Thread: PPP: Trump +15 in Utah, McMullin 9%

PPP: Trump +15 in Utah, McMullin 9%

In a year where much has been made of voters not liking their choices for President, there's probably nowhere that's truer than Utah. Donald Trump has a 31/61 favorability rating in the state. That makes him the popular candidate there, by comparison, as Hillary Clinton comes in at 23/72.

Clinton's unpopularity makes Utah probably a step too far for Democrats even in a year where Trump's weakness as a candidate is putting unusual states on the map. Trump leads the state with 39% to 24% for Clinton, with Gary Johnson at 12%, Evan McMullin at 9%, Darrell Castle at 2%, and Jill Stein at 1%. If voters had to choose just between the two major candidates, Trump's lead would grow to 20 points at 53/33.

Much has been made of Trump's unpopularity with Mormons and certainly that's a real thing- only 33% of Mormons see him favorably to 56% with an unfavorable opinion. But that still puts him in much better position than Clinton who comes in at 12/84 with Mormons. When it comes to the horse race Clinton is actually tied for third among Mormons in the state- Trump gets 44%, McMullin 13%, and Clinton and Johnson tie for third at 12%. Echoing a finding we made the last time we publicly polled Utah in 2011, non-Mormon Utah would be one of the most Democratic states in the country. Among non-Mormons in the state, Clinton leads by 16 points with 46% to 30% for Trump, and 11% for Johnson.

Even in a state where Trump's up big, problems loom for him in the polls. 65% of voters in the state think he needs to release his tax returns, to only 22% who don't think it's necessary for him to. That issue continues to pose doubts about him for voters, and even among his own supporters 44% think he needs to release them with only 36% saying he doesn't need to. Only 39% of voters think Trump can be trusted with nuclear weapons, to 48% who think he can't be. Trump's losing his battle with the media- by a double digit margin (45/34) voters say that the New York Times is more respectable than Trump is. And some of his recent statements are a step too far even for his supporters- Trump may want to be called 'Mr. Brexit' but only 6% of voters think he deserves credit for the United Kingdom voting to leave the European Union, to 70% who say he deserves no such credit. Even among Trump's own voters, just 11% buy the premise that Trump deserves credit for the Brexit vote.

We continue to find overwhelming belief among Trump voters that if Hillary Clinton wins the election it will only be because it was rigged on her behalf. 65% of Trump voters say a Clinton win will be due to voter fraud, compared to just 21% who think it will be because she received more voters. To give credit where it's due though Trump voters in Utah, contra North Carolina and Texas, at least don't think that ACORN will be the organization stealing the election for Clinton.
    The other major races in Utah this year shape up about how you'd expect. Gary Herbert is one of the more popular Governors in the country, with 57% of voters approving of him to only 26% who disapprove. He leads his reelection bid against Democratic challenger Mike Weinholtz 57-21, with third party candidates getting a total of 7%, and 14% of voters undecided.

It's a similar story in the US Senate race. Mike Lee's approval numbers are solid, on the curve of modern Senator approval ratings, with 42% of voters approving of the job he's doing to 34% who disapprove. He leads Democratic challenger Misty Snow 51-21, with independent candidates getting a total of 8% and 20% of voters still undecided. We also tested Jim Matheson since there's still time for Democrats to change their candidate. Matheson's popular- a +25 net favorability rating with 46% of voters seeing him positively to 21% with a negative view. But he'd still trail Lee by 7 points at 44-37, and if there's any Democrat who could win statewide in Utah at this point it's probably him.

Full results here http://www.publicpolicypolling.com/p...e_UT_82316.pdf

2. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Anybody who thought Utah was going to Hillary reads too many CPUd threads (and takes them seriously).
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

Quote Originally Posted by dannno View Post
    Anybody who thought Utah was going to Hillary reads too many CPUd threads (and takes them seriously).
    No but I've seen at least 1 person predict Johnson winning Utah.

EDIT: no sorry I think it was his home state New Mexico.
    I just want objectivity on this forum and will point out flawed sources or points of view at my leisure.

Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 01/15/24
    Trump will win every single state primary by double digits.
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 04/20/16
    There won't be a contested convention
    Quote Originally Posted by spudea on 05/30/17
    The shooting of Gabrielle Gifford was blamed on putting a crosshair on a political map. I wonder what event we'll see justified with pictures like this.

I wouldn't go so far as to predict Johnson winning Utah, but I have high hopes. This poll is a splash of cold water though.

Those who would rather not see Johnson succeed should find much to celebrate here.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

I'm a bit disappointed in the 33% favorable rating that Sausage McMuffins received.
    - ML

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Landon View Post
    I'm a bit disappointed in the 33% favorable rating that Sausage McMuffins received.
    - ML
    Sausage McMuffin can't get a fair shake, media's in the pockets of Big Bacon.

This actually bolsters the idea that at least part of McMullin's function is to keep the LP from getting the poll and vote percentages it needs nationally to advance to major party status. Irvin and Bill strike again.
    Partisan politics, misleading or emotional bill titles, and 4D chess theories are manifestations of the same lie—that the text of the Constitution, the text of legislation, and plain facts do not matter; what matters is what you want to believe. From this comes hypocrisy. And where hypocrisy thrives, virtue recedes. Without virtue, liberty dies. - Justin Amash, March 2018

10. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Did McMullin get ballot access?

- ML

Quote Originally Posted by undergroundrr View Post
    This actually bolsters the idea that at least part of McMullin's function is to keep the LP from getting the poll and vote percentages it needs nationally to advance to major party status. Irvin and Bill strike again.
    That's my impression.

They didn't run him to help Trump lose; he needed no such help.

They didn't run him to win, as that's obviously impossible.

So...what motives remain?

Utah will be very interesting.

It is definitely a conservative state, in the true meaning of the word.
    There is no spoon.

Chester Copperpot

Quote Originally Posted by r3volution 3.0 View Post
    Sausage McMuffin can't get a fair shake, media's in the pockets of Big Bacon.
    Hah I was just gonna call him McMuffin myself!! hahah

Pretty sure Johnson has a better shot at winning UT than Clinton. Well, until McMullin got on the ballot.
    “I don’t think that there will be any curtailing of Donald Trump as president,” he said. "He controls the media, he controls the sentiment [and] he controls everybody. He’s the one who will resort to executive orders more so than [President] Obama ever used them." - Ron Paul

Most Mormons & most Catholics & most evangelicals don't take Hitlerryian orders from their legislature or their house of worship or some faux-mormons like Issa, Chaffetz & Mia Love.

They are not too worried about divorce, sexual jokes, hilarious racial jokes, nasty words.

I mean Romney & Huntsman's families probably get offended. But a Mormon earning 61,000 is not getting offended.

Utah also has some idiot greedy money grubbing Mormons who brought in a bunch of refugees. I dont even know if they are converting them to Mormonism. Why bring in Somalis for instance. I doubt they convert to mormonism.

Candidate McMullin: Everything's gonna be all right
    Rockabye, rockabye
    Everything's gonna be all right
    Rockabye, rockabye
    Rockabye
    Last edited by RandallFan; 08-23-2016 at 06:53 PM.
    BOWLING GREEN, Kentucky – Washington liberals are trying to push through the so-called DREAM Act, which creates an official path to Democrat voter registration for 2 million college-age illegal immigrants.
    Rand Paul 2010

Booker T. Washington:
    Cast it down among the eight millions of Negroes whose habits you know, whose
    fidelity and love you have tested in days when to have proved treacherous meant the ruin of your firesides.

Quote Originally Posted by RandallFan View Post
    Most Mormons & most Catholics & most evangelicals don't take Hitlerryian orders from their legislature or their house of worship or some faux-mormons like Issa, Chaffetz & Mia Love.

They are not too worried about divorce, sexual jokes, hilarious racial jokes, nasty words.

I mean Romney & Huntsman's families probably get offended. But a Mormon earning 61,000 is not getting offended.

Utah also has some idiot greedy money grubbing Mormons who brought in a bunch of refugees. I dont even know if they are converting them to Mormonism. Why bring in Somalis for instance. I doubt they convert to mormonism.

Candidate McMullin: Everything's gonna be all right
    Rockabye, rockabye
    Everything's gonna be all right
    Rockabye, rockabye
    Rockabye
    Mormons are usually 1st responders around the world and are well-known for it.

The purpose of taking in refugees is to help them and to get them on their feet w/o hate of the American people. Many have reported that the Mormon Welfare System is one of the, if not THE, best in the world.

http://www.deseretnews.com/article/8...ve.html?pg=all

In 1982 President Reagan toured the Church's welfare services, praising the Church for its incredible resources.

“You know that I’ve talked for a long time about Americans doing for themselves, about the private initiative, about citizens’ groups doing so many things that government thinks only it can do," said Reagan. "And I have just toured a cannery—part of the program of the Latter-day Saints for meeting the needs of their people when they have to have help.”

President Reagan also noted that what makes the Church's welfare system so successful and unique is that it focuses on helping the needy not only provide for their immediate needs, but it gives them the experience, satisfaction, and opportunity to become self-sufficient.

“It’s an idea that once characterized our nation," he said. "It’s an idea that should be reborn nation-wide. It holds the key to renewal of America in the years ahead.”
    http://www.ldsliving.com/What-Presid...ormons/s/81574
    There is no spoon.

Quote Originally Posted by Chester Copperpot View Post
    Hah I was just gonna call him McMuffin myself!! hahah
    If you look at the actual polling, they literally had Sausage McMuffin as an option.

- ML

19. Remove this section of ads by registering.
    Quote Originally Posted by RandallFan View Post
    Why bring in Somalis for instance. I doubt they convert to mormonism.
    "He's talkin' to his gut like it's a person!!" -me
    "dumpster diving isn't professional." - angelatc
    "You don't need a medical degree to spot obvious bullshit, that's actually a separate skill." -Scott Adams
    "When you are divided, and angry, and controlled, you target those 'different' from you, not those responsible [controllers]" -Q

"Each of us must choose which course of action we should take: education, conventional political action, or even peaceful civil disobedience to bring about necessary changes. But let it not be said that we did nothing." - Ron Paul

"Paul said "the wave of the future" is a coalition of anti-authoritarian progressive Democrats and libertarian Republicans in Congress opposed to domestic surveillance, opposed to starting new wars and in favor of ending the so-called War on Drugs."

She might not crack 25 percent in Utah