Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why you should be eating moar fat

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Of course healthy fats are good, to an extent, but if you're buying the "eat up the saturated fats!" bullhockey, then I think you're hearing what your itching ears want to hear.

Keep in mind that many big businesses (meat, dairy, etc) are fighting like hell to keep people buying their products, and anyone can put out a "study" that says anything they want it to, it doesn't mean it's true.
    The "study" has been misread by many people. It said that lower saturated fats were not necessarily better for you than saturated fats. It did not say saturated fats were good for you and it was OK to load up on them. Everything in moderation. Including fats.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    Of course healthy fats are good, to an extent, but if you're buying the "eat up the saturated fats!" bullhockey, then I think you're hearing what your itching ears want to hear.

Keep in mind that many big businesses (meat, dairy, etc) are fighting like hell to keep people buying their products, and anyone can put out a "study" that says anything they want it to, it doesn't mean it's true.
    You think wrong. I chose a high-fat/high protein/high veggie diet because I'm very active. It supports my lifestyle. I learned it from coaches and trainers before it was trendy. It $#@!ing WORKS. Science and experience trumps bull$#@! put out by militant vegans and Big Agra (whose lobby exercises massive control over FDA and the faux science published in MSM) for me any day.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    You think wrong. I chose a high-fat/high protein/high veggie diet because I'm very active. It supports my lifestyle. I learned it from coaches and trainers before it was trendy. It $#@!ing WORKS. Science and experience trumps bull$#@! put out by militant vegans and Big Agra (whose lobby exercises massive control over FDA and the faux science published in MSM) for me any day.
    I find it amusing when these people try to tell me that what my body is telling me is wrong. The bonus is that I don't really give a $#@! what they think. "It $#@!ing WORKS." All their videos and internet posting can't eliminate the actual real life results I and others important to me have experienced.

It's not science that's on your side, it's the industries that want to stay in business, because more and more people are waking up and eating less meat and dairy.

For example, the overwhelming majority of "studies" on cholesterol were funded by industries, mainly the egg industry.

The same goes for most of these "itching ears" studies that make people think it's OK to continue eating crap. Which of course makes many people happy.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

One paragraph from the OP:

Saturated Fats Can Contribute to Weight Loss

Another belief people have about saturated fat is that eating it makes us fat. However, this is only a half-truth. Eating saturated fat will make us fat – if we also eat a diet high in carbohydrates and refined sugars. A high-fat, low-carb paleo, or ketogenic diet, on the other hand, is proven to deliver effective weight loss results. For example, a study published in the journal Nutrition & Metabolism showed that there was “a clear benefit of a [very low-carbohydrate ketogenic] over [low-fat] diet for short-term body weight and fat loss, especially in men.”
    Note only claimed for "short term" weight loss. Also of note is that the diet, while higher in protein, was low calorie and low fat. https://nutritionandmetabolism.biome.../1743-7075-1-2

To test this hypothesis, the current author (under the mentorship of Drs. Ethan Sims and Edward Horton at the University of Vermont) undertook a study of subjects given a very low calorie ketogenic diet for 6 weeks in a metabolic research ward [13]. The protein for this diet, along with a modicum of inherent fat, was provided by lean meat, fish, and poultry providing 1.2 grams of protein per kg of reference ("ideal") body weight daily. In addition, mindful that the natriuresis of fasting could reduce circulating blood volume and cause secondary renal potassium wasting, the subjects were prescribed 3 grams of supplemental sodium as bouillion and 25 mEq (1 g) of potassium as bicarbonate daily.

Moreover, studies have shown that individual high-fat foods can contribute to weight loss when taken as a supplement. A Brazilian study published in the journal Lipids in 2009, for instance, found that women who consumed 30 milliliters of coconut oil daily exhibited a significant reduction in abdominal fat when compared to the control group. This result has been ascribed to coconut oil’s large concentrations of medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fat that our bodies metabolize with unusual rapidity.
    Is that a high fat diet? 30ml is only one ounce a day. Not a high fat diet. Were they doing anything else?

during which all subjects were instructed to follow a balanced hypocaloric diet and to walk for 50 min per day.
    Hypocaloric diet is a low calorie diet- consuming fewer calories than you expend. http://www.livestrong.com/article/16...ocaloric-diet/ They were also told to exercise for about an hour a day. Was it the one ounce of coconut oil? Or the lower calorie diet and exercise which led to weigh loss?

Energy intake and amount of carbohydrate ingested by both groups diminished over the trial, whereas the consumption of protein and fibre increased and lipid ingestion remained unchanged.
    Calorie intake was reduced during the trial while protein and fat intake was kept constant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437058

The studies do not support the reported conclusion that higher fat intake led to less body fat because they were actually low fat, reduced calorie diets which included exercise.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-29-2016 at 12:23 AM.

Well. I avoid pre-packaged and processed foods. And I try to stick to serving sizes that reflect an acceptable intake for good health. Works. That's where people are getting all of the bad stuff.

End of the day, it's really not what you eat. It's how much of it. That's my motto. And it works for me.

I'd take my shirt off an flex for yuns but proly not enough bandwidth to handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    One paragraph from the OP:

Note only claimed for "short term" weight loss. Also of note is that the diet, while higher in protein, was low calorie and low fat. https://nutritionandmetabolism.biome.../1743-7075-1-2

Is that a high fat diet? 30ml is only one ounce a day. Not a high fat diet. Were they doing anything else?

Hypocaloric diet is a low calorie diet- consuming fewer calories than you expend. http://www.livestrong.com/article/16...ocaloric-diet/ They were also told to exercise for about an hour a day. Was it the one ounce of coconut oil? Or the lower calorie diet and exercise which led to weigh loss?

Calorie intake was reduced during the trial while protein and fat intake was kept constant.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19437058

The studies do not support the reported conclusion that higher fat intake led to less body fat because they were actually low fat, reduced calorie diets.
    + rep
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Yep.

Saturated fats are better for you- and you can't lose fat w/o...wait for it... FAT. Whodda thunk?

Here's some good info on saturated fats:

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...rated-fat.aspx
    There is no spoon.

Mercola isn't a very good site for health information.

But that does not say how much fat a person needs. Yes, fats are beneficial, but like almost anything, too much can be bad for you.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-29-2016 at 01:44 AM.

Mercola isn't a very good site for health information.
    Ohhhhh, yes he is.
    There is no spoon.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    If saturated fats were good for us in more than we needed amounts, our bodies wouldn't make it on its own. There's no technical reason for needing saturated fats from outside sources.
    It only makes it just in case we can't find it for some reason.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Speaking for myself only, I completely avoid pre-packaged and pre-prepared food and try to stick to a low carb protein-rich diet. Around 200g a day. Works.

Seems like people survive off pre-packaged crap these days. Likely a result of good marketing, laziness, no time to cook because working 3 jobs to pay taxes, and a crappy economy. That stuff's no good. But it's largely what people tend to eat. It's no wonder we have the highest diabetes, heart disease, and obesity rates in the world. Fewer people actually cook real food anymore. With real cooking you at least get good natural fats.

Whatever, though. Eat what you want. Just know that you are what you eat. It's your business if you want to be a walking Hot Pocket.
    You beat 200g of protein a day? It's difficult to get your body to process that much. But you'll basically never run out of energy.
    I am the spoon.

Why, hb? Hm? Why? Why'd you have to get farreri started all over again in another thread?
    He's a bridge dweller. He would've shown up even if his name wasn't mentioned.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I find it amusing when these people try to tell me that what my body is telling me is wrong. The bonus is that I don't really give a $#@! what they think. "It $#@!ing WORKS." All their videos and internet posting can't eliminate the actual real life results I and others important to me have experienced.
    Every body is unique. From what ive read you post lately you're body is firing on all cylinders and then some. Keep doing what you do.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    You beat 200g of protein a day? It's difficult to get your body to process that much. But you'll basically never run out of energy.
    200 grams of protein a day is equal to eating eight hard boiled eggs a day.
    Or thirteen 100 gram (quarter pound) hamburger patties.
    Or a pound and a half (five cups) of chicken breast meat.
    Or eighteen five ounce cans of chunk albacore tuna in water.

That is a lot of protein- which can put a strain on your liver and kidneys to process.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-29-2016 at 04:39 AM.

That is a lot of protein- which can put a strain on your liver and kidneys to process.
    Mm hm. This is one of the reasons I'd mentioned to people about not doing what I do whenever it came up. Don't do it. It can be dangerous if you dont know what you're doing. I just got off of a chicken and broccoli run for a couple of months. So that was probably seven or eight cups of chicken a day eating 5 or 6 times per day. But I'm brutal when I work out so I'm putting it back into my body more than anything. I get a good bit of protein in my last meal of the day. But I don't do 200 as much anymore anyway, Zip. Like right now, I'm not doing anything active so I'm not doing 200.

You're right, though.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-29-2016 at 04:56 AM.

Chester Copperpot

I though an egg only had 6g of protein... wouldnt 8 eggs be only 48g of protein?

Chester Copperpot

Mm hm. This is one of the reasons I'd mentioned to people about not doing what I do whenever it came up. Don't do it. It can be dangerous if you dont know what you're doing. I just got off of a chicken and broccoli run for a couple of months. So that was probably seven or eight cups of chicken a day eating 5 or 6 times per day. But I'm brutal when I work out so I'm putting it back into my body more than anything. I get a good bit of protein in my last meal of the day. But I don't do 200 as much anymore anyway, Zip. Like right now, I'm not doing anything active so I'm not doing 200.

You're right, though.
    theres no way i would eat 200g of protein a day... thats nuts... for me anyway...

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    I though an egg only had 6g of protein... wouldnt 8 eggs be only 48g of protein?
    Yes. That's Zippy for you though.
    I am the spoon.

theres no way i would eat 200g of protein a day... thats nuts... for me anyway...
    Pretty much the only way is to divide it into 4+ meals and seriously bust your ass to use it up. Generally you can't process more than 50g of protein at a time.
    I am the spoon.

Every body is unique. From what ive read you post lately you're body is firing on all cylinders and then some. Keep doing what you do.
    I agree, everybody is unique. The Primal style works for me and think everybody should give it a real try especially if they have health issues. even within the PB, people do better with different primal foods. My macros from yesterday (random day) I'm pretty happy with it.

Only 6 burgers, too, instead of 13.

Don't let Zip manage the books around here. Jiminy crickets. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I agree, everybody is unique. The Primal style works for me and think everybody should give it a real try especially if they have health issues. even within the PB, people do better with different primal foods. My macros from yesterday (random day) I'm pretty happy with it.

I've been advocating the Primal Blueprint for a few years now. It's the way we ate for hundreds of thousands if not millions of years. I've yet to find anyone that was disappointed after trying it.
    I am the spoon.

Protein isn't what you want to eat for energy, it's for rebuilding broken down muscle tissue and such. Fat or carbs are what you want to use for energy, but obviously I advocate eating mostly fat and not too many carbs.

If you're working out or training a lot, you want to eat more protein.

If you are inactive, you can eat as little as 1/3rd or half your body weight of grams of protein per day and be ok - if you're training it's good to have at least 75% of your body weight in grams of protein per day, but some people advocate as much as 1-2grams per pound of body weight.
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Protein isn't what you want to eat for energy, it's for rebuilding broken down muscle tissue and such.
    Yeah, this.

Protein isn't what you want to eat for energy, it's for rebuilding broken down muscle tissue and such. Fat or carbs are what you want to use for energy, but obviously I advocate eating mostly fat and not too many carbs.

If you are inactive, you can eat as little as 1/3rd or half your body weight of grams of protein per day and be ok - if you're training it's good to have at least 75% of your body weight in grams of protein per day, but some people advocate as much as 1-2grams per pound of body weight.
    Yup. This^^ is why everyone has to figure out the macronutrients their specific bodies need. Bodybuilders, coaches, and athletes I know personally reckon 1g protein/ pound of body weight-some as high as 1.5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.

That was poorly said on my part. Protein helps with recovery and in therefore you can feel more "energetic" than you would without it.
    I am the spoon.

Hah.. I wish it was only 8 hard boiled eggs a day.. Try 33..

And it's not a strain if you are using the protein - it depends on how hard you are training.

I'm taking a break right now, but I was lifting weights 4 days a week for 2+ hours a day and was eating about 140-170 grams a day. When you start eating that much protein, it's more practical to get a good portion of it from protein shakes. I do a combo of grass fed whey and an organic plant based protein powder.
    Last edited by dannno; 09-29-2016 at 12:03 PM.

Chester Copperpot

I've been advocating the Primal Blueprint for a few years now. It's the way we ate for hundreds of thousands if not millions of years. I've yet to find anyone that was disappointed after trying it.
    dont look now but farreri hasnt been here in a week... maybe primal made him butthurt more than anybody...

Hah.. I wish it was only 8 hard boiled eggs a day.. Try 33..

And it's not a strain if you are using the protein - it depends on how hard you are training.

I'm taking a break right now, but I was lifting weights 4 days a week for 2+ hours a day and was eating about 140-170 grams a day. When you start eating that much protein, it's more practical to get a good portion of it from protein shakes. I do a combo of grass fed whey and an organic plant based protein powder.
    Thats a lot of working out, man. That's serious working out. Beast Mode.

Have you ever tried hemp powder? I was thinking about it. I've never tried it, though. Isopure Meal Replacements or Nitro Tech is what I've been using this year.

Make sure you're gettting a good shot of protein before you go to sleep to replenish your body if you're still doing it like that. Same as taking vitamins. You don't pee them all out if you take them at night time. So your body absorbs them. You know?

There was somebody else around here that worked out like that, too. I forget who, though.

HB has it right. About a gram per pound of body weight.

But yeah, that's serious working out right there.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-29-2016 at 12:35 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast