there are All My Loving , Any Time At All , Can't Buy Me Love , Taxman , Carol ( Berry) , Don't Let Me Down , Don't Pass Me By , From Me To You , Get Back , Honey Don't ( Perkins ) , I;m Looking Through You , I'm Talking About You ( Berry ) , Nowhere Man , Yer Blues , While My Guitar Gently Weeps ( Harrison ) etc
    As great as that was, and it truly was tight....... it ain't the Beatles
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post

computers only do what humans tell them to do. they can't create a song out of whole cloth.

all good music has structure, including pop music. 8-bar intro, 8-bar verse, 8-bar verse, 4-bar chorus. Lather, rinse, repeat. 8-bar break, 4-bar chorus, 16-bar out.

Pop chord progressions are standard, also... whether major or minor.

just sayin.... this doesn't seem like much of a stretch.
    Pretty much this^^
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to oyarde again. Someone help a friend out...
    Done

One of my favorite Zep tunes, who happen to be one of my fav bands.

Chester Copperpot

that song is horrible... and while i can see how some of the sounds sound beatle-esqe... the actual composition certainly doesnt follow the beatles formula

Meet the bald Norwegians and other unknowns who actually create the songs that top the charts.

Hardly "created" by the AI. The AI took existing tracks and modified them somewhat. Made them worse to my ears. Even the modifications to the music were "directed" by the inputs of the human who ran the program. It's still a ways off before AI can "create" music...
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

Quote Originally Posted by ChristianAnarchist View Post
    Hardly "created" by the AI. The AI took existing tracks and modified them somewhat. Made them worse to my ears. Even the modifications to the music were "directed" by the inputs of the human who ran the program. It's still a ways off before AI can "create" music...
    Only a matter of time.

And not a long period of time either.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post

Exactly what I was thinking.
    I just ran into this only yesterday. The guy who did it is never going to get the recognition of either of these groups, because he didn't really do anything new - he just arranged two existing things in a new way. But he's still on a totally different planet from this "AI".

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Also, just for you, AF, in case you've never heard it before

There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Only a matter of time.

And not a long period of time either.
    You're familiar with Schoenberg's Serialist period IIRC, right? Well, the process of creating the pitch resources in any given serialist piece is just about creating a 12x12 matrix-a 12 tone row and all possible variations of it. Most serialists do the same thing with the rhythmic motives. Thus, the final piece is not much more than a series of very scientific formulae. It is well within the realm of possibility to give a computer a prime row and let it randomly generate an entire serialist piece. (though it couldn't take instrumental concerns into consideration...but someone using a computer to do all this would prolly just convert the info into MIDI data anyway)
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12