Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fedbook satellite blows up on launchpad.

Exclamation Fedbook satellite blows up on launchpad.

Awwww...

And if this was any other company other than another Musk misadventure, they would be calling for his head on a stick.

A SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket just exploded at Cape Canaveral, destroying Facebook’s Internet.org satellite

https://techcrunch.com/2016/09/01/a-...ape-canaveral/

According to numerous eyewitness reports, a SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket just exploded during a test on a launch pad at Cape Canaveral. This rocket was set to launch on Saturday, Sept. 3 on a mission to deliver Facebook’s first satellite to orbit.

This rocket was scheduled to launch the Amos-6 communication satellite, which among other functions included the capabilities for Facebook to spot-beam broadband for Facebook’s Internet.org initiative. Facebook and France-based satellite provider Eutelsat spent $95 million for a five-year lease on the satellite’s Ka-band communication array.

“We are disappointed by the loss but remain committed to our mission of connecting people to the Internet around the world,” a Facebook spokesperson said in a statement.

The local county emergency management office states there is no threat to the general public in the surrounding areas.
    “Civilizations die from suicide, not by murder.” - Arnold Toynbee

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    Awwww...

And if this was any other company other than another Musk misadventure, they would be calling for his head on a stick.
    Wonder who will pay for this accident? An insurance company? The government? Either way, it will be other customers or taxpayers...
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

A single brick of the walled garden failed to work as expected. Another replacement brick will be along shortly. Make no mistake, they will finish their walled garden and force all to live within its confines.
    1776 > 1984

The FAILURE of the United States Government to operate and maintain an
    Honest Money System , which frees the ordinary man from the clutches of the money manipulators, is the single largest contributing factor to the World's current Economic Crisis.

The Elimination of Privacy is the Architecture of Genocide

Belief, Money, and Violence are the three ways all people are controlled

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Our central bank is not privately owned.

On the one hand, sad for Spacex. On the other hand, since it's a satellite for FB...lol j/k

But seriously, hope this doesn't set back Spacex too much. They are planning on landing on mars in 9 years!

1- why would they be doing an engine test with payload on the rocket? Don't they actually load the payload on last while it's on the pad?

2- I think they always build redundant satellites for this reason
    __________________________________________________ ________________
    "A politician will do almost anything to keep their job, even become a patriot" - Hearst

Why do we take such pleasure in a private sector mishap? (ok, pseudo-private sector)

Do we get the same joy when a gubmint rocket goes boom?
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

"It is difficult to free fools from the chains they revere." - Voltaire

USA: Footage captures moment of SpaceX rocket explosion

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptUSA View Post
    Why do we take such pleasure in a private sector mishap? (ok, pseudo-private sector)

Because this mishap involves one of the most arrogant+overhyped companies + one of the most Orwellian.

We realize the government is incompetent, and moments like these make us feel like we're not completely screwed, yet.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

I can promise you some of my money blew up out there today. Better it blows up there then in some kid's bedroom in Syria.

Quote Originally Posted by staerker View Post
    Because this mishap involves one of the most arrogant+overhyped companies + one of the most Orwellian.

We realize the government is incompetent, and moments like these make us feel like we're not completely screwed, yet.
    Bingo.

I despise Elon Musk and his outfit.

If it was any other car company, with exploding battery packs, failing critical front end parts, "self driving" systems that crash, wildly expensive and all the rest, they would be sued out of business.

Look at VW, who did nothing wrong but produce cars that drove and performed like people wanted them to and delivered phenomenal fuel economy.

They are on the hook for up to 50 BILLION in fines from a furious Uncle Sucker, who is livid that anybody dared had the temerity to hoodwink the US Goonverment.

This will probably bankrupt them.

Meanwhile, Musk gets a pass because his business model is the template of Mussolini style crony fascism.

$#@! him and his outfit.

And $#@! a bunch of spying ass fedbook as well.

Hope every one of their satellites blow up

If it was any other car company, with exploding battery packs, failing critical front end parts, "self driving" systems that crash, wildly expensive and all the rest, they would be sued out of business.

Look at VW, who did nothing wrong but produce cars that drove and performed like people wanted them to and delivered phenomenal fuel economy.

They are on the hook for up to 50 BILLION in fines from a furious Uncle Sucker, who is livid that anybody dared had the temerity to hoodwink the US Goonverment.

Meanwhile, Musk gets a pass because his business model is the template of Mussolini style crony fascism.

$#@! him and his outfit.

Pass the donation plates, amen.

$#@! him and his outfit.

Yeah, this is what perplexes me. You see, we like the idea of privatization, but then when someone steps up to provide the tools for privatization, they are met with derision.

Musk has stepped into 3 of the MOST regulated industries and has tried to compete: Automotive, Energy, and Space.

Automotive: Yes, he takes government loans and goes where there are preferential tax treatment, but on the whole, he takes far less than his competitors. And we are not sending our sons to die and to kill brown people for battery-powered cars. And he has developed a market appetite, and investors, for an alternative to gas cars. The waiting lists for these cars is impressive - which have been noticed by other car companies. VW's issue was that they didn't bribe the politicians enough. Musk doesn't have to bribe them; he has a product that make certain constituencies feel good. His lobbying gives certain politicians a feather in their cap with their voters. Unsavory, yes. But better than the alternative.

Energy: The electric utility model in this country hasn't changed in over 100 years. Why? Because it is completely regulated. Musk's companies are introducing the tools that should allow people to go off-grid, or at least use the grid as a two-way street. This introduces more suppliers in the way of distributed generation and storage. Again, any subsidies he receives are far lower than his competitors.

Space: This was an industry that was not only regulated, competition was forbidden. There was a time when libertarians really wanted to privatize the space industry. In order to break into this arena, however, Musk had to go after the government since they were the only ones in business. So, he acted as a sub-contractor. Obviously, this isn't an ideal way to deregulation, but it's working. Now private companies are utilizing his services and doing so without bribing politicians to get their payload into space (although, the feds still demand $$ and oversight over everything that goes up).

In other words, if crony capitalism was the real reason for your despisement, then you should see that the way Musk is doing business is leading to LESS cronyism. Again, I know it's not pure and I know it's not savory, but he's operating within the current structure. The cronyists have a stranglehold on many industries. If you want to break into that, you have to operate within the system. Otherwise, you will not be able to compete - the cronyists have developed a structure to avoid that.

Let's face it, AF. Your real problem with Musk is that you fear technological change. But not because the change is bad - but because the way government uses the change in technology to further control people. I aim my fire at the government and not at the technology. In my mind, the technology can actually make us MORE free - we just need to get the government's paws off of it. Musk's companies are giving us the tools for that.
    "And now that the legislators and do-gooders have so futilely inflicted so many systems upon society, may they finally end where they should have begun: May they reject all systems, and try liberty; for liberty is an acknowledgment of faith in God and His works." - Bastiat

Quote Originally Posted by JusticeBob View Post
    On the one hand, sad for Spacex. On the other hand, since it's a satellite for FB...lol j/k

But seriously, hope this doesn't set back Spacex too much. They are planning on landing on mars in 9 years!
    We've been to Mars.
    I am the spoon.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

Ugh. See above, please.

Ugh. See above, please.

See what? Your opinion? I don't give a flying $#@! about your opinion.
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-02-2016 at 11:26 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    See what? Your opinion? I don't give a flying $#@! about your opinion.
    $4.9 Billion in all 3 industries over many years vs. roughly $37.5 Billion annual subsidies given in just one industry to his competitors. (not counting blood, of course) Yeah, that's just an opinion...

You're falling for the cronyists' games. "Hey, look at that guy!!!"

You're falling for the cronyists' games. "Hey, look at that guy!!!"
    No, I'm not. "that guy" is the topic.

No, I'm not. "that guy" is the topic.
    Uh yeah, but when "that guy's" subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to his competitors, you'd think some context would be in order. Hell, another and more honest way to state the same data would be, "look how much less Musk's companies receive in subsidies compared to the rest". But no... You're focusing on the drop instead of the bucket because it suits your narrative. Which, by the way, is coincidently the narrative of the cronyists.

Uh yeah, but when "that guy's" subsidies are a drop in the bucket compared to his competitors, you'd think some context would be in order. Hell, another and more honest way to state the same data would be, "look how much less Musk's companies receive in subsidies compared to the rest". But no... You're focusing on the drop instead of the bucket because it suits your narrative. Which, by the way, is coincidently the narrative of the cronyists.
    So you don't want to stay on topic, then? Why not?

So you don't want to stay on topic, then? Why not?
    Just placing the topic in the proper context. I asked the question earlier in the thread about why we take more pleasure in Musk's failures compared to others. It would seem that it's because he is a threat to very entrenched interests. These interests have labeled him some sort of tax leech while ignoring their own leechiness. And many people have taken that label and ran with it - even though in comparison to the rest of his industries, he's the least leechy.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Just placing the topic in the proper context.
    No, you're not. You're projecting. Proper context would be to discuss the cost of the rocket Musk just blew up at tax payers expense.

I asked the question earlier in the thread about why we take more pleasure in Musk's failures compared to others.
    What's this we stuff? You got a mouse in your pocket?

It would seem that it's because he is a threat to very entrenched interests.
    Based on what? Your projection?

These interests have labeled him some sort of tax leech while ignoring their own leechiness.
    You've just created a victim out of thin air.

And many people have taken that label and ran with it
    Looks like you're the only one running with this narrative in the thread.

even though in comparison to the rest of his industries, he's the least leechy.
    Do you feel better now?
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 09-02-2016 at 12:52 PM.

Other than cool cell phones that play Pokemon GO, there have been NO significant technological advances that move humanity forward since the 70s. The SpaceX rocket sea barge landings are probably the most exciting and hopeful thing I've experienced since the tech bubble burst.

I am so thankful Musk is aggressive muscling his way through the bureaucracy to make SOMETHING happen. He's pushing forward in such an aggressive way that it's making waves in all areas of society.

Earth is an ever-swelling pustule that is about to pop. We need to get off this rock, and fast. I hope and pray Musk's aggressive efforts to break us through this sustained technological wall inspire others.

If your dream is to retire to some land in the middle of Montana where people will leave you alone, I'm sure Musk's efforts seem wrong-headed. I on the other hand have progeny to think about.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Other than cool cell phones that play Pokemon GO, there have been NO significant technological advances that move humanity forward since the 70s. The SpaceX rocket sea barge landings are probably the most exciting and hopeful thing I've experienced since the tech bubble burst.

I am so thankful Musk is aggressive muscling his way through the bureaucracy to make SOMETHING happen. He's pushing forward in such an aggressive way that it's making waves in all areas of society.

Earth is an ever-swelling pustule that is about to pop. We need to get off this rock, and fast. I hope and pray Musk's aggressive efforts to break us through this sustained technological wall inspire others.

If your dream is to retire to some land in the middle of Montana where people will leave you alone, I'm sure Musk's efforts seem wrong-headed. I on the other hand have progeny to think about.
    When's the last time you bought a tv made in America?

When's the last time you bought a tv made in America?
    Good to see you agree with me. +rep
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

Just placing the topic in the proper context. I asked the question earlier in the thread about why we take more pleasure in Musk's failures compared to others. It would seem that it's because he is a threat to very entrenched interests. These interests have labeled him some sort of tax leech while ignoring their own leechiness. And many people have taken that label and ran with it - even though in comparison to the rest of his industries, he's the least leechy.
    The entrenched interests are protecting him.

The government media has nothing but swooning, positive stories about him, where if it had been any other evil company, they would have landed on it with both feet, like VW, for instance.

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    Earth is an ever-swelling pustule that is about to pop. We need to get off this rock, and fast.

That attitude and outlook is the single most damaging and dangerous thing you could possibly leave for your progeny.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast