Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unions; Then and Now

Question Unions; Then and Now

Today, unions are frowned upon for being bloated organizations that stifle free market progress.

In public school, I learned that Unions fought for worker's right to weekends and safe working conditions. If this is true then obviously unions served a benefit to workers in the early 1900s. Could workers demand these terms from their employers in a free market without the unions?

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Workers could of course make those demands...unions perhaps make those demands a lot more ironed and powerful.

In general, unions greatly benefit workers, but hurt the producer and hurt the customer. So in that sense, they are impeding a market's progress. On the other hand, workers with great benefits are able to purchase more goods, and perhaps become part of the producer class themselves...so in that way, they are enhancing the economy.

Unions started out as a worthy endeavor. Individuals got together to boycott a business or industry by using their labor to produce as a bargaining chip. Then some of those individuals said "Ya know I'm pretty good at this drawing people together and bargaining $#@!. It beats a 12-hr. day at the smelter. And these mooks are so thankful to me for getting them these concessions they'd probably give me some of their pay each payday." and so they went about creating a permanent structure. And then these individuals decided that not only do they have a membership they also have a voting block. And then these corporations said "Well, $#@!." We're gonna have to do something about this and they bought of the leadership. Around this time crime families also got into the business. And so with all this power the sons and grandsons of the individuals that started this business are prospering quite well as a "middle man."
    That's how I understand it anyway.

The right to assemble and organize is great for liberty. Mandatory participation and payments of union dues is not great for liberty and has obviously lead to the abuse of power and corruption.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

Government unions.

Nuff said.

Supporting Member
    Phoenix, AZ

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea View Post
    The right to assemble and organize is great for liberty. Mandatory participation and payments of union dues is not great for liberty and has obviously lead to the abuse of power and corruption.
    This.

Nothing else really needs to be said.
    Citizen of Arizona
    @cleaner4d4

I am a libertarian. I am advocating everyone enjoy maximum freedom on both personal and economic issues as long as they do not bring violence unto others.

Quote Originally Posted by Son_of_Liberty90 View Post
    Today, unions are frowned upon for being bloated organizations that stifle free market progress.

In public school, I learned that Unions fought for worker's right to weekends and safe working conditions. If this is true then obviously unions served a benefit to workers in the early 1900s. Could workers demand these terms from their employers in a free market without the unions?
    You sure could and if you were valuable enough to the employer they might even listen. But in general I think if the employer isn't offering work conditions that you like you should probably just GTFO. The idea of refusing to do the work that one is employed for and then proceeding to march around out front of the establishment AS IF you still have a job seems silly to me. At that point the employer should be putting an ad in the paper and the former employee should be picking up a paper to search for a new job. Not that they can't march around like bozos if the property owner lets them... but it is not a proper way to interact with people. It is no different than a consumer screaming and hollering that a business shouldn't charge some amount for goods. Accept it or go.

I think modern day staffing agencies could serve the function much better in a free market. The union view views everyone as equal... with those that have been there the longest being the most equal. Whereas we know this is not true, different people will have different desires for safety precautions, work week, and wages. And thus it fails both the employer and the employee. A staffing agency functions with much more individuality though. So instead of a prospective employee having to do 10's or 100's of interviews to find a employer that provides working conditions and wages that are satisfactory to them they could go to a staffing agency that has contact with many businesses of differing working conditions and wages and pair them with an employer that fits their needs. And should the employer not provide the working conditions agreed to the employee could find work elsewhere through the staffing agency so as to be able to 'speak with their feet' with relative ease.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    You sure could and if you were valuable enough to the employer they might even listen. But in general I think if the employer isn't offering work conditions that you like you should probably just GTFO. The idea of refusing to do the work that one is employed for and then proceeding to march around out front of the establishment AS IF you still have a job seems silly to me. At that point the employer should be putting an ad in the paper and the former employee should be picking up a paper to search for a new job. Not that they can't march around like bozos if the property owner lets them... but it is not a proper way to interact with people. It is no different than a consumer screaming and hollering that a business shouldn't charge some amount for goods. Accept it or go.

I think modern day staffing agencies could serve the function much better in a free market. The union view views everyone as equal... with those that have been there the longest being the most equal. Whereas we know this is not true, different people will have different desires for safety precautions, work week, and wages. And thus it fails both the employer and the employee. A staffing agency functions with much more individuality though. So instead of a prospective employee having to do 10's or 100's of interviews to find a employer that provides working conditions and wages that are satisfactory to them they could go to a staffing agency that has contact with many businesses of differing working conditions and wages and pair them with an employer that fits their needs. And should the employer not provide the working conditions agreed to the employee could find work elsewhere through the staffing agency so as to be able to 'speak with their feet' with relative ease.
    Unions don't work for every industry. Which is what you're pointing out. I would say unions should not be allowed for monopolies like government. But in my industry, safety is a big factor. And unions provide that nexus when dealing with the employer and bean counters. The customer doesn't realize it, but they are much safer flying on a unionized airline. Other airlines (employees and customers) that are not unionized also benefit from what the union airlines throughout the years have lobbied for wrt safety.

In my particular industry, airmail pilots were forced to fly in bad weather and other conditions and many died. That is why they unionized.
    Last edited by Danke; 10-01-2016 at 10:41 PM.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Unions don't work for every industry. Which is what you're pointing out. I would say unions should not be allowed for monopolies like government. But in my industry, safety is a big factor. And unions provide that nexus when dealing with the employer and bean counters. The customer doesn't realize it, but they are much safer flying on a unionized airline. Other airlines (employees and customers) that are not unionized also benefit from what the union airlines throughout the years have lobbied for wrt safety.

In my particular industry, airmail pilots were forced to fly in bad weather and other conditions and many died. That is why they unionized.
    I really don't see it as any different. There are probably less piloting jobs than manufacturing jobs but if you don't want to fly in poor weather find another piloting job that suits your needs or find a new career.

In practice, if no pilots were willing to accept a similar job through a staffing agency the employer would be put in the same position. Making demands to an employer is improper just as making demands to an individual on how to use their property is improper.

Quote Originally Posted by P3ter_Griffin View Post
    I really don't see it as any different. There are probably less piloting jobs than manufacturing jobs but if you don't want to fly in poor weather find another piloting job that suits your needs or find a new career.

In practice, if no pilots were willing to accept a similar job through a staffing agency the employer would be put in the same position. Making demands to an employer is improper just as making demands to an individual on how to use their property is improper.
    So you would be OK with airships (that includes drones, nuclear weapons carrying airplanes or fuel tankers, etc.) flying over your home unregulated? Well, sorry, you are a small minority.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Short Income Tax Video

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

So you would be OK with airships (that includes drones, nuclear weapons carrying airplanes or fuel tankers, etc.) flying over your home unregulated? Well, sorry, you are a small minority.
    I claim my air space . No one may enter without permission . Permission requires a Toll .
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I claim my air space . No one may enter without permission . Permission requires a Toll .
    How will you enforce your claim to that airspace, Injun?
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

How will you enforce your claim to that airspace, Injun?
    I am working on my armed drone toll collector
    Do something Danke

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    I am working on my armed drone toll collector
    Oyarde trying to enforce his toll collection:

Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Sure they could. The better question is could unions survive without government help?

I'm not in Danke's field so I can't speak to that, but in my industry (non-residential construction,) unions would die tomorrow without government intervention.
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by BamaAla View Post
    Sure they could. The better question is could unions survive without government help?

I'm not in Danke's field so I can't speak to that, but in my industry (non-residential construction,) unions would die tomorrow without government intervention.
    It really depends on what you consider government interference. For example, there was a classic case during a strike by GM workers in the 50s. The government largely stayed out of it. GM tried to intimidate and threaten the workers; they appealed to the government and the government stayed out of it. The workers took over the factory, and the owners appealed to the government, and the government stayed out of it. When GM hired a "private army", a collection of mob men and goons to attack the factory (reclaim their property), the governor sent in the national guard to prevent the attack.

The governor (whose name slips my mind) defended his decision by saying that threats, intimidation, and sit-ins were just a regular part of a strike; of a dispute between management and workers. But he saw actual violence as crossing a line.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I think death can come in so many fashions that making an honest attempt at regulating away accidental death would be very disturbing. There are people more well thought out on the subject than me here but I find that there is a difference between negligent action that causes death and action that is taken in good faith that results in death, and that the difference in how the individuals guilty of the separate actions are treated would essentially act as the 'regulation'.

I never knew airmail was sent on its own plane. Always figured it was stowed somewhere on a passenger plane.
    I am the spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr.No. View Post
    It really depends on what you consider government interference. For example, there was a classic case during a strike by GM workers in the 50s. The government largely stayed out of it. GM tried to intimidate and threaten the workers; they appealed to the government and the government stayed out of it. The workers took over the factory, and the owners appealed to the government, and the government stayed out of it. When GM hired a "private army", a collection of mob men and goons to attack the factory (reclaim their property), the governor sent in the national guard to prevent the attack.

The governor (whose name slips my mind) defended his decision by saying that threats, intimidation, and sit-ins were just a regular part of a strike; of a dispute between management and workers. But he saw actual violence as crossing a line.
    Government intervention = blocking right to work
    ROLL TIDE ROLL!!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Workers could of course make those demands...unions perhaps make those demands a lot more ironed and powerful.

In general, unions greatly benefit workers, but hurt the producer and hurt the customer. So in that sense, they are impeding a market's progress. On the other hand, workers with great benefits are able to purchase more goods, and perhaps become part of the producer class themselves...so in that way, they are enhancing the economy.
    Just like most cartels, it benefits the people/entities lucky enough to gain membership but for the most part, it hurts everyone outside it. If the unions greatly benefited most workers, you wouldn't need govt laws to protect it.

Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    Just like most cartels, it benefits the people/entities lucky enough to gain membership but for the most part, it hurts everyone outside it. If the unions greatly benefited most workers, you wouldn't need govt laws to protect it.
    Meh, that is a nice line, but I am not sure how true that is. We all benefited from the 5-day workweek, overtime pay, PTO, sick leave, other benefits, etc. These things tend to trickle down, if you will.

Meh, that is a nice line, but I am not sure how true that is. We all benefited from the 5-day workweek, overtime pay, PTO, sick leave, other benefits, etc. These things tend to trickle down, if you will.
    Maybe you did......

I own a shop and it's not possible for me to employ anyone else what with all the government rules-n-regulations.

Fie on working for any company!

Whaddabout governments "employees"? How do you feel about them and their unions? How about government mandates that GSA suppliers be unionized?

Oyarde trying to enforce his toll collection:

I thought I would use your place as one of my bases of operation , maybe cut you in on my spoils .
    Do something Danke

All that stuff you talk as benefit from the unions did not really come about due to unions. American society for whatever reason became more prosperous and mechanized economy(none of it is because of unions) and that is why you have 5 day work week, overtime pay, PTO, sick leave, laws against child labor, work place safety laws etc etc. Take the prosperity away and I promise you all those benefits could disappear with it.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by juleswin View Post
    All that stuff you talk as benefit from the unions did not really come about due to unions. American society for whatever reason became more prosperous and mechanized economy(none of it is because of unions) and that is why you have 5 day work week, overtime pay, PTO, sick leave, laws against child labor, work place safety laws etc etc. Take the prosperity away and I promise you all those benefits could disappear with it.
    Perhaps. Maybe unions are the mechanism workers used to extract those benefits from the market? Unions were the mechanism for workers to get a share of that prosperity for themselves. You could even argue that unions themselves are a consequence of the free market...labor decided unions were the best way to get those benefits.

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    I never knew airmail was sent on its own plane. Always figured it was stowed somewhere on a passenger plane.
    Before passenger travel, airlines operated an airmail service. It was later developed into scheduled passenger service. Now, passenger airlines do carry mail also. But much is on dedicated cargo carriers like UPS and FedeEx. Cargo carriers also can carry some hazardous material that passenger carriers cannot.
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Short Income Tax Video

Quote Originally Posted by John F Kennedy III View Post
    Thats how it started out . The gold transfers now fly on a plane by itself.
    Do something Danke

Funny, I have none of those benefits.

"We need more high paying jobs!" Those jobs in the past have generally fallen into two categories.
    1) government jobs
    2) union jobs

I think this discussion highlights the importance for a family compound that can take care of yourself and your loved ones for times that the labor market isn't offering anything acceptable to you. More than any training the ability to provide for yourself gives you the greatest leverage in labor negotiations.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast