Thread: Pot Breathalyzer Hits the Street

Pot Breathalyzer Hits the Street

http://www.usnews.com/news/articles/...its-the-street

American police have for the first time used a marijuana breathalyzer to evaluate impaired drivers, the company behind the pioneering device declared Tuesday, saying it separately confirmed its breath test can detect recent consumption of marijuana-infused food.

The two apparent firsts allow Hound Labs to move forward with plans to widely distribute its technology to law enforcement in the first half of next year, says CEO Mike Lynn.

Lynn, an emergency room doctor in Oakland, California, also is a reserve officer with the Alameda County Sheriff’s Office and he helped pull over drivers in the initial field tests, none of whom were arrested after voluntarily breathing into the handheld contraption.

Two people admitted smoking marijuana within the past 30 minutes, Lynn says, and in a satisfying validation for his technology -- created with University of California chemistry assistance -- their readouts were much higher than the rest.

Other drivers, he says, admitted to smoking marijuana within the two-to-three-hour window that the device appears able to detect the high-inducing compound THC (tetrahydrocannabinol) on a smoker's breath, and the test confirmed it.

“Basically everyone agreed because they were curious,” Lynn says. “We were not trying to arrest people. ... Sure, we could arrest people and people are arrested every day for driving stoned, but the objective was not to put people in jail but to educate them and use the device if they volunteered so we could get the data."
    Initial field tests of a marijuana breathalyzer have been successful, says Hound Labs CEO Mike Lynn.

The technology, if all goes according to plan, will be welcomed by both sides of the pot legalization debate, those who fear drugged drivers and reformers outraged that pot users in some jurisdictions are subjectively detained and forced to undergo blood tests that don't prove impairment, especially in frequent users.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    This so so stupid. It is fat soluble and can be in the blood even well after "intoxication" ends. More state control over the slaves/citizens and more stupid laws and horrible outcomes. I hope this fails as it is the dumbest $#@!ing thing ever.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

um Kotin.. read the article
    the issues with it remaining in the blood is what this is designed to fix
    it only detects recent use

Sad day...........

ok seriously read the rest of the article
    it only detects use within the last few hours
    it detects edible use
    I personally think being a little high makes you a better driver
    and if you are to high to drive you cannot be pried off the couch with a crowbar
    but this is better than being charged with impairment for smoking two days ago under a blood test

Quote Originally Posted by CaseyJones View Post
    it detects edible use
    and if you are to high to drive you cannot be pried off the couch with a crowbar
    but this is better than being charged with impairment for smoking two days ago under a blood test

It still sets a standard of use or too much use as a blanket one-size for all people which is retarded. Some people can't handle any weed at all and some can smoke a totem pole.. Some people also have tolerance.. This is a bad idea. Gives cops more control and makes cannabis use seem much more simplified than it actually is
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    It still sets a standard of use or too much use as a blanket one-size for all people which is retarded. Some people can't handle any weed at all and some can smoke a totem pole.. Some people also have tolerance.. This is a bad idea. Gives cops more control and makes cannabis use seem much more simplified than it actually is
    they are govt
    they will set their arbitrary numbers
    same with alcohol
    I have seen jdmypres drink a case of beer with no effect
    yet he would have gotten a DUI I am sure if he had drove
    at least with this device it gives an accurate reading of recent usage
    you know I am against the whole concept

it detects edible use
    Well, they already have a mouth swab that usually doesn't test positive for use outside of the last 24 hours.

they are govt
    they will set their arbitrary numbers
    same with alcohol
    I have seen jdmypres drink a case of beer with no effect
    yet he would have gotten a DUI I am sure if he had drove
    at least with this device it gives an accurate reading of recent usage
    you know I am against the whole concept
    Yeah man I know.. Ugh I just hate $#@! like this..

hell man I grew up in texas
    'till I was 20 you could drink and drive legally
    as long as you were maintaining

I'm gonna have to up my use of edibles.

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    I'm gonna have to up my use of edibles.
    sigh
    again it detects edibles
    ffs

sigh
    again it detects edibles
    ffs
    lol, I must admit, I didn't read much past the headlines, as I'm too busy hitting the vape

Don't believe it works (for other than intimidation).

And the Lawyers are going to have a field day. it won't hold up past the first serious court case.
    Like exhaled alcohol the THC in breath leaves the bloodstream through the lungs, Lynn says.
    bull$#@!
    Last edited by pcosmar; 09-13-2016 at 09:47 PM.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Very true..
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."