Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "What’s lost as cursive handwriting goes away? Intelligence … memory …"

"What’s lost as cursive handwriting goes away? Intelligence … memory …"

The other threads on cursive have been locked, so I'll start another since I came across something today.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...emory-%85-quot

Does handwriting matter?

Not very much, according to many educators. The Common Core standards, which have been adopted in most states, call for teaching legible writing, but only in kindergarten and first grade. After that, the emphasis quickly shifts to proficiency on the keyboard.

But psychologists and neuroscientists say it is far too soon to declare handwriting a relic of the past. New evidence suggests that the links between handwriting and broader educational development run deep.

Children not only learn to read more quickly when they first learn to write by hand, but they also remain better able to generate ideas and retain information. In other words, it’s not just what we write that matters — but how.
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...iful-Diversity

Beyond all the cognitive, academic, intellectual, and aesthetic benefits of cursive, there is perhaps one more. Cursive, despite its loopy letters and structured theory, truly develops with the individual hand. Thus, every person’s handwriting will be unique and personal. In an age of computers, where professors mandate essays in Times New Roman 12 pt, and a swath of fonts are available via Dafont, cursive preserves artistic diversity. And it is comforting to know that we few cursive users still have a unique print in the world. The Atlantic article sums it up nicely: “In a very meaningful way, the debate between cursive and print, or keyboards and handwriting, is entirely up to us: what type of mark do we want to leave?”
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    The other threads on cursive have been locked, so I'll start another since I came across something today.
    Everything old is new again.

Good handwriting will make a comeback... Probably be a couple 2 or 3 more generations, but I reckon it will come back the same way it flourished the first time.

First, a stylish novelty, then adopted by the wealthy and well-to-do, then filter down to the masses.
    Last edited by Jamesiv1; 09-23-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Why would someone lock cursive writing threads ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post

Girls with pens?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Girls with pens?
    That would help young men . Make a scroll to with a pin up girl for each letter. Maybe I would have gotten better than a C in writing .

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post

Girls with pens?
    A girl with a pen is often dangerous.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Cursive is great. It is a great way to write quickly, legibly, without pulling a pencil or pen off a pad to get to the next letter. It's kinda like speed reading where you look at a word as a block instead of individual letters. I've always envied those that do "short hand." In fact, what a great idea! This winter I am going to learn shorthand.

Good thread is good. HB34 writes Englsih and Russian cursive daily. Occasionally German.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Good thread is good. HB34 writes Englsih and Russian cursive daily. Occasionally German.
    We've spoken before about the fighting discipline I was in..the Society for Creative Anachronism. The Medieval recreation sport. Anyway as part of my discipline I had to create scrolls for other individuals that achieved ranking in their discipline. I cheated a lot. Used graphite to place before using a pen and ink. But that wasn't necessarily cheating. Had a lot of fun customizing a "scroll" with artwork also. Shoulda took a picture of them.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    We've spoken before about the fighting discipline I was in..the Society for Creative Anachronism. The Medieval recreation sport. Anyway as part of my discipline I had to create scrolls for other individuals that achieved ranking in their discipline. I cheated a lot. Used graphite to place before using a pen and ink. But that wasn't necessarily cheating. Had a lot of fun customizing a "scroll" with artwork also. Shoulda took a picture of them.
    Cool story, bro. Did you also pencil in lines so as to write perfectly horizontally (an aid like the lines on notebook paper)? I sometimes do that if I'm doing artsy typography for graphic design by hand for whatever reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    Cool story, bro. Did you also pencil in lines so as to write perfectly horizontally (an aid like the lines on notebook paper)? I sometimes do that if I'm doing artsy typography for graphic design by hand for whatever reason.
    No. Just used a straight edge. I'm left handed and a 24" standard level kept my palm off the ink writing left to right. Improvise, adapt, overcome.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    SCA? DUDE! I knew we had a lot in common- done lottsa stuff with them- love the sword!

And cursive helps connect the brain. It has a similar effect that music and all the arts have on the brain.

I came to realize that all my spelling memory is in my right hand; my spelling is pretty much 100% when writing; about 98% on keyboard- and on keyboard I seem to be slightly dyslexic.

I also find that the students I work with, who do not know cursive, have a harder time in basic learning skills.
    There is no spoon.

Learned cursive in 2nd/3rd grade, basically only used it after the age of 12 for writing my signature. And now I don't care to even write my signature legibly. So those hours of learning cursive for me were a complete and total waste. Maybe only useful for reading it.

Bought one of these when I was 16. I still use it for anything (semi) official. I still need to walk into a large sum of money so I can buy a gold one. But hey.. This is much better than a ball-point. Writing in cursive was mandatory in the first years of school, then later nobody cared anymore and very few people would write cursive. Let alone with a fountain pen.. I am generally the oddball so I decided to get a nice fountain pen and taught myself to write with it.. It wasn't a bad decision. I also have handmade paper and envelopes, wax for seals and some seal stamps... These days however, the women find that creepy... I still think it's how communication should be done. Oh and $#@! the mailman for breaking my seals!
    "I am a bird"

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    and that isn't even cursive, that is just fancy print.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesiv1 View Post

This is cursive.

Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    This is cursive.
    Exactly.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    Learned cursive in 2nd/3rd grade, basically only used it after the age of 12 for writing my signature. And now I don't care to even write my signature legibly. So those hours of learning cursive for me were a complete and total waste. Maybe only useful for reading it.
    LOL

Children not only learn to read more quickly when they first learn to write by hand, but they also remain better able to generate ideas and retain information. In other words, it’s not just what we write that matters — but how.
    Quote Originally Posted by libertyjam View Post
    and that isn't even cursive, that is just fancy print.
    Calligraphy!
    --Albert J. Nock

I can tell you right now my writing got worse over the years.

I also noticed when I write sloppy I am also not thinking my best or trying to be lazy.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowlesy View Post
    Americans in general are jedi masters of blaming every other person.

Back when dinosaurs roamed the earth and I was in college, I looked over my notes from class and could not read what I just wrote. I got busy writing more neatly. It came in handy when I had to start teaching children how to write.

I see dozens of signatures every day. I'm always happy when I see people who still have a nice hand and take care to use it.

I think people who write regularly and well develop the ability to *eyeball* a measurement to within a reasonable margin. Neat handwriting is a good indicator of how people approach work.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

This all is made possible by the seamless integration of our hands into our cognitive system, making our manual skills an important part of our interaction with the environment and of our capacities for feeling, exploring, acting, planning, and learning. -- http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK299038/

The hand-brain connection is something deeply wired within us; when we attempt to sketch something we must observe it closely, gaining a feel through our fingers of how to bring it to life. Such practice can help you think in visual terms and free your mind from its constant verbalizations. To Leonardo da Vinci, drawing and thinking were synonymous. -- Robert Greene, Mastery

In short: Lucille's right. Everything is better by hand. Hand and mind are deeply, deeply connected. Doing things manually -- like writing in cursive -- develops you cognitively.

I reckon that people will not be able to write at all within 25 years or so.

Yay, technology.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I was thinking the same damn thing myself...

If my Mother and Grandmother were here and you told them you could not write cursive , and you were not a barbarian from the North ( Danke) they would feel sorry for you and bake something for you.Possibly even make you some little puppets to play with on the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    I reckon that people will not be able to write at all within 25 years or so.

Yay, technology.
    So,... will they be able to think?

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    So,... will they be able to think?
    The futurists will dismiss me as a reactionary Luddite, but my short answer is no.

In many ways that ability has been lost already.

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    LOL
    What's so funny? That time could have been spent learning something useful, like math, science, reading, etc..

Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    What's so funny? That time could have been spent learning something useful, like math, science, reading, etc..
    You are! LOL again.

Yet scientists are discovering that learning cursive is an important tool for cognitive development, particularly in training the brain to learn “functional specialization,”[2] that is capacity for optimal efficiency. In the case of learning cursive writing, the brain develops functional specialization that integrates both sensation, movement control, and thinking. Brain imaging studies reveal that multiple areas of brain become co-activated during learning of cursive writing of pseudo-letters, as opposed to typing or just visual practice.
    --Albert J. Nock

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast