Thread: She Clobbered Him (Don’t Shoot the Messenger)

She Clobbered Him (Don’t Shoot the Messenger)

Judge Nap with a right-on analysis.

She Clobbered Him (Don’t Shoot the Messenger)

By Andrew P. Napolitano

September 29, 2016

In this weekly column and in my on-air work at Fox News, I have characterized former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton as a crook and as the “Queen of Deception.” I have argued that there is enough credible evidence in the public domain to indict, prosecute and convict her of espionage, perjury, misleading Congress, public corruption, providing material assistance to terrorist organizations and obstruction of justice.

I can point to five times when she lied under oath. I know of FBI agents who believe that their hands were tied by the Obama administration in the criminal investigation of her. And I know of American intelligence agents who firmly believe that Americans died because Clinton failed to keep state secrets secure.

She sent emails containing state secrets to a former aide whom she knew lacked any security clearance and whose emails were hacked by hostile foreign governments, and she left classified documents in a bedroom in a foreign embassy where personnel without clearances had access to them.

She refused to use government-secured email devices because she wanted to keep her behavior hidden from the public and from the president. Some of that behavior had to do with using the power of the government to enrich her family’s foundation. I have argued that there is strong, credible evidence to demonstrate that she exercised her official behavior as secretary of state in accordance with the financial needs of her family’s foundation. She refused to see some foreign dignitaries until they gave money to the foundation.

She had her close personal aide, Huma Abedin, employed by the foundation while she was employed by the State Department, such that folks who dealt with Abedin knew that she would ask them for money for the foundation as Clinton’s official gatekeeper; and they’d need to make those payments in return for favorable treatment from the secretary of state.

She even permitted Russian President Vladimir Putin to gain control of a Utah uranium mine in return for the payment by an intermediary of $145 million to her family’s foundation.

Some of the behavior Clinton hid involved her waging an illegal and disastrous war in Libya, in which she used the American intelligence community rather than the U.S. military so as to keep Congress largely in the dark. She conspired with a dozen members of Congress and with President Barack Obama to fight the secret war to topple Libyan strongman and American ally Col. Moammar Gadhafi.

She used her lawful authority as secretary of state to authorize exemptions to the U.N. embargo of arms to Libya by American and foreign arms dealers. She permitted the sale of arms to groups in Libya that were masquerading as anti-Gadhafi militias but — according to the CIA -- were actually terrorist organizations.

She rejected the advice of the CIA and thereby provided material aid to terrorist organizations — a felony under U.S. law. The result of her secret war was the destruction of all order and culture in Libya, the institution of mob rule and the assassination of the American ambassador.

Yet none of the above was articulated by Donald Trump in his debate with Clinton earlier this week.

Trump utterly failed to capitalize on her greatest vulnerabilities — the widespread and largely well-grounded belief that she is untrustworthy and her well-documented record as a failure as secretary of state. I know one of his debate coaches very well. I suspect that the coach gave him superb ideas and one-line zingers, none of which he used. I also suspect that the coach’s advice went in one of Trump’s ears and out the other.

Presidential debates are not won on points and counterpoints. They are won on general impressions. The general impression from Monday’s highly anticipated debate is that Clinton brilliantly controlled the ball and Trump came utterly unprepared. She succeeded in arresting her fall in the polls and reassuring her Democratic base. He failed to give independents and wavering Republicans a good reason to back him.

She clobbered him.

But both candidates’ performances deeply disappointed me. I confess to a moral preference for personal liberty in our supposedly free society. Did you hear the word “freedom” or any of its variants or the Constitution mentioned by either debater? I did not.

Neither talked about natural rights — personal liberties coming from our humanity and untouchable by the government. Trump argued for letting the police stop you on a whim. Clinton argued for massive increases in wealth transfers.

Neither understands the economy. Both want the government to force employers to pay higher wages, to impose higher taxes on the most productive in our society, to impose tariffs on goods we import and to increase our $19.5 trillion national debt. Aren’t those behaviors just what got us into our present precarious economic straits, where all federal tax revenue is now consumed by wealth transfers, the Pentagon and interest on the government debt, with the government being run on borrowed money and borrowed time?

Neither mentioned the primacy of the individual over the state, and neither spoke about the guarantees of liberty in the Bill of Rights. Both believe in a government that can right any wrong, regulate any behavior and tax any event.

Who really wants a choice between two proponents of monster government, bigger than it is now? Whatever became of “that government is best which governs least”? Who will protect us from a government that takes more than it gives?
    Readers can blame Holt all the want- but the real problem is both candidates are $#@!.
    There is no spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Johnson should have been in the debates.

http://blog.dilbert.com/post/1510077...e-first-debate

Clinton won on points. She had more command of the details and the cleaner answers. Trump did a lot of interrupting and he was defensive. If this were a college debate competition, Clinton would be declared the winner. I call that victory on the 2D chess board. But voters don’t care about facts and debating style. They care about how they feel.

Clinton looked (to my eyes) as if she was drugged, tired, sick, or generally unhealthy, even though she was mentally alert and spoke well. But her eyes were telling a different story. She had the look of someone whose doctors had engineered 90 minutes of alertness for her just for the event. If she continues with a light campaign schedule, you should assume my observation is valid, and she wasn’t at 100%.
    But the most interesting question has to do with what problem both of them were trying to solve with the debate. Clinton tried to look healthy, and as I mentioned, I don’t think she completely succeeded. But Trump needed to solve exactly one problem: Look less scary. Trump needed to counter Clinton’s successful branding of him as having a bad temperament to the point of being dangerous to the country. Trump accomplished exactly that…by…losing the debate.

Trump was defensive, and debated poorly at points, but he did not look crazy. And pundits noticed that he intentionally avoided using his strongest attacks regarding Bill Clinton’s scandals. In other words, he showed control. He stayed in the presidential zone under pressure. And in so doing, he solved for his only remaining problem. He looked safer.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post

[/B]
    Trump always looks scary to me- and I agree about Johnson.
    There is no spoon.

The polls coming out today and this weekend will show what hurt him the most was the stuff about his taxes.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

I liked the debate. Then get on the internet and $#@! is all over the place.

I did think he got thrown off his footing a bit under her attacks.

Either way we will see how this goes from polling and Nov 8th.

One thing I noticed is that a lot of people want him to get stuck in explaining to her how things work. I think that will go over people's heads.

There is a lot to be said about this debate.

“I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Judgy Bitch agrees with Adams.

Trump gave a master class in how to fight with a girl
    http://judgybitch.com/2016/09/27/tru...t-with-a-girl/

Edited to add: I think Scott Adams is saying almost the same thing as I am in this blog post. “Clinton won the debate last night. And while she was doing it, Trump won the election. He had one thing to accomplish – being less scary – and he did it.” – He can hardly be less scary by attacking a woman ferociously. Read the whole thing.
    [...]
    I am going to call this a decisive victory for Trump, but not because of anything he said. Trump won by delivering a master class on how to fight with a woman and win. In general, men can’t win fights with women. If you beat the crap out of her (metaphorically or otherwise), you’re a bully who hates women, and not a real man. If you stand there and take a pummeling from her, you’re a pussy who isn’t a real man anyways. Fighting with a woman is almost always a lose-lose scenario. That’s called male privilege, or something.
    [...]
    He understands he can’t win a fight with a woman, and certainly not with a woman who signals her femininity as strongly as Clinton did last night. Trump has some massive strikes left in his arsenal. Benghazi. The Clinton Foundation. Her private server. Immigration. The Second Amendment. Death Taxes. Bill’s rape roster. Big strikes. If and when he pulls them, he is risking the paradox of fighting with women. Nailing her to the wall can backfire on him badly, because many people simply cannot stomach seeing a woman take a massive punch from a man. No matter how much she begs for it. No matter how justified. For many people, you simply don’t hit women.
    [...]
    As long as Hillary never seems staggered by Trump’s blows, he can hit her. The minute the public perceives that he is actually hurting her, he loses. She gains the pity vote. Trump looks like a bully. A few whiny feminists insist he is a bully, because anyone who disagrees with a woman is a bully, period. But average people are watching to see if Trump can constrain himself and not lose it and just beat the crap out of her. If Trump were up against Bernie Sanders, it would be no holds barred, but he can’t do that with Hillary.
    [...]
    Trump won, because he spanked Hillary just enough to let her know her place, but not so hard he triggered the latent white knight in undecided viewers.

In the next debate, if she comes out swinging and lands a few blows on Trump, he can hit back, but not harder. If Hillary’s team is smart, they will have her in pink for the next debate. Ratchet the femininity up as high as possible. Although it honestly won’t matter, as long as Trump sticks to spanking and not pulverizing Hillary. Trump has a ton of kill shots, but just because you have them doesn’t mean it’s smart to use them. Not every shot has to kill. A good mauling will do the trick here, like a good spanking.
    Last edited by Lucille; 09-30-2016 at 12:22 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

[/B]
    Yes, voters do not particularly care about facts but injecting enough damaging facts into the discussion can rattle your opponent and change the way the audience feels about him or her. That is why it was a mistake on Trump not to bring up those facts.

Her tenure as SoS was a disaster from start to finish, he could have bloodied her with those facts alone but for some reason he held back on it.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Judge Nap with a right-on analysis.

Readers can blame Holt all the want- but the real problem is both candidates are $#@!.
    This is the sort of thing he said when he filled in for Kennedy yesterday and I agree with just about everything except this small part

She even permitted Russian President Vladimir Putin to gain control of a Utah uranium mine in return for the payment by an intermediary of $145 million to her family’s foundation.
    She did not let Putin again control of Utah uranium mine, she let a Canadian company have access to it, the Canadian company which was later sold to a Russian state owned energy company. There is no love lost between the Clintons and Russia and I find it hard to believe that she would have approved the deal if she knew that it was going to be bought up by a Russia state owned company.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    This is the sort of thing he said when he filled in for Kennedy yesterday and I agree with just about everything except this small part

She did not let Putin again control of Utah uranium mine, she let a Canadian company have access to it, the Canadian company which was later sold to a Russian state owned energy company. There is no love lost between the Clintons and Russia and I find it hard to believe that she would have approved the deal if she knew that it was going to be bought up by a Russia state owned company.
    A little more to that story:

The article, in January 2013, detailed how the Russian atomic energy agency, Rosatom, had taken over a Canadian company with uranium-mining stakes stretching from Central Asia to the American West. The deal made Rosatom one of the world’s largest uranium producers and brought Mr. Putin closer to his goal of controlling much of the global uranium supply chain.

But the untold story behind that story is one that involves not just the Russian president, but also a former American president and a woman who would like to be the next one.

At the heart of the tale are several men, leaders of the Canadian mining industry, who have been major donors to the charitable endeavors of former President Bill Clinton and his family. Members of that group built, financed and eventually sold off to the Russians a company that would become known as Uranium One.

Beyond mines in Kazakhstan that are among the most lucrative in the world, the sale gave the Russians control of one-fifth of all uranium production capacity in the United States. Since uranium is considered a strategic asset, with implications for national security, the deal had to be approved by a committee composed of representatives from a number of United States government agencies. Among the agencies that eventually signed off was the State Department, then headed by Mr. Clinton’s wife, Hillary Rodham Clinton.

As the Russians gradually assumed control of Uranium One in three separate transactions from 2009 to 2013, Canadian records show, a flow of cash made its way to the Clinton Foundation. Uranium One’s chairman used his family foundation to make four donations totaling $2.35 million. Those contributions were not publicly disclosed by the Clintons, despite an agreement Mrs. Clinton had struck with the Obama White House to publicly identify all donors. Other people with ties to the company made donations as well.

And shortly after the Russians announced their intention to acquire a majority stake in Uranium One, Mr. Clinton received $500,000 for a Moscow speech from a Russian investment bank with links to the Kremlin that was promoting Uranium One stock.
    There is no spoon.

Jan2017

Former Bernie support who will never vote for the crook IS going to Johnson some - a three-way debate would have definitely been good.

Totally disagree that Trump was clobbered . . . but that IS what ya'll are being told to think and say and regurgitate.
    Welcome to the machine, predictably.

Holt treated it as a timed event like a basketball or football game, was not interested at all in vetting the US President
    by the some of the questions. Rather he was just getting through the quarter/half (he called them "segments") - total chit.

Trump had some kill shots he backed down from . . . that he should have taken . . . that may have been a strategy.
    Yet NPR has focus groups saying "Hillary was presidential. Trump was a bully" (pre-planned responses from the machine)
    Amazing to me Trump got to bring up things he wanted to talk about and even get Hillary to conceed her cyberspace criminal "mistake"

Like Pence said the following morning, a vote for Hillary is a vote for the status quo in DC,
    politicians will continue to bury the USA with bad trade agreements, that America loses jobs and prosperity over, like NAFTA.
    Last edited by Jan2017; 09-30-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    Former Bernie support who will never vote for the crook IS going to Johnson some - a three-way debate would have definitely been good.

Totally disagree that Trump was clobbered . . . but that IS what ya'll are being told to think and say and regurgitate.
    Welcome to the machine, predictably.

Holt treated it as a timed event like a basketball or football game, was not interested at all in vetting the US President
    by the some of the questions. Rather he was just getting through the quarter/half (he called them "segments") - total chit.

Trump had some kill shots he backed down from . . . that he should have taken . . . that may have been a strategy.
    Yet NPR has focus groups saying "Hillary was presidential. Trump was a bully" (pre-planned responses from the machine)
    Amazing to me Trump got to bring up things he wanted to talk about and even get Hillary to conceed her cyberspace criminal "mistake"

Like Pence said the following morning, a vote for Hillary is a vote for the status quo in DC,
    politicians will continue to bury the USA with bad trade agreements, that America loses jobs and prosperity over, like NAFTA.
    Are you inferring that Judge Napolitano is part of the machine?

Uh......NO.
    There is no spoon.

Jan2017

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    Are you inferring that Judge Napolitano is part of the machine?

Uh......NO.
    not inferring THAT - noted Judge Nap recognized that there were kill shots Trump missed or did not want to take though.

Media in general and politicians / political machines had a predictable spin on this for the most part -
    I wonder why not a health question from Holt since that is what has been on people's mind.