Thread: Groundbreaking Study Finds Turmeric Extract Superior to Prozac for Depression

Groundbreaking Study Finds Turmeric Extract Superior to Prozac for Depression

Groundbreaking Study Finds Turmeric Extract Superior to Prozac for Depression

By: Sayer Ji

A new study published in the journal Phytotherapy Research has confirmed for the first time in a randomized, controlled clinical trial that the primary polyphenol in turmeric known as curcumin is both safe and effective in treating serious states of depression.[1]

The research was performed at the Department of Pharmacology, Government Medical College, Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India, and involved patients diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD). The objective of the trial was to compare the efficacy and safety of curcumin with fluoxetine (Prozac) in 60 patients diagnosed with MDD. Subjects were randomized to receive either a six week treatment with fluoxetine (20 mg) and curcumin (1000 mg) individually or their combination.

Success of the treatment was evaluated using the 17-item Hamilton Depression Rating Scale (HAM-D17). The results were reported as follows:

We observed that curcumin was well tolerated by all the patients. The proportion of responders as measured by the HAM-D17 scale was higher in the combination group (77.8%) than in the fluoxetine [Prozac] (64.7%) and the curcumin (62.5%) groups; however, these data were not statistically significant (P = 0.58). Interestingly, the mean change in HAM-D17 score at the end of six weeks was comparable in all three groups (P = 0.77). This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders. [emphasis added]

If the results of this relatively small trial are applicable to a wider population, this is truly groundbreaking news. There was already a rather sizable body of preclinical research indicating that curcumin is an effective antidepressant in the animal model,[2] but this was not enough to sway most physicians who practice so-called "evidence based medicine" into actually suggesting it to patients as a Prozac or antidepressant alternative. And this is understandable, as the lack of solid human clinical evidence supporting the use of a natural substance is no small matter from a legal-regulatory perspective. Unless a substance has passed through the approximately 800 million dollar financial gauntlet of phase I, II, and III clinical trials required to apply for FDA drug approval, and has actually received that approval, there is scant legal protection for those who use natural medicines to prevent or treat disease and who might face a lawsuit, frivolous or genuine, as a result of a claim of injury.

http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/gro...zac-depression
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Interesting, but where in this study does it prove that Tumeric extract is superior to Prozac for depression?
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Quote Originally Posted by TER View Post
    Interesting, but where in this study does it prove that Tumeric extract is superior to Prozac for depression?

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23832433
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

The proportion of responders as measured by the HAM-D17 scale was higher in the combination group (77.8%) than in the fluoxetine (64.7%) and the curcumin (62.5%) groups; however, these data were not statistically significant (P = 0.58).

Maybe you can ask her again.

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    The proportion of responders as measured by the HAM-D17 scale was higher in the combination group (77.8%) than in the fluoxetine (64.7%) and the curcumin (62.5%) groups; however, these data were not statistically significant (P = 0.58).

Maybe you can ask her again.

This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders. .

This study provides first clinical evidence that curcumin may be used as an effective and safe modality for treatment in patients with MDD without concurrent suicidal ideation or other psychotic disorders. .
    Ah. Superior is indeed a subjective word. That should have been my first clue.

Here's another more recent study, involving a double-blind placebo vs Curcumin that also yielded positive results. Too bad that you do not believe in science.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25046624

I take a couple of 500mg, 95% Curcuminoids, Turmeric with Black Pepper caps per day. I figure they go with the Glucosime/MSM/Boswellia joint health, anti inflammatory. It's done wonders for my shoulder.
    Quote Originally Posted by Swordsmyth View Post
    You only show up to attack Trump when he is wrong
    Make America the Land of the Free & the Home of the Brave again

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Similarly, antidepressant activity of curcumin has been reported in animal models of depression. Recently, research on exploring antidepressant properties of curcumin is exponentially increasing (fig. 2). The molecule is effective in forced swim test and chronic unpredictable stress[7,8]. Curcumin possess antidepressant activity through modulating the release of serotonin and dopamine. Curcumin enhances the level of neurotrophic factors such as brain derived neurotrophic factor (BDNF)[9].
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2929771/

Curcumin For Depression: Mechanisms of Action

Administration of curcumin is believed to treat depression via host of mechanisms. It is unclear as to whether one particular mechanism is responsible for the bulk of its antidepressant properties, or as to whether a blend of its neurophysiologic effects facilitate the antidepressant response. It could be hypothesized that mechanisms responsible for the greatest antidepressant effects may vary based on the principal neurophysiologic cause of an individual’s depressive symptoms. Included below is a list of possible ways by which curcumin supplementation may improve one’s mood.

BDNF increase: Studies have shown that curcumin can increase BDNF levels in animal models. Low brain-derived neurotrophic factor is believed to cause a host of neurological disorders, including major depression. Individuals (and animals with depression) tend to exhibit abnormally low BDNF. An increase in BDNF is believed to improve mental health, wellbeing, and mood.

Another notable effect of increased BDNF is that it stimulates growth of new neurons in the hippocampus (via neurogenesis). Neurogenesis may be one of the mechanisms by which curcumin ameliorates depressive symptoms.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/17022948
    More references:
    http://mentalhealthdaily.com/2015/12...ive-treatment/
    http://www.naturalmedicinejournal.co...lve-depression

I think it is wonderful and exciting the Tumeric may aid in the treatment of depression. I haven't studied the research close enough to know if it truly does, but the abstracts you have presented seem interesting. My question has to do with why the title of the thread states that it is superior to Prozac, when the results which are provided do not demonstrate that. (?)
    +

I think it is wonderful and exciting the Tumeric may aid in the treatment of depression. I haven't studied the research close enough to know if it truly does, but the abstracts you have presented seem interesting. My question has to do with why the title of the thread states that it is superior to Prozac, when the results which are provided do not demonstrate that. (?)
    There are no known side effects to taking Turmeric, that is what makes it superior. Look at the side effects to Prozac and other anti-depressants.

Here is the website database on related articles and studies: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/guide/health-guide-turmeric

There are no known side effects to taking Turmeric, that is what makes it superior. Look at the side effects to Prozac and other anti-depressants.

Here is the website database on related articles and studies: http://www.greenmedinfo.com/guide/health-guide-turmeric
    I see. Thank you.
    +

If only there was an herb to keep people from reposting the same information repeatedly.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ing-depression

"Researchers with the Department of Pharmacology of Government Medical College in Bhavnagar, Gujarat, India compared the effects of turmeric and Prozac (fluoxetine), both used together and individually, in 60 patients diagnosed with major depressive disorder (MDD)."

Quote Originally Posted by angelatc View Post
    If only there was an herb to keep people from reposting the same information repeatedly.

http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...ing-depression
    I hear they have vaccines for that.

I hear they have vaccines for that.
    MMR for a start.
    I am the spoon.