Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Minarchy May Be The Only Viable Practical Path To Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by nobody's_hero View Post
    The problem libertarianism has is that ideals regarding individual sovereignty are only as good as the people who share that philosophy. --It's ironic. You need an overwhelming number of people who believe in the individual for individualism to thrive.

Otherwise, the collectivists just do away with you.
    As I have mentioned here several times, the collectivist-authoritarians have EVERY advantage on their side, and because of this will likely win in the end. They hold all the... erm... "TRUMP" cards. Their positions rely upon all of the worst of human weaknesses, whereas ours relies on all the requirements of freedom.

It is the classic battle between entropy and order. Entropy always has the upper hand because order requires energy. Entropy asks nothing more than for one to relax and let go. Entropy does all the rest.

Think of the symmetry here between entropy and the progressive authoritarian-collectivist. Entropy represents the relentless march of all unaffected things toward EQUILIBRIUM, which is the march toward pure energy equality. That is to say, everything is literally the same in energy terms. This is precisely mirrored by the progressive, whose goal is the colorless, drab, and dreary sameness of all human condition. One of the great ironies lies in their endless whinging about "diversity" from the one side of their mouths, and their shrieks for "equality" on the other. Are they so stupid or psychotic that they cannot see the rankly ridiculous nature of their wholly self-contradictory position, or are they simply so wholly corrupted with this brand of pure evil that they don't give a tinker's damn?

Progressivism requires nothing more of a man than to let go of himself such that he naturally devolves into an inert, mentally bereft stooge. Freedom requires a man's strength of character and all the work and courage in the world.

The progressive's reward? Mere and idle existence where no effort need be expended by the beneficiary... at least not until the Master finally achieves the goal of total domination, inevitably leading said stooges to this:

The reward of freedom is itself - the pure exhilaration of flying and liberation from the burdens of trying to be your brother's political keeper.
    freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

There is only one correct way: freedom. All other solutions are non-solutions.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Our words make us the ghosts that we are.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tywysog Cymru View Post
    In Russia Napoleon faced an organized army. Guerrilla warfare often works, but that's when large parts of your country have been occupied.
    In Russia Napoleon faced an army that continually retreated before him, slashing and burning all their crops and poisoning their wells. The Russians never had to fight Napoleon, they just watched him starve. Don't collaborate, don't obey and you cannot lose.

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by PierzStyx View Post
    In Russia Napoleon faced an army that continually retreated before him, slashing and burning all their crops and poisoning their wells. The Russians never had to fight Napoleon, they just watched him starve. Don't collaborate, don't obey and you cannot lose.
    The Russians actually did fight the French.

I'm going to present two scenarios:

First, let's imagine that after World War II, Western Germany, France, Britain, and the rest of Western Europe became anarchist. They would be overrun by the Red army within months. They wouldn't have the means to defend themselves against an organized and coordinated Soviet invasion. Sure, millions of people could buy rifles, but how many people can afford tanks, planes, and anti-aircraft weapons?

Second, let's imagine that America became anarchist. A foreign nation would have an extremely difficult time conquering the entire country, but they could easily take small parts of the country without any major repercussions. After all, why would someone in Florida feel the need to help a town in Maine from being subjugated.
    Stop believing stupid things

Napoleon didn't have helicopter gunships. Air power has been a game changer. One can only wonder how the other technologies might fare in other forms of retreat. I suppose we will not know until we try.

It appears that artificial intelligence is at least slightly superior to natural stupidity.

Convincing the world he didn't exist was the Devil's second greatest trick; the first was convincing us that God didn't exist.

First, let's imagine that after World War II, Western Germany, France, Britain, and the rest of Western Europe became anarchist. They would be overrun by the Red army within months. They wouldn't have the means to defend themselves against an organized and coordinated Soviet invasion. Sure, millions of people could buy rifles, but how many people can afford tanks, planes, and anti-aircraft weapons?

Second, let's imagine that America became anarchist. A foreign nation would have an extremely difficult time conquering the entire country, but they could easily take small parts of the country without any major repercussions. After all, why would someone in Florida feel the need to help a town in Maine from being subjugated.
    As far as I've been able to prove thus far, the Russian primarily sniped from the mountains. The Russian winter did the hardest damage to the Grand Armee. Pretty much the same thing happened to the Germans. Lesson to be learned-don't invade Russia in the winter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    As far as I've been able to prove thus far, the Russian primarily sniped from the mountains. The Russian winter did the hardest damage to the Grand Armee. Pretty much the same thing happened to the Germans. Lesson to be learned-don't invade Russia in the winter.
    While the winter was the main reason for Napoleon's loss, the Russians did stand and fight the French at least once at Borodino.

While the winter was the main reason for Napoleon's loss, the Russians did stand and fight the French at least once at Borodino.
    *thumbsup* Indeed.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by osan View Post
    Napoleon didn't have helicopter gunships. Air power has been a game changer.
    Tell that to the people kicking our ass in Afghanistan and Iraq with nothing but trucks and homemade IEDs. The only way you're going to be able to suppress a people in revolt without using actual human soldiers, which would then require an entire nation's worth of soldiers, will be when you invent combat ready AI. In other words, Terminators.

They fought one battle. But that wasn't what determined the conflict.

You don't even need guns to defeat the Red Army. You just need a people unwilling to comply. Noncompliance cripples empires. The point of an empire is to gain power and wealth. When the people refuse to be exploited and refuse to obey you gain neither of those, and the empire becomes a self-destructive sinkhole.

The funny part about your second scenario is the answer is staring you in the face. People from all nations, races, and languages have been coming together for over a decade to fight the American military in the Middle East. And they've been pretty successful too. Whether you call them "terrorists" or "freedom fighters" the ties that bind a people together go beyond nationality, ethnicity, or even state.

Tell that to the people kicking our ass in Afghanistan and Iraq with nothing but trucks and homemade IEDs. The only way you're going to be able to suppress a people in revolt without using actual human soldiers, which would then require an entire nation's worth of soldiers, will be when you invent combat ready AI. In other words, Terminators.
    I will not say that Afghanistan would be a cake walk by any means, but has we gone in there with the intention of waging actual war, we would have wiped them out. This was the same idiocy in which we engaged in Viet Nam, only worse. The rules of engagement are so dangerously backwards that it is no wonder that we are having a time of things.

If it is war you seek to prosecute, then so that and do not pussyfoot around. You kill everything that moves without hesitation or mercy. Otherwise you are jerking off with other people's lives and that practice occupies no more sound a moral position than going in with the full intention of winning quickly and utterly.

Reminds me of the bathtub scene in one of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns where Eli Wallach's character shoots the bad guy from under the water. Afterward he says, "if you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk." It is pretty much the same deal with warring.

PS: And as for AI, if you knew what I knew about that particular subject, you would $#@! your pants, lock yourself in your house and never come out again. I'm serious. I wish I could tell what I worked on, but am in no humor to go to prison for the rest of my life. But I will tell you that 15 years ago the technology was both fascinating and utterly terrifying. I can only imagine where it must stand today.
    Last edited by osan; 09-27-2016 at 06:33 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I will not say that Afghanistan would be a cake walk by any means, but has we gone in there with the intention of waging actual war, we would have wiped them out. This was the same idiocy in which we engaged in Viet Nam, only worse. The rules of engagement are so dangerously backwards that it is no wonder that we are having a time of things.

If it is war you seek to prosecute, then so that and do not pussyfoot around. You kill everything that moves without hesitation or mercy. Otherwise you are jerking off with other people's lives and that practice occupies no more sound a moral position than going in with the full intention of winning quickly and utterly.

Reminds me of the bathtub scene in one of Eastwood's spaghetti westerns where Eli Wallach's character shoots the bad guy from under the water. Afterward he says, "if you're gonna shoot, shoot. Don't talk." It is pretty much the same deal with warring.

PS: And as for AI, if you knew what I knew about that particular subject, you would $#@! your pants, lock yourself in your house and never come out again. I'm serious. I wish I could tell what I worked on, but am in no humor to go to prison for the rest of my life. But I will tell you that 15 years ago the technology was both fascinating and utterly terrifying. I can only imagine where it must stand today.
    Wiped who out? When you kill everything that moves without hesitation or mercy you create ten more adversaries. You may as well just drop a nuke and save blood and treasure. Air power is so 3GW. Catch up ya old fart. We are moving into 5GW. As far as A.I., I can only say, at risk of sounding like a sci-fi geek, "Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed." History is replete with "defense, offense, defense, offense." Adapt, improvise and overcome. Over and over.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    When you kill everything that moves without hesitation or mercy you create ten more adversaries.
    This is not always the case. When potential adversaries know they will be safe if they leave you alone, they will usually leave you alone, particularly when they know you will go balls to the walls if you decide to pick a fight.

I maintain that if you are going to war, then war. Otherwise, stay home.

You may as well just drop a nuke and save blood and treasure.
    I think not because the use of nukes signals a level of aggression that stands to put the adversary on a similar "we got nuthin' to lose" footing, as well as his neighbors. But when you adopt a very similar posture as the central pillar of your defense strategy, you give those potential enemies much pause because they know that if they pick a fight with you, you are going hurt them with single-minded savagery that will appall them endlessly and cause them to curse the day their parents met.

As far as A.I., I can only say, at risk of sounding like a sci-fi geek, "Don’t be too proud of this technological terror you’ve constructed." History is replete with "defense, offense, defense, offense." Adapt, improvise and overcome. Over and over.
    I didn't construct it. I tested it.

This is not always the case. When potential adversaries know they will be safe if they leave you alone, they will usually leave you alone, particularly when they know you will go balls to the walls if you decide to pick a fight.
    Thing is, "terror" is a tactic, not an adversary. You can turn the 'Stan into glass and there will still arise "terrorists". Hell, the CIA created and/or funded quite a lot of them. (one man's "terrorist" is another man's "Freedom Fighter", dontcha know.)
    Last edited by heavenlyboy34; 09-27-2016 at 10:15 PM.

I maintain that if you are going to war, then war. Otherwise, stay home.

I think not because the use of nukes signals a level of aggression that stands to put the adversary on a similar "we got nuthin' to lose" footing, as well as his neighbors. But when you adopt a very similar posture as the central pillar of your defense strategy, you give those potential enemies much pause because they know that if they pick a fight with you, you are going hurt them with single-minded savagery that will appall them endlessly and cause them to curse the day their parents met.

I didn't construct it. I tested it.
    Potential adversaries don't care to remain safe when you are $#@!ting in their back yard. Afghani's weren't "adversaries." They were caught up in a war of aggression by the United States. Bin Laden could have been "had" at the get go. That wasn't the way the cards were meant to be played.

You're the one calling for "if you are going to war, then war." A small nuke at Tora Bora would have been waging war. No? And ended a decades old battle pretty damn quick.

Or maybe we shouldn't have been sticking our prick in the middle-east so long that it came to this. Best to just stay home.

Potential adversaries don't care to remain safe when you are $#@!ting in their back yard.
    Valid point, but wholly orthogonal to that of how to wage war. I completely agree with you on this, but it is a different issue completely that speaks to foreign policy.

I must apologize for having expressed myself insufficiently. My POV on waging war is based on the assumption that you are rational and are not adventuring as Theye currently bemuse themselves. The moment you depart from the sound practices of proper neighborliness as America has since at least 9/11/01, almost anything is possible.

The only valid reason for marching our army into Afghanistan was as an act of self defense against their aggression. In that case, the way forward is with clear, positive military objectives and the will to break your enemy, whatever it takes. We did not do that. We entered with no apparent provocation that I can recall. Once in, we screwed our own men with insane rules of engagement (ROEs), prosecuted campaigns without proper resolve, and then decided to dabble in nation-building. Every political choice we made was in error.

Afghani's weren't "adversaries." They were caught up in a war of aggression by the United States. Bin Laden could have been "had" at the get go. That wasn't the way the cards were meant to be played

No argument from me.

You're the one calling for "if you are going to war, then war." A small nuke at Tora Bora would have been waging war. No? And ended a decades old battle pretty damn quick.
    War on the assumption of justness. We all know how just that shenanigan was. The nuke deal cuts no muster because the perceived nature of such things tends to get lots of people very uptight. Once the first bomb went off, chances are that it's all bets off. We might call nukes a "special case".

Or maybe we shouldn't have been sticking our prick in the middle-east so long that it came to this. Best to just stay home.
    That goes without saying. Even so, once committed, we should have done the job pursuant to a very clear set of military goals, executed with the intention of winning, and then went home. But no. And so here we are.

Valid point, but wholly orthogonal to that of how to wage war. I completely agree with you on this, but it is a different issue completely that speaks to foreign policy.

I must apologize for having expressed myself insufficiently. My POV on waging war is based on the assumption that you are rational and are not adventuring as Theye currently bemuse themselves. The moment you depart from the sound practices of proper neighborliness as America has since at least 9/11/01, almost anything is possible.

The only valid reason for marching our army into Afghanistan was as an act of self defense against their aggression. In that case, the way forward is with clear, positive military objectives and the will to break your enemy, whatever it takes. We did not do that. We entered with no apparent provocation that I can recall. Once in, we screwed our own men with insane rules of engagement (ROEs), prosecuted campaigns without proper resolve, and then decided to dabble in nation-building. Every political choice we made was in error.

No argument from me.

War on the assumption of justness. We all know how just that shenanigan was. The nuke deal cuts no muster because the perceived nature of such things tends to get lots of people very uptight. Once the first bomb went off, chances are that it's all bets off. We might call nukes a "special case".

That goes without saying. Even so, once committed, we should have done the job pursuant to a very clear set of military goals, executed with the intention of winning, and then went home. But no. And so here we are.
    3GW. It's not done that way anymore. Individual actors are perpetrating aggression against the U.S. from within sovereign states. You cannot declare war against the peoples of a sovereign state because there are actors within it. If you do what you get is perpetual war. Where we are at now. To avoid this you issue Letters of Reprisal. And some ex-SOB collects a $10 million, or even a $100 million dollar payday, instead of spending billions and thousands in blood and treasure.

3GW. It's not done that way anymore. Individual actors are perpetrating aggression against the U.S. from within sovereign states. You cannot declare war against the peoples of a sovereign state because there are actors within it. If you do what you get is perpetual war. Where we are at now. To avoid this you issue Letters of Reprisal. And some ex-SOB collects a $10 million, or even a $100 million dollar payday, instead of spending billions and thousands in blood and treasure.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to phill4paul again.
    YOU ARE MAKING TOO MUCH LOGICAL SENSE FOR THE WEBBERNETS!!! ~hugs~

I've never thought that Anarcho-Capitalism is realistic. Without a military another country could come right in and impose their government on anarchy land.
    you are in good company.

that is the very same conclusion that our founders came to.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    The only path to freedom is through contract consented to by all parties.
    how often should this task be performed?
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein

"for I have sworn upon the altar of god eternal hostility against every form of tyranny over the mind of man. - Thomas Jefferson.

Do you imagine that the only means to self-defense is the State?
    against another country. the answer is obvious.

Sir. none of that has anything to do with MinArchy. A truly limited government. simply does not have the power to wage war.

if you continue to hijack the OP's thread... I will have to report you.
    to the "territorial magistrates".
    Last edited by HVACTech; 09-27-2016 at 10:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by HVACTech View Post
    how often should this task be performed?
    individual contracts, freely entered into between parties of roughly equal bargaining power, [is] the surest safeguard of liberty

see pages 105 to 110 of
    The Political Theories of P. J. Proudhon

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/libr...n-s-revolution

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

3GW. It's not done that way anymore.
    It's not? What do we call Eye-Rack? Afghanistan? Libya? Yemen? Crimea?

It is BEING done as I type these words.

Individual actors are perpetrating aggression against the U.S. from within sovereign states.
    On their own initiative? What of when they are "handled" by others - directed to do what they do?

And how does one define "sovereign state" in this case? If a large corporate actor were directing "individual" acts of "terrorism" against targets in the United States and that actor had effective control over the government whence it was issuing its commands, would that not qualify as a "sovereign state"? If the government of that state were unable to act against the corporate agent for whatever reason, would it be your position that we cannot act against them?

You cannot declare war against the peoples of a sovereign state because there are actors within it.
    Most certainly you can. Whether it is advisable to do so is another question entirely.

Where does one draw the line between "the peoples" and the associated sovereign state? This problem of partitioning is the same that has existed for thousands of years. We are not the first to slaughter innocents, and we will not be the last. There are so many fundamental issues here.

For example, consider Germany ca. 1933. It can be plausibly argued that our decimation of the German people with the bombings of Hamburg and Dresden was warranted because the German people brought it on themselves, either through their failure to fight Hitler, or their active joining with him. Either way, they were all part of enabling his rise to power. But once again, where does one draw the line between responsibility to act and innocence? Are ALL the German people guilty of not having put Hitler down? What about the infants and toddlers? Did they deserve death in air raids?

Like all modern tyrants, Hitler hid his minions among the masses, using them as shields - whether intentionally or otherwise. When push came to shoot, the only way to dig out the NAZIs from the flesh of Germany was by the means employed, which resulted in millions of innocent people being killed. And yet, had those opposed to him not done what they did for the sake of preserving innocence, who knows what the world would look like today.

Why didn't we do the same with the Soviets? How much death and destruction by their hands would have been averted if we'd NOT handed them the plans to nuclear weapons on a silver platter and vaporized all their military facilities and their 15 largest cities, to boot? Were those Soviets innocent who failed to fight Lenin and Stalin?

Perhaps you gather the nature of war in general? It is a CRIME. What justification is there for it being waged on national and global bases? Innocents ALWAYS die at the hands of the warring parties. Other than completely ceasing to war, there is nothing any of us can do to stop these "states" from committing these atrocities. And most of the time vast pluralities of the national population are all on board with their "governments" going to bomb the $#@! out of someone.

Look at 9/11. Right afterward Americans were largely ready to go kill sand fleas. It was the same story after Pearl Harbor - yeah baby... go kill them Japs! So we cannot even blame only the governments for what transpires.

War is in the blood. It is part of what humans have become since the age of Empire. The Empire mind is a war-monger... at least so long as the warring is carried out far away.

Only a quantum alteration in the mind of the average man is going to put a stop to this insanity. Do you see that coming down the pike any time soon?

If you do what you get is perpetual war.
    And do you imagine that Theye are not aware of this?

To avoid this you issue Letters of Reprisal.
    Yes yes, but you are not taking Theire nature and objectives into account. Your subtext is one that presumes the capacity and intent to govern properly. That is most clearly not in evidence, whereas the contrariwise fact very much is. We have demons running our lives. We do nothing effective against them in the face of our ability to do so much more. Do we not deserve the abuses we suffer?

You don't even need guns to defeat the Red Army. You just need a people unwilling to comply. Noncompliance cripples empires. The point of an empire is to gain power and wealth. When the people refuse to be exploited and refuse to obey you gain neither of those, and the empire becomes a self-destructive sinkhole.
    If you refuse to obey you get shot or sent to the gulag. And there would certainly be a large number of people who would comply.

The funny part about your second scenario is the answer is staring you in the face. People from all nations, races, and languages have been coming together for over a decade to fight the American military in the Middle East. And they've been pretty successful too. Whether you call them "terrorists" or "freedom fighters" the ties that bind a people together go beyond nationality, ethnicity, or even state.
    If the USA stopped existing, I don't think very many people would risk their lives to keep Canada from taking part of Maine or Mexico from taking part of Arizona. My rifle and shotgun are no match for a modern army.

Looks just like a tunnel in Philly I've walked down. Black as pitch inside and creepy as all hell.

It would be potentially hazardous for you step beyond certain lines, in any event.

BTW, what are you doing there?
    Teaching English. Things are going pretty well right now, and if they keep going this way, I may eventually choose to make an enterprise out of it. I definitely feel the opportunity is there much more than I ever did in the states. I've already done some freelance work and have gained some notoriety for my teaching ability while making a significant and marked impact that will eventually help me gain even more notoriety.

In fact, while this may just be a perception issue, I feel that I've made the biggest impact while I'm not at my actual day job, and I definitely feel like that's where the most meaningful work occurs for me. The market I'm currently is wildly inefficient, but it pays well enough. However, I still feel I make the most meaningful difference outside of work and I'm just looking for the opportunity to make that part of what I do instead of just a side venture.

I've already met hundreds of people through a hiking group called Outdoor English Corner started by a good friend of mine with which I am now heavily involved. Just today I got an offer from someone to tutor a lawyer for his spoken English test as well as a few other offers and I've already successfully helped a 16 year old boy to far surpass his parents' expectations on the TOEFL test, helping to prepare him for studying in the US. Just a couple of examples of the way my life has been made more meaningful and I feel like I've made a huge difference already, far more than I could've hoped for in the US.
    Last edited by PaulConventionWV; 09-29-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    I'm an adventurer, writer and bitcoin market analyst.

Buy my book for $11.49 (reduced):

Twitter: https://twitter.com/LeviGrandt

Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/grandtstori...homepage_panel

BTC: 1NiSc21Yrv6CRANhg1DTb1EUBVax1ZtqvG

Quote Originally Posted by PaulConventionWV View Post
    Teaching English. Things are going pretty well right now, and if they keep going this way, I may eventually choose to make an enterprise out of it. I definitely feel the opportunity is there much more than I ever did in the states. I've already done some freelance work and have gained some notoriety for my teaching ability while making a significant and marked impact that will eventually help me gain even more notoriety.

In fact, while this may just be a perception issue, I feel that I've made the biggest impact while I'm not at my actual day job, and I definitely feel like that's where the most meaningful work occurs for me. The market I'm currently is wildly inefficient, but it pays well enough. However, I still feel I make the most meaningful difference outside of work and I'm just looking for the opportunity to make that part of what I do instead of just a side venture.

I've already met hundreds of people through a hiking group called Outdoor English Corner started by a good friend of mine with which I am now heavily involved. Just today I got an offer from someone to tutor a lawyer for his spoken English test as well as a few other offers and I've already successfully helped a 16 year old boy to far surpass his parents' expectations on the TOEFL test, helping to prepare him for studying in the US. Just a couple of examples of the way my life has been made more meaningful and I feel like I've made a huge difference already, far more than I could've hoped for in the US.
    Good. All the best.

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Regarding guerilla warfare,

Throughout history, most peoples have accepted conquest; there have been relatively few instances of large-scale guerilla resistance.

This is because of its enormous costs, which usually outweigh the costs of conquest.

Option A. Pay 5% tax to the conqueror.

Option B. Suffer through years of war, losing most of your property and risking death, in order to (maybe) avoid paying 5% tax to the conqueror.

A society's wealth is an especially important factor in determine whether it will accept conquest or choose guerilla resistance. The richer a society, the more it has to lose through resistance AND the more attractive a target it is to the conqueror (i.e. the more resources he's willing to expend to conquer it). This is why, historically, a disproportionate number of guerilla wars have been fought by primitive societies on the fringes of civilization: in the mountains, the deserts, the steppe. They had little property to risk (and much of what they had was mobile and thus more difficult to target), and they simply weren't worth a major conquering effort. Ancapistan is exactly the opposite: extremely wealthy, sedentary society with everything to lose - and everything for the conqueror to gain.

This, coupled with the state of military technology, which gives a massive advantage to conventional military forces (no longer can regulars and guerillas have roughly the same equipment), causes me to seriously doubt that ancapistanis would opt to fight a guerilla war, unless the demands of the conqueror were truly draconian ("cut off your right arms and become my slaves" rather than "pay me a modest tax").

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    individual contracts, freely entered into between parties of roughly equal bargaining power, [is] the surest safeguard of liberty

see pages 105 to 110 of
    The Political Theories of P. J. Proudhon

https://theanarchistlibrary.org/libr...n-s-revolution

good luck with that bud.

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

....in order to truly 'comm'unicate we must have a 'comm'on understanding of the terms, concepts, etc. we use...

...and i've found very very very few people, if any, who share a truly 'comm'on understanding of 'liberty'...therefore, there's not much honest communication about 'liberty'...[which again, is nothing more or less than 'anarchy' right?...btw, why two words for the same thing?..and what's the difference between 'freedom' and 'liberty'?...three words and counting...yada yada yada...
    Last edited by H. E. Panqui; 10-02-2016 at 09:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by H. E. Panqui View Post
    ....in order to truly 'comm'unicate we must have a 'comm'on understanding of the terms, concepts, etc. we use...

...and i've found very very very few people, if any, who share a truly 'comm'on understanding of 'liberty'...therefore, there's not much honest communication about 'liberty'...[which again, is nothing more or less than 'anarchy' right?...btw, why two words for the same thing?..and what's the difference between 'freedom' and 'liberty'?...three words and counting...yada yada yada...
    Several others come to mind.

• ability
    • accord
    • carte blanche
    • discretion
    • facility
    • free rein
    • free will
    • latitude
    • leeway
    • margin
    • power
    • prerogative
    • range
    • right
    • unrestraint

Nonetheless, your point regarding communication is well taken. Communication is devilish business. This is especially the case where relations are either adversarial, dishonest, the stakes are high, or some combination thereof. It is just one more compelling reason for people to learn the habit of leaving each other alone, mind their own business, and leave each other to their freedoms.

It is precisely this brand of misapprehension that leads me to lecture people on the central importance of language and the principles of proper human relations. Unfortunately, the world could give a damn about any of it.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast