Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Detroit, Detroit...

Detroit, Detroit...

Worth the watch. 13 minutes.

freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Thought-provoking for sure, but has anything changed/improved in Detroit since 2009?

E.g.: http://www.freep.com/story/money/rea...rena/83191622/

Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

That guy is an idiot for going into those dope houses. If there is "inventory" being stashed there, no doubt someone is watching it.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Sad, truly sad. Good video for people to rethink government involvement Vs. Free Market.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Sad, truly sad. Good video for intelligent and honest and decent people to rethink government involvement Vs. Free Market.
    Fixed that fer'ye.

After seeing this, progressives tend to double-down on the status quo.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

Old vid.

There are plenty of threads here on RPF bashing Detroit.

Like its almost a fetish or something. What's up with that?

Quote Originally Posted by Dary View Post
    Old vid.

There are plenty of threads here on RPF bashing Detroit.

Like its almost a fetish or something. What's up with that?
    I have said before here.
    Detroit is the Canary in the Coal Mine. and as someone asked,, the "R"s took over and it is no better..
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    I have said before here.
    Detroit is the Canary in the Coal Mine. and as someone asked,, the "R"s took over and it is no better..
    That may be true and the politicians who have ruined the city do deserve criticism no doubt.

But I don't remember seeing any other threads about the disastrous conditions that other cites are in here in the U.S. Why is that?

Is Detroit the only city that is $#@!ed up? I don't know but my guess is no. I don't live in those other cities. Does anyone in these bash Detroit threads actually live here?

It makes me wonder what is up with all the bash Detroit threads.

Detroit is better though. Better than what it was back when that vid was made.

That may be true and the politicians who have ruined the city do deserve criticism no doubt.

But I don't remember seeing any other threads about the disastrous conditions that other cites are in here in the U.S. Why is that?

Is Detroit the only city that is $#@!ed up? I don't know but my guess is no. I don't live in those other cities. Does anyone in these bash Detroit threads actually live here?

It makes me wonder what is up with all the bash Detroit threads.

Detroit is better though. Better than what it was back when that vid was made.
    I have a friend whose son moved to Detroit a couple years ago. Picked up a three-story home for a song. Remodeled it, now renting out two floors, and living in the other. Sounds like a lot of people that are into the tech industry are going there because it's so cheap.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    I have a friend whose son moved to Detroit a couple years ago. Picked up a three-story home for a song. Remodeled it, now renting out two floors, and living in the other. Sounds like a lot of people that are into the tech industry are going there because it's so cheap.
    There is definitely a re-birth going on in some places in the city. The new Red Wings stadium and the surrounding 52 blocks are under going a huge renovation. Everything is being replaced, sewers, electrical, streets, lights, new housing and shopping.

Comerica Park where the Tigers play is a beautiful stadium.

The Fox theater, the Fillmore, the Fisher building/theater are all gorgeous.

There is so much history and culture that still exists in the city like The Guardian Building, The Detroit Institute of Arts.

I could go on.

I would be amiss if I forgot to mention that the music scene is still very much alive and well.

There is definitely a re-birth going on in some places in the city. The new Red Wings stadium and the surrounding 52 blocks are under going a huge renovation. Everything is being replaced, sewers, electrical, streets, lights, new housing and shopping.

There is so much history and culture that still exists in the city like The Guardian Building, The Detroit Institute of Arts.

I could go on.

I would be amiss if I forgot to mention that the music scene is still very much alive and well.
    I noticed a lot of murals in that area last time I was there.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

The Fillmore is nice .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    The Fillmore is nice .
    Oh it's absolutely beautiful.

For anyone reading the thread who hasn't seen anything but these negative threads about Detroit, google image The Fisher Building, The Guardian Building, The Penobscot Building.

I guess I just got pissed off at all the negative threads that have been posted about Detroit.

For anyone reading the thread who hasn't seen anything but these negative threads about Detroit, google image The Fisher Building, The Guardian Building, The Penobscot Building.

I guess I just got pissed off at all the negative threads that have been posted about Detroit.
    Penobscot is the name of an Indian tribe that lives in what is now , Maine.
    Do something Danke

I walked around the neighborhood that is close to the airport hotel that I stayed at. And almost every other home was boarded up. Any many vehicles in the yards with a for sale signs. So there are ugly parts of Detroit no doubt. I hope it revives.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Penobscot is the name of an Indian tribe that lives in what is now , Maine.
    So It was so bad that even the Injuns moved out of Detroit.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I walked around the neighborhood that is close to the airport hotel that I stayed at. And almost every other home was boarded up. Any many vehicles in the yards with a for sale signs. So there are ugly parts of Detroit no doubt. I hope it revives.
    Without a doubt. It's an old city that went through some extremely difficult times. The same can be said though for many cities in the U.S.

This is a pretty good link describing some of what is happening in the city now: http://www.traditionalbuilding.com/d...ric-buildings/

So It was so bad that even the Injuns moved out of Detroit.
    It sits on cursed and bloody ground . I never sleep there . It burned to the ground in 1805 . Most american dead there ( 1813) than any battle in the War of 1812 . Pontiac was unable to take it during the last year of the French and Indian War ( 1763) .
    Do something Danke

It sits on cursed and bloody ground . I never sleep there . It burned to the ground in 1805 . Most american dead there ( 1813) than any battle in the War of 1812 . Pontiac was unable to take it during the last year of the French and Indian War ( 1763) .
    Will bad things happen to me? I slept there many times. But I never pissed on any sacred ground I always used the hotel toilet.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I could go on.

Here's a nice article by Karen De Coster- she's from Detroit.

Detroit’s Amazing Pop-Up Anarchy
    Karen De Coster

One of the marvelous things that’s been happening in Detroit demonstrates what’s at the core of the free market: voluntary, spontaneous, pioneering markets in the form of pop-ups. While pop-ups have been popular in places like Berlin, Paris, London, and some larger American cities, Detroit has become a major hotbed of pop-ups over the last two years. Even the Huffington Post has published articles on the Detroit pop-up scene.

Detroit pop-ups are not your conventional, temporary businesses such as those unsightly suburban fireworks stores, or the usual Christmas or Halloween retailers. Instead, the city has attracted art galleries, food and beverage cafes, coffee shops, clothing boutiques, tea houses, vegan restaurants, yoga workshops, antique stores, bike stores, and mercantile-type retailers. Pop-ups are a temporary arrangement, often with a defined start and end time for business operations. Detroit is the perfect place for these temporary pop-up businesses because this city has the basic requirements for a pop-up business:

– Under-used or empty space.

– Low-cost real estate.

– Dense neighborhoods with a shortage of unique retailers.

– Demand for a distinct or unique product or service.

The Villages Community Development Corp has turned Detroit’s Villages (Indian Village, West Village, and Islandview Village) into thriving, vibrant neighborhoods where the pop-ups do very well due to the density of the communities. The Detroit Economic Growth Corporation, a private, non-profit organization, has been instrumental in partnering with communities to drive these temporary businesses to the city. These pop-ups help to bring innovation, stability, and eventually, more permanent businesses to the city’s dense areas. The pop-up model allows for entrepreneurs to test the business waters with low risk and investment costs up front so that local markets can be evaluated for consumer interest and long-term viability. An article in the Detroit Free Press describes Detroit’s pop-up feel:

Guests love them for their spontaneous, insider feel. But for some who stage them, they’ve become a way to test the waters for a product or concept.

In today’s economy, said Boyle, “We have to be creative. We have to be open to collaboration and sharing space, sharing rent, sharing ideas and being creative in how you monetize yourself.

A great example of a pop-up fulfilling a unique need is Wheelhouse Detroit, a riverfront bike shop that opened a new downtown location in the bustling Compuware building that sits on the edge of Campus Martius, Detroit’s downtown “circle.” The pop-up shop is only open during the warm months to satisfy the downtown area’s appetite for cycling. [See my 2010 article: “Is Detroit a Bicyclist’s Paradise?“] Additionally, a suburban bike shop is also testing the potential for Detroit biking by opening a “summer only” bike shop in Detroit’s Eastern Market district.

Business Insider magazine has called this a “new retail trend” that is revitalizing Detroit, and the magazine’s article on Detroit’s pop-up trend also featured Detroit Pop, a local consulting firm that is dedicated to assisting entrepreneurs with launching creative pop-ups in the city. The statist, top-down, conventional view, however, is also reflected in the Business Insider article.

Barry thinks that the pop-up movement in Detroit is an economically stimulating venture, echoed in this Huffington Post piece, but some speculate that it takes away from the value of taxpayer dollars that should go to stationary small businesses and increases the risk involved for the short-term entrepreneurs.

“I don’t think we’re in a place now in Detroit where businesses opening is taking away from others. Competition is good for us,” Barry said. “We need to build up a more dense district. We need more walkable retail areas. But really, we’re not there yet, where we can say that pop-ups aren’t good for us.”

Unfortunately, the old gatekeepers live on, and they still believe that “tax dollars” can make a city thrive, as opposed to the bottom-up, entrepreneurial efforts that bring pop-ups and startups to destitute cities. [See my recent piece on Detroit and anarcho-startups.] In fact, when mobile food trucks first started appearing in the city’s downtown areas to serve on-the-go lunch customers, the local restaurants did their best to keep the popular trucks out of their neighborhoods.

My favorite pop-up business is in the heart of downtown, at Campus Martius, where the Beach Bar and Grill has set up a sand beach with beautifully designed beach chairs and retro design seating, serving alcohol starting at 11am, along with with a great lunch menu. Just across from Campus Martius sits Cadillac Square, a place where multiple pop-up food booths sit, along with ample parking space for Detroit’s mobile food trucks.
    Photo by Karen DeCoster

Photo by Karen DeCoster

Even the ‘burbs most hoity-toity mall, Somerset of Oakland County, has a persistent presence in the city with its CityLoft pop-up that brings 39 luxury retailers to the city during peak seasons, including Sur la Table, Fossil, Gucci, Williams-Sonoma, and Saks. Additionally, and I don’t want to get neoclassical economists too excited, but one chef who is described as one of the “culinary world’s rising talents” has opened a pop-up called Guns+Butter. When Anthony Bourdain was in Detroit last month, he personally visited Detroit’s premier restaurant pop-up.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/lrc-blog...-up-anarchy-2/
    Here's Karen's blog on Detroit.

http://detroitrusttoriches.blogspot.com/
    There is no spoon.

Will bad things happen to me? I slept there many times. But I never pissed on any sacred ground I always used the hotel toilet.
    In 1761 The Seneca began to plot the attack executed in 1763 , 8 forts were taken and two put under seige, the first attack on Detroit was May 7 , by May 9 , every British citizen and soldier found outside the Ft were killed by the Ottawa , Ojibway , Potawatomis , and Huron and for good measure one British soldier was cannibalized .
    Do something Danke

In 1761 The Seneca began to plot the attack executed in 1763 , 8 forts were taken and two put under seige, the first attack on Detroit was May 7 , by May 9 , every British citizen and soldier found outside the Ft were killed by the Ottawa , Ojibway , , Potawatomis , and Huron and for good measure on British soldier was cannibalized .
    Savages, not surprised. I never stop on the reservations when I drive up north to my lakeshore property, unless I have to pee badly.
    Last edited by Danke; 09-28-2016 at 10:06 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Savages, not surprised. I never stop on the reservations when I drive up north to my lakeshore property, unless I have to pee badly.
    Those were not my people , My people are the ones that got Col Crawford on the Crawford expedition . He did not hold up very well so he was only tortured a couple hours before being burnt alive . However , if Pontiac had taken and held Detroit and gifted it to us in alliance , I would accept and there would still be Pontiac's in production .
    Do something Danke

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    You should send me some yellow perch.
    Do something Danke

Those were not my people , My people are the ones that got Col Crawford on the Crawford expedition . He did not hold up very well so he was only tortured a couple hours before being burnt alive . However , if Pontiac had taken and held Detroit and gifted it to us in alliance , I would accept and there would still be Pontiac's in production .
    The more I learn the more I understand the reaction to the savages.

It is in their blood. Maybe Trust but verify.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

I could go on.
    It was different in 1975 too. Vast improvement over 1968,,

I'm not saying the city is dead,,, but it will never be what it once was..
    Unless some serious industry fills the gap.
    Ron Paul 2004

It's all about Freedom

The more I learn the more I understand the reaction to the savages.

It is in their blood. Maybe Trust but verify.
    I agree the British were savages .
    Do something Danke

In the 1670's some french Missionaries found a stone idol there that was venerated by the Indians and destroyed it with axes . That score has not been settled yet and since it still bears the french name for Straight , I imagine it will once again burn to the ground

In the 1670's some french Missionaries found a stone idol there that was venerated by the Indians and destroyed it with axes . That score has not been settled yet and since it still bears the french name for Straight , I imagine it will once again burn to the ground
    And their descendants allow the Injuns to build casino and make amends?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast