Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast

Thread: September here, and college football starting up

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    The so-called playoff system stinks. Last year they left TCU out supposedly because they didn't have a conference championship game. So Ohio State doesn't make their championship game and they get to play for a national championship? How does that work, exactly?
    That isn't the only criteria they use. In fact, it isn't one at all. It is like a tiebreaker if two teams look close to each other when they rank them.

In 2014, when Baylor and TCU got jumped by Ohio State after the conference championship, when comparing the three, you had a Baylor that had beaten two ranked teams, TCU and Kansas State, and lost to a mediocre West Virginia team, you had TCU who had beaten two ranked teams, Minnesota and Kansas State, and lost to Baylor, and you had Ohio State who had beaten two ranked teams before the championship game, Michigan State and Minnesota, and lost to a mediocre Virginia Tech team. After the conference title game, Ohio State had beaten three ranked teams, had won 11 in a row, was a conference champion, and looked better than TCU and Baylor (they do use the eye test too). If the Big XII had a title game, Baylor would have played in it because they beat TCU, and they would have had the chance to add another ranked win to their resume, and that may or may not have put them above Ohio State who had just beaten a ranked team 59-0.

This year, comparing Ohio State and Penn State, Ohio State beat Big XII champion #7 Oklahoma and Big Ten runner up #8 Wisconsin on the road, #6 Michigan at home, and lost by 3 points on the road to #5 Penn State. Three top ten wins. Penn State had two top ten wins, lost by 3 to 8-4 Pittsburgh and lost by 39 points to Michigan. They weren't close enough for a tiebreaker to matter, even after the conference title game.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So, basically, it was a subjective system based on conference commitment that has been made more subjective because a committee arbitrarily decides who the want to play in a given game and somehow prove one team is the best by some secret standard? Last year the committee specifically said because TCU did not play in a conference that had a championship game, they would not be considered for the playoff. There was nothing in the rules that said a conference winner was not eligible without a conference championship game. To then turn around and say Ohio State gets to play for a national championship even though they weren't eligible to play for their conference title is inconsistent. Conferences are not always the same. Some are stronger in some years than others, but a champion still needs to beat the other teams they play. Ohio State did not do that. They are a good team, but they did not win when it counted. They should be seen in the postseason, but they should not play for a national title. If we are going to go by who wins on a week when some team is considered better or worse than they will be four games later, then why bother with conferences at all?
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

4. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    In basketball this evening Notre Dame is up on the Mastodons by about a dozen with about 5 minutes to play , Arizona is up on the Anteaters by 6 with 6 minutes to Half and Duke over Florida @ Half by 10.
    Do something Danke

Florida Atlantic knocks off Ohio State by 2 .
    Do something Danke

You know, we could have a separate basketball thread. That would be awesome. I love basketball. Mostly ACC.
    #NashvilleStrong

Heisman Trophy finalists announced
    Joe Boozell | NCAA.com
    Last Updated - Dec 5, 2016 22:13 EST
    Contact | Archive | RSS

After a season full of impressive performances, we finally have the list of Heisman Trophy finalists that are headed to New York. They are:

QB Lamar Jackson, Louisville

Jackson looked like he was running away with the award in the middle of the season, but the field has since narrowed the gap. Regardless, it’s not surprising to see that Jackson’s been named a finalist.

It’s been a record-setting year for the Louisville sophomore. Jackson has thrown for 3,390 yards and 30 touchdowns in 2016, but he’s been most impressive on the ground. The best dual threat in the nation rushed for an astounding 1,538 yards and 21 scores on the year; he’s topped the 100-yard threshold eight times. Jackson burst onto the scene by posting more than 600 yards of total offense in Week 2 against Syracuse, and he’s turned in gem after gem ever since.

QB Deshaun Watson, Clemson

Watson was a popular pick to win the Heisman in the preseason, and he’s the best player on the No. 2 seed in the College Football Playoff. His case is obvious.

With that said, while Watson has been excellent statistically, his numbers aren’t quite as good as they were in 2015. Regardless, he’s passed for almost 4,000 yards and 37 scores, and the Tigers have all of one loss.

The Tiger QB isn’t running as much as he did last season, and that could wind up hurting his candidacy. He hasn’t rushed for more than 100 yards in a game this season, though his speed and smarts are still evident – Watson ran for 85 yards and two scores in the ACC title game. One of the biggest stars in the game on and off the field, Watson would certainly be deserving of the award.

QB Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma

Mayfield wasn’t selected as a Heisman finalist last season, and he came back with something to prove in 2016. He’s been magnificent all season long, and the Sooner QB is headed to New York because of it.

Mayfield’s per-pass numbers are absurd. The junior is averaging 11.12 yards per attempt on the season, and he owns a sparkling touchdown:interception ratio of 38:8. Mayfield has been particularly strong in the second half of the season; in the past seven weeks, he’s racked up 26 passing touchdowns. That’s a good season for most signal callers. It’s only a sliver of Mayfield’s fantastic campaign.

WR Dede Westbrook, Oklahoma

Starting with a 158-yard performance on Oct. 1 against TCU, Westbrook was unstoppable for the better part of 2016. His numbers on the season: 74 receptions, 1,456 yards and 16 touchdowns. The senior wideout almost averaged 20 yards per reception; there was no deep threat like Westbrook this year in college football.

Westbrook is the only wide receiver that will have a chance to win the Heisman, and that shows how great of an impact he made from his position. The last wide receiver to win the award was Desmond Howard in 1991.

LB/DB Jabrill Peppers, Michigan

Peppers being named a finalist is something of a surprise, but perhaps no player in America impacted the game in as many ways as the stud Michigan defender did this season.

Name a position, and Peppers probably played it. And excelled in doing so. He was all over the field as a linebacker and a defensive back, but also made waves as a running back and Wildcat quarterback. Jim Harbaugh wasn’t afraid to use Peppers in goal line situations on offense, and he delivered: No. 5 in maize and blue ran for 167 yards and three scores on the year. He also returned a punt for a touchdown and was excellent in the return game as a whole.
    http://www.ncaa.com/news/football/ar...ists-announced
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Just about gotta be one of those first three .
    Do something Danke

So, basically, it was a subjective system based on conference commitment that has been made more subjective because a committee arbitrarily decides who the want to play in a given game and somehow prove one team is the best by some secret standard? Last year the committee specifically said because TCU did not play in a conference that had a championship game, they would not be considered for the playoff. There was nothing in the rules that said a conference winner was not eligible without a conference championship game. To then turn around and say Ohio State gets to play for a national championship even though they weren't eligible to play for their conference title is inconsistent. Conferences are not always the same. Some are stronger in some years than others, but a champion still needs to beat the other teams they play. Ohio State did not do that. They are a good team, but they did not win when it counted. They should be seen in the postseason, but they should not play for a national title. If we are going to go by who wins on a week when some team is considered better or worse than they will be four games later, then why bother with conferences at all?
    Yes, it's subjective. It's always been, and in college football, always will be subjective who gets picked to play for the national championship.

They never said TCU (or Baylor who also finished ahead of TCU that year) didn't make it because they didn't play in a conference championship game. They said the 13th game, or "13th data point", helped Ohio State. It gave them a chance to post an extra impressive win against a good team which gave Ohio State the edge when comparing the three teams.

Penn State beat Ohio State, Michigan beat Penn State. Ohio State beat Michigan. If Michigan had beaten Iowa, there would have been a three-way tie in their division that would have sent Ohio State to the Big Ten championship game. So because Iowa beat Michigan, that means Ohio State should be disqualified from the playoff? Because Clemson lost to Pittsburgh instead of Louisville, they should be in? Conference championship games are a cash grab, exhibition game. Teams in the same conference don't play the same teams. The playoff was never designed to have them be a play-in game.

Ohio State didn't need the 13th data point. They accomplished enough in 12 games to earn a spot. No other team in the country beat three teams that finished ranked in the top ten. Every other team that was in consideration (except Alabama) lost to lesser teams than Ohio State did. But yes, the whole thing was always meant to be subjective.

Last year they left TCU out....How does that work, exactly?

TCU has the word Christian in their name.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Very sad. He was an amazing guy. Suicide- found in a park with a gun next to him. http://www.espn.com/college-football...an-salaam-died

Rashaan Salaam, former Heisman Trophy-winning running back, dies

Rashaan Salaam, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1994, has died, a family spokesperson said Tuesday.

He was 42.

Salaam's body was found in a parking lot at Eben G. Fine Park and 911 was called just before 9 p.m. on Monday, according to Boulder Police spokesperson Shannon Cordingly. The park is less than two miles from Folsom Field, where Salaam starred as a running back for the University of Colorado.

Cordingly said there were no signs of foul play and an autopsy to determine the cause of death will be performed by the Boulder County Coroner's Office. Police told Salaam's mother, Khalada, they suspect suicide after finding a note. She told USA Today Sports, "They said they found a note and would share that with us when we get there."

"The Buff Family has lost an outstanding young man and a great Buff today," Colorado athletic director Rick George said Tuesday. "We are heartbroken for Rashaan and his family, and our thoughts and prayers are with them at this very difficult time."

The Chicago Bears, who picked Salaam in the first round (No. 21 overall) of the 1995 draft, tweeted, "Our thoughts are with his family."

Denver Broncos director of player personnel Matt Russell, who was Salaam's teammate at Colorado from 1992 to '94, released this statement:

"Rashaan was as dynamic off the field as he was on the field as a player. He was a fiercely loyal friend, someone who was always in your corner and had your back. He was the ultimate teammate and supportive of everyone in his locker room. If there was ever a guy who was going to get a personal foul for protecting someone on his team, Rashaan was that guy."

"Rashaan was the ultimate Buffalo and was so proud to be called a 'Colorado Buffalo.' We were part of the same recruiting class, what we called 'nine deuce,' the Class of 1992. On the field, Rashaan was the definition of a winner. It was important to him. He practiced hard, he played hard and he made our teams better. Rashaan and I laughed a lot after practices because we had so many battles and fights. Even when we last saw each other a few years ago at the CU Hall of Fame induction, we still shared those great memories and had a lot of laughs from our time together at Colorado.

"My heart goes out to Rashaan's mother and his family. They have a lot to be proud of with the person that Rashaan was, the way he treated people and the friend he was to everyone he came across. He will be missed by so many, and I extend my deepest sympathies to Rashaan's many friends and family."

Salaam won the Heisman Trophy in 1994, a season in which the Buffaloes finished No. 3 in the final Associated Press poll. He rushed for 2,055 and 24 touchdowns that season and also won the Walter Camp and Doak Walker awards.

During his rookie season, he became the youngest player in NFL history to rush for 1,000 yards. He was 21 years, 77 days old. He rushed for 1,074 and 10 touchdowns that season.

Salaam was plagued by injuries and fumbles (he lost 14 in 31 games for the Bears). He acknowledged in 1999 that marijuana use contributed to his problems in Chicago. "It probably had me out there lackadaisical instead of going out there 100 percent," he told ESPN in an interview then.

"Everybody thinks getting high is cool, you can let it go when you want to let it go," he said. "But it's just as potent as cocaine."

Salaam broke his leg in the third game of the 1997 season, after committing two costly fumbles, and said that injury increased his addiction.
    Wondering if it may be related to football injuries- either concussions or injury related pain reliever addictions?
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-07-2016 at 02:39 PM.

13. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    On Larry Birds Birthday , the Sycamores are up on # 16 Butler by 4 @ Half .
    Do something Danke

Sycamore leading scorer Scott has a brother that plays on the Mastodons .
    Do something Danke

Sycamores win 71 - 72 .
    Do something Danke

I see Kentucky beat my Crusaders , I was hoping for a really close game @ the end . Valpo put in a good 2nd half but got down too far in the first half .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Very sad. He was an amazing guy. Suicide- found in a park with a gun next to him.
    I saw that and felt sad for you, Zip. The article I read did not say anything about the gun. Double sad.
    #NashvilleStrong

Congratulations to Ole Miss' Evan Engram for winning the 2016 Ozzie Newsome Award, presented to college football’s best tight end by the Touchdown Club of Columbus...

http://www.olemisssports.com/sports/...120716aaa.html
    BEWARE THE CULT OF "GOVERNMENT"

Christian Anarchy - Our Only Hope For Liberty In Our Lifetime!
    Sonmi 451: Truth is singular. Its "versions" are mistruths.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:ChristianAnarchist

Use an internet archive site like
    THIS ONE
    to archive the article and create the link to the article content instead.

In Basketball ,St Marys knocked off at home by Texas Arlington . Syracuse has lost 3 of 4 .
    Do something Danke

Army wins and Louisville's Jackson takes the Heismann .
    Do something Danke

22. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Montana is giving Oregon a good basketball game this evening .
    Do something Danke

Jan2017

And back to the gridiron . . .

Minnesota players will not practice and are boycotting the Dec 27 Holiday Bowl match-up against the Washington State Cougars

Big Ten also had Northwestern players with team demands/boycott a few seasons back as I recall.

Why? I'm sure I read it somewhere but I forgot.
    #NashvilleStrong

Why? I'm sure I read it somewhere but I forgot.
    There are 10 Minnesota players suspended for the bowl game, and the rest of the team is boycotting in support of the suspended players, I guess. Why they were suspended, no one is saying for sure.

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/w...ycott-endures/

Northern Illinois is next in line for the Holiday Bowl bid if the Minnesota Gophers boycott the game

The University of Minnesota football team announced Thursday night that it has boycotted all football activities in protest of the school’s suspensions of 10 players in relation to a Title IX investigation.

Senior receiver Drew Wolitarsky said the boycott was a “day by day” matter, but did not rule out the possibility that it might extend to the Gophers’ Holiday Bowl game against Washington State on Dec. 27.

However, if the boycott continues, the Holiday Bowl will need to find a new team to play the Cougars, and according to multiple reports, including one from ESPN.com’s Brett McMurphy, Northern Illinois of the MAC would be the next team in line for a bowl bid based on NCAA APR scores.

Northern Illinois traveled to San Diego, Calif. for its bowl game last season, when it lost to Boise State in the Poinsettia Bowl, but it has never played in the Holiday Bowl.

McMurphy wrote late Thursday night that Northern Illinois, which finished the regular season 5-7, would “likely” accept an invitation to play in the Holiday Bowl if a decision is reached within the next 48 hours, by Saturday night.

However, the NCAA’s Football Oversight Committee would have to officially approve the Huskies’ addition to the Holiday Bowl, should Minnesota decide not to play.

Northern Illinois would, however, go into the bowl game at a disadvantage. For one, it will have about a week to make the logistical arrangements necessary to get the entire football team down to San Diego. The Huskies held their graduation ceremonies last weekend, and some players have already left campus, McMurphy reported.

The Huskies would also have to face WSU on two weeks less practice time.

More on the "why": http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2016/1...stigation.html

Minn. football players 'blindsided' by suspensions after sex assault investigation

Buford, Hardin, Dior Johnson and Tamarion Johnson were suspended earlier this season for violating team rules after a woman accused them of sexual assault. No criminal charges were ever filed and the players were then reinstated. But the woman went to court and took out restraining orders barring the athletes from TCF Bank Stadium. Both sides eventually reached an agreement after the woman testified, detailing a graphic encounter with multiple players.

These latest indefinite suspensions are a result of an internal University of Minnesota investigation into the allegations, conducted by the Office of Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action. Some of the 10 Gophers players are facing not just team suspensions but expulsion from the university.

Buford's father said his understanding is that the number of players grew to double digits because of their proximity to what allegedly happened during the alleged sexual assault. He insists his son will continue to fight.

"If you can be tried for the same thing -- this is like the 4th different entity -- the more you go at something, the better the success rate is,” Buford said.

Lee Hutton, the attorney representing the players, told Fox 9 the suspensions are the result of a decision made by a single university investigator as part of a Title IX investigation. He said he believes the accuser was shown to be unreliable, noting the accuser pleaded the fifth in a related restraining order hearing.

Quote Originally Posted by The Gold Standard View Post
    There are 10 Minnesota players suspended for the bowl game, and the rest of the team is boycotting in support of the suspended players, I guess. Why they were suspended, no one is saying for sure.
    In 2007, Florida State was scheduled to come to the Music City Bowl, when news broke of campus-wide academic misconduct. Pretty much their whole football team was suspended. They brought players that weren't on the depth chart, and who knows where they came from. They might have suited up any nerd with a certifiable passing GPA. They didn't win, but they weren't slaughtered. Kentucky was the defending champion and media darlings, but they were a bit nervous, too. They pulled out a win, but they were really better than they showed on the field.
    #NashvilleStrong

Dankes Gophers . Figures . They had a good season too but they cannot beat my Hoosiers
    Do something Danke

31. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Minnesota players decided to end their boycott. http://www.cbssports.com/college-foo...at-to-boycott/

As a team, we understand that what has occurred these past few days, and playing football for the University of Minnesota, is larger than just us. ...

We now ask that you, the members of the media, our fans, and the general public hold all of us accountable for ensuring that our teammates are treated fairly, along with any and all victims of sexual assault. We also ask that the public dialogue related to the apparent lack of due process in a university system is openly discussed and evaluated.

As football players, we know that we represent this University and this state and that we are held to a higher standard. We want to express our deepest gratitude to our coaching staff and so many others for their support during this difficult time, and we hope that our fans and community understand why we took the actions that we did.

Our thoughts and prayers are for the well-being of the woman involved in the original incident, and for our 10 teammates to ensure that they are treated fairly. We look forward to representing the University of Minnesota and the state of Minnesota in the Holiday Bowl in a way that makes all of you proud.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-17-2016 at 12:42 PM.

In Basketball today , I am expecting big games from the Jaspers and South Florida . My Hoosiers have a very tough game @ 5:00 .
    Do something Danke

Houston up 10 - 0 early over San Diego St.
    Do something Danke

Nooo! Colorado Defensive Coordinator Takes Job With Oregon- this could have a huge impact on Colorado for the future. Jim Leavett came here in 2015- just after a season where Colorado's defense was ranked #120 in the country and is now #8 after just two seasons with him. Defense has been a major part of Colorado's "Rise" as they have called their climb back into being a ranked football team.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...ve-coordinator

When Leavitt arrived at Colorado in 2015, the Buffs were coming off a season in which they ranked No. 120 nationally by giving up 6.6 yards per play. This season, Colorado has climbed to No. 8 in the national rankings, allowing only 4.7 yards per play. The Buffs are tied with Michigan and Ohio State for the national lead in pass defense, allowing 5.4 yards per attempt.

This is all welcome news for Oregon, which allowed 41.4 points and 518 yards per game in 2016, both the third-worst figures in the nation.
    Colorado defense has had issues against the run though- as their game against Washington for the Pac12 Championship clearly showed. CU lose eight starters on defense after this season.

Leavitt served as the San Francisco 49ers' linebackers coach under Jim Harbaugh from 2011 to 2014.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 12-17-2016 at 04:09 PM.

Page 22 of 27 FirstFirst ... 122021222324 ... LastLast