Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Liberland: founding a new libertarian country in Europe

Liberland: founding a new libertarian country in Europe

Meet the Man Who Claims He Just Founded a New Country in Europe

Welcome to "Liberland"

A Czech man is claiming to be the president of a new country he founded in Europe.

Vit Jedlicka, a member of the conservative Party of Free Citizens in the Czech Republic, is the self-appointed president of Liberland, which he says sits on unclaimed terra nullius territory wedged between Serbia and Croatia. The 3 sq. mi. “country,” where taxes are optional and a military is nonexistent, does not “interfere with the territory” of the two states, according to Liberland’s website.

“The objective of the founders of the new state is to build a country where honest people can prosper without being oppressed by governments making their lives unpleasant through the burden of unnecessary restrictions and taxes,” reads a statement announcing the creation of the new country this week. The country’s motto is: “To live and let live.”

Jedlicka, speaking by phone from Prague, told TIME that the effort began as a political stunt to garner media attention. “It started a little bit like a protest,” Jedlicka, 31, said. “But now it’s really turning out to be a real project with real support.”

The project has already received roughly 20,000 applications for citizenship, according to Jedlicka, who estimated that the country will receive as many as 100,000 applications by the end of next week (Liberland’s website has details of how to apply for citizenship, including sending an email of introduction—a C.V. is optional). Jedlicka added that some people already have plans to relocate.

“We have the busiest immigration office in the world,” he joked of his seven-person volunteer staff that he expects will grow.

The citizenship process is selective, and Jedlicka says only between 3,000 and 5,000 people will be granted citizenship in the coming weeks. Down the line, he said he expects the number of citizens to be comparable to Liechtenstein, a 62 sq. mi. country that borders Switzerland and Austria with 35,000 people (not all citizens will live in Liberland).

Jedlicka was active in his party in the Czech Republic, but he said he efforts to oppose government largesse proved fruitless. “So we decided we have to go the other way around,” he said. “We have to set up another country and really start the other way around.”

“I’m still going to be active in Czech politics,” he said, though he noted that Czech laws may forbid a president of another country from running for office. “I would probably resign and let somebody else run Liberland for me if there was a chance to do political change in the Czech Republic.”

Liberland is a “peaceful” country and will have no standing army. If neighbors Croatia or Serbia were to oppose, he said he would put up only “passive defense.”

“We will move, but we will keep our claim to the country,” he said. So far he’s still awaiting a diplomatic response from the country’s neighbors.

The Serbian and Croatian Embassies in the United States did not immediately respond to requests for comment.
    http://time.com/3825100/man-claims-n...e/?xid=fbshare
    Last edited by Occam's Banana; 09-15-2023 at 05:46 PM. Reason: added old thread title to post

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I'd like to make my little county b/w Seattle and Vancouver another Liberland.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wh...1f5b2d6cd7b1ab
    Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne,--
    Yet that scaffold sways the future, and, behind the dim unknown,
    Standeth God within the shadow, keeping watch above his own.
    ‫‬‫‬

looks wooded and fairly flat. 3 square miles is a bit small...
    https://www.google.com/maps/place/45...!3m1!1s0x0:0x0

http://liberland.org/en/about/

I'm really tempted to apply, but I think their might be issues with dual citizenship's from the US Gvmt.

How to become a citizen of Liberland

Do you want to become a citizen of Liberland? Liberland is currently accepting applications for citizenship, which will be processed in due time.

Who is needed in Liberland?
    Liberland currently needs people who:
    have respect for other people and respect the opinions of others, regardless of their race, ethnicity, orientation, or religion
    have respect for private ownership which is untouchable
    do not have communist, nazi or other extremist past
    were not punished for past criminal offences
    How to apply?
    Send an e-mail message to info@liberland.org, comprising of:
    An introductory letter, where you introduce yourself and write brief information about who you are and why you want to become a citizen of Liberland. As an attachment you can also send your curriculum vitae.
    Scanned valid identity card or a part of valid passport with your photo where you can digitally black out all text data except first name, last name, gender, date of birth, nationality, date of issue and validity date (you can black out identification number, social security number, signature, etc.). The data will be used to issue ID documents for citizens of Liberland. If the scanned document does not contain your current permanent address, please give it in the message text of the e-mail.
    If possible, please include your phone number where we can reach you.
    Requests will be processed according to the day of delivery. We communicate electronically only, since in the territory of Liberland there is no physical location for mail delivery yet.

-t

Vit Jedlicka, a member of the conservative Party of Free Citizens in the Czech Republic, is the self-appointed president of Liberland, which he says sits on unclaimed terra nullius territory wedged between Serbia and Croatia.
    You know,if he had shopped around,he might have found some cheaper real estate in the DMZ between North and South Korea.

Even Eastern Ukraine or Northern Nigeria might have proven to be a little bit cheaper.
    Inspired by US Rep. Ron Paul of Texas, this site is dedicated to facilitating grassroots initiatives that aim to restore a sovereign limited constitutional Republic based on the rule of law, states' rights and individual rights. We seek to enshrine the original intent of our Founders to foster respect for private property, seek justice, provide opportunity, and to secure individual liberty for ourselves and our posterity.

A police state is a small price to pay for living in the freest country on earth.

Quote Originally Posted by axiomata View Post
    I'd like to make my little county b/w Seattle and Vancouver another Liberland.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Wh...1f5b2d6cd7b1ab
    Just be sure to get permission before you do it
    It's all about taking action and not being lazy. So you do the work, whether it's fitness or whatever. It's about getting up, motivating yourself and just doing it.
    - Kim Kardashian

Donald Trump / Crenshaw 2024!!!!

My pronouns are he/him/his

I wonder how many people already lived there?

Quote Originally Posted by milgram View Post
    I wonder how many people already lived there?
    Judging from the aerial photography, I'd say none. No roads going into the area, no structures, just lots of trees. Forrest. Not even a little bit of it cleared to grow crops.

-t

Well, at least I know what country I'm going to build my underground fortress in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sister Miriam Godwinson View Post
    We Must Dissent.

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    I hope we don't invade them.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

The Duchy of Grand Fenwick?

Declare war on the US, surrender and then apply for US foreign aid.

Nice claim.

Its a "river island" (fluvial/oxbow/anabranch island) between two sovereign countries.

In the continental US the EPA would pretty much own it.
    Last edited by presence; 04-17-2015 at 06:08 PM.

'We endorse the idea of voluntarism; self-responsibility: Family, friends, and churches to solve problems, rather than saying that some monolithic government is going to make you take care of yourself and be a better person. It's a preposterous notion: It never worked, it never will. The government can't make you a better person; it can't make you follow good habits.' - Ron Paul 1988

Awareness is the Root of Liberation Revolution is Action upon Revelation

'Resistance and Disobedience in Economic Activity is the Most Moral Human Action Possible' - SEK3

Flectere si nequeo superos, Acheronta movebo.

...the familiar ritual of institutional self-absolution...
    ...for protecting them, by mock trial, from punishment...

In before "I'm not moving there, Anarchy has to move to me. Because I am a precious flower child"
    In New Zealand:
    The Coastguard is a Charity
    Air Traffic Control is a private company run on user fees
    The DMV is a private non-profit
    Rescue helicopters and ambulances are operated by charities and are plastered with corporate logos
    The agriculture industry has zero subsidies
    5% of the national vote, gets you 5 seats in Parliament
    A tax return has 4 fields
    Business licenses aren't a thing
    Prostitution is legal
    We have a constitutional right to refuse any type of medical care

Roflmao (dont know what it exactly means but it seems appropriate)....
    You cant just claim other peoples/countries lands. He had no claim whatsoever.

Few hours after he seized/took/occupied/whatever that land Croatian and Serbian armed forces removed all illegal immigrants from that territory (it is more a field than a territory).

Its like Mexican comes to border between Canada ans US and takes some land and claims it is his now... then he founds a state.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post

Yes and no.
    Not unless you go back to 1492, and other various times throughout history, but yea it's not as popular today.

, ,

Wiki says the Party of Free Citizens is classical liberal, supports free markets & subscribes to the Austrian School of economic thought.

Ok, so one can safely assume that this guy believes in the virtue of profits. Then, why not make the whole thing a for-profit venture? I don't think that just attracting a couple of thousand nuts is going to do much to advance the idea of freedom & free markets, at best it will be inconsequential & at worse, gunned down by another State. If one really wishes to sell the idea of freedom then it must be made profitable. Ideally, if he could get renowned companies/investors to invest in the project & thereby build some confidence around the idea then the land could attract decent capital from "tax refugees" & make the whole idea profitable; & once it's shown to be profitable, it will attract more & more interest from investors & companies, & that might lead to the creation of more "liberlands".

And, if he does go along with his idea, he shouldn't make it a democracy, please, NO, just make it into a monarchy/oligarchy or just set up a new company & sell its shares & use the capital to improve the "country", make it liveable, & turn it into an attractive, financially viable, for-profit, libertarian model of governance.
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by Barrex View Post
    Roflmao (dont know what it exactly means but it seems appropriate)....

Few hours after he seized/took/occupied/whatever that land Croatian and Serbian armed forces removed all illegal immigrants from that territory (it is more a field than a territory).

Its like Mexican comes to border between Canada ans US and takes some land and claims it is his now... then he founds a state.
    http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=ROFLMAO

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.

In the week since Liberland announced its creation and invited prospective residents to join the project, they have received about 200,000 citizenship applications – one every three seconds – from almost every country in the world.

Prospective citizens are also offering Liberland their expertise in areas from solar power and telecoms to town planning and coin minting. “There is a spontaneous ordering taking place,” Jedlicka says. “People have planned the whole city in three days and others really want to move in and invest … what seemed like a dream now really looks possible.”

Liberland’s only stipulations are that applicants respect individual rights, opinions and private property, and have no criminal record or Nazi or Communist party background.

Jedlicka says: “The model citizen of Liberland would be [American founding father] Thomas Jefferson, which is why we established the country on his birthday. Citizens will be able to pursue happiness and this is the place where we can make this happen.”

Crucial to this flourishing, he believes, is fiscal policy. Liberland is the dream of a man whose earlier membership of the Czech Civic Democratic party and current loyalty to the Free Citizens party puts him firmly on the right. Staunchly anti-EU, Jedlicka says he has “pretty close relations” with the Swiss People’s party and “will meet with British politicians to discuss Nigel Farage’s plans to leave the EU”.

“Taxation will be optional and people will only finance specific development projects,” says Jedlicka. “We have to see how the foreign ministries react and we need to explain to them the kind of prosperity we can bring to the region. It will bring in money from all over the world: not only to Liberland, which would be a tax haven, but to the whole area. We could turn this area into a Monaco, Liechtenstein or Hong Kong.

“We have decided to start from scratch and show how little state is needed to make society work. The media calls us rightwing but we are not: we are not here for the rich; we are not here for the poor; we are here for everybody. This project has something for everybody and that’s the fantastic thing about it.

“We are a nation of people who are not happy with the recent status quo, with state interference and high taxation. And what really makes a nation if not a common feeling and approach to something?”

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...ntry?CMP=fb_gu

All fun well....unless people are serious... then it is fun and retarded... the more people write about it and discuss it seriously the funnier and retardedier (or is it retardedlididirlidochen) it gets.
    Today I decided to get banned and spam activism on this forum...

SUPPORT RANDPAULDIGITAL GRASSROOTS PROJECTS TODAY!

http://i.imgur.com/SORJlQ5.png

For more info. or to help spread the word, go to the promotion thread here.

Quote Originally Posted by orenbus View Post
    If I had to answer this question truthfully I'd probably piss a lot of people off lol, Barrex would be a better person to ask he doesn't seem to care lol.

Quote Originally Posted by idiom View Post
    In before "I'm not moving there, Anarchy has to move to me. Because I am a precious flower child"
    Actually my first thought was, I'm not moving there because the people doing it are not willing to shoot the faces off of the people who will come to stop them.
    There are no crimes against people.
    There are only crimes against the state.
    And the state will never, ever choose to hold accountable its agents, because a thing can not commit a crime against itself.

Gulag Chief:
    "Article 58-1a, twenty five years... What did you get it for?"
    Gulag Prisoner: "For nothing at all."
    Gulag Chief: "You're lying... The sentence for nothing at all is 10 years"

Has the US declared war yet? There's rumors he's working on a NUCLEAR BOMB!

Do they have any oil to steal?
    Can we grow poppies there?
    Are there any children to traffic?
    Do they have a central bank yet?
    Does the Vatican have a Catholic branch there yet so there can be satanic rituals yet?
    Underage prostitution is legal there right?

President of Liberland Vít Jedlička shall visit Croatia Embassy in Prague and start diplomatic mission

Tomorrow, April 27th 2015 in 09:00 AM, President of Liberland Vít Jedlička shall visit Croatia Embassy in Prague (V Průhledu 9, 162 00 Prague 6). He shall present an diplomatic note, officially announcing formation of the new neighbouring state, the Free republic of Liberland, to the Republic of Croatia. In the note, the President also announces sincere intent of the Free Republic of Liberland to respect the internatonal law and wish to have friendly relations with all members of the international community.

His visit of the Croatian Embassy is a beginning of political and diplomatic mission, during which Vít Jedlička shall visit Vienna, Zagreb and Belgrade. There he shall meet applicants for Liberland citizenship, diplomats and media, and introduces them to Liberland Constitution and basic principles of the republic.

Liberland’s president Vít Jedlička schedule:

Monday, 27th April
    09:00 Meeting at Croatia Embassy in Prague - handover of offical diplomatic note
    13:00 Lunch with Austrian bussinessmen and with applicants to Liberland citizenship in Vienna
    19:00 Free Market Road Show Zagreb 2015

Tuesday, 28th April
    12:00 Lunch with applicants to Liberland citizenship in Zagreb

Wednesday, 29th April
    13:00 Lunch with Serbian bussinessmen and applicants to Liberland citizenship in Belgrade
    14:30 Free Market Road Show 2015 Belgrade - official invitation
    http://liberland.org/en/news/preside...mission-53.htm

Even a free country has selective immigration lol.

28. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    LIBERLAND WANTS TO CREATE ITS OWN CRYPTOCURRENCY & ACCEPTS BITCOIN FOR STATE BUDGET

Vit Jedlička, a member of the conservative Party of Free Citizens in the Czech Republic, has declared himself the President of Liberland, a nation upon terra nullius between Serbia and Croatia.

Founded upon the principles of freedom, Liberland has received tens of thousands of applications for citizenship in a 3 square mile country where taxes are optional and military is non-existent.

“The objective of the founders of the new state is to build a country where honest people can prosper without being oppressed by governments making their lives unpleasant through the burden of unnecessary restrictions and taxes,” states the announcement of World’s newest country.

“To live and let live” is the country’s motto. “We have the busiest immigration office in the world,” Jedlička quipped to TIME.

The country is located on the west bank of the Danube between Croatia and Serbia, land which has long gone unclaimed because of a border dispute.

We sat down with the world’s newest unelected President, Vit Jedlička, for an exclusive interview for our readers.

Interview with the World’s Newest Unelected President Vit Jedlička

Where did the idea for Liberland come from?

From the fact that most of the states in Europe take too much from the citizens and provide very poor services at the same time. That there is an enormous number of people and companies who instead of working and creating wealth are living off government subsidies and welfare.

What is terra nullius and how much land is terra nullius on earth today?

Very little now. My friend, the King of Northern Sudan, has taken over the last piece of land between Sudan and Egypt. But if you check Wikipedia you will find some more.

Is there any historical example of a nation being formed based off terra nullius?

Basically every country which started on a place where there was no other government was created this way.

Cryptocurrency communities have a lot of interest in Liberland. Why do you think this is?

Because we accept bitcoins as donations to state budget and we also plan to have a free market in currency. We would like to set up our own cryptocurrency in the near future.

How well aware is the Liberland leadership of Bitcoin?

We actually started our own cryptocurrency a year ago Emoticoin. It was successful for a long time but then we lost interest in the project. It is still alive, however.

https://www.cryptocoinsnews.com/libe...-state-budget/

OMFG he's not opening the borders and letting in absolutely every jerkoff who wants to be a citizen!11!! Teh anti-liburrrrty!1!!!111
    NeoReactionary. American High Tory.

The counter-revolution will not be televised.

Quote Originally Posted by alucard13mm View Post
    Even a free country has selective immigration lol.
    Of course! Those who wish to be free must distance themselves from those who support coercion!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    OMFG he's not opening the borders and letting in absolutely every jerkoff who wants to be a citizen!11!! Teh anti-liburrrrty!1!!!111
    Exactly!
    There is enormous inertia — a tyranny of the status quo — in private and especially governmental arrangements. Only a crisis — actual or perceived — produces real change. When that crisis occurs, the actions that are taken depend on the ideas that are lying around. That, I believe, is our basic function: to develop alternatives to existing policies, to keep them alive and available until the politically impossible becomes politically inevitable
    - Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    LIBERLAND WANTS TO CREATE ITS OWN CRYPTOCURRENCY & ACCEPTS BITCOIN FOR STATE BUDGET
    Thanks for keeping us all updated on this story. Who knows where this thing will lead those seeking maximal freedom! It is certainly an interesting experiment & if he makes the right moves (& I don't necessarily claim to know what all of them might be), it could be a significant step ahead for libertarianism.
    - Milton Friedman

Quote Originally Posted by ThePaleoLibertarian View Post
    It is his property, so he has the right to decide that.

A situation exhibiting "anti-liberty" would be if the governments of Serbia/Croatia began regulating the border between his private property, and the private property of other individuals that are adjacent to his.

Which is the situation we have here in the States.
    They confronted me in the day of my calamity, but the Lord was my support.

Quote Originally Posted by Suzanimal View Post
    A "country" that is a haven for laundering money for drug cartels and terrorist organizations... Que drones in 5, 4, 3, 2, 1... Followed by the 82nd Airborne...

Really, the only thing that would be worse is if they discovered oil.

-t
    Last edited by tangent4ronpaul; 04-30-2015 at 12:38 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast