Thread: Americans Hoarding Black Market Antibiotics

Americans Hoarding Black Market Antibiotics

Of the randomly selected adults in Houston, 5% reported using antibiotics without a prescription in the past 12 months, 14.2% stored them at home in case of an emergency, and a whopping 25.4% said they intended to use antibiotics in an unprescribed manner at some time in the future.

The major source of these rogue antibiotics was not people’s pets; that information was volunteered by just 4% of those surveyed. The rest came from more predictable sources: Twenty percent got them from well-meaning friends or family, 12% said they squirreled them away from the last time they were sick, and 24% said they bought them in another country.

The other survey surprise was that 40% were able to buy antibiotics without a prescription in American pharmacies.

“We thought that was some other country’s problems, not ours. That was an additional surprise,” said Dr. Larissa Grigoryan, who has studied non-doctor-prescribed antibiotic use in other countries and found that Americans tend to hoard more antibiotics than other parts of the world.
    http://philadelphia.cbslocal.com/201...om-their-pets/

#muhprescriptions
    #muhdoctorslicence
    #muhfdaapproval
    #muhmedicalpatent
    #muhhealthcaremandates

=/=

the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility
    Last edited by presence; 08-30-2016 at 08:07 AM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Good that leaves more of the real stuff for people like me. All the dumb asses can go on destroying their immune systems and raising up flesh eating super bugs.

Why are folks "hording antibiotics"?

I see people worried about availability in the future.

https://health.thefuntimesguide.com/...medication.php

A Special Note About Expired Antibiotics

You should not keep expired antibiotics to use at a later date. However, the reason has less to do with the expiration date and more to do with how antibiotics work.

For example, let’s say you have 4 or 5 antibiotic pills left from an older prescription, and you’re thinking that you should keep them and take them later if you start feeling sick again over the winter. This is not a good idea for a number of reasons:

Doing so could actually help the bacteria become more drug resistant.

A few leftover antibiotic pills are not enough to rid the bacteria from your body.

You would be self-diagnosing which can be very dangerous. What you think is a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics (because the symptoms are similar to what you had before) may in fact be a viral infection that antibiotics will do absolutely nothing for.

Therefore, when it comes to expired antibiotics, you should always dispose of any leftover pills or liquid antibiotic prescriptions — regardless of the date on the packaging. Antibiotics are one expired medication you don’t want to mess with.

"A Special Note About Expired Antibiotics

You should not keep expired antibiotics to use at a later date. However, the reason has less to do with the expiration date and more to do with how antibiotics work.

For example, let’s say you have 4 or 5 antibiotic pills left from an older prescription, and you’re thinking that you should keep them and take them later if you start feeling sick again over the winter. This is not a good idea for a number of reasons:

Doing so could actually help the bacteria become more drug resistant.

A few leftover antibiotic pills are not enough to rid the bacteria from your body.

You would be self-diagnosing which can be very dangerous. What you think is a bacterial infection requiring antibiotics (because the symptoms are similar to what you had before) may in fact be a viral infection that antibiotics will do absolutely nothing for.

Therefore, when it comes to expired antibiotics, you should always dispose of any leftover pills or liquid antibiotic prescriptions — regardless of the date on the packaging. Antibiotics are one expired medication you don’t want to mess with."

That's exactly what I did with the leftover oxycodone from my foot surgery... threw it away...
    "Nobody wins in a Dairy Challenge" ~ Kenny Rogers, RIP

"When a man who is honestly mistaken hears the truth, he will either quit being mistaken, or cease to be honest." ~ anonymous

“The fate of all mankind I see
    Is in the hands of fools” ~ King Crimson

Pain killers are a different story from antibiotics.

I can see in a functioning society why individuals might squirrel away antibiotics, but not actually use them. I do. It's because they feel society may break down. There is an underlying current afoot. Whether pain pills or antibiotics many, such as myself, choose to have some on hand. I try to rotate them like the larder but in the end if SHTF tomorrow and I get an infection I wouldn't care if it was 6 months out of date.

Quote Originally Posted by phill4paul View Post
    I can see in a functioning society why individuals might squirrel away antibiotics, but not actually use them. I do. It's because they feel society may break down. There is an underlying current afoot. Whether pain pills or antibiotics many, such as myself, choose to have some on hand. I try to rotate them like the larder but in the end if SHTF tomorrow and I get an infection I wouldn't care if it was 6 months out of date.
    I save all leftover meds for exactly that reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I save all leftover meds for exactly that reason.
    @TheTexan Someone might report you for that. Just saying.

@TheTexan Someone might report you for that. Just saying.
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think the reward money for this just went up. I'll be sure to give you a cut.
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Pain killers are a different story from antibiotics.
    I have so many unused painkillers after my experience this year..I have a huge bottle of liquid oxycodone I never even opened.. I just have to figure out how to get rid of it.. Cant dump it down the drain... cant throw it in the garbage//cant spill it onto the ground....

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    I have so many unused painkillers after my experience this year..I have a huge bottle of liquid oxycodone I never even opened.. I just have to figure out how to get rid of it.. Cant dump it down the drain... cant throw it in the garbage//cant spill it onto the ground....
    Yeah. Let's party. We'll watch TV for a week straight!

Quote Originally Posted by TheTexan View Post
    Thanks for bringing this to my attention. I think the reward money for this just went up. I'll be sure to give you a cut.
    I saved all the safety warnings pamphlets that came with my (and my mother's) meds. Doesn't that count for something?
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Stuff is worth money on the streets.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Stuff is worth money on the streets.
    Yeah I suppose but my dad taught me at a young age that dispensing without a license is against the law. He had a license to prescribe but I dont lol

Yeah I suppose but my dad taught me at a young age that dispensing without a license is against the law. He had a license to prescribe but I dont lol
    Worth hanging on to just in case you throw your back out or get an abscessed tooth over the weekend...

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

I buy fish antibiotics. Put you have to keep them in a cool place and away from the sunlight. Antibiotics last much longer than the suppliers tell you.

Expect a "crack down" shortly.

I stock manuka honey

Take it to the pharmacy

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by Carlybee View Post
    Take it to the pharmacy
    i would do that but I want to make sure my insurance gets refunded their money. im sure its not a common request they get

keep it, it'll last forever

severe pain is a motherfucker and you never know when its coming

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    keep it, it'll last forever

severe pain is a motherfucker and you never know when its coming
    yes Ive been lucky in the pain department, but perhaps you are right.. Be prepared like the boy scouts motto

i would do that but I want to make sure my insurance gets refunded their money. im sure its not a common request they get
    Send it to the insurance company

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    yes Ive been lucky in the pain department, but perhaps you are right.. Be prepared like the boy scouts motto
    Best listen to presence' advise. Honestly. I can't stand oxycodone and it would take a lot of pain for me to use it. But, as a SHTF accessory in a bug-out kit it's as good as gold. Even if just for trading purposes.

Chester Copperpot

Best listen to presence' advise. Honestly. I can't stand oxycodone and it would take a lot of pain for me to use it. But, as a SHTF accessory in a bug-out kit it's as good as gold. Even if just for trading purposes.
    another good point.. im sold.. ill hold on to it.. its a BIG bottle lol