Thread: Consumer confidence hits 12-month high in August

Consumer confidence hits 12-month high in August

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/...gust/89564098/

Consumer confidence surged to a 12-month high in August as strong job gains and low gasoline prices more than offset uncertainty over the presidential election and weak economic growth.

The Conference Board’s index of Americans’ views of the economy and labor market rose to 101.1 from a downwardly revised 96.7 in July as their assessment of current conditions and their six-month outlook both improved. Economists surveyed by Bloomberg expected a dip.

Monthly job growth averaged 273,000 in June and July, bouncing back resoundingly from a two-month slump. Meanwhile gasoline prices have edged up this year but remain low, with unleaded regular at $2.21 a gallon, according to AAA. And while stocks have been volatile, they’re hovering near all-time highs.

In August, 30% of those surveyed said business conditions are “good,” up from 27.3%. And 26% said jobs were “plentiful,” compared to 23% in July.

Their short-term outlook also brightened, with the share expecting business conditions to improve rising to 17.3% from 15.7%. And 14.2% expect more jobs over the next six months, up from 13.5%, while 18.8% believe their incomes will increase, up from 17.1%.

The housing market could benefit from the stepped-up optimism. as 6.4% of Americans plan to buy a home in the next six months, the highest level since January. About half intend to buy an appliance, the most since May. But the portion planning to buy a car fell to a 10-month low of 11%.

Consumer confidence can serve as a signal of future household spending, which makes up 70% of economic activity.

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Almost as high as it was in 2007, and that worked out sooooo well.

Excellent ! Does this mean I am to finally expect a nice Christmas gift from Danke ?

Quote Originally Posted by oyarde View Post
    Excellent ! Does this mean I am to finally expect a nice Christmas gift from Danke ?
    Not during this depression with 60 million Americans standing in breadlines. (Food stamps)
    Pfizer Macht Frei!

Openly Straight Man, Danke, Awarded Top Rated Influencer. Community Standards Enforcer.

Quiz: Test Your "Income" Tax IQ!

Short Income Tax Video

The Income Tax Is An Excise, And Excise Taxes Are Privilege Taxes

The Federalist Papers, No. 15:

Except as to the rule of appointment, the United States have an indefinite discretion to make requisitions for men and money; but they have no authority to raise either by regulations extending to the individual citizens of America.

Quote Originally Posted by Danke View Post
    Not during this depression with 60 million Americans standing in breadlines. (Food stamps)
    I personally OK you not supporting those on welfare and buying me a drink with your savings . Just make a notation on the bottom for the IRS , they know me .