Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spiders!

Exclamation Spiders!

I hate 'em.

Web spinning eight legged freaks.

“Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Another eight-legged freak thread? What triggered this one?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Another eight-legged freak thread? What triggered this one?
    Clowns!

Snakes!

And I walked into one of the disgusting $#@!ers webs just now, while getting a tool out of my truck.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Clowns!

Snakes!

And I walked into one of the disgusting $#@!ers webs just now, while getting a tool out of my truck.
    Lol. There is a huge S.O.B. out at the porch light. He's been keeping the flying fuggers off the sliding glass door so I'm going to leave him. His web did have a stringer that ran across the porch I walked through this morning. He had already crashed after a night of partying though.

The only ones that bother me are the Black widows, brown recluse, and the wolf spiders - they're mean. We had one big ass spider (don't know what it was but it was scary looking) build a web across the shed door and almost caught me when I went to get the mower.

I actually like the Banana spiders (that's what we call them, I'm not sure what their real name is).
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Check your bananas for spiders.

'Painful erection' spiders found in family's fruit

A family have had their home fumigated due to an infestation of "deadly spiders" they say arrived in a bunch of bananas from their local Asda.

Ashley Gamble, from Leicester, told the Sun that dozens of the creepy-crawlies emerged from a cocoon on the fruit.

There is speculation they were Brazilian wandering spiders, a bite from which can cause an "extremely painful" erection and possible death.
    Asda said finds like this were "rare" and it was investigating further.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-l...shire-37472013
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Could you hold a daddy long legs?

I saw a Tarantula a few days ago! First one I've ever seen here... Even got some nifty pics!
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by DamianTV View Post
    I saw a Tarantula a few days ago! First one I've ever seen here... Even got some nifty pics!
    Damn. One of the biggest Wolf spiders I ever saw just ran across the kitchen floor. Out of the corner of my eye I thought it was a mouse. I tried to catch him and throw him out but he got away. Dude was big. Might not have to worry about mice.

A movie ending fit for AF ... stay with it ... then hate me forever.

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

LMAO! The DW just screamed and called for immediate assistance. She snared the big sucker under a plunger in the bathroom. Would have thought Cthulhu had suddenly appeared in there. I slid a plastic cutting board under it and released him to the woods. Tread lightly night creatures. Big daddy has been returned.

I've been noticing a lot of tiny spiders dropping down on webs from the ceiling in my living room. I feel them crawling on me and occasionally I feel like a mosquito is biting me, so I rub the area where I felt the bite. Guess they are just getting ready for winter.

Took a shower a few minutes ago and feel a lot better. Haven't noticed any bites since then.

Dr.3D prepare for your superpowers to appear by morning
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

As long as I don't have to feel like there are little critters crawling on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.3D View Post
    I've been noticing a lot of tiny spiders dropping down on webs from the ceiling in my living room. I feel them crawling on me and occasionally I feel like a mosquito is biting me, so I rub the area where I felt the bite. Guess they are just getting ready for winter.

Took a shower a few minutes ago and feel a lot better. Haven't noticed any bites since then.
    This week has been filled with spiders for some reason. Thread..check, Thenm big ass red boss on the porch light. Biggest Wolf spider I've ever seen tonight trapped by the missus. I'm putting in some quarter round molding on base boards for a customer who swears spiders are crawling out from under them. Then this reminder. I had completely forgotten. Today I was sanding/puttying some 2x12 that will eventually be trim work, don't ask. While doing so I'm smoking a RYO and I put it out on the ground. I keep sanding and the next thing I know there is smoke curling around my head. I look down to see if for some odd reason my cig lit a fire. Nope. Look back up and the swirling smoke is still all around me. Cognition kicks in. Baby spiders floating on webs. Weird week started,portended, by this thread.

Those tiny red deer ticks are the worst. You can get Lyme disease from them.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    This week has been filled with spiders for some reason. Thread..check, Thenm big ass red boss on the porch light. Biggest Wolf spider I've ever seen tonight trapped by the missus. I'm putting in some quarter round molding on base boards for a customer who swears spiders are crawling out from under them. Then this reminder. I had completely forgotten. Today I was sanding/puttying some 2x12 that will eventually be trim work, don't ask. While doing so I'm smoking a RYO and I put it out on the ground. I keep sanding and the next thing I know there is smoke curling around my head. I look down to see if for some odd reason my cig lit a fire. Nope. Look back up and the swirling smoke is still all around me. Cognition kicks in. Baby spiders floating on webs. Weird week started,portended, by this thread.
    That reminds me of when I was a kid and I saw what looked like a red cherry out on the front porch railing. I reached out and touched it and it broke up into thousands of tiny spiders.

In Australia: giant spider carrying a mouse is horrifying and impressive

Australia’s litany of fearsome fauna seems to have a new entry. Added to deadly snakes, man-eating crocodiles and poisonous jellyfish comes Hermie the huntsman, a spider so unusually large and strong that it had no problem carrying a sizeable mouse up the outside of a fridge.

Hermie’s feat was captured on film by Jason Wormal, a tradesman from Coppabella in Queensland, who was heading out to work in the early hours of Monday morning when he says he received an offer from a neighbour that he couldn’t refuse.

“So I am just about to leave for work about 0030 and me neighbour says ‘You want to see something cool’ and I say ‘Hell yeah’, he wrote on Facebook.

“So we proceed to his place and he shows me this. Huntsman trying to eat a mouse.”

On the video shot by Wormal a voice can be heard off screen wondering in amazement: “What’s he gonna do with him? Man that is so cool”.

Stills taken of the spider seem to show the arachnid clutching the mouse by its head with its chelicerae while it scurries up the fridge.

In a later post, Wormal assures his friends that the spider is alive and well.

“Ok guys so just letting you all know that the spider is fine. We have named him Hermie, we have adopted him and he is now running his own extermination business out of our town Coppabella. Oh and he is now paying rent. Lol.”

Graham Millage, the manager of the Australian Museum’s arachnology collection, said it was unusual, but not unheard of, for spiders to target vertebrates.

“This is the first time I’ve seen one catch a mouse, but I have seen huntsmen catch geckos. I’ve seen a redback spider catch a snake in its web, I’ve seen a golden orb spiders catch birds.”

Millage said the banded huntsman could grow to have a leg span as large as 16cm.

However his colleague, fellow Australian Museum arachnid expert Helen Smith, said it was unlikely that Hermie had killed the mouse itself.

“I would be very surprised if a huntsman would attack a mouse and even if it did, that the venom would be sufficient to kill it fast enough for the spider to still have hold of it,” she told the Guardian.

“I am a also suspicious because the mouse’s tail looks quite stiff – as though it has been dead some time.”

While the exact cause of the mouse’s demise remained in question, there was no doubt over Hermie’s remarkable size and stamina, she said.
    https://www.theguardian.com/australi...sive?CMP=fb_gu

They named him Hermie.

He wants to be a dentist

Image: Result of a Brown Recluse bite after 7 days or so...

SPOILER WARNING: VERY GROSS

1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    He wants to be a dentist
    [/url]

It’s like a terrifying scene straight out of a Harry Potter movie, except this time, it’s real.

Photos of a giant huntsman spider that was rescued in Queensland, Australia, last year are going viral — and people can’t believe their eyes.

“Yes, she is very real and very large and not photoshopped,” Barnyard Betty’s Rescue, a local animal sanctuary that rescued the spider, explained in a Facebook post on Thursday.

Though alarmingly large, huntsman spiders — with leg spans of up to 12 inches — are generally known to be gentle, harmless creatures.

This hairy, 8-legged spider nicknamed Charlotte is living proof.

“She was a beautiful, calm spider, not aggressive in any way and like most spiders she just wanted to go about her business eating bugs and living in peace,” the rescue organization explained. “She didn’t or doesn’t need to be killed! Poor spiders are so misunderstood!”

The spider was discovered last October in an old farmhouse.

“The kids came running out of the house yelling to me that there was a spider,” Betty from Barnyard Betty’s Rescue told CBS News. “Their mother wanted to kill it. I said ‘No, don’t kill; I’ll remove it!’”

Ordinarily, when Betty tries to catch a spider, she pops a glass over them on the wall and then slides some paper underneath.

But when she saw the size of Charlotte, she knew she needed a new plan.

“She was the size of a dinner plate,” Betty described. “So, I grabbed an old broom and gently got her to climb onto the broom head.”

After snapping some photos, Betty released the spider into an old shed where she knew she’d be safe from people and predators.

The photos have been shared by 75,000 people since they were first posted in October 2015.

“I’m not sure why now but she is going absolutely viral and become an internet sensation,” Barnyard Betty’s Rescue wrote.

The internet has been fascinated by spiders lately. Last week, a haunting video of a huntsman spider carrying a whole mouse in its mouth up the outside of a refrigerator captured everyone’s attention. Some even called “Mouse Spider” the next “Pizza Rat.”

But Barnyard Betty’s Rescue assures you there’s nothing to fear from Charlotte.

She’s a “magnificent girl,” Betty said.
    http://www.cbsnews.com/news/terrifyi...inkId=30688613

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Newfound spider species masquerades as a dried-up leaf

n the animal kingdom, sometimes the best survival strategy is to pretend to be something you're not — either to ambush unsuspecting prey or to convince predators that you're not very tasty.

And scientists recently discovered a spider that uses a unique masquerade to hide in plain sight. It is the only known spider to have a body that bears an uncanny resemblance to a dangling, partly dried-up leaf.

The find was reported in a new study, though the spider is yet to be described and assigned a species name.

The newfound costumed arachnid is in the Poltys genus in the orb spider family, which contains more than 3,000 species and one spider celebrity from children's fiction — a Araneus cavaticus was the barn spider Charlotte from the classic story "Charlotte's Web" (Harper and Brothers, 1952). [In Photos: 13 Animals That Mimic Plants]

A leggy masquerade ball?

Masquerading is far more common in insects than in arachnids. In fact, many types of insects have bodies that mimic plants. For example, the Phasmatodea order contains hundreds of species of so-called stick insects, which look like bare branches or leaves. And brightly colored orchid mantises have petal-shaped legs to complete their disguises as harmless flowers, tricking other insects into flying close enough for the mantises to snatch them out of the air.

But about 100 spider species also sport physical features that make them appear inanimate and unappetizing, like a jumble of twigs, plant debris or a messy glob of bird poo.

This is the first known spider species to be leaf-shaped. And its discovery was accidental, according to the study's lead author, Matjaz Kuntner, a principal investigator with the Evolutionary Zoology Lab at the Biological Institute Jovan Hadzi, Scientific Research Centre of the Slovenian Academy of Sciences and Arts.

Make like a leaf
    The scientists spied and photographed the unusual arachnid in 2011, while looking for other types of spiders in Yunnan, China. They found the individual — a female — on a twig, surrounded by dead leaves and with no web nearby. The researchers noted that her back looked like a living, green leaf, while the underside of her body was brown, mimicking a dead leaf, and a hairy, stalk-like structure protruded from her abdomen.

Leaves close by the female spider on the branch were attached with silk, which hinted that she had placed them there deliberately to further camouflage herself. However, additional observations would be necessary to confirm this behavior, Kuntner told Live Science.

http://www.foxnews.com/science/2016/...d-up-leaf.html

great...

The only spiders I can tolerate are the tiny jumping spiders. They're actually kind of cute

Last edited by Son_of_Liberty90; 11-23-2016 at 08:24 AM.

What could possibly go wrong?

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast