Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: At least 100 reported injured in NJ Transit Hoboken crash [User Edit]

At least 100 reported injured in NJ Transit Hoboken crash [User Edit]

http://abcnews.go.com/US/nj-transit-...ry?id=42444695

A NJ Transit commuter train crashed into the Hoboken station this morning, according to New York City's Office of Emergency Management.

New Jersey emergency's management system is reporting more than 100 people were injured in the crash, and NJ Transit is reporting multiple passengers are trapped.

Federal investigators are en route, according to Matthew Lehner, spokesman for the Federal Railroad Administration.

Passengers the train, number 1614 on NJ Transit's Pascack Valley line, started in Spring Valley, New York at 7:23 a.m. with a scheduled arrival time in Hoboken of 8:38 a.m, but was running late.
    Last edited by CaseyJones; 09-29-2016 at 08:28 AM.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

At Least 1 Dead, Up to 100 Hurt in Major Hoboken Train Crash

http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local...395249051.html

At least one person died and some 75 to 100 were hurt when an NJ Transit train crashed into the station in Hoboken at the height of Thursday's morning rush, leaving twisted piles of metal and bricks and causing part of the highly trafficked terminal to collapse, officials said.

Preliminary reports suggest the crash involving train No. 1614 on the Pascack Valley Line was accidental or caused by operator error, according to four law enforcement officials, though they stress it is early in the investigation.

twitter is amazing. Insta-journalism. Without pre-edited opinions and finger pointing.

If they're saying 100 injured now, the number is likely to climb. First thought is mechanical failure, second attack is terror attack.

I hope no First Responders are hurt. This is going to be a tough day for them. /s

On a side note - Hoboken has a volunteer ambulance service? Click to see what I mean:

Last edited by angelatc; 09-29-2016 at 08:19 AM.

What, they're not going to claim it was terrorism?
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

just happened, give it time

Uber pre-empting the inevitable "OMG THEY"RE PRICE GOUGING" accusations:

Last edited by angelatc; 09-29-2016 at 09:01 AM.

State media - NBC not even an hour in reported that it was not a terror attack according to Fox. They could not possibly know that so soon when details are sketchy. I think it must be in their Obama rule book for any disaster to immediately discount terrorism.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    They could not possibly know that so soon when details are sketchy.
    They could if they knew of the issue before. and expected an eventual mechanical failure.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Flashback:

Explosive device detonates near Elizabeth train station (VIDEO)

ELIZABETH — An improvised explosive device in a backpack detonated near the Elizabeth train station early Monday as authorities were using a bomb robot to examine the item, officials said.

The blast occurred around 12:40 a.m. near Morris Avenue and Julian Place. The explosion was not a controlled blast, but happened unintentionally as the robot was cutting the device, according to Mayor Christian Bollwage. No one was injured in the blast, Bollwage said.

Authorities found five devices inside a single backpack near the train station, including one that was detonated. After the explosion, press and bystanders were moved back because the four other explosive devices inside of the backpack were still believed to be live, Bollwage said.

No other explosions were heard as of 5 a.m.
    http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...in_statio.html

Three dead and more than 100 people injured after New Jersey commuter train crashes INTO the station

A NJ Transit train crashed into the Hoboken train station Thursday morning
    Three people have died, with more than 100 others injured - including 'multiple' in critical condition
    Passengers said that the train never slowed down as it approached the station
    The train brought down part of the ceiling's station as it crashed straight through track five
    All transit in and out of the station - a major hub for commuters into New York City - has been halted
    The crash appears to be operator error, and is not considered deliberate or an act of terrorism

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4LegpEtSY
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

*Double post*
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    just happened, give it time
    Yep. We need a terror attack on a train to justify TSA on trains.

State media - NBC not even an hour in reported that it was not a terror attack according to Fox. They could not possibly know that so soon when details are sketchy. I think it must be in their Obama rule book for any disaster to immediately discount terrorism.
    My POV is that it's usually the other way around- gives more reasons to keep droning.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    'Zactly.
    There is no spoon.

They could considering they are behind probably 100% of the terror attacks.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    Ok,,

but Hoboken NJ ?

I'm guessing somebody Phucked up. Maybe several of them,, but a scapegoat will be announced.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Regardless just another reason for me to stay away from commuting to the city. It is the same one I take when I go in occasionally, really the only one that comes up my way. I always worry about stuff like this.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    My POV is that it's usually the other way around- gives more reasons to keep droning.
    Once they are forced to admit it. After the first plane crashed on 9/11 they kept denying it was terrorism and they may have gotten away with it if it were not for more than one hijacked planes.

Regardless just another reason for me to stay away from commuting to the city. It is the same one I take when I go in occasionally, really the only one that comes up my way. I always worry about stuff like this.
    I'm going up there for a week vacation on Saturday. First stop Seaside Park to visit my grandmother, site of the first pipe bomb from last week. Then I'm taking the train from NJ to NYC, site of the train crash. Then I'm going to Manhattan, site of the second bomb from last week. Yikes!

I can't believe those trains aren't automated in some way to slow down at terminals. It sounds like it's all up to the guy driving the train. If we can have self driving cars, with millions of variables, why can't a train be automated with like 2 variables.

Quote Originally Posted by Madison320 View Post
    I can't believe those trains aren't automated in some way to slow down at terminals. It sounds like it's all up to the guy driving the train. If we can have self driving cars, with millions of variables, why can't a train be automated with like 2 variables.
    REVEALED: Safety technology designed to stop trains travelling too fast and crashing was MISSING from doomed Hoboken train

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ken-crash.html

A crucial piece of safety technology that helps prevent trains from travelling too fast was not installed on the service that crashed in Hoboken on Thursday morning.

Passengers aboard the No. 1614 Pascack Valley line train say it never slowed down before slamming through barriers and into a wall at the New Jersey station.

A witness at the scene said the engineer was found slumped over at the wheel of the train.

Now it has emerged that the train lacked a system called Positive Train Control (PTC), which combines satellite and computer data to monitor train movements and prevent them from going too fast or hitting other locomotives on the track.

A mandatory report by Federal Railroad Administration revealed that the life-saving technology is not installed on any NJ Transit locomotives.

REVEALED: Safety technology designed to stop trains travelling too fast and crashing was MISSING from doomed Hoboken train

Casey Jones you better watch your speed!

Mandate! Retrofit! Do it nowwwww!

(Hey those are American jobs for Americans!)
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Casey Jones you better watch your speed!
    Trouble ahead,,trouble behind..

and you know that notion just crossed my mind
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Flashback:

Explosive device detonates near Elizabeth train station (VIDEO)

ELIZABETH — An improvised explosive device in a backpack detonated near the Elizabeth train station early Monday as authorities were using a bomb robot to examine the item, officials said.

The blast occurred around 12:40 a.m. near Morris Avenue and Julian Place. The explosion was not a controlled blast, but happened unintentionally as the robot was cutting the device, according to Mayor Christian Bollwage. No one was injured in the blast, Bollwage said.

Authorities found five devices inside a single backpack near the train station, including one that was detonated. After the explosion, press and bystanders were moved back because the four other explosive devices inside of the backpack were still believed to be live, Bollwage said.

No other explosions were heard as of 5 a.m.
    http://www.nj.com/union/index.ssf/20...in_statio.html

Three dead and more than 100 people injured after New Jersey commuter train crashes INTO the station

A NJ Transit train crashed into the Hoboken train station Thursday morning
    Three people have died, with more than 100 others injured - including 'multiple' in critical condition
    Passengers said that the train never slowed down as it approached the station
    The train brought down part of the ceiling's station as it crashed straight through track five
    All transit in and out of the station - a major hub for commuters into New York City - has been halted
    The crash appears to be operator error, and is not considered deliberate or an act of terrorism

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...#ixzz4LegpEtSY

Nothing to see here, proles. Move along.

I said, move along... <tap> <tap> <tap>...
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I can't believe those trains aren't automated in some way to slow down at terminals.
    They are, in a sense. There are mechanisms for tripping the emergency brakes. There are trips every so many hundreds of feet in the NYC subways. When a train passes one, an arm swings upward. When the train goes beyond a certain distance, the arm resets to the lowered position. But if while the arm is up another train passes over it, which would only happen if that train is following too closely, said arm will impact with an arm on the truck of the train which is attached to the emergency brake system, tripping it and thereby engaging the brakes and bringing the train to a stop.

In addition, there is a device called a "dead man switch" that function such that if perchance the motorman were to suddenly drop dead, the corpse would let go of at least one of the two or three levers that must be engaged in order that the throttle will function properly. The train then slows to a halt, thus averting any disaster such as that captioned in this thread.

Trains are pretty heavily monitored. I know that mainline freight trains are very heavily monitored in real time and motormen/engineers can get into very hot water for breaking the rules such as over-speed going into corners, and so forth. Their positions and speeds are very carefully monitored these days. Whatever the cause, I'd bet money I do not have that the watchers knew what was happening as it was happening. This could, therefore, get very interesting.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

If those trains have no automatic stop safeguard that is blatant disregard for public safety. People have heart attacks, people have drug problems, people lose their minds, how can anyone think it rational to solely rely on a human to stop a train from running into a terminal. Insanity.

Yeah, and maybe they shouldn't solely rely on a computer at present, you can do both. It always amazes me how low tech some systems are.

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    They are, in a sense. There are mechanisms for tripping the emergency brakes. There are trips every so many hundreds of feet in the NYC subways. When a train passes one, an arm swings upward. When the train goes beyond a certain distance, the arm resets to the lowered position. But if while the arm is up another train passes over it, which would only happen if that train is following too closely, said arm will impact with an arm on the truck of the train which is attached to the emergency brake system, tripping it and thereby engaging the brakes and bringing the train to a stop.

In addition, there is a device called a "dead man switch" that function such that if perchance the motorman were to suddenly drop dead, the corpse would let go of at least one of the two or three levers that must be engaged in order that the throttle will function properly. The train then slows to a halt, thus averting any disaster such as that captioned in this thread.

Trains are pretty heavily monitored. I know that mainline freight trains are very heavily monitored in real time and motormen/engineers can get into very hot water for breaking the rules such as over-speed going into corners, and so forth. Their positions and speeds are very carefully monitored these days. Whatever the cause, I'd bet money I do not have that the watchers knew what was happening as it was happening. This could, therefore, get very interesting.
    Thanks for that info. It doesn't seem like those safety features you mentioned would help in this case however. They need to trigger the brakes anytime the train is going too fast in a certain location.

I heard they found the black box. Like you said this could get interesting.
    Last edited by Madison320; 09-30-2016 at 10:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by RonPaulIsGreat View Post
    If those trains have no automatic stop safeguard that is blatant disregard for public safety. People have heart attacks, people have drug problems, people lose their minds, how can anyone think it rational to solely rely on a human to stop a train from running into a terminal. Insanity.

Yeah, and maybe they shouldn't solely rely on a computer at present, you can do both. It always amazes me how low tech some systems are.
    The government is too busy doing stuff they shouldn't be doing, like redistributing wealth. They don't have the resources to do stuff they should be doing (assuming you believe in public transportation).

Thanks for that info. It doesn't seem like those safety features you mentioned would help in this case however. They need to trigger the brakes anytime the train is going too fast in a certain location.

I heard they found the black box. Like you said this could get interesting.
    Agree.

Trains usually need at least 1-3 miles to slow down and stop.

Saw a car that was stuck on tracks get hit by an on-coming train. The train company was called and the engineer was trying to stop but it still took the car a mile down the tracks. Luckily everyone was pulled out before the train hit.
    There is no spoon.

A government regulated train crash, will eventually provide government contracts, to rebuild a government station etc.

I think I'll apply for a government grant, to study this so it doesn't ever happen again.

There is win all around, if you dig government and ignore a few deaths and injuries. /s

I spent 30 seconds on that site, and now I'm for gun control and a federal task force to free the black slaves...
    Last edited by bunklocoempire; 09-30-2016 at 11:24 AM.
    Fear of man will prove to be a snare, but whoever trusts in the LORD is kept safe. Proverbs 29:25
    "I think the propaganda machine is the biggest problem that we face today in trying to get the truth out to people."
    Ron Paul

Please watch, subscribe, like, & share, Ron Paul Liberty Report
    BITCHUTE IS A LIBERTY MINDED ALTERNATIVE TO GOOGLE SUBSIDIARY YOUTUBE

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast