Thread: Could the Paleo diet save YOU from a heart attack? Just eight weeks of eating like a cave man

Could the Paleo diet save YOU from a heart attack? Just eight weeks of eating like a cave man

Could the Paleo diet save YOU from a heart attack? Just eight weeks of eating like a cave man 'dramatically cuts blockages in your arteries'

By Mia De Graaf For Dailymail.com

Published: 14:53 EST, 29 August 2016

The Paleo diet could cut your risk of a heart attack in just eight weeks, new research claims.

Within two months of living off food that a cave man could eat, participants in a new clinical study saw a dramatic improvement in their health.

The findings will be presented at next week's national heart disease conference.

Though the study was small, it has been hailed by experts in the field as a sign that small dietary changes can have a staggering impact on our well-being.

And it would be the first major study to show concrete benefits of the diet, which has been popular for decades.

The study by the University of Houston Laboratory of Integrative Physiology involved eight healthy people.

All of the participants, who normally eat a Western diet, switched to the Paleo diet.

The diet is based on eating foods thought to be available to our ancestors during the Paleolithic era, before the advent of dairy or processed grains.

The participants received a sample Paleo diet menu, a recipe guide, and some advice on how to incorporate the diet into their everyday lives.

They were told to eat as much or as little food as they wanted during that time.

All eight of the participants experienced a 35 per cent increase in levels of interlukin-10 (IL-10).

IL-10 is a crucial molecule produced by immune cells that combats inflammation and provides protection for blood vessels.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-arteries.html
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Um, only 8 participants?! What exact foods were they given? What was the macro makeup? How many calories were they given? And how come all civilizations who ate a high carb low fat grain based diet rarely got heart disease? Weird.

Here's what happens when put on a plant based diet when you already have heart disease:

http://www.dresselstyn.com/site/study03/

It wasn't necessarily a meat based diet but a varied foods diet- including fruits and vegetables. And yes, only eight participants is too small to draw any conclusions from.

And it would be the first major study to show concrete benefits of the diet, which has been popular for decades.
    meaning either there are no other major studies or other major studies showed zero concrete benefits. Eight subjects over eight weeks does not qualify as a "major study".
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-30-2016 at 12:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by donnay View Post
    Could the Paleo diet save YOU from a heart attack? Just eight weeks of eating like a cave man 'dramatically cuts blockages in your arteries'

By Mia De Graaf For Dailymail.com

Published: 14:53 EST, 29 August 2016

The Paleo diet could cut your risk of a heart attack in just eight weeks, new research claims.

Within two months of living off food that a cave man could eat, participants in a new clinical study saw a dramatic improvement in their health.

The findings will be presented at next week's national heart disease conference.

Though the study was small, it has been hailed by experts in the field as a sign that small dietary changes can have a staggering impact on our well-being.

The study by the University of Houston Laboratory of Integrative Physiology involved eight healthy people.

All of the participants, who normally eat a Western diet, switched to the Paleo diet.

The diet is based on eating foods thought to be available to our ancestors during the Paleolithic era, before the advent of dairy or processed grains.

The participants received a sample Paleo diet menu, a recipe guide, and some advice on how to incorporate the diet into their everyday lives.

They were told to eat as much or as little food as they wanted during that time.

All eight of the participants experienced a 35 per cent increase in levels of interlukin-10 (IL-10).

IL-10 is a crucial molecule produced by immune cells that combats inflammation and provides protection for blood vessels.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/ar...-arteries.html

I think it needs to be repeated one more time:

"Though the study was small, it has been hailed by experts in the field as a sign that small dietary changes can have a staggering impact on our well-being."
    Last edited by donnay; 08-30-2016 at 07:55 PM.
    “The spirits of darkness are now among us. We have to be on guard so that we may realize what is happening when we encounter them and gain a real idea of where they are to be found. The most dangerous thing you can do in the immediate future will be to give yourself up unconsciously to the influences which are definitely present.” ~ Rudolf Steiner

Daily Mail click bait article (they print those all the time). Not a significant study. Though I would agree that improving your diet can help improve your health.
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-30-2016 at 01:12 PM.

Only 8 people? No control group?
    Last edited by NotAnIllegalImmigrant; 08-30-2016 at 04:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    It wasn't necessarily a meat based diet but a varied foods diet- including fruits and vegetables. And yes, only eight participants is too small to draw any conclusions from.

That's what Paleo is ^^^. I'm mostly Paleo and I rarely eat more than 6 oz of meat a day.

Meat – GRASS-FED, not grain-fed. Grain causes the same problem in animals as they do in humans.
    Fowl – Chicken, duck, hen, turkey…things with wings that (try to) fly.
    Fish – Wild fish, as mercury and other toxins can be an issue in farmed fish
    Eggs – Look for Omega-3 enriched eggs.
    Vegetables – As long as they’re not deep-fried, eat as many as you want.
    Oils – Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil – think natural.
    Fruits – Have natural sugar, and can be higher in calories, so limit if you’re trying to lose weight.
    Nuts – High in calories, so they’re good for a snack, but don’t eat bags and bags of them.
    Tubers – Sweet potatoes and yams. Higher in calories and carbs, so these are good for right after a workout to replenish your glycogen levels.
    https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/201...he-paleo-diet/
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    That's what Paleo is ^^^. I'm mostly Paleo and I rarely eat more than 6 oz of meat a day.
    I hear heavenlyboy34 eats at least 6 inches of meat a day.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotAnIllegalImmigrant View Post
    I hear heavenlyboy34 eats at least 6 inches of meat a day.
    danke just says that nonsense as his was of flirting with me. :P I'm trying to help him take the hint that I'm not interested in what he has to offer, but he's not getting it. Why you would believe some *** viking, I have no idea. ~shrugs~
    Quote Originally Posted by Torchbearer
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

https://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/201...he-paleo-diet/
    No dairy? The paleo people I've observed use whey protein supplements.
    what works can never be discussed online. there is only one language the government understands, and until the people start speaking it by the magazine full... things will remain the same.
    Hear/buy my music here "government is the enemy of liberty"-RP Support me on Patreon here Ephesians 6:12

Quote Originally Posted by heavenlyboy34 View Post
    danke just says that nonsense as his was of flirting with me. :P I'm trying to help him take the hint that I'm not interested in what he has to offer, but he's not getting it. Why you would believe some *** viking, I have no idea. ~shrugs~

No dairy. There's some argument about whey (not only is it dairy, it's also processed) but I use it (I also sneak a little 1/2 & 1/2 in my coffee, take a bite of ice cream and enjoy a queso dip every once in awhile, too). Personally, I think only the super strict Paleo people avoid it.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

It's not a church or a religion, the original guy who promoted it says no dairy and so it depends on if you are more of a reasonable, fluid person or if you are an absolutist with a stick up your ass - if you are having health problems it is a good idea to try avoiding dairy for some time to see if it causes any issues. But dairy has been available to humans forever but in larger quantities more recently, it's obviously very healthy especially if it is from grass fed animals. Some people who promote the paleo diet say it is ok for most people, as long as it doesn't give them any issues. I don't drink much milk, but if you do a good source of raw grass fed milk would be a good thing to have. I do take a grass-fed whey protein supplement along with a plant-based protein supplement (organic pea/hemp/brown rice/chia seed blend) and both are sweetened lightly with real sugar (3g carbs/serving) and stevia. The plant based one is not totally paleo cuz of the brown rice, I just got it recently so we will see if I stick with it but otherwise it is pretty good.

Grass-fed butter is awesome, a lot of paleo people put it in their coffee.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    It's not a church or a religion, the original guy who promoted it says no dairy and so it depends on if you are more of a reasonable, fluid person or if you are an absolutist with a stick up your ass - if you are having health problems it is a good idea to try avoiding dairy for some time to see if it causes any issues. But dairy has been available to humans forever but in larger quantities more recently, it's obviously very healthy especially if it is from grass fed animals. Some people who promote the paleo diet say it is ok for most people, as long as it doesn't give them any issues. I don't drink much milk, but if you do a good source of raw grass fed milk would be a good thing to have. I do take a grass-fed whey protein supplement along with a plant-based protein supplement (organic pea/hemp/brown rice/chia seed blend) and both are sweetened lightly with real sugar (3g carbs/serving) and stevia. The plant based one is not totally paleo cuz of the brown rice, I just got it recently so we will see if I stick with it but otherwise it is pretty good.

I switched to pea protein recently myself. Orgain brand does the trick for me. I can haz good recovery and gainz with it.

Chester Copperpot

I actually spent a lot of time outside today and went into a bookstore and was surprised at alot of paleo things I saw.. I guess its become popular...

FWIW I never had a problem drinking grass fed/raw milk and cream.... call me a neolithic haha

I've noticed I feel better after getting rid of most dairy. When I indulge in a bit of queso, I feel sick but sometimes my soul needs it. I'm still working on my coffee, though. Right now I'm about 1/2 1/2&1/2 and 1/2 unsweetened coconut milk. I'm trying to switch completely to coconut milk but I miss the creaminess. Have you tried any of the coconut or almond milk creamers? I think I may give them a shot.

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I've noticed I feel better after getting rid of most dairy. When I indulge in a bit of queso, I feel sick but sometimes my soul needs it. I'm still working on my coffee, though. Right now I'm about 1/2 1/2&1/2 and 1/2 unsweetened coconut milk. I'm trying to switch completely to coconut milk but I miss the creaminess. Have you tried any of the coconut or almond milk creamers? I think I may give them a shot.
    I don't drink coffee much anymore, not a big fan of the caffeine in the morning I'd rather have a good sativa. But I put kerrygold grass fed butter and coconut oil in my coffee, then I mix it in with a $5 - $10 electric milk frother you can get on Amazon and the butter makes it creamy and it has a bunch of good stuff in it, and the coconut oil is really healthy too and gives it a good flavor. If you don't use a milk frother to mix it, it will just be an oil slick on top. Take care in mixing, some of the frothers spin pretty hard, better to use a bigger mug.

"He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

I haven't tried any of the coconut or alternative creamers as they all seem to have sugar in them and I do better without sugar in the morning. I have pretty much given up my halfandhalf in my morning coffees and instead use unsweetened vanilla coconut milk; but like you said it lacks that creaminess. I'll still usually put some half and half in my afternoon coffee just cuz its better that way.

I don't drink coffee much anymore, not a big fan of the caffeine in the morning I'd rather have a good sativa. But I put kerrygold grass fed butter and coconut oil in my coffee, then I mix it in with a $5 - $10 electric milk frother you can get on Amazon and the butter makes it creamy and it has a bunch of good stuff in it, and the coconut oil is really healthy too and gives it a good flavor. If you don't use a milk frother to mix it, it will just be an oil slick on top. Take care in mixing, some of the frothers spin pretty hard, better to use a bigger mug.

Sht, dannno. Seems like an awful lot of work over a cup of coffee. Heh. I just drink mine black.

In fact, I'd have to have a cup of black before trying to pull all of that off so early in the morning. I bumble around like a mofo first thing in the morning. Banging into stuff and stepping on my dog and whatnot...
    Last edited by Natural Citizen; 08-31-2016 at 04:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Natural Citizen View Post
    Sht, dannno. Seems like an awful lot of work over a cup of coffee. Heh. I just drink mine black.

In fact, I'd have to have a cup of black before trying to pull all of that off so early in the morning. I bumble around like a mofo first thing in the morning. Banging into stuff and stepping on my dog and whatnot...
    Working on my fourth cuppa............Black-n-thick.

Working on my 1st cup with coconut oil and a dash of maple syrup. Yum!

I tried the coconut oil and it was too greasy. I did buy a frother, though. I get mine (looks just like yours) at Ikea for $1.50.

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    I haven't tried any of the coconut or alternative creamers as they all seem to have sugar in them and I do better without sugar in the morning. I have pretty much given up my halfandhalf in my morning coffees and instead use unsweetened vanilla coconut milk; but like you said it lacks that creaminess. I'll still usually put some half and half in my afternoon coffee just cuz its better that way.
    That's the trouble I'm having - finding one not loaded with sugar.

Chester Copperpot

Im not big coffee drinker by any stretch - never was... Only when Im in an office environment do I really drink it and thats just because theres a coffee maker for everybody else already there and its just convenient to have some with everyone else... that being said Ive tried the butter in coffee thing before... But in all honesty I dont see any benefit in using grass fed butter over grass fed raw cream.. The raw cream tastes superior in my opinion.. Im more of a tea drinker so I do like it in my tea for sure.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Im not big coffee drinker by any stretch - never was... Only when Im in an office environment do I really drink it and thats just because theres a coffee maker for everybody else already there and its just convenient to have some with everyone else... that being said Ive tried the butter in coffee thing before... But in all honesty I dont see any benefit in using grass fed butter over grass fed raw cream.. The raw cream tastes superior in my opinion.. Im more of a tea drinker so I do like it in my tea for sure.
    that's too bad, coffee is a super food. MDA did a big coffee post recently in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    I like tea, too. I especially love the fruity teas. I've been hooked on a peach tea forever but it's a bit pricey.

Meat – GRASS-FED, not grain-fed. Grain causes the same problem in animals as they do in humans.
    Fowl – Chicken, duck, hen, turkey…things with wings that (try to) fly.
    Fish – Wild fish, as mercury and other toxins can be an issue in farmed fish
    Eggs – Look for Omega-3 enriched eggs.
    Vegetables – As long as they’re not deep-fried, eat as many as you want.
    Oils – Olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil – think natural.
    Fruits – Have natural sugar, and can be higher in calories, so limit if you’re trying to lose weight.
    Nuts – High in calories, so they’re good for a snack, but don’t eat bags and bags of them.
    Tubers – Sweet potatoes and yams. Higher in calories and carbs, so these are good for right after a workout to replenish your glycogen levels.
    Um, every food group in that list other the vegetables have higher calories than fruit, so why are they singling out fruit? That girl Freelee eats more fruit than anyone and everyone says she's too skinny.

That's the trouble I'm having - finding one not loaded with sugar.
    No, you need to find one not loaded with fat.

Why would someone on the already high protein paleo diet need to supplement with even more protein?