Thread: Is Ron Paul a libertarian?

Is Ron Paul a libertarian?

some say no, he's a constitutionalist. some say yes, he's a libertarian. some even say he's a neo-confederate, what that has to do with political views i dunno..... well what do you think?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I view the term "libertarian" as an adjective, not a noun. So in that sense, of course Ron Paul is libertarian!

(BTW, when you use labels, you lose.)
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

He calls himself a libertarian, so that's sufficient for me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    I view the term "libertarian" as an adjective, not a noun. So in that sense, of course Ron Paul is libertarian!

(BTW, when you use labels, you lose.)
    "Libertarian" is a quite well defined word. It can be declined as a noun or an adjective.
    For a New Liberty: The Libertarian Manifesto

Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Yes.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

I would say he is, more so than many of those here.

Of course he is

A better question might be, is there an un-libertarian bone in his body?
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Yes. He clearly is. There is no serious disagreement on this.
    Lifetime member of more than 1 national gun organization and the New Hampshire Liberty Alliance. Part of Young Americans for Liberty and Campaign for Liberty. Free State Project participant and multi-year Free Talk Live AMPlifier.

Does the Pope.............

Do smurfs have sex with small mushroom shaped condoms? Does Papa Smurf have blue balls? Does a bear $#@! in the woods?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

Liberty means against Government-over-Man. You'll hear a lot of people define it in their own little way similar to how some friends translate the Gospel to suit their personal lifestyes. To be against Government-over-Man in America is to be libertarian.

This is how it is properly defined in relation to the American heritage.

So yes. Yes he is.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-29-2016 at 08:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    I would say he is, more so than many of those here.
    Which ones?

Wow. So RPF has declined to this.

This site is already pretty much 10 libertarian "purists" with different definitions of libertarianism trying to prove the other forum members aren't libertarian. Now Dr. Paul is suspect.

Who are you people?
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Yes, absolutely his voting record proves it (he isn't called Dr. No for nothing).

The real question is "Is libertarianism Paulian?"
    "Statesmen may plan and speculate for liberty, but it is religion and morality alone which can establish the principles upon which freedom can securely stand." - John Adams

"He is the best friend to American liberty, who is most sincere and active in promoting true and undefiled religion, and who sets himself with the greatest firmness to bear down on profanity and immorality of every kind." - John Witherspoon

Why I stand with Rand

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post

This site is already pretty much 10 libertarian "purists" with different definitions of libertarianism trying to prove the other forum members aren't libertarian. Now Dr. Paul is suspect.

Who are you people?
    if you go on reddit.com/r/libertarian they claim Gary Johnson and even Bill Weld are somehow just as or often times they say they are more libertarian than Ron Paul. that prompted this question

//
    Last edited by cajuncocoa; 10-23-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jesse James View Post
    if you go on reddit.com/r/libertarian they claim Gary Johnson and even Bill Weld are somehow just as or often times they say they are more libertarian than Ron Paul. that prompted this question
    Well, in the past, Ron Paul has advocated for and even been very comfortable with large, invasive, and intrusive state governments. That's consistent with a conservative/federalist position, not a libertarian position.

Hmmm?

The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No. View Post
    Well, in the past, Ron Paul has advocated for and even been very comfortable with large, invasive, and intrusive state governments. That's consistent with a conservative/federalist position, not a libertarian position.
    What's the color of the sky on your planet and how did you get my good friends username?
    The wisdom of Swordy:

On bringing the troops home
    They are coming home, all the naysayers said they would never leave Syria and then they said they were going to stay in Iraq forever.

It won't take very long to get them home but it won't be overnight either but Iraq says they can't stay and they are coming home just like Trump said.

On fighting corruption:
    Trump had to donate the "right way" and hang out with the "right people" in order to do business in NYC and Hollyweird and in order to investigate and expose them.
    Fascism Defined

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    He calls himself a libertarian, so that's sufficient for me.
    He is close enough for a retired hero.
    No one here wanted to be the Billionaire.

some say no, he's a constitutionalist. some say yes, he's a libertarian. some even say he's a neo-confederate, what that has to do with political views i dunno..... well what do you think?
    I'm not sure why libertarian and constitutionalist are "either / or" perspectives. Ron Paul understands that the purpose of the constitution was to put restraints on the size and power of the federal government. I cannot think of why any libertarian would be opposed to that. Now some libertarians seem more willing to use the power of the federal government to restrain what they view as abuse of by the states and Ron Paul seems generally against that but that is more of a tactical position than a philosophical one.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

Then more of us need to get on reddit.com and set those people straight. Gun grabbing Bill Weld is libertarian? It's libertarian to demand that a Jewish baker must bake a Nazi cake?

Of course their attempting to compare Johnson and Weld to Paul proves that Ron Paul is the gold standard for libertarianism and indeed all things liberty.
    9/11 Thermate experiments

Winston Churchhill on why the U.S. should have stayed OUT of World War I

"I am so %^&*^ sick of this cult of Ron Paul. The Paulites. What is with these %^&*^ people? Why are there so many of them?" YouTube rant by "TheAmazingAtheist"

"We as a country have lost faith and confidence in freedom." -- Ron Paul

"It can be a challenge to follow the pronouncements of President Trump, as he often seems to change his position on any number of items from week to week, or from day to day, or even from minute to minute." -- Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    The road to hell is paved with good intentions. No need to make it a superhighway.
    Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    The only way I see Trump as likely to affect any real change would be through martial law, and that has zero chances of success without strong buy-in by the JCS at the very minimum.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post

Who are you people?
    I think you misunderstand the point of the OP.

IIRC, Jesse James is a Trump supporter, and not a libertarian himself. He desperately wants Ron Paul to be something other than a libertarian, and of the options he gave, I'm guessing his favorite is "neo-confederate."

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post

IIRC, Jesse James is a Trump supporter, and not a libertarian himself. He desperately wants Ron Paul to be something other than a libertarian, and of the options he gave, I'm guessing his favorite is "neo-confederate."
    I don't get that impression. I think he's just trying to figure things out, like a lot of people are. He's pretty young, btw.

I wish somebody had pointed this out to me sooner. He doesn't think gay couples should be able to adopt and he believes in the death penalty. That's too far for me. Now I wonder who to vote for. Guess I'm gonna have to write in ole Ron Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't get that impression. I think he's just trying to figure things out, like a lot of people are. He's pretty young, btw.
    Oh, good catch.

My apologies for grouping him in with the deplorables.

Quote Originally Posted by Superfluous Man View Post

you remember wrong.