Thread: Megachurches Are Becoming More Mega

Exclamation Megachurches Are Becoming More Mega

Research: Megachurches Are Becoming More Mega

http://www.relevantmagazine.com/slic...ming-more-mega

According to new research from the group Church Growth Today, America’s megachurches are getting even bigger. Founder John Vaughan began studying churches in the mid-‘80s when there were just 27 non-Catholic churches around the world that drew at least 6,000 people per week. Only 11 of those were in the U.S. Since then, the megachurch phenomenon has exploded—especially among evangelicals—and today there are more than 200 6,000+ non-Catholic churches across the country.

And, not only has the number of megachurches grown, so has attendance among the most mega. From 2000 - 2010, the 100 largest churches in the U.S. doubled in size. Currently, every weekend across the U.S. 1.6 million attend one of the country’s 100 biggest megachurches. 1.6 million.

The largest remains Lakewood Church in Houston, pastored by Joel Osteen, which alone, brings in more than 52,000 every weekend. (Though, the multi-site church Life.Church draws 70,000 in locations across seven different states.) According to the research, these churches are, for the most part, continuing to grow. The group wrote, “This newest research indicates that among the 100 largest churches 60 percent are growing, 20 percent have plateaued, and only 11 percent have decreased in attendance during the past five years.”
    “It is not true that all creeds and cultures are equally assimilable in a First World nation born of England, Christianity, and Western civilization. Race, faith, ethnicity and history leave genetic fingerprints no ‘proposition nation’ can erase." -- Pat Buchanan

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I wonder if these megachurches are actually preaching the Gospel. Some of these pastors have megamansions, helicopter pads, and a car for every day of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    I wonder if these megachurches are actually preaching the Gospel.
    The Gospel of Prosperity.

I wonder if these megachurches are actually preaching the Gospel. Some of these pastors have megamansions, helicopter pads, and a car for every day of the week.
    Indeed. I hope some of these clergy realize that judgment will begin with them.

1 Peter 4:17
    For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post

For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God?
    QFT
    +
    'These things I command you, that you love one another.' - Jesus Christ

Mm hm. Problem is that some of these clergy tend to always think it's gonna be the other guy that'll have to answer and not them.

+rep
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Be the head of some poor struggling church and be considered a saint. Head a mega multi-billion dollar church and be damned.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Mm hm. Problem is that some of these clergy tend to always think it's gonna be the other guy that'll have to answer and not them.
    To their peril unfortunately. All of us will be judged, individually on our works. That's all we take when we leave this world, is our works.

1 John 2:15-17 (KJV)
    15 Love not the world, neither the things that are in the world. If any man love the world, the love of the Father is not in him.

16 For all that is in the world, the lust of the flesh, and the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life, is not of the Father, but is of the world.

17 And the world passeth away, and the lust thereof: but he that doeth the will of God abideth for ever.

Ephesians 6:12 (KJV)
    12 For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Matthew 10:28 (KJV)
    28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by Schifference View Post
    Be the head of some poor struggling church and be considered a saint. Head a mega multi-billion dollar church and be damned.

Mark 10:25 (KJV)
    25 It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Matthew 19:24 (KJV)
    24 And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Luke 16:19-31King James Version (KJV)
    19 There was a certain rich man, which was clothed in purple and fine linen, and fared sumptuously every day:

20 And there was a certain beggar named Lazarus, which was laid at his gate, full of sores,

21 And desiring to be fed with the crumbs which fell from the rich man's table: moreover the dogs came and licked his sores.

22 And it came to pass, that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels into Abraham's bosom: the rich man also died, and was buried;

23 And in hell he lift up his eyes, being in torments, and seeth Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.

24 And he cried and said, Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus, that he may dip the tip of his finger in water, and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.

25 But Abraham said, Son, remember that thou in thy lifetime receivedst thy good things, and likewise Lazarus evil things: but now he is comforted, and thou art tormented.

26 And beside all this, between us and you there is a great gulf fixed: so that they which would pass from hence to you cannot; neither can they pass to us, that would come from thence.

27 Then he said, I pray thee therefore, father, that thou wouldest send him to my father's house:

28 For I have five brethren; that he may testify unto them, lest they also come into this place of torment.

29 Abraham saith unto him, They have Moses and the prophets; let them hear them.

30 And he said, Nay, father Abraham: but if one went unto them from the dead, they will repent.

31 And he said unto him, If they hear not Moses and the prophets, neither will they be persuaded, though one rose from the dead.

Quote Originally Posted by RJB View Post
    The Gospel of Prosperity.
    And there is truth in it.

but even truth can be twisted and distorted. and misused.
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Maybe on Sunday mornings we can use football stadiums as churches
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Quote Originally Posted by pcosmar View Post
    And there is truth in it.

but even truth can be twisted and distorted. and misused.
    So true. The Gospel promises a cross, but through the cross and by the cross, we find divine and eternal life. This is true prosperity, in the Kingdom, which awaits those persevere.
    +

From Matthew 20:
    25But Jesus called them aside and said, “You know that the rulers of the Gentiles lord it over them, and their superiors exercise authority over them. 26It shall not be this way among you. Instead, whoever wants to become great among you must be your servant, 27and whoever wants to be first among you must be your slave
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

"The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests, and the skulls of bishops are its signposts."

Attributed to various saints
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Quote Originally Posted by fisharmor View Post
    "The road to hell is paved with the skulls of priests, and the skulls of bishops are its signposts."

Attributed to various saints
    Most notably, St. John Chrysostom.

Those who take people's trust and misuse it will suffer greatly.
    +

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    It shall not be this way among you.
    please check yourself.
    before you wreck yourself
    Liberty is lost through complacency and a subservient mindset. When we accept or even welcome automobile checkpoints, random searches, mandatory identification cards, and paramilitary police in our streets, we have lost a vital part of our American heritage. America was born of protest, revolution, and mistrust of government. Subservient societies neither maintain nor deserve freedom for long.
    Ron Paul 2004

Registered Ron Paul supporter # 2202
    It's all about Freedom

Heresy is both profitable and popular, I fear.

You'd prefer these money-grubbing charlatans who promote this country's corrupt government to see eternal paradise and for the poor to burn, maybe?
    Last edited by hells_unicorn; 09-10-2016 at 02:38 PM.

I like this one...

Let me guess, they still qualify as 501(c)(3) when it comes to tax-exempt status?

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Let me guess, they still qualify as 501(c)(3) when it comes to tax-exempt status?
    You can bank on it. We live in such deceptive times.

That tax exemption literally strips them from their first amendment.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Of course they do, how else would Osteen keep that ridiculous "I'm screwing you and loving it" smile on his face every time he goes to his pulpit?

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Two football stadiums will fit into Bristol Speedway .

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    We've been doing that for decades, football is more important to Americans that Christianity anyway. How many times have you spoken to some zombie spew out sports statistics yet can't name the four Gospel authors? In my case, more than I care to say.