Thread: Sugar Industry Bought Off Scientists, Skewed Dietary Guidelines For Decades

Sugar Industry Bought Off Scientists, Skewed Dietary Guidelines For Decades

https://science.slashdot.org/story/1...es-for-decades

Back in the 1960s, a sugar industry executive wrote fat checks to a group of Harvard researchers so that they'd downplay the links between sugar and heart disease in a prominent medical journal -- and the researchers did it, according to historical documents reported Monday in the journal JAMA Internal Medicine. One of those Harvard researchers went on to become the head of nutrition at the United States Department of Agriculture, where he set the stage for the federal government's current dietary guidelines. All in all, the corrupted researchers and skewed scientific literature successfully helped draw attention away from the health risks of sweets and shift the blame to solely to fats -- for nearly five decades. The low-fat, high-sugar diets that health experts subsequently encouraged are now seen as a main driver of the current obesity epidemic. The bitter revelations come from archived documents from the Sugar Research Foundation (now the Sugar Association), dug up by researchers at the University of California, San Francisco. Their dive into the old, sour affair highlights both the perils of trusting industry-sponsored research to inform policy and the importance of requiring scientists to disclose conflicts of interest -- something that didn't become the norm until years later. Perhaps most strikingly, it spotlights the concerning power of the sugar industry. In a statement also issued today, the Sugar Association acknowledged that it "should have exercised greater transparency in all of its research activities." However, the trade-group went on to question the UCSF researchers' motives in digging up the issue and reframing the past events to "conveniently align with the currently trending anti-sugar narrative." The association also chastised the journal for publishing the historical analysis, which it implied was insignificant and sensationalist. "Most concerning is the growing use of headline-baiting articles to trump quality scientific research -- we're disappointed to see a journal of JAMA's stature being drawn into this trend," the association wrote. But scientists disagree with that take. In an accompanying editorial, nutrition professor Marion Nestle of New York University argued that "this 50-year-old incident may seem like ancient history, but it is quite relevant, not least because it answers some questions germane to our current era."
    I got just 3 words for ya: NO $#@!!

Ok, so I failed math! I went to public school! What did you expect?
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    We're like the most obese, diabetic, prescription taking mofos on the planet over here in the U.S.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-13-2016 at 02:49 AM.

Whenever I see the "food pyramid" I simply view it as a graphical ranking of food industry lobbyists.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post
    Whenever I see the "food pyramid" I simply view it as a graphical ranking of food industry lobbyists.
    More like the Devil's Triangle, to me.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Bruehound View Post
    Only thing wrong with the food pyramid is they didn't put animal products high enough (which means people should eat less of them).

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    We're like the most obese, diabetic, prescription taking mofos on the planet over here in the U.S.
    Here's how to remedy that:

What Fruit, White Rice, & Sugar Do To Your Body
    http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...our-Body-CRAZY

I was really amazed to see this story in the New York Times yesterday.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Word of caution. One of the scientists who's involved with this is aligned with low-carb crusader Gary Taubes.

Sugar Industry and Coronary Heart Disease ResearchA Historical Analysis of Internal Industry Documents
    Cristin E. Kearns, DDS, MBA1,2; Laura A. Schmidt, PhD, MSW, MPH1,3,4; Stanton A. Glantz, PhD1,5,6,7,8

https://archinte.jamanetwork.com/art...icleid=2548255
    Big Sugar's Sweet Little Lies
    How the industry kept scientists from asking: Does sugar kill?

Gary Taubes and Cristin Kearns Couzens November/December 2012 Issue

http://www.motherjones.com/environme...ampaign?page=1

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It's weird, but every time I read about how fat we are, and "sugar", and the "industry", it just makes me want some pop.
    When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble?
    When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? Amos 3:6

HAHA... Always someone to blame.

A government elected by the people is for the people. We must have more regulation and government control over this. There needs to be an occupy movement to address this government bowel movement... /s

Hug the environment by filling up your car with ethanol... Never mind how much fossil fuel is required to create the ethanol - you might kill your buzz.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

I love sugar, but eating it is the worst things you can do to your body. Once you go a couple weeks without it, it's actually pretty easy to stay away from it. Other than sugar I eat whatever I want, and my health is perfect.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by misterx View Post
    I love sugar, but eating it is the worst things you can do to your body. Once you go a couple weeks without it, it's actually pretty easy to stay away from it. Other than sugar I eat whatever I want, and my health is perfect.
    i have to agree.. my first experience was years ago when I figured by avoiding sugar(white sugar) all day I wouldnt have any energy.. turned out I had more energy from not eating sugar... of course normally id be one for a sweet tooth... that was along time ago almost 30 yrs... but i think its similarly good to limit as much enriched products as possible too, white rice, white pasta etc... just eat whole grain versions.