Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Meat eaters surprising low in B12, study

Exclamation Meat eaters surprising low in B12, study

B12 Deficiency May Be More Widespread Than Thought
    By Judy McBride
    August 2, 2000

Nearly two-fifths of the U.S. population may be flirting with marginal vitamin B12 status if the population of Framingham, Mass., is any indication.

A careful look at 3,000 men and women in the ongoing Framingham Offspring Study found 39 percent with plasma B12 levels in the “low normal” range--below 258 picomoles per liter.

While this is well above the currently accepted deficiency level of 148 pmol/L, some people exhibit neurological symptoms in the higher range, said study leader Katherine Tucker. She is a nutritional epidemiologist at the Jean Mayer USDA Human Nutrition Research Center on Aging at Tufts University in Boston.

Nearly 9 percent of the study population fell below the current deficiency level. And more than 16 percent fell below 185 pmol/L. “Many people may be deficient at this level,” said Tucker. “There is a question as to what the clinical cutoff for deficiency should be.

“I think there is a lot of undetected vitamin B12 deficiency out there,” she said, noting that the study covered people from 26 to 83 years old. The research was funded by the Agricultural Research Service (ARS), USDA’s chief scientific agency.

B12 deficiency can cause a type of anemia marked by fewer but larger red blood cells. It can also cause walking and balance disturbances, a loss of vibration sensation, confusion, and, in advanced cases, dementia. The body requires B12 to make the protective coating surrounding the nerves, so inadequate B12 can expose nerves to damage.

“The good news,” said ARS administrator Floyd Horn, “is that most people can improve their B12 status by eating more fortified cereals and dairy products. Dr. Tucker’s findings show that these foods were nearly as effective as supplements containing B12 for getting people’s blood levels above the danger zone.”

Tucker and colleagues looked at B12 levels spanning the adult population because most previous studies have focused on the elderly, who were thought to be at higher risk for deficiency. The results were surprising. The youngest group--the 26- to 49-year-olds--had about the same B12 status as the oldest group--65 and up. “We saw a high prevalence of low B12 even among the youngest group,” Tucker said.

The researchers also expected to find some connection between dietary intake and plasma levels, even though other studies found no association. And they did find a connection. Supplement use dropped the percentage of volunteers in the danger zone--plasma B12 below 185 pmol/L--from 20 percent to 8. Eating fortified cereals five or more times a week or being among the highest third for dairy intake reduced, by nearly half, the percentage of volunteers in that zone--from 23 and 24 percent, respectively, to 12 and 13 percent.

Oddly, the researchers found no association between plasma B12 levels and meat, poultry, and fish intake, even though these foods supply the bulk of B12 in the diet. “It’s not because people aren’t eating enough meat,” Tucker said. “The vitamin isn’t getting absorbed.”

In the elderly, it’s probably because they don’t secrete enough stomach acid to separate the vitamin from the meat proteins that tightly bind it. But Tucker can only speculate about the reasons for poor absorption of the vitamin from meat among younger adults or why B12 appears to be better absorbed from dairy products than from meats.

Fortified cereals are a different story. Tucker said the vitamin is sprayed on during processing and is “more like what we get in supplements.”

https://www.ars.usda.gov/news-events...-than-thought/

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    1st hit on Google for "source B-12"

Sources of Vitamin B12. Vitamin B12 is naturally found in animal products, including fish, meat, poultry, eggs, milk, and milk products. Vitamin B12 is generally not present in plant foods, but fortified breakfast cereals are a readily available source of vitamin B12 with high bioavailability for vegetarians [5,13-15].
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/

Chester Copperpot

PEOPLE NEED TO EAT SARDINES.. BEST SOURCE OF VITAMIN B-12 IN THE WORLD.

found 39 percent with plasma B12 levels in the “low normal” range
    so probably another 39 percent in the high normal... then 11% each on the extremes

lol

that's truly amazing and very concerning

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    so probably another 39 percent in the high normal... then 11% each on the extremes

lol

that's truly amazing and very concerning

and theyre only testing for one type of Vitamin B-12.. Imagine the issues with all the other versions that arent even tested for.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Or take a B12 supplement that's much cheaper and less risk of heavy metals from our polluted oceans, like mercury.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by farreri View Post
    Or take a B12 supplement that's much cheaper and less risk of heavy metals from our polluted oceans, like mercury.
    if you eat small fish on the food chain like sardines you wont get heavy metals like mercury... plus the synthetic vitamins are cheap because they suck.. poor quality and no replacement for natural vitamins found in food

This is the one I use and you have to learn to do your own research to find the best products:

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/vegansafe-b-12.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    1st hit on Google for "source B-12"

https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Vi...hProfessional/
    That reminds me, I need to go get more cereal. I like the nutty kind. The ones with all of those dates and raisins and nuts and whatnot. My cereal bowl may as well be a bucket.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    This is the one I use and you have to learn to do your own research to find the best products:

I get a lot of stuff from here... http://www.purehealingfoods.com/store.php

plus the synthetic vitamins are cheap because they suck.. poor quality and no replacement for natural vitamins found in food
    That's just NOT true. My B12, hematocrit, and homocystiene levels are all in the optimal range thanks to the inexpensive and easy synthetic B12 supplement I buy over the counter, coupled with my clean plant based diet.

I'm currently using the brand by NOW Foods. Cheap and it works. I take 1000 mcg a day get my levels on the high range which I believe is optimal.

That's just NOT true. My B12, hematocrit, and homocystiene levels are all in the optimal range thanks to the inexpensive and easy synthetic B12 supplement I buy over the counter, coupled with my clean plant based diet.
    Lol at eating a vegan diet for health reasons then choking down a synth supplement.

Chester Copperpot

another day we can reopen up the entire discussion of what vitamins are... Things are in an optimal range perhaps but they are only testing for ONE TYPE of Vitamin B-12... What do you do about the other 100 varities that arent tested because people dont even know they exist... I understand your rationale, but my rationale is get it from the food because thats the best way to cover your ass IMO.. But another day... Ive had enough for one day

I'm currently using the brand by NOW Foods. Cheap and it works. I take 1000 mcg a day get my levels on the high range which I believe is optimal.
    NOW is made with Cyanocobalamin and is not a bioavailable form of B12. The best sources of B12 is Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin, which are the most bioavailable forms of B12.

Methylcobalamin, or methylated B-12 is the most pure, active, bioavailable coenzyme form of B-12 and when paired with adenosylcobalamin, the other coenzyme form of B-12, forms the most potent B-12 combination available.
    Last edited by donnay; 09-02-2016 at 03:44 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

NOW is made with Cyanocobalamin and is not a bioavailable form of B12. The best sources of B12 is Methylcobalamin and Adenosylcobalamin, which are the most bioavailable forms of B12.
    Yes it is. You're being ripped off by supplement sellers trying to get higher markups by scaring people into thinking the cheaper less profitable B12 forms aren't as good.

Cyanide-free synthetic forms of the vitamin—hydroxocobalamin, methylcobalamin, and adenosylcobalamin—are being used in some pharmacological products and supplements, but their claimed superiority to cyanocobalamin is debatable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12#Supplements

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    If you need more B-12 in your diet, try shellfish, liver, fish, red meat and eggs:

Shellfish - Mollusks (Clams, Oysters, Mussels)
    %DV per 3oz serving cooked: Clams (1648% DV) Oysters (408%), and Mussels (340%).

Liver (Beef, Liverwurst, Foie Gras, Chicken Liver Pate)
    %DV per 3oz serving: Beef Liver 83.1μg (1386% DV), Liverwurst Sausage (189%), Pate de Foie Gras (133%) and Chicken Liver Pate (114%).

Fish
    %DV per 3oz serving cooked: Mackerel (317%), Smoked Salmon (257%), Herring (186%), Tuna (154%), Canned Sardines (126%) and Trout (106%).

Crustaceans (Crab)
    %DV per 3oz serving cooked: Crab (192%), Crayfish (44%), Shrimp (24%) and Lobster (20%).

Red Meat (Beef, Lamb)
    %DV per 3oz serving cooked: (85%), Lamb (45%)

Eggs (Goose, Duck, Turkey, Chicken)
    %DV per whole egg, raw: Goose (122%), Duck (63%), Turkey (22%), Chicken (6%) and Quail (2%).
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    If you need more B-12 in your diet, try shellfish, liver, fish, red meat and eggs:
    Obviously, you didn't read the article in the OP.

But why not take a B12 supplement that will save you a lot of money and not risk your health with those foods you mentioned?

Ever since I discovered King Oscar sardines, I have been one sardine-eating fella. I really like the "Mediterranean Style" and the "Olive Oil," but sometimes I'll enjoy the Jalapeno one too. I get stacks and stacks of the things, and eat them with regularity.

I also drink a lot of 5 hour energy, which has something like 8000% RDA for B-12.

Quote Originally Posted by AZJoe View Post
    Fish
    %DV per 3oz serving cooked: Mackerel (317%), Smoked Salmon (257%), Herring (186%), Tuna (154%), Canned Sardines (126%) and Trout (106%).
    King Oscar makes little cans of Mackerel too, and I eat the heck out of that stuff. All. The. Time.

I also get a different brand of canned smoked salmon I can't remember right now.

lol, pretty sure I have absolutely nothing to worry about when it comes to B-12 intake.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by GunnyFreedom View Post
    Ever since I discovered King Oscar sardines, I have been one sardine-eating fella. I really like the "Mediterranean Style" and the "Olive Oil," but sometimes I'll enjoy the Jalapeno one too. I get stacks and stacks of the things, and eat them with regularity.

I also drink a lot of 5 hour energy, which has something like 8000% RDA for B-12.
    Yeah King Oscar are great.. I love that mediterranean style myself... hope it tastes just as good when my taste buds come back

Yeah, I like sardines, too. Same here. I buy them by the stack, too. I like the mustard packed ones the best.

Of course, I never tried the other flavors either. I've always just got the mustard packed ones.

Headline:

Meat eaters surprising low in B12, study

Body of article:

Oddly, the researchers found no association between plasma B12 levels and meat, poultry, and fish intake
    Also:

Nearly 9 percent of the study population fell below the current deficiency level.
    meaning 91% would not be considered "deficient".

Yet another example of meat eating being no better or worse than not eating meat.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 09-03-2016 at 12:04 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    Lol at eating a vegan diet for health reasons then choking down a synth supplement.
    You do realize that vitamin B12 is not produced by animals? It's from bacteria found either in the soil or bodies of water. So getting it from animals (who often get it from eating poop) is actually just a different form of packaging than a vegan getting it as a supplement.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    “I have no doubt that it is a part of the destiny of the human race, in its gradual improvement, to leave off eating animals, as surely as the savage tribes have left off eating each other.”

― Henry David Thoreau

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by lilymc View Post
    I stopped watching @3:50 in the video.. This lady doesnt have any understanding of the difference between a natural vitamin and a synthetic one.. Its not really her fault - most people arent aware of it either. But if shes going to make a video about natural sources of Vitamin B-12 and ignore the most potent natural food source - Sardines then she is hardly someone I would be comfortable taking advice from.

She is correct that most animal meat is going to be devoid of nutrients and its because of factory farming conditions where the animals themselves are only given crappy food and candy, synthetic vitamins, GMO grains, and all sorts of chemicals and meds to stay alive just long enough to make it to slaughter,,, All the more reason to buy grassfed & pastured animals and simply eat that meat instead. Its one reason I go out of my way every month or so and make a 5 hour round trip to a farm to buy my meats, milk, eggs etc.. The animals graze in a natural environment and no little baby chicks are ground up in machines or anything inhumane done to them.

Seafood.. wildcaught seafood is the best way to ensure vitamins and especially minerals are being gotten through diet. People need to stay away from farm raised seafood for the same reason they should stay away from factory farmed land animals.

I stopped watching @3:50 in the video.. This lady doesnt have any understanding of the difference between a natural vitamin and a synthetic one.. Its not really her fault - most people arent aware of it either. But if shes going to make a video about natural sources of Vitamin B-12 and ignore the most potent natural food source - Sardines then she is hardly someone I would be comfortable taking advice from.

She is correct that most animal meat is going to be devoid of nutrients and its because of factory farming conditions where the animals themselves are only given crappy food and candy, synthetic vitamins, GMO grains, and all sorts of chemicals and meds to stay alive just long enough to make it to slaughter,,, All the more reason to buy grassfed & pastured animals and simply eat that meat instead. Its one reason I go out of my way every month or so and make a 5 hour round trip to a farm to buy my meats, milk, eggs etc.. The animals graze in a natural environment and no little baby chicks are ground up in machines or anything inhumane done to them.

Seafood.. wildcaught seafood is the best way to ensure vitamins and especially minerals are being gotten through diet. People need to stay away from farm raised seafood for the same reason they should stay away from factory farmed land animals.
    ^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Yeah, I like sardines, too. Same here. I buy them by the stack, too. I like the mustard packed ones the best.

Of course, I never tried the other flavors either. I've always just got the mustard packed ones.
    Mustard is the only kind I've ever had. Sardines are great, people used to eat them a lot but it seems like they gone by the way side. At least we ate them a lot, my dad would take sardines and crackers for lunch just about everyday and my mom would throw 'em in our lunch sack when we were out of sandwich stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

As far as B12 goes, I get a shot once a month from my doc. I costs 100.00 a year, I don't have to remember to take them, and I feel like Wonder Woman.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Or take a B12 supplement.
    If you have to take processed supplements to get necessary nutrition, that is an indicator there is something wrong with your diet.
    Last edited by AZJoe; 09-16-2016 at 07:35 AM.
    "Let it not be said that we did nothing." - Dr. Ron Paul. "Stand up for what you believe in, even if you are standing alone." - Sophie Magdalena Scholl
    "War is the health of the State." - Randolph Bourne "Freedom is the answer. ... Now, what's the question?" - Ernie Hancock.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast