Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why you should be eating moar fat

Thumbs up Why you should be eating moar fat

To the great chagrin of faerri and the limp-wristed weenie food nazi gang.

https://www.lewrockwell.com/2016/09/...saturated-fat/

In 1953, the American scientist Dr. Ancel Keys published a paper linking high saturated fat intake with heart disease in adult men. Though initially met with skepticism, medical societies, and government bodies eventually embraced Keys’s findings, and the era of fat demonization began – much to the joy of processed food manufacturers.
    Although most experts now regard Keys’s research as cherry-picked and flawed, its conclusions still influence and direct the purchasing choices of the average consumer. Many people still believe that saturated fats – even when sourced from nutritious whole foods, such as eggs and coconut oil – contribute to weight gain and heart disease, even though the evidence is starting to prove the exact opposite.
    Saturated Fats Increase LDL Cholesterol Size
    One of the biggest fears people have concerning saturated fats is their alleged ability to raise “bad” low-density lipoprotein (LDL) cholesterol, which is implicated in atherosclerosis and cardiovascular disease. However, our understanding of cholesterol and its roles in the body are much more sophisticated than they were in the middle of the 20th century.
    We now understand, for instance, that only small LDL particles are associated with heart disease, not large LDL particles – and, as it happens, saturated fats are proven to increase amounts of the large subtype of LDL. For example, a study published in The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition found that dietary saturated fat intake correlated with increased concentrations of larger LDL particles in adult men. A later study, published in the same journal, reached a similar conclusion.
    Myths, Misunderstandings and Outright lies about owning Gold. Are you at risk?
    Saturated Fats Increase HDL Cholesterol
    Better still, ongoing research suggests that saturated fat can actually increase high-density lipoprotein (HDL) cholesterol levels, which is the “good” cholesterol that transports cholesterol from the arteries to the liver for reuse or excretion. Research published in the journal Arteriosclerosis and Thrombosis in 1992, for example, found that “all fatty acids elevated HDL cholesterol when substituted for carbohydrates,” and that these effects “diminished with increasing unsaturation of the fatty acids.” These results suggest that contrary to popular belief, saturated fat intake can actively benefit our cardiovascular health.
    Saturated Fats Can Contribute to Weight Loss
    Another belief people have about saturated fat is that eating it makes us fat. However, this is only a half-truth. Eating saturated fat will make us fat – if we also eat a diet high in carbohydrates and refined sugars. A high-fat, low-carb paleo, or ketogenic diet, on the other hand, is proven to deliver effective weight loss results. For example, a study published in the journal Nutrition & Metabolism showed that there was “a clear benefit of a [very low-carbohydrate ketogenic] over [low-fat] diet for short-term body weight and fat loss, especially in men.”
    Moreover, studies have shown that individual high-fat foods can contribute to weight loss when taken as a supplement. A Brazilian studypublished in the journal Lipids in 2009, for instance, found that women who consumed 30 milliliters of coconut oil daily exhibited a significant reduction in abdominal fat when compared to the control group. This result has been ascribed to coconut oil’s large concentrations of medium-chain triglycerides, a form of saturated fat that our bodies metabolize with unusual rapidity.
    Conclusion
    Clearly, there are many reasons to embrace rather than fear saturated fats. Even mainstream health researchers are beginning to accept the fact that an omelet cooked with butter, for example, is a far healthier breakfast than cereal with skim milk. Many of us probably understood this on an instinctive level while growing up, but it has taken a long time for science to catch with up common sense. Grandma was right all along!
    Reprinted from Spiritfoods.
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Speaking for myself only, I completely avoid pre-packaged and pre-prepared food and try to stick to a low carb protein-rich diet. Around 200g a day. Works.

Seems like people survive off pre-packaged crap these days. Likely a result of good marketing, laziness, no time to cook because working 3 jobs to pay taxes, and a crappy economy. That stuff's no good. But it's largely what people tend to eat. It's no wonder we have the highest diabetes, heart disease, and obesity rates in the world. Fewer people actually cook real food anymore. With real cooking you at least get good natural fats.

Whatever, though. Eat what you want. Just know that you are what you eat. It's your business if you want to be a walking Hot Pocket.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-09-2016 at 04:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Speaking for myself only, I completely avoid pre-packaged and pre-prepared food and try to stick to a low carb protein-rich diet. Around 200g a day. Works.

Seems like people survive off pre-packaged crap these days. Likely a result of good marketing and a crappy economy. That stuff's no good.
    You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Natural Citizen again.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Seems like people survive off pre-packaged crap these days. Likely a result of good marketing, laziness, no time to cook because working 3 jobs to pay taxes, and a crappy economy. That stuff's no good. But it's largely what people tend to eat. It's no wonder we have the highest diabetes, heart disease, and obesity rates in the world. Fewer people actually cook real food anymore. With real cooking you at least get good natural fats.

Whatever, though. Eat what you want. Just know that you are what you eat. It's your business if you want to be a walking Hot Pocket.
    There are a few prepackaged things I buy (Good Seasons Italian Dressing packets - I swear there's crack in that mix) but, you're right it's crap. And as far as being fast and cheap, it's neither. I can have a piece of grilled meat and a big salad on the table in less than 30 minutes and no pots and pans to wash.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Our bodies make all the saturated fat we need. Problem solved.

I like a ratio of low-medium saturated fat , high monounsaturated like olive oil or sunflower oil, and low polyunsaturated. Each has their own benefit but each as differing "dose"thresholds.

This with low-med protein and low sugar as well as good exercise and high fiber diet is great

Fat is the only macronutrient that does not activate the mTOR/IGF-1 and HGH pathways associated with aging and genetic senescence. Both sugar and amino acids from protein directly initiate these genes while fat cannot. It should be the main diet constituent.
    Last edited by Kotin; 09-09-2016 at 08:48 PM.
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Our bodies make all the saturated fat we need. Problem solved.
    Tell that to someone who has dementia and Alzheimer's.
    Dietary Fat and The Brain

Think of it. For just the past 3 decades we have somehow become convinced that dietary fat represented a threat to our health. Mind you, fat has been a critical macronutrient for humans and our forebears for at least 2 million years. But suddenly, fat became responsible for every health woe you could think of.

Fortunately, science and common sense now prevail and this ridiculous aberration in human nutrition has been corrected.

Welcome fat back to the table. It’s good for the heart, brain, immune system and just about every aspect of human physiology you consider. And as it specifically relates to dementia, new research clearly shows us that individuals eating more of the “dreaded” fat actually have a substantial risk reduction for becoming demented while those with diets favoring carbohydrates the risk for dementia dramatically increased.

Debates about what we should be eating are often carried out from positions based on emotion. I believe we should place greater value on the published science coming to us from our most respected institutions.
    - See more at: http://www.drperlmutter.com/dietary-....Mf0pstP6.dpuf

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Eat Butter to Protect Your Brain

A New Take on Old News

Christiane Northrup, M.D.

What is your biggest concern when it comes to your long-term health?If I asked 100 of my subscribers I bet the majority of you would respond by answering: dementia and Alzheimer’s disease. As of today, there is no treatment for either of these conditions…or is there? Dr. David Perlmutter, a board certified neurologist and author of Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar—Your Brain’s Silent Killers, has discovered exactly what the title of his book suggests. Gluten, carbs, and sugar can affect your brain’s health.

And consuming large quantities of gluten and sugar-laden carbs, especially over a long period of time, may lead to conditions such as memory loss, dementia, Alzheimer’s disease, migraines, weight gain, depression, sore muscles, insomnia, or anxiety, as well as neurological diseases such as multiple sclerosis, Parkinson’s disease, or seizures. If this sounds incredible, consider this: the current Dietary Guidelines for Americans recommend 6-8 six oz. servings of carbohydrates per day. When I say carbs, I’m referring to rice, bread, pasta, cereal. (Fruits and vegetables are also carbs, but they are in a separate category.)

It’s only been a few years since the recommendation was 6-11 servings per day. Now, after many years of following these guidelines, the number of Americans with obesity, diabetes, dementia, depression, and Alzheimer’s Disease has reached epic proportions. That’s because what you eat matters—particularly when it comes to brain health.

Quell the Inflammation

When you eat foods with gluten and sugar-laden carbs, it causes your blood sugar to rise. And when your blood sugar levels rise, not only can it cause systemic inflammation, it can also lead to deterioration of the blood brain barrier. This protective covering keeps toxins, bacteria, and other foreign substances from affecting your brain’s health. So, you want to do what you can to protect the blood brain barrier. Once the blood brain barrier is damaged, the brain is susceptible to unhealthy substances. And this also can lead to inflammation.

When the brain is inflamed, it shrinks—and this can cause neurological problems, like memory loss and movement disorders. When it comes to inflammation, the brain is not like other parts of the body. If you pull a muscle in your arm, you will most likely experience pain and swelling. These are signals that tell you to rest your arm until the swelling goes down and it feels better. Unlike your arm, the brain has no pain sensors, meaning there is nothing to indicate that the brain is inflamed.

Brain Foods

While there are no approved treatments for dementia or Alzheimer’s disease, there is something you can do! Dr. Perlmutter knows this first hand. He has put many patients on a gluten-free, low-carb and low-sugar diets with remarkable results. When you were little you were probably told that fish was brain food. This healthy fat is definitely good for your brain. And so are some saturated fats! Yes, avocados, coconut oil, grass-fed beef, wild fish, butter, and cheese are good foods for the brain, too.

Dr. Permutter reminds us that we need saturated fats and that we’ve been eating saturated fats for years. Even human breast milk is 50% saturated fat! And the brain is comprised of 60% fat. Doctors and scientists have now confirmed that you can rebuild your brain, simply by eating these healthy fats. Saturated fats found in butter, beef, and cheese have been made out to be the enemy for about 30 years. And back when people were told to consume 6-11 servings of carbs per day, they were also advised to ingest fat very sparingly.

Again, this advice has shown to be unhealthy for your brain. While you add back the butter, also keep your carb intake low—and that means all carbs, even healthy whole grains, vegetables, and fruits. The idea is to eat low-glycemic foods, and to make sure that, all combined, you aren’t eating foods that cause a lot of sugar to circulate in your bloodstream. Even though fruit and brown rice are healthy choices, even these foods will affect your blood sugar if eaten in excess.

Dr. Permutter offers this advice: Any vegetable that is grown above ground, like spinach, lettuce, or cauliflower has less sugars and starches than foods that are grown below the ground, like white potatoes, sweet potatoes, or beets. The bottom line is this is good news! You can promote brain health simply by following a diet that limits or eliminates gluten and is low-glycemic. Of course, this will benefit your entire body, too.(This makes a great tweet! Please share.)
    - See more at: http://www.drnorthrup.com/eat-butter....JT6g0zvK.dpuf
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Grain Brain: The Surprising Truth about Wheat, Carbs, and Sugar—Your Brain’s Silent Killers

Alzheimer’s Disease

Practically non-existent a century ago
    , Alzheimer’s disease is now the #6 killer in the U.S. Poor cardiovascular health may clog cerebral arteries, cutting off blood flow to the brain and leading to the development of Alzheimer’s disease. Other dietary components that may increase the risk of cognitive dysfunction include pork consumption, hormones and steroids in dairy, blue-green algae supplements, spirulina, copper (in meat), glycotoxins (found mostly in chicken), the neurotoxin, BMAA, (found mostly in fish), aluminum (in cheese), and iron (in supplements).

However, studies on saffron, coffee, ginger and apple juice, beans, vitamins D and B-12, whole grains and fruits and vegetables with their component phytonutrients have shown some potential for preventing or slowing down the disease. Turmeric may treat and prevent Alzheimer’s disease. Exercise has even been shown to reverse mild cognitive decline. Plant-based diets in general may slow aging and help prevent Alzheimer’s disease.

http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/alzheimers-disease/
    Last edited by farreri; 09-09-2016 at 09:11 PM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    To the great chagrin of faerri and the limp-wristed weenie food nazi gang.
    Why, hb? Hm? Why? Why'd you have to get farreri started all over again in another thread?

Quote Originally Posted by Kotin View Post
    I like a ratio of low-medium saturated fat , high monounsaturated like olive oil or sunflower oil, and low polyunsaturated. Each has their own benefit but each as differing "dose"thresholds.

This with low-med protein and low sugar as well as good exercise and high fiber diet is great

Fat is the only macronutrient that does not activate the mTOR/IGF-1 and HGH pathways associated with aging and genetic senescence. Both sugar and amino acids from protein directly initiate these genes while fat cannot. It should be the main diet constituent.
    What do you think of the old coach's "rule" of eating 1-1.5 g of protein per 1 pound of body weight daily? I've had coaches suggest I follow that. It's too pricey for me to stick to strictly, but I endeavour to keep protein and fat quite high and even moreso on workout/practice/performance days-which are typically very active. Thnx, Dr Kotin. ~hugs~
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Why, hb? Hm? Why? Why'd you have to get farreri started all over again in another thread?
    #feelingmalevolentandprovocative

What do you think of the old coach's "rule" of eating 1-1.5 g of protein per 1 pound of body weight daily? I've had coaches suggest I follow that. It's too pricey for me to stick to strictly, but I endeavour to keep protein and fat quite high and even moreso on workout/practice/performance days-which are typically very active. Thnx, Dr Kotin. ~hugs~
    No protein can be lower than that but I guess it depends if you are building muscle or maintaining mass or not. If not, it can be relatively low..
    The ultimate minority is the individual. Protect the individual from Democracy and you will protect all groups of individuals
    Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual. - Thomas Jefferson
    I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain.

- Bene Gesserit Litany Against Fear

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    There are a few prepackaged things I buy (Good Seasons Italian Dressing packets - I swear there's crack in that mix)
    its MSG

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    its MSG
    I think so because I've tried all kinds of homemade Italian dressings and they're good but they seem to be missing something. It must also be in the flavoring on Chicken in a Biskit crackers. I like to lick those.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Roll your eyes all you want, for nearly a century people have been told saturated fats were bad for them. It's unfortunate you cannot make that connection.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Alzheimer’s Disease

Practically non-existent a century ago
    Aluminum in cans, pots, kettles, skillets and utensils.

Sailors lived on salt pork and hardtack 100 years ago.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I think so because I've tried all kinds of homemade Italian dressings and they're good but they seem to be missing something. It must also be in the flavoring on Chicken in a Biskit crackers. I like to lick those.
    total MSG.... But I know what you mean they sure do taste good

Roll your eyes all you want, for nearly a century people have been told saturated fats were bad for them. It's unfortunate you cannot make that connection.
    If saturated fats were good for us in more than we needed amounts, our bodies wouldn't make it on its own. There's no technical reason for needing saturated fats from outside sources.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Aluminum in cans, pots, kettles, skillets and utensils.
    So you disagree with donnay too?

Chester Copperpot

If saturated fats were good for us in more than we needed amounts, our bodies wouldn't make it on its own. There's no technical reason for needing saturated fats from outside sources.
    thats devoid of logic

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    thats devoid of logic
    Why?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfux-5Z4COo
    "Currently, coconut oil has not been shown to have an effect on Alzheimer’s."
    http://nutritionfacts.org/topics/alzheimers-disease/

Chester Copperpot

Why?

Your original quote: If saturated fats were good for us in more than we needed amounts, our bodies wouldn't make it on its own. There's no technical reason for needing saturated fats from outside sources.

You really dont see the flaw in that logic?

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Your original quote: If saturated fats were good for us in more than we needed amounts, our bodies wouldn't make it on its own. There's no technical reason for needing saturated fats from outside sources.

You really dont see the flaw in that logic?

He doesn't realize that is when the body in survival mode.

Smart fats effect development and performance

Fats can also influence brain development and performance, especially at either end of life — growing infants and elderly people. In fact, there are two windows of time in which the brain is especially sensitive to nutrition: the first two years of life for a growing baby and the last couple decades of life for a senior citizen. Both growing and aging brains need nutritious fats.

The most rapid brain growth occurs during the first year of life, with the infant’s brain tripling in size by the first birthday. During this stage of rapid central nervous system growth, the brain uses sixty percent of the total energy consumed by the infant. Fats are a major component of the brain cell membrane and the myelin sheath around each nerve. So, it makes sense that getting enough fat, and the right kinds of fat, can greatly affect brain development and performance. In fact, during the first year, around fifty percent of an infant’s daily calories come from fat. Mother Nature knows how important fat is for babies; fifty percent of the calories in mother’s milk is fat.

Different species provide different types of fat in their milk, fine-tuned to the needs of that particular animal. For example, mother cows provide milk that is high in saturated fats and low in brain-building fats, such as DHA. This helps their calves grow rapidly, though it may not do much for their brains. In adult cows, the brain is small compared with the body. Cows don’t have to do a lot of thinking to survive. In human infants, the brain grows faster than the body. Highly developed brains are important to human beings, so human milk is low in body- building saturated fats and rich in brain-building fats, such as the fatty acid DHA (docosahexaenoic acid), an omega 3 fatty acid.
    http://www.askdrsears.com/topics/fee...growing-brains
    Last edited by donnay; 09-10-2016 at 02:39 PM.

“I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    LOL

LOL
    That was my reaction when I first saw the title of your thread.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    That was my reaction when I first saw the title of your thread.
    Good. Lulz sometimes bring people out of the trance the anti-fat brigade and its media echo chamber have put them into.

Good. Lulz sometimes bring people out of the trance the anti-fat brigade and its media echo chamber have put them into.
    Of course healthy fats are good, to an extent, but if you're buying the "eat up the saturated fats!" bullhockey, then I think you're hearing what your itching ears want to hear.

Keep in mind that many big businesses (meat, dairy, etc) are fighting like hell to keep people buying their products, and anyone can put out a "study" that says anything they want it to, it doesn't mean it's true.

― Henry David Thoreau

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast