Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is with Women Who Won't Pump Their Own Gas?

Account Restricted. Admin to review account standing

What is with Women Who Won't Pump Their Own Gas?

Christie says that women in New Jersey overwhelming (78%) oppose self service stations. Is this just a Jersey phenomenon?

http://www.nj.com/politics/index.ssf...n_gas_the.html

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.

New Jersey is the only state in the nation to entirely prohibit self-service for one reason: public demand.
    If there was indeed public demand, stations that didn't offer full-service would go out of business as a matter of economic failure. Instead we have the state subsidizing a failed business model by banning their more cost effective competition.

Apparent anti liberty stances of some women obtained by generalizing polled demographic beliefs, hardly constitutes the actual economic preferences of the common woman given choice at the pump.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

Quoted portion comes from a 2000 article. Law dates to 1949.

The real reason self-service gas was banned in NJ: Corruption

<snip>

"It was Irving Reingold who created the crisis that led to the law banning self-serve gasoline. Reingold, a workaholic who took time out only to fly his collection of World War II fighter planes, started the crisis by doing something gas station owners hated: He lowered prices. Fifty-one years ago, gas was selling at 21.9 cents a gallon. The price was rigged by a gentlemen's agreement among gas station owners.

"Reingold decided to offer the consumer a choice by opening up a 24-pump gas station on Route 17 in Hackensack. He offered gas at 18.9 cents a gallon. The only requirement was that drivers pump it themselves. They didn't mind. They lined up for blocks.

"The other gas station operators didn't like the competition. Someone tried shooting up Reingold's station. But he installed bulletproof glass, so the retailers looked for a softer target - the Statehouse. The Gasoline Retailers Association prevailed upon its pals in the Legislature to push through a bill banning self-serve gas. The pretext was safety, but the Hackensack fire chief had already told all who would listen that Rein- gold's operation was perfectly safe.

"The bill sailed through in record time, despite the objections of everyone who cared about the public interest. Journalists howled. "Chalk up another victory for the organized pressure groups," said WOR radio commentator Lyle Van.

"Prices went back up. Reingold got out of gas and moved on to other endeavors, such as revolutionizing the sport-fishing business in Florida with boats that were bigger and more luxurious than anyone had seen.

"He died two years ago. His daughter Roni told me that on his deathbed he was still angry about the way the politicians ran him out of business. It's amazing that New Jersey consumers could still be suffering in the Internet era from a crooked deal that went through in the pre-television era."

And that, boys and girls, is how we got the ban on self-service gas that exists to this day. It's also why we can't get rid of it. Then as now, our Legislature is up for sale to the highest bidder.

The public welfare had nothing to do with it. That's also true of another crooked deal that went through the Legislature in the 1940s. The liquor lobby prevailed upon the politicians they had purchased to enact a statute that prevents towns from creating new licenses. That of course greatly increased the value of the existing licenses, enriching the owners at the expense of the consumers.

But who cares? Not our legislators. They're bought and paid for by the liquor lobby as well as the gas-station owners.

http://www.nj.com/opinion/index.ssf/...ot_safety.html
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-28-2016 at 07:08 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by presence View Post
    New Jersey is the only state in the nation to entirely prohibit self-service for one reason: public demand.
    And yet, it still has some of the cheapest gas prices in the country. Everybody else pays more and pumps their own gas...

Quote Originally Posted by specsaregood View Post
    And yet, it still has some of the cheapest gas prices in the country. Everybody else pays more and pumps their own gas...
    that's mostly because of tax rate

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

This list has them 4th lowest by state. https://www.gasbuddy.com/USA

Glad I don't drive but here in San Diego prices are usually 40 cents or more higher than where my brother lives in Colorado. We are #2 most expensive (behind Hawaii) according to the list.

Tax Foundation says highest gas taxes are in Pennsylvania and Washington (state- not DC). California #5. New Jersey? #49. Alaska is #50. http://taxfoundation.org/blog/state-...tax-rates-2016
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-28-2016 at 07:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Anti Federalist View Post
    This was hilarious! I can't believe that lady had to park her car five times before figuring out which side the gas tank was on.

Oregon also prohibits self-serve. I've had ladies from that state ask me to pump their gas because they honestly didn't know how to pump gas, or were a little scared to try.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    There was a locally owned , several state chain ( Swifty) here that just sold out recently ( owner deceased , estate settlement ) , it always had full service and was the only company offering it . It was also the only place that always had a line .

I don't mind pumping, I like the smell of gas.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ron Paul View Post
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.
    Quote Originally Posted by Origanalist View Post
    This intellectually stimulating conversation is the reason I keep coming here.

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post
    This was hilarious! I can't believe that lady had to park her car five times before figuring out which side the gas tank was on.

Oregon also prohibits self-serve. I've had ladies from that state ask me to pump their gas because they honestly didn't know how to pump gas, or were a little scared to try.
    My mom didn't pump her own gas until about 15 years ago; dad always took care of that. I do know that some women don't like doing it during the work week due to the chance of getting that one obnoxious drip of gasoline on themselves or their shoes while putting the nozzle back on, but they can always go back on the weekend.

Some ladies have never had a problem at the pump:

Genuine, willful, aggressive ignorance is the one sure way to tick me off. I wish I could say you were trolling. I know better, and it's just sad.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    My mom didn't pump her own gas until about 15 years ago; dad always took care of that. I do know that some women don't like doing it during the work week due to the chance of getting that one obnoxious drip of gasoline on themselves or their shoes while putting the nozzle back on, but they can always go back on the weekend.

Some ladies have never had a problem at the pump:

Donald Trump > SJW ass-tears

Quote Originally Posted by RJ Liberty View Post

Oregon is full of commies. Who else would name their football team the ducks?
    "The Patriarch"

I thought that's what husbands are for.

I pump my own gas about half the time. I'm not aware of full service stations here. There was one nearby when I was in school and I used to go there a lot just because they were so nice. They are now some sort of corporate convenience store now.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

Quote Originally Posted by euphemia View Post
    I thought that's what husbands are for.

I pump my own gas about half the time. I'm not aware of full service stations here. There was one nearby when I was in school and I used to go there a lot just because they were so nice. They are now some sort of corporate convenience store now.
    I don't mind pumping it, I just don't like paying for it. Mr Animal gets mad because every time he gets in my van the gas light dings on. I let him pay while I sniff gas at the pump. He has me on a budget and I don't like spending my money on gas. If I wait for him to get in my van, he pays. He's starting to catch on, though, and has begun insisting we take his car everywhere.
    The intellectual battle for liberty can appear to be a lonely one at times. However, the numbers are not as important as the principles that we hold. Leonard Read always taught that "it's not a numbers game, but an ideological game." That's why it's important to continue to provide a principled philosophy as to what the role of government ought to be, despite the numbers that stare us in the face.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    I don't mind pumping, I like the smell of gas.

I grew up with some guy who liked to huff gas. I would finish cutting the grass. He'd be walking down the street in his dumb hat, smoking a cigarette and such. One time he walks up and says, "Hey NCL, you ever huff gas?" I says, "Huff gas?" He says "Yeah, like this."

He puts his mouth over the gas can and does a big inhale. I did a lot of nonsense, but that was about the dumbest thing I ever saw. He was a real pyro, too. Fire and gas--guess they go together.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCount View Post
    ...I believe that when the government is capable of doing a thing, it will.
    Quote Originally Posted by Influenza View Post
    which one of yall fuckers wrote the "ron paul" racist news letters
    Quote Originally Posted by Dforkus View Post
    Zippy's posts are a great contribution.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthCarolinaLiberty View Post
    I grew up with some guy who liked to huff gas. I would finish cutting the grass. He'd be walking down the street in his dumb hat, smoking a cigarette and such. One time he walks up and says, "Hey NCL, you ever huff gas?" I says, "Huff gas?" He says "Yeah, like this."

He puts his mouth over the gas can and does a big inhale. I did a lot of nonsense, but that was about the dumbest thing I ever saw. He was a real pyro, too. Fire and gas--guess they go together.
    I never did that. I just like to stand over the pump and catch the fumes.

My wife does not like to go to the gas station because she says all the weirdos and sh*t.

But then she lives with me.

Disrupt, Deny, Deflate. Read the RPF trolls' playbook here (post #3): http://www.ronpaulforums.com/showthr...eptive-members

Hey, you ladies make sure that you're topping your oil off. Seriously now. Don't forget. It's important.

Quote Originally Posted by MelissaWV View Post
    I do know that some women don't like doing it during the work week due to the chance of getting that one obnoxious drip of gasoline on themselves or their shoes while putting the nozzle back on, but they can always go back on the weekend.
    I did traveling sales for awhile. I would always fill up the tank after my last customer visit. One drop of gas on yer shoe could really mess up a sales call.

Not to be a safety nazi or anything, but that's like, real bad for you.

I don't mind pumping the gas.
    #NashvilleStrong

“I’m a doctor. That’s a baby.”~~~Dr. Manny Sethi

You're not allowed to pump your own gas in Jersey.

Hope my story didn't come out the wrong way. I didn't mean you were off the wall enough to do what my friend did.

Every time I hear a story about gas and things like that, I just think of that incident. But yeah, I like the smell of some things like that, but it has to be really subtle. Might be an association with a good memory or something.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Hope my story didn't come out the wrong way. I didn't mean you were off the wall enough to do what my friend did.

Every time I hear a story about gas and things like that, I just think of that incident. But yeah, I like the smell of some things like that, but it has to be really subtle. Might be an association with a good memory or something.
    Fresh cut grass, gas, cookies baking, Ikea cinnamon rolls (taste like crap but smell divine), brand new school supplies, and man stank (not gross but a little ripe) - those are my favorite scents.

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. It smells like--victory."

"I love the smell of Napalm in the morning. It smells like--victory."

I associate the smell of gunpowder and oil with victory .

If I owned a station , I would make the Island closest to the door full service and offer to check oil too . You could sell a lot of quarts at whatever price you like , most cars with mileage are gonna be a half quart low between oil changes .

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    This list has them [New Jersey] 4th lowest by state. https://www.gasbuddy.com/USA

Tax Foundation says highest gas taxes are in Pennsylvania and Washington (state- not DC). California #5. New Jersey? #49. Alaska is #50. http://taxfoundation.org/blog/state-...tax-rates-2016

I lived in both New Jersey and New York City. I think a big reason for the lower NJ gas taxes was because of New York and Pennsylvania. New Jersey was always playing little brother to NYC and Philly. They would always do the "tax free" shopping and other things.

NJ would however, make up for it in many other areas. Their property taxes were through the roof. A co-worker who lived in a modest house paid 10k per year, and that was over 10 years ago.
    Last edited by NorthCarolinaLiberty; 08-28-2016 at 10:10 PM.

1. I hate that I can't pump my own. Waiting for the attendant to finish their bong hits before activating the pump is beyond annoying.
    2. NJ is trying to raise the gas tax 12.5% which would give us the 6th highest gas tax in the nation. A tax per mile has also been floated around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast