Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: How to Solve the Illegal Immigration Problem

Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    What if it were a mass voluntary deportation? Would that still be a "terrible idea"?

By the way, as the title of this thread shows: Ron Paul believes that illegal immigration is a problem. And he believes that it deserves to be solved and needs to be solved. He believes he has come up with a way to do it that does not violate libertarian principles: eliminate incentives from the government.

Likely that will not be enough, not nearly enough, America is too rich and attractive even without welfare, but it would be a good start and would do some good.
    Actually it's a perfect plan.

The economy has always thrived with immigration; if we're not paying for them then it's a win/win.
    There is no spoon.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by helmuth_hubener View Post
    What if it were a mass voluntary deportation? Would that still be a "terrible idea"?

By the way, as the title of this thread shows: Ron Paul believes that illegal immigration is a problem. And he believes that it deserves to be solved and needs to be solved. He believes he has come up with a way to do it that does not violate libertarian principles: eliminate incentives from the government.

Likely that will not be enough, not nearly enough, America is too rich and attractive even without welfare, but it would be a good start and would do some good.
    No, I do not. Why would I oppose voluntary deportation? I was only referring to government deportation forces attempting mass deportation because of the civil liberty violations, in addition to the billions of dollars and the certainty they wouldn't be successful. I agree 110% with eliminating incentives that shouldn't be there in the first place. My primary concern with illegal immigrants is the welfare state, which I strongly oppose for citizens as well as illegal immigrants.

I was opposing something along the lines of what the Hoover administration did by deporting "undesirable" immigrants and restricting all but the most wealthy potential new immigrants as an intended cure for unemployment and to try to enforce Hoover's high wage problems. I don't believe that idea to be supported by any sound economic theory.

But if immigrants voluntarily leave, then that shouldn't be stopped in any way. And if illegal immigrants do come into contact with law enforcement then I don't see any reason not to deport them based upon their status. Enforcing the (constitutional) laws we have right now makes the most sense. Although the best course of action would be to eliminate the welfare state and repeal minimum wage laws. That way, wages could be at their natural level and we'd be closer to a healthy, stable economy as well as a bit closer to a voluntary society as government would no longer be outlawing jobs by telling people what wages they can work for.

Quote Originally Posted by Ender View Post
    The economy has always thrived with immigration.
    Tell yourself that next time you're stuck in traffic.

Why is it that you're stuck in traffic?

Immigration.

Why do our cities keep becoming more and more congested? Why are we constantly having to build more and more housing and expand more and more roadways just to keep up?

Immigration.

Without immigration, our population would have remained relatively stable for the last 20 or 30 years.

Is America better with a population of 500 million or of 300 million? Do we really want more and more and more people? Are we really so desperate for further overcrowding?

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    http://ronpaulinstitute.org/archives...ation-problem/
    Copyright © 2016 by RonPaul Institute. Permission to reprint in whole or in part is gladly granted, provided full credit and a live link are given.
    Please donate to the Ron Paul Institute
    Ron Paul contradicts himself. He says no welfare for immigrants, but then how would one determine if someone was an immigrant or not? Of course his utopia world is no welfare at all but that's beside the point.

Why would we need a new national ID card to implement E-verify? There are already government databases such as social security, drivers license, passports. This is how E-verify works, it compares information to already established databases.

I had to fill out dozens of forms for employment in the Finance industry. They ran a credit check, background check, criminal history check. What's the difference for E-Verify?
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

6. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    Ron Paul contradicts himself. He says no welfare for immigrants, but then how would one determine if someone was an immigrant or not? Of course his utopia world is no welfare at all but that's beside the point.

Why would we need a new national ID card to implement E-verify? There are already government databases such as social security, drivers license, passports. This is how E-verify works, it compares information to already established databases.

I had to fill out dozens of forms for employment in the Finance industry. They ran a credit check, background check, criminal history check. What's the difference for E-Verify?
    Mmm... Can you smell the freedom?! Mmmmm.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

I'd add a couple things to Ron Paul's article. The main reason employers hire illegals is because they cost less. Minimum wage, payroll taxes, discrimination lawsuits, etc. We need to remove the huge cost government has added to hiring workers. Then only foreigners who can out compete natives for a job on a level playing field will come here. Most likely those foreigners will be more supportive of liberty.

Another thing would be to end the drug war. That'll stop a lot of the problems associated with illegals.

The greatest political figure to ever grace the United States is Ron Paul.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul
    Perhaps the most important lesson from Obamacare is that while liberty is lost incrementally, it cannot be regained incrementally. The federal leviathan continues its steady growth; sometimes boldly and sometimes quietly. Obamacare is just the latest example, but make no mistake: the statists are winning. So advocates of liberty must reject incremental approaches and fight boldly for bedrock principles.
    The epitome of libertarian populism

"Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123