Thread: Is the Libertarian Migration to New Hampshire Having an Impact?

Is the Libertarian Migration to New Hampshire Having an Impact?

Q&A with Free State Project President Matt Philips.

Alex Manning & Nick Gillespie
    August 22, 2016

"Libertarians, who I'm afraid will be disappointed in [the] November [presidential election], will look at the Free State Project as a way that they can actually make a difference on a smaller level with more impact," Matt Philips told Reason's Nick Gillespie.

A 15-year-old initiative to get libertarians to move to New Hampshire, the Free State Project reached a milestone in February by collecting its 20,000th pledge to relocate to the Granite State within five years.

Gillespie sat down with Philips, who's president of the Free State Project, at FreedomFest 2016 to discuss how the initiative is progressing.

About 7 minutes and 30 seconds.

Produced by Alex Manning. Camera by Austin Bragg and Jim Epstein. Music by Podington Bear.
    https://reason.com/reasontv/2016/08/...t-matt-philips

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    So he waffles on state-owned liquor stores because it is a significant source of revenue... and the interviewer gives him a pass on it.

OK...
    Through lives and lives shalt thou pay, O' king.

Freedom will be stolen from you in a heartbeat if you do not behave as a wild and ravening beast pursuant to its protection.

"Government" is naught but a mental construct, a script to which people meekly accept and play out their assigned roles by those with no authority to dictate such.

freedomisobvious.blogspot.com

We get what we tolerate and we deserve what we get precisely because we tolerate it.

Then all these darned people from out of state moved in and tried to change our way of life.....

http://valleypatriot.com/free-state-...new-hampshire/

“Free Staters are the single biggest threat the state is facing today. There is, legally, nothing we can do to prevent them from moving here to take over the state, which is their openly stated goal. In this country you can move anywhere you choose and they have that same right. What we can do is to make the environment here so unwelcoming that some will choose not to come, and some may actually leave. One way is to pass measures that will restrict the “freedoms” that they think they will find here.”
    (substitute "US" for State and say Muslim or Mexican or Immigrant for "out of state people")
    Last edited by Zippyjuan; 08-29-2016 at 01:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippyjuan View Post
    Then all these darned people from out of state moved in and tried to change our way of life.....

http://valleypatriot.com/free-state-... here.”"
    Well, that is what politicians do best, suppress liberty.

http://valleypatriot.com/free-state-...new-hampshire/

(substitute "US" for State and say Muslim or Mexican or Immigrant for "out of state people")
    New Hampshire should build a wall and make Massachusetts pay for it ...

Libertarian Party Mises Caucus
    "The libertarian wing of the Libertarian Party."

Platform Our Actions

Mises PAC
    (Libertarian Party membership not required)

#TakeHumanAction Donate Merchandise

HOME Facebook Twitter YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by Occam's Banana View Post
    New Hampshire should build a wall and make Massachusetts pay for it ...
    Yes. A dome even.
    I am the spoon.

Apparently, they're having enough of an impact that New Hampshire Democrats are conducting Internet forums cope-sessions to fret and moan and try to figure out what to do about it. One such forum is the subject of the video below.

The forum itself starts after about 34:00 ("Taxation is theft" gets a name-check just after 55:00 ).

"You really need to understand what's going on, and that's the whole reason for having this presentation ... It isn't to ... make them ... look like the Boogeyman - even if they are the Boogeyman ..." -- 1:53:53

The NH Democrats are having a hissy fit over the Free State Project, and we're streaming it live
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eRR-42PGBj0
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-08-2021 at 01:05 AM.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Apparently, they're having enough of an impact that New Hampshire Democrats are conducting Internet forums cope-sessions to fret and moan and try to figure out what to do about it. One such forum is the subject of the video below.

The forum itself starts after about 34:00 ("Taxation is theft" gets a name-check just after 55:00 ).

"You really need to understand what's going on, and that's the whole reason for having this presentation ... It isn't to ... make them ... look like the Boogeyman - even if they are the Boogeyman ..." -- 1:53:53

The NH Democrats are having a hissy fit over the Free State Project, and we're streaming it live
    And they start out by talking about the strategy of that prominent libertarian, Mitch McConnell.
    "Foreign aid is taking money from the poor people of a rich country, and giving it to the rich people of a poor country." - Ron Paul
    "Beware the Military-Industrial-Financial-Pharma-Corporate-Internet-Media-Government Complex." - B4L update of General Dwight D. Eisenhower
    "Debt is the drug, Wall St. Banksters are the dealers, and politicians are the addicts." - B4L
    "Totally free immigration? I've never taken that position. I believe in national sovereignty." - Ron Paul

Proponent of real science.
    The views and opinions expressed here are solely my own, and do not represent this forum or any other entities or persons.

From another thread: New Hampshire bill to put secession on the ballot
    Quote Originally Posted by DadaOrwell View Post
    Local authoritarians gathered in an online meeting this month to complain about the progress of the NH independence movement and other NH libertarian successes. Of course, a friendly attended and recorded the whole thing for your enjoyment.

https://forum.shiresociety.com/t/vid...-threat/12967/
    From DadaOrwell's link: VIDEO: NH Statists Hold ANOTHER Lengthy Seminar on Free State Project’s Threat

NH Statists FREAKING Out About the FSP

In a strong unintended endorsement, the New Hampshire democrats had yet another online meeting tonight to expose the Free State Project‘s migrants for infiltrating the republican party, winning dozens of state house seats, and our various other tremendous successes.

Despite claiming our numbers are small, the entire video conference – put on by former state reps, at least one of whom migrated to NH – was all about how well-organized our decentralized freedom migration has been. The statists are extremely concerned about the Free State Project, as evidenced by the fact that they have held multiple such meetings like this over the last several years. They used to be held in person but now they are too frightened of catching a cold to meet in real life, and it’s easier to keep the liberty activists out of the discussion this way.

The former state reps giving the presentation believe that there’s some secret big libertarian money funding activists to move here, which is totally false. Otherwise, they have clearly done a LOT of homework to learn as much as they can about this movement, because it is working. We are a peaceful threat to the status quo and they hate that liberty is rising in New Hampshire.

Thankfully, YouTuber and NH resident Dr. Karlyn Borysenko live streamed the event on her channel for hundreds of live viewers, so you can watch the democrats’ whole presentation. It’s basically a 90-minute promo piece for the Free State Project.

Nowhere else in the other 49 states are the people in power actually worried about libertarian activists. The reason they aren’t concerned, is because libertarians are completely ineffective. The reason we’re so ineffective elsewhere is because there are so few of us, spread across the entire country. That’s the reason the Free State Project was formed. It was a good idea and two decades later it’s a proven success. The statists are very, very scared.

Watch the whole hilarious seminar here – this link jumps you to 35 minutes into Karlyn’s stream where the democrat presentation begins: [see above for video - OB]
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 11-08-2021 at 10:25 PM.

Wow, that's pretty encouraging! If only we could get some Free Staters in the Senate though.

State Senate snuffs latest cannabis legalization effort in N.H.
    https://www.nhpr.org/nh-news/2022-04...a-legalization

I was under the impression that the free state project was kinda a failure. I thought only a small portion of people moved there. So if only a few moved there and got elected, they must have convinced those already there to vote for them or rig elections.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennwaldSnowdenAssanged View Post
    I was under the impression that the free state project was kinda a failure. I thought only a small portion of people moved there. So if only a few moved there and got elected, they must have convinced those already there to vote for them or rig elections.
    Same here. I won't pretend like I remember everything or know every detail, but here are my assumptions that I'd love to have refuted, confirmed, etc.

I thought the FSP's goal was to get 25,000-50,000 "liberty lovers" to NH and start having impacts on local and state elections. End goal being turning NH into a libertarian utopia. Last I heard, less than 5,000 people had actually moved there in a span of about 10 years that were actually part of the FSP.

With that said, I have no idea if these people moved to a single area or just moved all over the state. If it's the latter, this plan was doomed from the start. If you don't have concentrations of people, you can't concentrate your power. That last sentences makes most of us here cringe, but that's the name of the game. The FSP would have been better off having 5,000 people move to a county (or two) where they could really start swaying numbers and elections, then building from there.

To me, this is the same argument I apply to the California people - you're in a hornet's nest with no hope in hell of changing anything. Moving to another state with a greater concentration of people like you (us on here) could likely have a better impact long term. And then I'm kindly responded to about the weather, the wineries, the coast, etc. I get it. I understand. My point is still valid just as theirs is.

Side note:
    Even so, I'm really starting to lose my patience with libertarians (not libertarianism, per se) and it's now all gone with the LP itself.
    I'm starting to shift more right as I get older and see what this libertine society brings us with the LGBTQXYZ mafias, groomers, etc. And I don't want any part of it. I think there's too large of a chunk of libertarians who are $#@!ing goofball neckbeards who can't even dress nicely enough to formal or political events and then wonder why the mainstream won't take them seriously. Add to that the massive atheist population in libertarians and you start to have some interesting recipes brewing.
    And no, that last part is not meant to start some atheism vs. religious people argument. It's a point I've made on here before that if you don't have an underlying belief that there is a power higher than man that governs, you may find yourself at some point thinking man is king of all and our arc cannot be stopped by anyone or anything (as many leftists think).
    Welcome to the R3VOLUTION!

https://twitter.com/NHpilled/status/1538179737776013312

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    "Our nation's ideological self-segregation is proceeding nicely." -- Michael Malice

https://twitter.com/LeslieD38009274/...97581194526720
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; Today at 03:56 AM.

Select a tag for more discussion on that topic