Thread: World's Shortest Political Essay

World's Shortest Political Essay

From a while back, but I thought it made an excellent point.

World's Shortest Political Essay
    by L. Neil Smith
    lneil@netzero.com

Attribute to L. Neil Smith's The Libertarian Enterprise

As you listen to this year's ridiculous collection of Republican would-be Presidents, ask yourself a question: has a single one of them offered to repeal any of the laws and decrees Obama is responsible for? Has any one of them promised to cast off any of the power he has accrued?

If the answer is what I suspect, then what the hell is the point of voting for any of them? What's the frigging point of even having an election?

Celebrated and award-winning author of over 30 books and countless shorter pieces, L. Neil Smith is available, at professional rates, to write articles and speeches for you or your organization, providing that our principles are compatible. Contact him at lneil@netzero.com.

http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2015/tle849-20151129-06.html
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I was just talking about Smith's THE MORATORIUM today!

The more I've thought about that idea over the years, the clearer it has become to me that the indispensable first step toward restoring our freedom in this country, and, at the same time, the ultimate goal of any organization advocating freedom, should be a constitutional amendment forbidding any new legislation for at least that hundred years.

Let's just call it "THE MORATORIUM".

(For some time, now, I've intended to write a series of stories about the period in history following ratification of this amendment. The first of these stories, TimePeeper can currently be seen at www.BigHeadPress.com.)

At minimum, such an amendment would provide that, from the date of its passage forward, for a full century, no new legislation may be passed at any level of government—be it federal, state, county, municipal, or any other level—especially including rulings by the court system that, in effect, constitute new law, and treaties of any kind.

Nor may any new regulations be promulgated by any agency of the government.

The only exceptions would be bills of repeal, initiated referenda getting rid of old laws, rulings that declare existing legislation to be null and void, and the official disbandment, dissolution, or abolition of various arms, wings, legs, or other appendages of the government.

Perhaps I should have said, "amputation".

And because nothing political occurs in a vacuum and the opponents of this concept would be inclined to see the handwriting on the wall and attempt to make the most of whatever time they believed they had left, the amendment would automatically repeal any and all legislation rammed through in the final year (or two, or five, or ten) before its ratification.

Naturally, there would be draconian penalties for any violation of this new "highest law of the land". For a long while now, I've been interested in seeing the ancient federal prison on Alcatraz Island in San Francisco Bay fully rejuvenated and dedicated exclusively to the incarceration of government lawbreakers. I'm more than confident that tourists on excursion cruises (especially those individuals who had never "benefited" from indoctrination by the public school system) would pay a reasonable amount for small packages of meat with which to keep the bay's famous sharks interested in hanging around the prison island.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by Lucille View Post
    I was just talking about Smith's THE MORATORIUM today!

Another great one.
    Chris

"Government ... does not exist of necessity, but rather by virtue of a tragic, almost comical combination of klutzy, opportunistic terrorism against sitting ducks whom it pretends to shelter, plus our childish phobia of responsibility, praying to be exempted from the hard reality of life on life's terms." Wolf DeVoon

"...Make America Great Again. I'm interested in making American FREE again. Then the greatness will come automatically."Ron Paul

///
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by CCTelander View Post
    From a while back, but I thought it made an excellent point.

http://www.ncc-1776.org/tle2015/tle849-20151129-06.html
    Did anyone offer to repeal Obamacare?

I don't think it qualifies as an essay, but the shortest assessment would probably be... we're $#@!ed. Or even just good old-fashioned... $#@!.
    Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Mind your own business.

Keep your hands to yourself.