Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Charlotte Police Shooting and Aftermath

Charlotte Police Shooting and Aftermath

What We Know About the Charlotte Shooting

At a news conference this morning, Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts called Tuesday's shooting a "tragedy."

Here is how police say the shooting unfolded.

Shortly before 4 p.m. Tuesday, officers with the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police's Metro Division Crime Reduction Unit were searching an apartment complex for a suspect with an outstanding warrant.

"Officers observed a subject inside a vehicle in the apartment complex" and "the subject exited the vehicle armed with a firearm," the police said.

"Officers observed the subject get back into the vehicle at which time they began to approach the subject," the police said.

The shooting

Officers gave loud verbal commands telling him to get out, police said this morning. That's when Scott got out of the car with a handgun, police said.

Police said the man "posed an imminent deadly threat to the officers who subsequently fired their weapon striking the subject."

He was taken to a hospital where he was declared dead, police said.

Officers recovered a handgun "in close proximity" to Scott's body, police said.

Keith Scott, the victim

The victim was identified as 43-year-old Keith Lamont Scott.

Scott's family said he wasn't armed, ABC affiliate WSOC reported. The family said Scott had a book in his hand and was waiting for his son to be dropped off from school, WSOC said.

Police say a weapon was seized from the scene but no book was found.

The officer

The officer involved in the shooting was Brentley Vinson, who has worked for the Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Department for two years, the department said.

"As is standard procedure with any officer involved shooting, Officer Vinson has been placed on paid administrative leave," the department said.

The investigation

This morning, Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police Chief Kerr Putney said there is a lot of video from the scene, including body cameras from the officers who responded. Vinson was not wearing a body camera, he said.

Police said detectives were reviewing videos and interviewing witnesses as part of the investigation.

Putney said he has not seen all of the video at this point, but later added, "I don't know that [Scott] definitively pointed the weapon specifically towards an officer."

Putney said overnight that the outstanding warrants that prompted the officers' arrival were not specific to Scott, adding, "We don’t know if there is a connection of the deceased with the suspect we were looking for."

"At this point, all we know is there, in the apartment complex parking lot, this subject gets out with a weapon, they engage him and one of the officers felt a lethal threat and fired his weapon because of it," Putney said overnight.

The Internal Affairs Bureau is conducting "a separate but parallel investigation to determine whether CMPD policies and procedures were adhered to," the police said.

The riots

After Scott was shot, protesters took to the Charlotte streets overnight, shutting down Interstate 85. They opened up 18-wheelers, emptying the contents onto the highway and setting boxes on fire.

The police chief said this morning that officers heroically responded to the scene to help. Sixteen officers were injured and multiple vehicles were damaged, the police said. One person was arrested.
    http://abcnews.go.com/US/deadly-char...ry?id=42245158
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Heard the officer was black? If true, several articles in have read have conveniently omitted this fact while stating the race of the deceased multiple times.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno
    Tu ne cede malis sed contra audentior ito

Quote Originally Posted by puppetmaster View Post
    Heard the officer was black? If true, several articles in have read have conveniently omitted this fact while stating the race of the deceased multiple times.
    Of course. Have to make it a racial issue. Some articles do mention it in passing...

Police In North Carolina Fatally Shoot Black Man, Sparking Protests
    Protests erupted after the sixth killing of a civilian by Charlotte-Mecklenburg police in the past year.

Police in Charlotte, North Carolina, on Tuesday fatally shot a black man they said was armed as they searched for someone else, sparking violent protests that injured more than 12 officers. Witnesses said the man who was killed, Keith Lamont Scott, was unarmed.

“He exited the vehicle armed with a handgun,” Charlotte Police Chief Kerr Putney said in a news conference Tuesday. “The officers gave loud, clear verbal commands which were also heard by many of the witnesses.”

Police instructed Scott to drop the weapon, he said, but he re-entered his vehicle and exited again still holding the gun.

“He stepped out, posing a threat to the officers,” so one officer shot at him, Putney said. The officers immediately requested medical help, which performed CPR on the scene. Scott, 43, later succumbed to his injuries while in medical care.

Police identified the shooter as Officer Brentley Vinson, who has worked for the department since July 2014. Vinson is black.
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/...b0e80b1b9efd69
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

They mention the deceased was blake twice in the opening and probably in title and squeeze in the officers race at the end when many have stopped reading.
    "Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it."
    James Madison

"It does not take a majority to prevail ... but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men." - Samuel Adams

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

The officer wore blue. That's all that really matters.

Guys, if they didn't make it a racial issue, it wouldn't have made the news at all.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Guys, if they didn't make it a racial issue, it wouldn't have made the news at all.
    Good point. Do we really think we'd see athletes sitting during the pledge if it wasn't a racial thing? Hell no.

It's hard to bear, but perhaps the right things happen for the wrong reasons. People are protesting the police actions - would this happen if the stories were just about the color blue?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Good point. Do we really think we'd see athletes sitting during the pledge if it wasn't a racial thing? Hell no.

It's hard to bear, but perhaps the right things happen for the wrong reasons. People are protesting the police actions - would this happen if the stories were just about the color blue?
    Many of them are protesting "racists", not cops. I've talked to people like that in person. They fully support aggressive police action and tactics. It's just "the racists" they want punished.

What will be the result of these "protests" as in Charlotte (often better described as looting and destruction)? More spending, more government, more money for Police departments and probably a big grant to the SPLC to identify and list "the racists" that need to be punished.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, the whole point of a guy being shot by police for exiting his car with a book in his hand, isn't important- only that the press is telling us he was black.

Go figure.
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    So, the whole point of a guy being shot by police for exiting his car with a book in his hand, isn't important- only that the press is telling us he was black.

Go figure.
    Well, we don't know all the details in this case yet, and probably never will, but obviously Police tactics and itchy trigger fingers should be the main issue.

The people on TV don't share that opinion. They are going on and on about racism today, even when the officer in this case was black.

So yes, that is another topic worthy of discussion in addition to Police misconduct.

I agree with you on this one, Ender. I think making it a racial issue marginalizes the very people that need support. Somehow we have lost the ability to talk to each other. I don't like it that police are shooting first and asking questions later. That's just wrong. As law and order as I am, I would rather let a guilty person go free than to have one innocent person die. In this case, the police had a warrant for something else, and if they didn't execute the warrant, but executed this man, then shame on them.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Go figure.
    gun not book, you are mistaken. But you may beleive what the MSM tells you if you choose
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I agree with you on this one, Ender. I think making it a racial issue marginalizes the very people that need support. Somehow we have lost the ability to talk to each other. I don't like it that police are shooting first and asking questions later. That's just wrong. As law and order as I am, I would rather let a guilty person go free than to have one innocent person die. In this case, the police had a warrant for something else, and if they didn't execute the warrant, but executed this man, then shame on them.
    i guarantee you if I make a stop and the driver gets out with a gun he will be shot and it will be fatal . I will not let him point his gun at me first.
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

i guarantee you if I make a stop and the driver gets out with a gun he will be shot and it will be fatal . I will not let him point his gun at me first.
    And a prosecutor will decide if you need to be prosecuted. There will be only your word vs. that of witnesses. And your word won't stand as solid as that of a police officer vs. <anyone else>. You are not on Theyre team. Good luck.
    Was it a gun or a book? Who knows? If there is video then it needs to be released, immediately. It wouldn't be the first time a weapon or other evidence was planted to exonerate a boy in blue.

gun not book, you are mistaken. But you may beleive what the MSM tells you if you choose
    You're quoting the MSM too, buddy.

Officers recovered a handgun "in close proximity" to Scott's body, police said.
    How many times has a handgun "in close proximity" been planted by police?

Scott's family said he wasn't armed, ABC affiliate WSOC reported. The family said Scott had a book in his hand and was waiting for his son to be dropped off from school, WSOC said.
    Maybe it was a gun but from most of the police shootings in recent history, I'm betting he didn't.
    There is no spoon.

You're quoting the MSM too, buddy.

How many times has a handgun "in close proximity" been planted by police?

Maybe it was a gun but from most of the police shootings in recent history, I'm betting he didn't.
    yes I am. Quoting them as liars and spin artists. You quote them like the gospel. Next thing it will be a bible he was holding right next to the "drop gun"
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    And a prosecutor will decide if you need to be prosecuted. There will be only your word vs. that of witnesses. And your word won't stand as solid as that of a police officer vs. <anyone else>. You are not on Theyre team. Good luck.
    Correction... generally the prosecutor will not decide if you need to be prosecuted.
    If you shoot someone, you can bet the whole farm that you're getting prosecuted.
    I wouldn't, though, because you're going to need to sell the farm to afford the legal fees to stay out of prison.

There are two official reactions. Wearing a blue uniform means the reaction is to pretend like nothing happened, unless people with torches and pitchforks show up outside the precinct, at which point a grand jury will be convened and instructed not to bring charges.

Not wearing a uniform means your life as you knew it is over, your savings are gone, you'll be taking charity from friends and family to feed your kids, and the only hope you have left is keeping your sphincter its current size.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

The presence of a gun in and of itself is no justification for the Police to shoot someone. There is a Second Amendment, and every citizen has the right to bear arms. Now there are certainly other factors that might make shooting at a suspect acceptable and mandatory.

The NY/NJ bomber, Ahmad Rahami, is a prime example. A suspected killer, who pulled out a gun and started firing. No doubts there whatsoever.

On the other hand, when several officers shout contradictory commands and shoot a person all in a matter of 5 seconds, that is a major problem, even if that person is wearing a side arm or even holding it in their hand when the Police come upon them. Tamir Rice, Andy Lopez and Erik Scott are examples of unjustified killings.

Now what will the media focus on? The rights of citizens to bear arms? No (unless they want to push the gun-banning agenda). The use of military tactics and training for street cops? No. Patrolling America as if it's Kabul or Baghdad? No.

But they will focus on racism, because it fits their Alinsky agitprop agenda, even if it's a white cop shooting a white person, a black cop shooting a black person, or a Hispanic cop shooting an Asian.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    Correction... generally the prosecutor will not decide if you need to be prosecuted.
    If you shoot someone, you can bet the whole farm that you're getting prosecuted.
    I wouldn't, though, because you're going to need to sell the farm to afford the legal fees to stay out of prison.

There are two official reactions. Wearing a blue uniform means the reaction is to pretend like nothing happened, unless people with torches and pitchforks show up outside the precinct, at which point a grand jury will be convened and instructed not to bring charges.

Not wearing a uniform means your life as you knew it is over, your savings are gone, you'll be taking charity from friends and family to feed your kids, and the only hope you have left is keeping your sphincter its current size.
    Depends, I have known some that were not prosecuted. But, I understand your sentiment, and for the most part you are correct. You had better have all your ducks in a row from the get go. Civilian R.O.E. are much more limiting than a simple "feared for life" hero-in-blue defense.

Erik Scott? Keith Scott? Hmmm.

Edit: And Walter Scott...
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-21-2016 at 04:28 PM.

Making it about race won't solve the problem. Making it about the police and bad judgement, will.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Was it a gun or a book? Who knows? If there is video then it needs to be released, immediately. It wouldn't be the first time a weapon or other evidence was planted to exonerate a boy in blue.
    i was putting myself in the position of law enforcement in this scenario. I understand officers words usually carry more weight in court. Also won't be the first time "witnesses" lie or have recollections that are untrue.
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

yes I am. Quoting them as liars and spin artists. You quote them like the gospel. Next thing it will be a bible he was holding right next to the "drop gun"
    I rarely quote the MSM as believable.

YOU believe their spin on him having a gun- I am suspicious.
    There is no spoon.

I rarely quote the MSM as believable.

YOU believe their spin on him having a gun- I am suspicious.
    "Their spin" as in the officers account?...yeah I beleive him until proof otherwise. Suspicious of me or the officer?
    James Madison

Μολὼν λάβε
    Dum Spiro, Pugno

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brian4Liberty View Post
    Erik Scott? Keith Scott? Hmmm.

Edit: And Walter Scott...
    #ScottLivesMatter

"Their spin" as in the officers account?...yeah I beleive him until proof otherwise. Suspicious of me or the officer?
    Not you- we don't always agree but you're cool.

The po-pos are suspicious IMHPOV.
    There is no spoon.

Well, then, you would be a murderer plain and simple. If someone holding a gun, and not aiming it at anyone, is worthy of summary judgment and execution, then I guess 3/4 of the people in here are just awaiting their death sentence.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

The officer wore blue. That's all that really matters.
    I so wish people would stop focusing on white/black, it's as it always has been about the have vs the have nots...

#ScottLivesMatter
    Yet another Scott killed by Police. Antronie Scott.

Hmmm... It's a war on the Scotts. #ErikScott #WalterScott #AntronieScott #KeithScott #DevinScott #JoshuaScott #ScottLivesMatter
    Last edited by Brian4Liberty; 09-21-2016 at 05:59 PM.

Yet another Scott killed by Police. Antronie Scott.
    All for the lovely WoD.
    There is no spoon.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast