Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Gary Johnson Can't Name a Single World Leader That He Respects (mod edit)

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    He eventually said Fox. Should have just said let me think about it instead of saying I am having a Aleppo moment.
    Well if he had actually named Fox, its not like that would have been any better from my POV. I'd prefer him not being able to name any.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Man, don't go. I'm not a Trump Humper, in fact I've been banned for opposing them. I'm not sorry to say that GJ doesn't cut it for me. He didn't in 2012 and he doesn't now. Just differences of opinion.
    Phill, Gary's the only 51-ballot candidate saying he'll pardon Snowden. I know that means something to you.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    That's California hipster style.
    Circa 1982.

Quote Originally Posted by anaconda View Post
    Circa 1982.
    California's always ahead in fashion, about 25-30 years.
    There is no spoon.

We need Jeopardy contests instead of debates."Monetary Policy for $50, please...."

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post

Bill Weld says Merkel. Of course.

That's the part that gave me the biggest cringe.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    Phill, Gary's the only 51-ballot candidate saying he'll pardon Snowden. I know that means something to you.
    It does. But, it doesn't mean everything to me.

I would have said Putin but that would have been worse than the non answer Gary Johnson gave. Which world leader/president do YOU respect?

Since the latest polls show Johnson taking votes from Hillary, look for the attacks to intensify.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Being stoned has it's draw backs. Did he actually say he was having a "brain-fart?"
    Do you think he's been smoking up on the campaign trail or that past pot use has damaged his brain?

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by jct74 View Post
    Do you think he's been smoking up on the campaign trail or that past pot use has damaged his brain?
    I would wager to guess he just doesn't pay that much attention to world affairs. When you are advocating a peaceful foreign policy, trade with all, it's not as important to have a grasp on that type of stuff.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    I would have said Putin but that would have been worse than the non answer Gary Johnson gave. Which world leader/president do YOU respect?
    The right answer - and this goes for ALL foreign policy matters - is, "I don't like to speak in terms of specifics because every leader has good and bad qualities, but the characteristics I generally admire in a world leader are..."

Same thing with Aleppo, or Israel, or any other foreign country. "I won't be speaking about specific problems or issues related to foreign policy because events are ever-changing and a leader has to be flexible, but generally I think that..."

Understand that there is NO right answer to these types of questions. Johnson could have said Mother Theresa and someone would have pointed out in a blog somewhere that she did something wrong once and the media would have taken that to suggest that he supported that act.

I know this response comes across as a dodge - and it is - but that's what you need to do when someone is trying to corner you. If any liberty lovers are thinking about going into politics, you must learn how to do this!
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Gary Johnson Unable To Name A Foreign Leader

Libertarian presidential nominee Gary Johnson — who made news recently by blanking when asked about the conflict in Aleppo, Syria — admitted to having an “Aleppo moment” again when unable to name a foreign leader he respected.

During a televised townhall meeting Wednesday night on MSNBC with the Libertarian Party ticket, anchor Chris Matthews asked Johnson to name his favorite foreign leader.

As Johnson let out an audible breath, his running mate Bill Weld said “Mine was Shimon Peres,” referencing the former Israeli president who died Wednesday.

“I’m talking about living. Go ahead,” Matthews said to Johnson. “You got to do this. Anywhere. Any continent. Canada, Mexico, Europe, over there. Asia. South America. Africa. Name a foreign leader that you respect.”

Johnson replied “I guess I’m having an ‘Aleppo moment’ in the former president of Mexico.”

“I’m giving you the whole world,” Matthews said.

“I know, I know,” Johnson said.

“Anybody in the world you like,” Matthews said. “Anybody. Pick any leader.”

“The former president of Mexico,” Johnson said.

“Which one?” Matthews shot back.

“I’m having a brain…”

“Well, name anybody,” Matthews said.

“Fox,” Weld jumped in and said, referencing former Mexico President Vicente Fox.

“Fox!” Johnson says, “He was a terrific leader.”

“Whose your favorite foreign leader,” Matthews said to Weld. “Get him off the hook. Any foreign leader?”

“Merkel,” Weld replied, speaking of German chancellor Angela Merkel.

“Ok, fine,” Matthews said, “Saved yourself.”
    http://dailycaller.com/2016/09/28/li...oreign-leader/

“Fox,” Weld jumped in and said, referencing former Mexico President Vicente Fox.

“Fox!” Johnson says, “He was a terrific leader.”

“Whose your favorite foreign leader,” Matthews said to Weld. “Get him off the hook. Any foreign leader?”

“Merkel,” Weld replied, speaking of German chancellor Angela Merkel.

“Ok, fine,” Matthews said, “Saved yourself.”
    Jesus...

This whole election is a clown show.

The Libertarian VP nominee thinks Merkel who is destroying Germany is a great leader, LMAO.

If GJ was not a know nothing I would say it was a ridiculous question and he should have said as much but again he is what he is. Really nice guy that I like but a know nothing when it comes to geo-political knowledge.

The LP should have nominated a true intellectual type of libertarian in the mold of a Harry Browne or Ron Paul if they wanted to be taken seriously this cycle.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Seriously gary....fox? Merkel? Lay off the weed dude
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    The Libertarian VP nominee thinks Merkel who is destroying Germany is a great leader, LMAO.

If GJ was not a know nothing I would say it was a ridiculous question and he should have said as much but again he is what he is. Really nice guy that I like but a know nothing when it comes to geo-political knowledge.

The LP should have nominated a true intellectual type of libertarian in the mold of a Harry Browne or Ron Paul if they wanted to be taken seriously this cycle.
    I sometimes think the LP would be getting a lot more traction with crazy John McAfee.

We'll I guess I should vote for the guy who said Putin.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by kahless View Post
    Exactly. Which is part of the reason I won't support him and will be writing in Ron instead, and voting LP down-ballot.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    The right answer - and this goes for ALL foreign policy matters - is, "I don't like to speak in terms of specifics because every leader has good and bad qualities, but the characteristics I generally admire in a world leader are..."

Same thing with Aleppo, or Israel, or any other foreign country. "I won't be speaking about specific problems or issues related to foreign policy because events are ever-changing and a leader has to be flexible, but generally I think that..."

Understand that there is NO right answer to these types of questions. Johnson could have said Mother Theresa and someone would have pointed out in a blog somewhere that she did something wrong once and the media would have taken that to suggest that he supported that act.

I know this response comes across as a dodge - and it is - but that's what you need to do when someone is trying to corner you. If any liberty lovers are thinking about going into politics, you must learn how to do this!
    I see what you are saying but I would still give an answer and then say that I don't like to speak in terms of specifics.......... Yea, but nobody is perfect and that is why giving a name and them following it up with what you like about them and other qualifiers would have been ideal.

I would have said the leader I admire is Vladmir Putin and says that you like the way he stands up to evil and terrorists. Then give em the hands when they start whining about how he is ruining Americans plans in Syria. Ofc, he would swiftly drop way down in the polls after the media loses their collective minds over the answer

He should have said he was having a Rick Perry moment.

What was the rest of the interview about?
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    He can't name a world leader that he respects.

I don't know if I can either. Nigel Farage isn't a world leader. Putin? Heh.

Bill Weld says Merkel. Of course.
    "World leader I like? There are so many, and don't want to leave any out. I would want to have good relations with all."

Nigel Farage would have been a good answer. Matthews didn't say the person had to be in the top position of a foreign government. Then again, Farage is the opposite of Johnson on quite a few issues, so he would get hammered for that answer.

Merkel probably was their best answer. Open borders.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    What was the rest of the interview about?
    Seriously, this was probably, what, an 8-10 minute interview?

All I've heard is the MSM-fed soundbite. What else was said?
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

CNN is hammering Johnson on this. They are afraid he is taking votes from Hillary.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    CNN is hammering Johnson on this. They are afraid he is taking votes from Hillary.
    I think they're making a mistake. The only liberals supporting him are the kind that don't care about this stuff. I think the only people it might turn off are the neocons who thought he was a smarter alternative to Trump.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Seriously, this was probably, what, an 8-10 minute interview?

All I've heard is the MSM-fed soundbite. What else was said?
    Okay, I'll help you guys out here since you seem to be having an Aleppo moment.

GJ: "We should not be involved in regime change."
    GJ: "There have been three polls now conducted among active military personnel and I've been on top of these three polls."
    BW: "Wars have unintended consequences, both economic and military and moral."
    BW: "Militarily, all the weapons that we armed the rebels with in Syria and Libya wind up in the hands of ISIS."
    GJ: "As a result of those interventions, our men and servicewomen are getting killed, they're getting maimed, they're getting injured for the rest of their lives. And in this case, hundreds of thousands of innocents in these countries that get caught in the crossfire of these civil wars."
    GJ: "What are you gonna do about these atrocities? You know what, the atrocities are real. But what's not being realized is that when we go in to support regime change to address those atrocities, the situation ends up to be the same or worse in many situations."
    Great stuff also about Syria and troops on the ground, drugs are not a criminal justice issue and free market solutions to environmental problems.

Johnson is a threat to Chris Matthews' adoration of Clinton. Ask yourself why the only clip from that interview you can find on Youtube is this supposed gaffe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Merkel probably was their best answer. Open borders.
    This is what is destroying the liberty movement and the LP. It is a very naive view that is counter productive to the goal of achieving individual liberty within a region.

If you instituted complete open borders in Germany it would only be a matter of time before Sharia is implemented and the choice is submit, convert or die.
    * See my visitor message area for caveats related to my posting history here.
    * Also, I have effectively retired from all social media including posting here and are basically opting out of anything to do with national politics or this country on federal or state level and rather focusing locally. I may stop by from time to time to discuss philosophy on a general level related to Libertarian schools of thought and application in the real world.

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    How this would be reported/twisted:

"Gary Johnson thinks Kim Jong Un and ISIS leaders have 'good qualities'; dodges question about world leadership."
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Keep on justifying his ignorance. This is a man who wants to be President of the United States. He wants a job that would require him to meet these world leaders and interact with them. If he can't name a single one he respects, then it is one more reason he should not be president. Negotiating with people starts and ends with respect.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast