Thread: Harching Chicken Eggs - My automatic incubator

Lightbulb Harching Chicken Eggs - My automatic incubator

Hello,

For the first time I used my automatic incubator for hatching my chickens eggs.

I got many pictures during the process.

Steps ---> Hatching chicken eggs

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You must live where it's warm. I've always had to wait till spring to hatch eggs.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    You must live where it's warm. I've always had to wait till spring to hatch eggs.
    That is what the hatcher is for.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    That is what the hatcher is for.
    Yes, but after they have hatched, you then put them in the brooder till they are big enough to go outside. If it's too cold outside, they won't be able to live till they have all their feathers. Also, you have to keep them away from the rest of the flock till they are big enough to be able to contend with the hen pecking they will get.

Yes, but after they have hatched, you then put them in the brooder till they are big enough to go outside. If it's too cold outside, they won't be able to live till they have all their feathers. Also, you have to keep them away from the rest of the flock till they are big enough to be able to contend with the hen pecking they will get.

At our house, that is what the laundry room is for.

Raised 21 black Australorps. One disappeared for two days. I found her yesterday morning, can't walk and light as a feather, but she made it through the night. Prob. just malnourished, so we will see.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Good thing this doesn't take two years to set up like a pizza oven.
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

I use a small metal dog kennel. I have 1/2" square wire platform about 10" from ceiling with a small ramp for them to get up. A 60w bulb hangs in the space between the crate ceiling and the chicken wire.... then the whole thing gets covered in a canvas. The whole contraption sits in the unheated shed or barn. A dozen or two hatchlings can tolerate about 15F like that huddled up near the bulb. If it gets any colder I just add another 60w and they're fine down to sub zero. If it gets too hot they retreat to lower level.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    I use a small metal dog kennel. I have 1/2" square wire platform about 10" from ceiling with a small ramp for them to get up. A 60w bulb hangs in the space between the crate ceiling and the chicken wire.... then the whole thing gets covered in a canvas. The whole contraption sits in the unheated shed or barn. A dozen or two hatchlings can tolerate about 15F like that huddled up near the bulb. If it gets any colder I just add another 60w and they're fine down to sub zero. If it gets too hot they retreat to lower level.
    pics?
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Where did you get the eggs from ?
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 0000000209172.jpg  
    Last edited by presence; 10-01-2016 at 07:42 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    pics?
    hmm sorry, its broken down right now between seasons.

I'll help a little with the description though.

One of these, minus fido:

on the second side bar down from the top I create a second floor with 1/2" mesh wire (hard wire cloth)

For a stair well, I cut a 4" x 8" hole in the wire... and make a 4" wide ramp down to the lower level so they can easily climb up/down to get away from the heat

lower level gets covered in leaves/wood filings/newspaper etc.

Then I put one of these in so that the bulb sits on the wire shelf a few inches in from the edge of the kennel; I strap in down with some zip ties so it can't touch the canvas wrap. No reflector... birds can get as close as they want to the bulb; kind of like a camp fire.

I strap in one of these diy soda bottle waterers to the side wall; works on same principle as those 5 gallon culligan human water dispensers. Mine's a little different and sits outside the cage and is accessible by poking their head through bars; same concept though...slightly different pvc configuration:

On the opposite side of the cage, strapped to outside with some zip ties is a pvc feeder kind of like:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/26/cf/83/26cf8310e51649a91c0a8e5d56b6d170.jpg

except T shaped with more openings down the side of the cage; key being both water and food are outside of cage so that poop can't fall in.

Then the whole thing gets a 6x8 canvas overtop.... if really cold 2 or 3 canvases or Y fitting on my light bulb assembly and a second bulb. either way I leave some room for the whole thing to breathe near the bottom.

Then heat rises... creates natural warm spot up high and cool spot with food and water down low. It works really well to create a "climb up at night" culture... which helps later as they become full size birds when free ranging to get them to climb back up into their night roosts. Chickens naturally want to roost in the highest part of their cage.

I got my light cord from one of those reflective brooders minus the reflector:

when its cold and the birds are huddled up near the bulb is best time to open cage for cleanout; alternatively... one season I used 1/2 mesh on bottom also in place of drip pan. Then set whole thing on saw horses and let waste fall through to barn floor. Made clean up really easy.
    Last edited by presence; 10-01-2016 at 07:43 AM.