Thread: Edward Snowden attacks Russia over human rights and hacking

Edward Snowden attacks Russia over human rights and hacking

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...edward-snowden

The US whistleblower Edward Snowden has attacked his Russian protectors by criticising the Kremlin’s human rights record and suggesting that its officials have been involved in hacks on US security networks.

His outburst came in an interview in the Financial Times with Alan Rusbridger, the former editor of the Guardian, which published the initial Snowden revelations. Snowden said Moscow had “gone very far, in ways that are completely unnecessary, costly and corrosive to individual and collective rights” in monitoring citizens online.

He described last month’s leak of top-secret National Security Agency espionage tools as an implicit threat to the US government, potentially by Russia.

Snowden, 33, a former CIA contractor, has been living in a secret location in Russia since he fled the US via Hong Kong in 2013, carrying thousands of classified documents that revealed the widespread nature of the NSA’s electronic surveillance programme. He faces up to 30 years in prison in the US on charges of espionage and theft of government property.

However, his lawyers hope to secure a presidential pardon before Barack Obama leaves office in January, and commentators have noted that Snowden has made several attacks on his hosts in the build-up to his bid for a pardon.

In July, it was reported that Snowden had posted a string of messages to his 2 million Twitter followers, in which he described recent Russian legislation criminalising support for terrorism on the internet as unworkable.

“Mass surveillance doesn’t work. This bill will take money and liberty from every Russian without improving safety. It should not be signed,” he tweeted. “Duma member says most representatives were against Big Brother law, but voted ‘yes’ out of fear.”

Some critics have claimed that this is a bid by Snowden to keep himself in some favour with the White House. In the FT interview, he said: “I can’t fix the human rights situation in Russia, and realistically my priority is to fix my own country first, because that’s the one to which I owe the greatest loyalty.

“But though the chances are it will make no difference, maybe it’ll help. We are living through a crisis in computer security, the like of which we have never seen. But until we solve the fundamental problem, which is that our policy incentivises offence to a greater degree than defence, hacks will continue unpredictably and they will have increasingly larger effects and impacts.”

His comments came as the actor Zachary Quinto has called for Snowden to be allowed to return to the US without facing espionage charges. The Star Trek actor, who plays the journalist Glenn Greenwald in the Stone biopic, said Snowden had acted with “great courage” and it was “absurd” to brand him a “treasonist” while he remained in exile in Russia.

Speaking at the film’s premiere in Toronto, Quinto – known for his role as Spock in the rebooted Star Trek films – told the Press Association: “I do think [Snowden] should be able to come back [to the US]. I think it’s a very complicated issue in terms of how that would happen.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    He's ballsy. A Trump presidency pretty much insures that if he comes home it will be in chains directly to a firing squad.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    He's ballsy. A Trump presidency pretty much insures that if he comes home it will be in chains directly to a firing squad.
    Hillary to.

Edward Snowden sometimes reminds me of a mole. Dont attack the hands that feed you. Or given u a job.

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Hillary to.
    Well, I haven't heard Hillary calling for death by firing squad. But in chains? Definitely.

Last edited by goldenequity; 09-10-2016 at 07:12 PM.

From July: http://www.independent.co.uk/news/pe...-a7127311.html

Edward Snowden says it's a 'dark day' in Russia after Vladimir Putin introduces draconian new surveillance laws

'Putin has signed a repressive new law that violates not only human rights, but common sense'

Whistleblower and press freedom activist Edward Snowden has condemned a new law signed on Thursday by Vladimir Putin, saying it's a “dark day for Russia”.

The new anti-terror legislation forces telephone carriers and internet providers to store the private communications of their customers – and turn them over to the government on request.

“Putin has signed a repressive new law that violates not only human rights, but common sense. Dark day for Russia,” he wrote on Twitter.

Mr Snowden is a former employee of the US National Security Agency (NSA) who exposed global surveillance programmes in 2013 through a leak of classified NSA documents.

The whistleblower joined Twitter in September and has more than 2.2 million followers. However, he only follows one account on the social network – that of the NSA.

Russian communication providers may have to spend more than $30 billion to implement the new laws, Mr Snowden added in a second tweet.

“Signing the Big Brother law must be condemned. Beyond political and constitution consequences, it is also a $33b+ tax on Russia's internet,” he wrote.

The communication companies will have to keep a record of their users’ calls, text messages, photos, and internet activity for six months, and store ‘metadata’ for three years, according to the International Business Times.

And messaging services that use digital encryption, such as WhatsApp, Viber and Telegram, could face fines of thousands of pounds if they continue to operate in Russia without handing over their encryption key to the government.

“Even the Soviet Union did not have such an overwhelmingly repressive legislation,” Russian politician and businessman Gennady Gudkov told the Los Angeles Times.

“This is 100 percent a step toward an Iron Curtain.”

The new legislation, which makes “failure to report a crime” a criminal offence, comes into force on 20 July.
    See something, say something.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenequity View Post

WHOA.

Didn't realize Joseph Gordon-Levitt was playing Snowden- AWESOME!
    There is no spoon.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    My search engine has been running a static ad of this movie down in the corner of the search results pages.

Meh.

The manner of disclosure adopted by Lord Greenwald & Friends, a model of a polite, rules-abiding challenge to authority, has stopped exactly nothing. To the contrary, the primary effect of the disclosures has been to normalize increasingly pervasive, all-encompassing surveillance, and even to make it "legal." The title of my first article was, "In Praise of Mess, Chaos and Panic" -- qualities which Greenwald & Friends obviously detest. That's only to be expected: it's impossible to become celebrated, powerful and wealthy if your goal is the fundamental disruption -- and ultimately, the dissolution -- of the very system that bestows fame, power and money.
    [...]
    And the manner of disclosure chosen by Greenwald & Friends is most decidedly not lessening the crimes of the Surveillance State. As noted above (and detailed in several of my articles, such as this one), the final effect of the Snowden leak will only be the normalization and legalization of surveillance on a vast scale.
    Arthur Silber: Prophet

And since Zippy's posting it, I'm even more convinced Snowden's still a spook.
    Last edited by Lucille; 09-10-2016 at 10:26 PM.
    Based on the idea of natural rights, government secures those rights to the individual by strictly negative intervention, making justice costless and easy of access; and beyond that it does not go. The State, on the other hand, both in its genesis and by its primary intention, is purely anti-social. It is not based on the idea of natural rights, but on the idea that the individual has no rights except those that the State may provisionally grant him. It has always made justice costly and difficult of access, and has invariably held itself above justice and common morality whenever it could advantage itself by so doing.
    --Albert J. Nock

Quote Originally Posted by AngryCanadian View Post
    Edward Snowden sometimes reminds me of a mole. Dont attack the hands that feed you. Or given u a job.
    Kind of like the random Canadian that shows up on American political forums. Criticizing other countries politics while ignoring the $hit hole politics of their own country. Mind your own business. It's the libertarian way dumb dumb.
    A sense of danger gives birth to fear. And fear is the time-honored cross for the crucifixion of liberty.