Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: U.S. owes black people reparations for a history of ‘racial terrorism,’ says U.N. panel

U.S. owes black people reparations for a history of ‘racial terrorism,’ says U.N. panel

U.S. owes black people reparations for a history of ‘racial terrorism,’ says U.N. panel

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...panel/?ref=yfp

The history of slavery in the United States justifies reparations for African Americans, argues a recent report by a U.N.-affiliated group based in Geneva.

This conclusion was part of a study by the United Nations' Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent, a body that reports to the international organization's High Commissioner on Human Rights. The group of experts, which includes leading human rights lawyers from around the world, presented its findings to the United Nations Human Rights Council on Monday, pointing to the continuing link between present injustices and the dark chapters of American history.

"In particular, the legacy of colonial history, enslavement, racial subordination and segregation, racial terrorism and racial inequality in the United States remains a serious challenge, as there has been no real commitment to reparations and to truth and reconciliation for people of African descent," the report stated. "Contemporary police killings and the trauma that they create are reminiscent of the past racial terror of lynching."

Citing the past year's spate of police officers killing unarmed African American men, the panel warned against "impunity for state violence," which has created, in its words, a "human rights crisis" that "must be addressed as a matter of urgency."

The panel drew its recommendations, which are nonbinding and unlikely to influence Washington, after a fact-finding mission in the United States in January. At the time, it hailed the strides taken to make the American criminal justice system more equitable but pointed to the corrosive legacy of the past.

Despite substantial changes since the end of the enforcement of Jim Crow and the fight for civil rights, ideology ensuring the domination of one group over another, continues to negatively impact the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of African Americans today," it said in a statement. "The dangerous ideology of white supremacy inhibits social cohesion amongst the US population."

In its report, it specifically dwells on the extrajudicial murders that were a product of an era of white supremacy:

Lynching was a form of racial terrorism that has contributed to a legacy of racial inequality that the United States must address. Thousands of people of African descent were killed in violent public acts of racial control and domination and the perpetrators were never held accountable.

The reparations could come in a variety of forms, according to the panel, including "a formal apology, health initiatives, educational opportunities ... psychological rehabilitation, technology transfer and financial support, and debt cancellation."

To be sure, such initiatives are nowhere in the cards, even after the question of reparations arose again two years ago when surfaced by the groundbreaking work of American journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Separately, a coalition of Caribbean nations is calling for reparations from their former European imperial powers for the impact of slavery, colonial genocide and the toxic racial laws that shaped life for the past two centuries in these countries. Their efforts are fitful, and so far not so fruitful.

When asked by reporters to comment on the tone of the American presidential election campaign on Monday, the working group's chairman, Ricardo A. Sunga of the Philippines, expressed concern about "hate speech ... xenophobia [and] Afrophobia" that he felt was prevalent in the campaign, although he didn't specifically call out Republican candidate Donald Trump.

"We are very troubled that these are on the rise," said Sunga.
    Last edited by Danke; 09-27-2016 at 07:24 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...ays-u-n-panel/
    The history of slavery in the United States justifies reparations for African Americans, argues a recent report by a U.N.-affiliated group based in Geneva.
    This conclusion was part of a study by the United Nations' Working Group of Experts on People of African Descent, a body that reports to the international organization's High Commissioner on Human Rights. The group of experts, which includes leading human rights lawyers from around the world, presented its findings to the United Nations Human Rights Council on Monday, pointing to the continuing link between present injustices and the dark chapters of American history.

"In particular, the legacy of colonial history, enslavement, racial subordination and segregation, racial terrorism and racial inequality in the United States remains a serious challenge, as there has been no real commitment to reparations and to truth and reconciliation for people of African descent," the report stated. "Contemporary police killings and the trauma that they create are reminiscent of the past racial terror of lynching."
    Citing the past year's spate of police officers killing unarmed African American men, the panel warned against "impunity for state violence," which has created, in its words, a "human rights crisis" that "must be addressed as a matter of urgency."

The panel drew its recommendations, which are nonbinding and unlikely to influence Washington, after a fact-finding mission in the United States in January. At the time, it hailed the strides taken to make the American criminal justice system more equitable but pointed to the corrosive legacy of the past.

"Despite substantial changes since the end of the enforcement of Jim Crow and the fight for civil rights, ideology ensuring the domination of one group over another, continues to negatively impact the civil, political, economic, social and cultural rights of African Americans today," it said in a statement. "The dangerous ideology of white supremacy inhibits social cohesion amongst the US population."

In its report, it specifically dwells on the extrajudicial murders that were a product of an era of white supremacy:
    Lynching was a form of racial terrorism that has contributed to a legacy of racial inequality that the United States must address. Thousands of people of African descent were killed in violent public acts of racial control and domination and the perpetrators were never held accountable.
    The reparations could come in a variety of forms, according to the panel, including "a formal apology, health initiatives, educational opportunities ... psychological rehabilitation, technology transfer and financial support, and debt cancellation."
    To be sure, such initiatives are nowhere in the cards, even after the question of reparations arose again two years ago when surfaced by the groundbreaking work of American journalist Ta-Nehisi Coates.

Separately, a coalition of Caribbean nations is calling for reparations from their former European imperial powers for the impact of slavery, colonial genocide and the toxic racial laws that shaped life for the past two centuries in these countries. Their efforts are fitful, and so far not so fruitful.

When asked by reporters to comment on the tone of the American presidential election campaign on Monday, the working group's chairman, Ricardo A. Sunga of the Philippines, expressed concern about "hate speech ... xenophobia [and] Afrophobia" that he felt was prevalent in the campaign, although he didn't specifically call out Republican candidate Donald Trump.
    "We are very troubled that these are on the rise," said Sunga.
    lol... Every race has been accosted by white people in history. Heck, every race has accosted other races.

Even if there was some reparations, it won't fix anything. Racial relations will be bad and they would still feel discriminated against. Perhaps all African descendants in the Americas should sue and ask for reparations from the african tribes that sold them to slavery.

Why the hell is UN still around. They are useless when they are needed.

A plane ticket? I might throw a few ducats to a kick-starter or go-fund-me.

When I am Dictator , the UN will be burned to the ground .
    Do something Danke

You beat alucard by 1 minute.

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    When I am Dictator , the UN will be burned to the ground .
    Not an internment camp for politicians?

Target practice blue UN helmets can be bought on e bay for 76 to 99 FRN's .
    Do something Danke

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    You beat alucard by 1 minute.
    Should I have waited?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Not an internment camp for politicians?
    Good idea, internment, and then burn it all down.

Over 1 million casualties, the vast majority white, in a senseless war that started the road to the oppressive police/surveillance state we have now, ostensibly to free slaves.

22 trillion spent on Great Society anti poverty programs.

Reparations paid in full.

$#@! off.
    Last edited by Anti Federalist; 09-27-2016 at 07:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Should I have waited?
    You should demand in flowery prose, with much punctuation!!!! and bolding and colorization (red is a power color ) that his thread be merged into yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    1 million dead, the vast majority white, in a senseless war that started the road to the oppressive police/surveillance state we have now, ostensibly to free slaves.

$#@! off.
    And there ya have it. $#@! off.

Quote Originally Posted by navy-vet View Post
    Good idea, internment, and then burn it all down.
    oyarde and I are kinda like a Reece's.

Not saying it is a good idea but if they are paying, I just want to know if I would qualify and how much would "they" be paying out. Just saying.

Btw, I would vote for anyone who campaigns on burning the UN down with every ambassador and NGO who works with them in it except for a few good ambassadors who I hand pick. Burn it down, salt it, and pour radioactive material in its stead so nothing productive is ever done on that land.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Not saying it is a good idea but if they are paying, I just want to know if I would qualify and how much would "they" be paying out. Just saying.
    After the government and associated parasites get their cut, something will trickle down. Maybe a $25 gift card and a previous generation iPhone. It will cost you $40,000 or more in taxes.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    oyarde and I are kinda like a Reece's.
    Yeah, now that you mention it....

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    After the government and associated parasites get their cut, something will trickle down. Maybe a $25 gift card and a previous generation iPhone. It will cost you $40,000 or more in taxes.
    That sounds good to me, I will take the $25 gift card along with the burning down of the UN and virtually all the ambassadors in it

That sounds good to me, I will take the $25 gift card along with the burning down of the UN and virtually all the ambassadors in it
    I left out a key word: "It will cost you $40,000 or more in extra taxes." And instead of burning the UN, they will join the State and Feds in extracting cash directly from you.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

Although that was not serious comment I'm sure, many will find such comment controversial.

[IMG]https://static01.********/images/2012/11/18/world/rice/rice-superJumbo.jpg[/IMG]

Also, before UN goes too far in this race based justice implementation, they need to clatify would the folks like the mixed-race alleged predator in this photo qualify or not for such reparations?
    Should be excluded considering the charges.

PREDATOR

UNDERAGE CHILDREN

Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    I left out a key word: "It will cost you $40,000 or more in extra taxes." And instead of burning the UN, they will join the State and Feds in extracting cash directly from you.
    I think the carbon tax to be use for this useful purpose.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

it hailed the strides taken to make the American criminal justice system more equitable but pointed to the corrosive legacy of the past.
    Well, as typical of "experts" they are back-ass-wards.

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by enhanced_deficit View Post
    Although that was not serious comment I'm sure, many will find such comment controversial.

[IMG]https://static01.********/images/2012/11/18/world/rice/rice-superJumbo.jpg[/IMG]
    Well seeing as Hillary is pictured in the post, I wouldn't mind paying the 40k in taxes if it is guaranteed that the she devil herself would be in the building when it is burning. And no, I am deadly serious about what I said.

Well seeing as Hillary is pictured in the post, I wouldn't mind paying the 40k in taxes if it is guaranteed that the she devil herself would be in the building when it is burning. And no, I am deadly serious about what I said.
    Seems reasonable to me .

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Over 1 million casualties, the vast majority white, in a senseless war that started the road to the oppressive police/surveillance state we have now, ostensibly to free slaves.

$#@! off.
    Case closed,
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

I open this thread with the intention of saying $#@! them all......

But it's been well covered.

Hmmmm, average blacks in the USA are by a factor of 10X or so more prosperous than anywhere else in the the world and maybe 25X more prosperous than in their ancestor's place of origin. True REPARATION would mean restoring the descendants to the situation that would exist had those ancestors not been forced on the middle passage. I figure a plane ticket to west Africa and $1000 cash for renouncing the USA forever would cover the tab. They would step off the plane in Lagos as members of the local 1% in wealth and education from day one.

For every 1 white slave owner that benefited from slavery there were 10 white non-slave owners that were undercut in the labor markets.

Do they get reparations?

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast