Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: September here, and college football starting up

I am raking it in , having a yard sale while counting all of my new found football monies . I might celebrate and buy a new pair of 7 FRN jeans at Menards.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    App State is FBS now; they moved up a couple of years ago.

JSU had a slew of SEC transfers a few years back probably headlined by Ryan Perrilloux who ended up having a decent career there after another suspension. You're right though, parity is pretty good in college football right now and that makes our current dynasty all the more impressive to my very biased eyes.

Are you a Tennessee Tech fan?
    Yeah, I follow them because I did my undergrad there. Watson Brown is very popular because he grew up in Cookeville and played HS there, so it was tough to see him retire. All the coaches are going to say their players are students first and athletes second, but only some are serious about it. He would bench starters for failing an exam. When I would walk through the math building in the mornings, sometimes I would see one of his assistant coaches standing outside a classroom to make sure they are in class. One time, assistant coach looked into the classroom and whipped out his phone, he calls one of the players and tells him he's got 10 minutes to "get that $#@!ing ass to the classroom". But there were also several starters I remember having Calculus 2 and 3 with, which was required for all ___ Engineering majors, they had no problem making it to class and getting good grades. The year before they won the OVC title, I was at the game when they beat JSU. A lot of their fans travel with them, they were standing there in shock as the game slipped away from them. That was the same year JSU beat Ole Miss.

The new coach Satterfield was an assistant at Temple, I think he is related to the coach at App State. He brought 40 new players, including some skill players from FBS schools. Not a lot of starters returning from last year's team. They looked OK against Wofford, but that game was mostly in the trenches, and just got overpowered in the 2nd half. They also look like they need a few games to get used to playing together.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Well , so far , Oklahoma , LSU and Michigan State look over rated. I knew LSU was.

Last time two top five teams lost an opener was 1972 .

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    My Giants have been $#@!ty after the All Star break. Hopefully we at least hang on to the lead in the Wild Card race. We're used to winning the World Series from the Wild Card round anyway
    The Braves...SMDH. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    The Braves...SMDH. Oh, how the mighty have fallen.
    Maddux, Smoltz, Glavine, Avery. Possibly the best rotation of all time.
    I am the spoon.

Pac 12 , over rated , I knew UCLA would be on the ropes , easy pick on that one. I see the Indiana State Sycamores beat Butler .

UC Davis looking like they can play a little football with someone the same size . I kind of expected a little bit better showing from Miami Ohio.

I talked crap about LSU's offense to quick. Bama looks terrible.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    South Dakota State looking good .

I talked crap about LSU's offense to quick. Bama looks terrible.
    That USC field goal was something .

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    That USC field goal was something .
    Yeah it was!
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Appalachian State almost knocked off a big name school ten years later.

I have to admit though, that Smokey is still the best mascot (sorry UGA, you're a close second )

Need one of these thundering onto the field in front of a team!

Bama looks terrible.
    Not any more. We are watching DVR, so please don't spoil it for me. This is the picksix that happened because of the groin stomp penalty. USC 3 Bama 17.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

UMass needs to pick it up , I figured they would cover the spread , they may as well win too .

Alabama has scored some more. USC 3 Tide 31. I guess the Tide woke up. I like this freshman quarterback they have.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    Alabama has scored some more. USC 3 Tide 31. I guess the Tide woke up. I like this freshman quarterback they have.
    Yeah, it was rocky there for a minute, but it has turned around very nicely.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    Appalachian State almost knocked off a big name school ten years later.

I have to admit though, that Smokey is still the best mascot (sorry UGA, you're a close second )

UGA is the best.

Bulldog Blues: UGA mascot could see changes amid breed worries

SAVANNAH — The most popular dog in college football is ready for another season prowling the sidelines in Athens and wherever else his team takes him. But the family that owns the bulldog whose jowly image is the iconic face of University of Georgia football is already thinking about his replacement.
    That next dog? He may not look like his old man, Uga X. Young Uga XI could have a smaller head, maybe a slightly longer nose. His legs may a bit longer; his chest, not quite so broad.

Charles Seiler, the son of the man who 60 years ago started the whole Uga line, wants to change UGA’s bulldog to make it look more like the Ugas of yore. It’s a matter of health, if not aesthetics.

The bulldog, some veterinarians say, is in crisis, its genetic pool fouled by poor breeding choices. It can barely breathe. It can hardly walk. It is prone to heat stroke — Ugas have been known to lie on blocks of ice. It cannot bear puppies without a C-section. It cannot breed without a lot more human intervention than nature intended.

“The breed is kind of reaching the end of the road,” said Dr. Niels Pedersen of the University of California-Davis, who released an alarming new study on bulldogs earlier this summer.

Seiler has heard those warnings. He’s not taking any chances. He’s lined up a female bulldog with physical characteristics that he hopes will whelp an Uga XI more capable of handling the rigors of mascot duty.

“You don’t want an unhealthy dog,” Seiler said one recent morning as the long wait for UGA’s football season dwindled to a handful of days. The football drought ends Sept. 3, when the Georgia Bulldogs play the North Carolina Tar Heels in Atlanta. As he has for five decades, Seiler will be at the season opener with UGA’s mascot.

“It’s important for us to have them healthy,” Seiler said. “They (breeders) want to keep the gene pool clean.”

http://www.myajc.com/news/news/bulld...amid-br/nsL5G/

Actually Reveille is the best...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reveille_(dog)

Reveille is officially cared for by Corps of Cadets Company E-2, known as the "mascot company". A sophomore in the unit is designated the "mascot corporal" and has ultimate responsibility for her care. Reveille accompanies the mascot corporal everywhere, including to class and on dates.[27]

Reveille is considered a cadet general and the highest-ranking member in the Corps of Cadets. To designate her rank, Reveille wears 5 diamonds on her maroon-and-white blanket.[27] Freshmen cadets are required to address her as "Miss Rev, ma'am."[5] Reveille is the only canine on campus, other than service animals, who is permitted to enter any campus building.[27] It is a widely held tradition that if Reveille decides to sleep on a cadet's bed, that cadet is required to sleep on the floor. However, in reality, she is constantly under the care of her handler and is not permitted to freely roam the dormitory or campus. This tradition likely applied only to the first Reveille.[28] By tradition, if she barks in class, that session is canceled.[29] Reveille has her own cell phone, operated by the mascot corporal, and her own student identification card
    Last edited by BamaAla; 09-03-2016 at 09:40 PM.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Deceased Reveilles were buried at the open end of the stadium so they could see the game; after the renovation that closed the stadium up, they could no longer see...Texas A%M installed them a scoreboard!

ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Deceased Reveilles were buried at the open end of the stadium so they could see the game; after the renovation that closed the stadium up, they could no longer see...Texas A%M installed them a scoreboard!
    I'm glad they gave them a scoreboard.

To date, 10 dogs have carried the name "Uga", which is derived from an abbreviation for the University of Georgia.[2][4][5] Each has been descended from the original Uga, and has frequently been the son of the predecessor.

Deceased Ugas are interred in a mausoleum near the main entrance at the southwest corner of Sanford Stadium. A bronze plaque describing each dog's tenure and including an epitaph is engraved in front of each tomb. The tomb's original location was at the east end of Sanford Stadium, and Ugas I and II were originally buried there. Prior to its 1981 enclosure, the University moved the Uga graves to the west end. When the west endzone was enclosed in 1992, the Ugas were entombed in their current resting place, and a bronze, life-sized statue representing Uga was placed in front of the mausoleum.[2]

Several Ugas have retired as part of pre-game ceremonies, during which there is a "passing of the collar" and the new Uga begins his reign. During these ceremonies, the fans typically chant "Damn good dog," a tradition dating back to Uga I.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uga_(mascot)

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    We have already had the college football season open - last Saturday, in Sydney, Australia with the Cal Bears 51-31 over Hawaii
    Wicked good defense!

Wisconsin upsets #5 ranked LSU earlier today at Lambeau field, which was the first college game played there in 30 years.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/wiscons...231217568.html
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-03-2016 at 09:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jan2017 View Post
    We have already had the college football season open - last Saturday, in Sydney, Australia with the Cal Bears 51-31 over Hawai'i,
    As long as we're mentioning the Cal Bears....

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I'm glad they gave them a scoreboard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uga_(mascot)
    You really can't beat college football traditions!

The only really cool thing we do is smoke cigars after Tennessee wins...and win National Championships.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Whoa, Stanford apparently has a rather exciting running back (Christian McCaffrey). Here's from yesterday's game:

UPDATE: I'm a little late to the party - I see McCaffrey was Heisman Trophy runner-up last year as a sophomore...
    Last edited by anaconda; 09-04-2016 at 01:33 AM.

You really can't beat college football traditions!

The only really cool thing we do is smoke cigars after Tennessee wins...and win National Championships.
    No, ya can't and it frosts my cookies that folks are trying to psychoanalyze them. At UGA, and most SEC games, it's tradition to dress up for games. Every year, some $#@! has to analyze it and tries to get women (especially, women.) to reconsider dressing up. WTF? I did it because it's just what we do and I had fun. Every year this crap comes up and they ain't gonna make me feel bad about dressing up when I go to a damn game. It makes the news around here every year and I have to wonder, with all the problems in the world, why on earth anyone would give a $#@! what women wear to college football games. And, yes, I wore heels to the games back in the day. This year, I saw a write up in a local paper (I don't live far from Athens) on what to wear to a game and they went on and on about no heels, casual dress, leave the pearls at home, blarg, blarg, blarg....*gag*

"I-85 and I-75 head north and Delta is ready when you are." ~Lewis Grizzard

Speakers question why southern women dress up for football games during Women's Studies lecture

Three speakers delivered Friday afternoon's Women’s Studies Speakers Series lecture, titled “Y'all Wear Dresses to Football Games? The Performance of Femininity on Game Day in the SEC,” on why women at universities in the South dress up for football games.

Mardi Schmeichel, an assistant professor in the University of Georgia Department of Educational Theory and Practice, Chris Linder, an assistant professor in the Department of Counseling and Human Development Services, and Stacey Kerr, a doctoral candidate and graduate teaching assistant in the College of Education, all attended universities outside of the South for their undergraduate degrees. And all agreed the culture of football gamedays is different above the Mason-Dixon Line.

“The fact that all of us are not from the South was an integral part of what led us to this project,” Schmeichel said. “While football is central to the culture at the University of Nebraska and there are many aspects of being an undergraduate there that are similar to the University of Georgia, as well as at the University of Miami, one of the big distinctions is what women were wearing [on game day].”

Through case studies in which they collected and analyzed pictures from Instagram and focus group interviews with female students from UGA, Schmeichel, Linder and Kerr developed the theory that there was both a pleasure and a duty to dressing up for football games that was distinct to southern universities.

“The gender dynamics here are formed by histories that are specific to southern culture,” Schmeichel said. “One speaker [in the interviews] referenced the southern lady and her desire to emulate the southern lady. This was found as desirable across the focus groups.”

The lecturers also addressed that the participants thought dressing up for football games had a correlation to the presence of men and masculinity on gamedays.

“There is an incredible pressure that some young women feel about the competition for relationships,” Kerr said. “Some women feel as if there is a market for relationships and there is a need to feel competitive and stand out.”

Another idea the speakers presented was that dressing up for football games is important for students' representations of themselves and of their schools. Many of the interviews suggested dressing up for gameday was a way to put a best foot forward and support the football team as well as the university, Kerr said.

“The women and the participants talked about the idea of representation and that they are not only representing themselves in this practice but also the university,” she said. “This is really interesting because what this demonstrates is that they have this choice, and acknowledge that they have this choice, but they refer to it as a duty that they have to perform as well.”

The speakers said they believe the idea of dressing up as a duty for gameday has connections to larger themes in southern tradition and UGA culture which explain why it was considered a responsibility by many students in the study.

“I thought it was really interesting about how we dress up and the mentality behind it,” said Rachel Bartlett, a junior biology and psychology major and one of the lecture's attendees. “It makes me reconsider my personal reasons on why I dress up because I have always just done it.”

The speakers said this is the beginning of their research into the football gameday culture of SEC universities and that there are more factors at play in southern tradition.

“I would think that they might want to do a little bit more probing about the feelings that the young women really have about doing it,” said Peggy Kreshel, an associate professor of advertising in the Grady College of Journalism and Mass Communication. “Are the girls really having fun when they [dress up] and when they are at the game or is it just a duty or obligation to them?”
    http://www.redandblack.com/uganews/s...7a43b2370.html

That's cute... tell me more about your fearsome school mascots

Of course, it doesn't always work out in the end...

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Missouri did not look good .

Page 2 of 27 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast